Author Topic: Painting it beige ...  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Findecanor

Painting it beige ...
« on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 02:39:25 »
Several years ago, when I built my Phantom tenkeyless keyboard, I had built a case for it from parts from a BTC 5140 top and from bits and pieces of several other keyboards and not-keyboards.
For keycaps, I had chosen thick Cherry PBT in cream-white and grey, scavenged from multiple keyboards.
I liked the slight curve of the case top because it reminded me of the Apple Extended Keyboard II and at one time I tried putting an enameled Cherry Pin at the top corner, but in the end I opted not to.
Of course, the case looked like crap made from different plastic pieces so it had to be painted. For primer, I used Duplicolor beige primer that I already had on hand and found that that was not too far off from the Cherry grey, so I kept it.
Unfortunately the primer has a slight green tinge, but I have not heard about anything better.

174495-0

After a few years, the paint got quite scuffed so I took it apart and touched up the primer.

I have not heard about any better beige paint for painting cases to look like vintage.
Then... I read about a 3D-printed Apple II Raspberry Pi Enclosure, and the recommendation was that it should be painted in Montana Gold Sahara Yellow.
For an "Apple Platinum" look, the recommendation was Montana Gold Shock White Cream.

This is how it looks. For comparison. The painted case half is in the middle.
174493-1

I am not happy with that at all. It looks like plastic that has yellowed a lot in the sun and it is even greener than the primer I had used.

For comparison is a BTC 5140 (same model that I had built the case from), slightly yellowed, a Cherry two-tone cream and grey keyboard, and an Apple Extended Keyboard II (keys switches harvested for other things)
I also painted a card in Montana Gold Elm, which looked greyer in the swatch in the store - but the swatch must have been dirty. Montana Gold Shock White Cream is supposed to be whiter and only slightly less yellow than that card -- but you can see that the Apple Platinum style is darker.
The Apple keyboard is also darker than the Cherry.

So, MG Sahara Yellow was not a good recommendation at all, and it is probably that the MG White Cream would be a poor choice as well.

On the plus side, however... The Montana Gold spray paint often gives a grainy finish, which is really unwelcome for almost every application except when you are trying to mimic the finish on a plastic keyboard case.

What do you think I should do? Strip and repaint with primer, go for a completely unsaturated grey Montana Gold or something else?
If you have a recommendation for a "beige" spray paint, then please share!
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 July 2017, 02:45:59 by Findecanor »

Offline fnurl

Re: Painting it beige ...
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 03:05:24 »

I have not heard about any better beige paint for painting cases to look like vintage.
Then... I read about a 3D-printed Apple II Raspberry Pi Enclosure, and the recommendation was that it should be painted in Montana Gold Sahara Yellow.
For an "Apple Platinum" look, the recommendation was Montana Gold Shock White Cream.

This is how it looks. For comparison. The painted case half is in the middle.
(Attachment Link)

Thanks for the share! Have been thinking about this too. Have also thought about how to get a powder coat look,but not tried anything. Will be following this thread!

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 10:13:58 »
I have just been looking into this myself and would like to see what others have found too.

The closest I could find is Rustoleum matte French Cream:

174502-0

I've used it on an XT case. It looks good but I think it is a little brighter, towards the whiter side, than the original color. Closest I've found so far, but if anyone has found a better match please post!

Offline DaanRademaker

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 15:25:34 »
First of all, interesting idea painting the case beige. I think getting this type of color in a spray can from lets say your local home depot will not be your best shot. What you can do however is look at mixing your own 2k paints (based on my experience from building motorcycles haha.), basically there are 2 options.

1. If you own a compressor, (or if you fancy buying one, they also work great when cleaning keyboards!) you can purchase lets say a white and "gold" type of paint, and then mix them yourself. If you buy 2k paints (and just to be safe from the same manufacturer), mixing them is straight forward. Put them in a cup and stir :). This will give you the most flexibility. Furthermore, you do not need special plastic primers, you can simply buy a 2k primer. 2k has some very attractive properties, such as being quite flexible (which is a must when spraying plastics).

2. I don't know where your situated, but in the Netherlands there are online paint suppliers that will mix a 2k paint for you in a spray can! You can simply send them a color sample. However, this of course does not give you full control, and you can't adapt the mix or test it to get the color you want.

If you have more questions regarding 2k painting, I am more than happy to guide you to some great resources.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 08:21:12 »
One more for the list:

Mtn 94 "Koala Grey". Not too bright but has a quite pinkish hue which does not match anything vintage.

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 10:07:19 »
Daan Rademaker beat me to it. But listen to that advice, it'll give you the best results.

Get a sample of the exact color that pushes your buttons.

Find that local car paint/service company that has a paint color mixer.

Give them the sample and order that exact color. You'll get a number. Keep it, or write it on the back of the keyboard case, so you know what to order later on. Better yet, post it in this thread! :)
This number should let anyone with that paint mix system recreate this color by typing it into the machine. You might get a slight difference depending on the batch.

If you don't have a paint gun/airbrush and a compressor, you'll need to ask those guys to have your case painted. You might want to ask them anyway, since it'll get painted with a professional system that won't leak compressor oil, get properly degreased, primed, and sprayed on in a controlled humidity environment. You'll save time, lungs and trouble.

This may be more expensive, but the upside is that you can get really fancy colors made that way, like metallic matte. The paint should last longer as well.

Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAL_colour_standard
Check the "See also" section on the bottom.

Custom canned spray paints Daan mentions are a thing in the US as well, it seems. Search engine threw these up:
https://www.myperfectcolor.com/Custom-Color-Spray-Paint/33865.htm
http://spectrumpaint.com/customspraypaint/
It's essentially the same as above, but they pack the paint in a can for you to spray on.