Author Topic: What makes a HIGH QUALITY custom keeb PCB do you guys think??  (Read 2471 times)

Offline noxdbx

I have a personal custom keeb project. Now coming to design PCB.
What make a HIGH QUALITY custom keeb PCB do you guys think, in term of design/ construction/ finish?
What do you guys think? Pls advise me.

Offline Pylon

Re: What makes a HIGH QUALITY custom keeb PCB do you guys think??
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 23:51:09 »
Wrong subforum

Offline noxdbx

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 01:31:35 »
Sorry where should I post this?

Offline jamster

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 01:46:11 »
"Making stuff together" just search DIY under the homepage.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 02:24:58 »
not calling it a "keeb"
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 05:59:01 »
This issue a is a rabbit-hole with so many issues ...

Consider the person putting it together:
• Beautiful routing. Don't keep a rats-nest like Input Club's PCBs.
• All user-solderable components well laid-out. For instance, through-hole diodes in rows and columns and all facing the same direction, or even in pairs.
• Avoid putting through-hole solder pads too close to SMD components where they might get damaged by clumsy handling of the soldering iron.
• Don't route across a pad. If the pad gets lifted when desoldering, it should not have to be repaired by also having to bypass the pad: it should already be bypassed.
• Make sure that if you need multiple footprints for the same type of component, that they are similar. (There are PCBs out there where some key positions fit Holtite sockets and others don't)
• Some artistic flair is always appreciated!

If you have the microcontroller on the PCB:
• Consider USB breakout, with USB Type C. Or a through-hole header in addition to USB port on the PCB itself for those who'd want to customise.
• Fuse for overcurrent protection
• Unless you are only using a robust ĩC like an AVR, consider ESD protection. (which is not the same as overcurrent protection)
• The usual rules for grounding USB shield, USB C identifying resistors, routing power lines, routing, communication lines (D+, D-, IēC), making ground planes and placement of decoupling capacitors apply. You would need to learn them.

Features:
• People expect a couple layout options, even if you don't offer different plates, people could modify them.
• Always have holes for switches' fixing pins
• Reset button for entering the bootloader.

Things like SMD LEDs, flexcuts or whatever is not a quality issue, but preference.

There is a whole lot of discussion of various design issues in The Living PCB Design Thread.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2020, 06:02:11 by Findecanor »

Offline noxdbx

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 10:53:20 »
Thank you, this answer is what I am looking for. But I see you are talking about a good design. How about a high quality, in term of finish product? I mean the quality of components (capacitors, resistors,...) , pcb material, wielding material, silver or gold coating,... etc?
This issue a is a rabbit-hole with so many issues ...

Consider the person putting it together:
• Beautiful routing. Don't keep a rats-nest like Input Club's PCBs.
• All user-solderable components well laid-out. For instance, through-hole diodes in rows and columns and all facing the same direction, or even in pairs.
• Avoid putting through-hole solder pads too close to SMD components where they might get damaged by clumsy handling of the soldering iron.
• Don't route across a pad. If the pad gets lifted when desoldering, it should not have to be repaired by also having to bypass the pad: it should already be bypassed.
• Make sure that if you need multiple footprints for the same type of component, that they are similar. (There are PCBs out there where some key positions fit Holtite sockets and others don't)
• Some artistic flair is always appreciated!

If you have the microcontroller on the PCB:
• Consider USB breakout, with USB Type C. Or a through-hole header in addition to USB port on the PCB itself for those who'd want to customise.
• Fuse for overcurrent protection
• Unless you are only using a robust ĩC like an AVR, consider ESD protection. (which is not the same as overcurrent protection)
• The usual rules for grounding USB shield, USB C identifying resistors, routing power lines, routing, communication lines (D+, D-, IēC), making ground planes and placement of decoupling capacitors apply. You would need to learn them.

Features:
• People expect a couple layout options, even if you don't offer different plates, people could modify them.
• Always have holes for switches' fixing pins
• Reset button for entering the bootloader.

Things like SMD LEDs, flexcuts or whatever is not a quality issue, but preference.

There is a whole lot of discussion of various design issues in The Living PCB Design Thread.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2020, 10:58:47 by noxdbx »

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 11:23:04 »

Offline jamster

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 00:21:20 »
Thank you, this answer is what I am looking for. But I see you are talking about a good design. How about a high quality, in term of finish product? I mean the quality of components (capacitors, resistors,...) , pcb material, wielding material, silver or gold coating,... etc?

Assuming that this is a personal one-off project, I would have thought that would be the last of your worries, and could be worked around simply by finding a good PCB fabrication place. Have you figured out the design yet, surely that's going to be the complex part.

Offline captain

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 06:57:37 »
A hi kwality keeb will add milk to the cereal port. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.