Author Topic: Where is the REAL Sandy's bolt-mod, if it still exists?  (Read 1584 times)

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Where is the REAL Sandy's bolt-mod, if it still exists?
« on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 18:28:42 »
The real Sandy's bolt-mod that used to be in the geekhack wikis before r00tw0rm was the Holy Grail of Model M bolt-modding.

I cannot even imagine attempting it without Sandy's (whoever "Sandy" really is) guidance. I posted the question and got this

http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/repair_model_m.html

which may have been a very crude early prototype, but nothing like the final polished version.

Does anybody know whether it is anywhere to be found, now?

Thanks, Harry
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline bazemk1979

Re: Where is the REAL Sandy's bolt-mod, if it still exists?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 18:53:58 »
We all have our ways of bolt modding, me for example like to mark the spots where I'm suppose to drill with thin conical tip from my solder station. I also use dremel for drilling instead like other peeops that use the manual drill....... takes like forever with that thing, also I like snipping off the rivets necks with snippers, really quick and efficient.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 19:06:26 »
We all have our ways of bolt modding, me for example like to mark the spots where I'm suppose to drill with thin conical tip from my solder station. I also use dremel for drilling instead like other peeops that use the manual drill....... takes like forever with that thing, also I like snipping off the rivets necks with snippers, really quick and efficient.

Yes, I have a "chisel" blade for my Exacto knife which is much better than a carpenter's chisel. I use an old(er) blade to cut off the melted rivets behind the plate, then employ a fresh blade to carefully slice off the stubs clean and flat. I leave them as long as I can, since they go (went) through the metal plate, anyway.

I drill with a Dremel (I had to buy a chuck to fit a 1/16" bit) and it is fast enough. Actually, I wish I had another setting or 2 below "Low" for better control. And, yes, I start my holes with a divot from my soldering iron.

Sandy's description for preserving the crescent-shaped stand-offs was particularly good, I fear that these newbies are using huge bits and bolts are destroying the delicate fit. The tiny 2mm bolts are just the right size, and, with care, they can go through the interior of the shaft of the rivet without damaging the walls.

I had not planned to go through this exercise any time soon, since I have at least 2 barrel plates (aka "chimneys") already drilled with bolts installed, but when and if I do, I will try to take photos and re-create Sandy's magnificent work.

Too bad I have lost interest in the Model M after getting spoiled by the Model F.
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 20:39:51 »
the model F feels good for sure, I should of snatched one 122 keys from ebay for 30 bucks when I had the chance but instead I posted here as great finds, lol what a self inflicted shafting.... Don't get me started when one morning I woke up checked ebay and saw SSK for buy it now price of $50.... didn't got it because it came with RJ45 connector, would of most likely work with PS/2 cable, but I was noob then  :P
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?