Author Topic: [IC] Whimsy - 40% Keyboard | UPDATED DESIGN AND GB INCOMING!  (Read 197999 times)

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
Re: [IC] Whimsy - 40% Keyboard | UPDATED DESIGN AND GB INCOMING!
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 16:59:26 »
I might end up resin printing a case to save money.

Offline Senbeii

• Swiggity Swag Whats In Da Bag
    • Keyoto
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 18:27:45 »
A 40% that makes me want a 40%........  :-X

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #152 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 17:16:54 »
Thanks for the update.

I'm looking to own at least one board at each layout - 40%, 60%, 65%, 75%, and TKL.

I got the Whimsy as my 40%. Just need to see the production aluminum prototypes, and you got my money. Good luck my man.

Offline EchoOneZero

« Reply #153 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 10:58:27 »
This is going to be my first 40% never had one before but the style and look of this is perfect for me!

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 19:20:24 »
Any news on Knobs? It's make or break for me, the rendered X knob is so awesome but finding a cool knob will be so tough :/

Offline emceeaich

• Infinite Wishes
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 03:18:27 »
I love it!

How does one access the values on the rotary encoder?

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 05:05:20 »
How does one access the values on the rotary encoder?

QMK supports it, so you just put a little block of code in the keymap to dictate what you want it to do.

I suspect it’ll come bound to volume or something by default.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Nhils

• IG
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 06:01:13 »
So excited for the Whimsy!

Offline thicthock

« Reply #158 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 08:52:45 »
I have never been in for a 40% but this is the first one that looks absolutely like I want it!

The only thing that might put me off is the sale through your own store.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 February 2021, 08:06:30 by thicthock »

Offline Muiju

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 00:52:18 »
Is there an option to have a knob without the `X` on there?
its yo girl

LZ CLSm | mech27v2 | DC60 | E7-V1 |  x1.1

lubed filmed Tealios <3

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 02:26:21 »
Is there an option to have a knob without the `X` on there?

I don’t think it’s concrete yet (from looking through the Discord channel) whether the knobs will be standard encoder knobs (the ones that tend to come with the encoders themselves) or custom ones. We’ll have to wait and see what’s shown when the GB goes live, I believe.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 13:24:07 »
For anyone not following the Discord or their website:

Group Buy is now predicted to be in March due to prototypes being about 10-15 working days away from arriving at this point for all the colours.

Offline Bantalope

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 04:07:45 »
Depending on dates of other things ive had my eye on this is starting to look more and more tempting

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 13:53:49 »
I've wondered what keyboard they were using in the renders for the KAM Superuser GB and I finally found it!

Signed up for updates.
A-a-ron

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 17:02:02 »
For anyone not following the Discord or their website:

Group Buy is now predicted to be in March due to prototypes being about 10-15 working days away from arriving at this point for all the colours.
Stoked!

I'm in on this for sure.

Offline keebpleeb

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 10:32:27 »
Now that I know when this is running, I started looking for keycaps because in keeping with the whimsical theme, I think I'm going to do something as pink as possible. GMK Peach Blossom seems like it'd be perfect for the bubblegum pink cerakote, but of course none of the kits have a 1.25u enter, 1.5u backspace or a 1.5u shift.

I now understand on a visceral level why all of the guys from the 40s Discord immediately chime in on every keyset IC and are quick to correct 40s kittings - mad frustrating  :mad:

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 11:20:31 »
I now understand on a visceral level why all of the guys from the 40s Discord immediately chime in on every keyset IC and are quick to correct 40s kittings - mad frustrating  :mad:

Haha, yeah - I'm planning on putting Bento on mine and even with the 40s kit and the novelty kit, I can't quite fill it properly. It's got a 1.5 backspace, at least, but I'll have to use a R4 novelty for both the enter key and the shift key.

Offline ThickJimmy

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 19:39:30 »
I feel like if I only get one 40% board, this is the one.

Offline InvXXVII

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 14:31:34 »
I have no idea how a 40% would be practical to me, but this board is so freaking beautiful and I want one.

Offline milkham

« Reply #169 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 22:54:26 »
I made this to make it easier for me to figure out compatibility is it correct? i'm pretty new at this

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #170 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 04:27:55 »
I made this to make it easier for me to figure out compatibility is it correct? i'm pretty new at this

Show Image

Yep, there is this one from over on the Discord channel for the split layout too:

The key that will likely give you the most trouble, even with an average GMK 40% kit, is the 1.25u enter, with ePBT sets giving probably the best cherry-profile compatibility (of what I have on order, GMK Bento only has a single 1.25U R3 key, but ePBT Ramenstop has two) and the non-sculpted profiles being the absolute easiest.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2021, 04:30:24 by -Jerry- »

Offline keebpleeb

« Reply #171 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 13:59:38 »
For all of my whimsical pals in this thread -

I've been watching thisisfourteen.com like a hawk to see when this GB is going to hit and it says 19 days from now, which should be

3/24/21.

Source

init {happy_dance.gif}

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #172 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 15:16:45 »
Hurry up. I need to be in on this.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 17:37:38 »

Offline thicthock

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 06 March 2021, 13:10:37 »
so op any GB rules and whats the secure payment option since tyou are going without a store>

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #175 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 08:28:20 »
so op any GB rules and whats the secure payment option since tyou are going without a store>

prkns has a store - https://thisisfourteen.co/store

You’ll see the Whimsy listed there ready for the GB to start in 15 days.

Offline MQLYU

« Reply #176 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 09:22:56 »
nice!

Offline LordHaveMercy

« Reply #177 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 00:06:26 »
Been watching this little keeb for a while now. I will admit, I've never tried a 40% board... I *do* type on an HHKB-format board, but I am not the greatest fan of removing the numbers row. I'm unsure how practical it'll be for me.

But, I *really* love the design of it and I honestly wonder if maybe I might enjoy this keeb more than I'm thinking.

I'm not sure whether a single space or split space would be right for me. But, given I tap space with my right index finger, maybe a single space would work for me... Anyone wanna chime in on this?

I might just join in on this and let Whimsy be my first 40%. It's a good price, too, for a very custom and unique-looking keeb. Cheers to the upcoming GB!

Edit: Also, any chance there will be some custom-cut case foam and/or PCB foam for Whimsy?
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 March 2021, 00:09:14 by LordHaveMercy »

Offline keebpleeb

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 00:43:04 »
I'm curious - I don't think I've seen any conversation around the knob... anyone know if there are plans to add anything special? These renders with those customs got me feelin' some type-a way...

But to reply to LordHaveMercy:

I'm not sure whether a single space or split space would be right for me. But, given I tap space with my right index finger, maybe a single space would work for me... Anyone wanna chime in on this?

I'm sorry in advance for the impending rant, I'm actually really excited to talk about this and hear everyone else' opinions  ;)

I think where you press your spacebar (and therefore your fn/layers) will determine your ease-of-transition into a 40% board. Hear me out....

I've thought alot about this because this will also be my first 40%, and I'm considering both options but heavily leaning towards dual space because of where I press the spacebar, and with what finger.
So if you're going to do a dual spacebar I think it makes sense to recognize what side of the spacebar you press dominantly (for me, that's my left thumb on the left side of the spacebar, for you that's your right index finger in the middle I think) and make that your primary space. Then, you can use the other spacebar as a function button so you can get to all the things you need to get to with a thumb press + (likely alpha) key, while maintaining the integrity of your dominant spacebar position. Or, If you're going single space, you can run the common Up Layer / Down Layer buttons flanking the single 2u space if you vibe with that center spacebar pressin' life, you madlad. That'll give you even more options to trigger with your thumbs, instead of having to do some complex chord to get to a second function layer, and will also maintain your original dominant spacebar positioning. To each his own, but after mimicking the way you'd have to press the spacebar with your right index, I think single space might make the most logical sense for you, and should make your transition less painful.I am not a doctor this is not medical advice

I plan on it being really weird for like 3 weeks, and after that it'll just become second nature.

I traditionally use a 65% layout (sometimes a TKL if I'm feeling saucy) but I decided to bust out my Model M for gits 'n shigs. Being that I primarily work on a Mac, a missing GUI seemed like quite the challenge to overcome. But I simply rebound the CMD key to the caps lock key and... I was surprised just how quickly I took to it, and how wonky it felt to go back to a more standard layout. I imagine you experienced something similar with the HHKB - 'tis a nonstandard layout, after all!

All that to say, I think if you get a 40% board you have to commit to it like... really commit to it, otherwise you're going to get frustrated and bail. It'll take some getting used to I'm sure of it, but when you've got everything sooooooo close together, I think it'll be super enjoyable.

p.s. the only thing I'm bummed about is that I intend to go dual space for this build, but the dual spaces are 2.25u (edited from 2.75u oops) a piece, and that's a really weird keysize and hard to find doubles of in lots of spacebar/40s kits. So keyset kitting for that layout might also be a limiting factor. I'm... still gonna do it, but I'll probably have to "settle" on a keycap set because GMK Peach blossom doesn't have kitting for this board and I just really really want an entirely pink keyboard and my heart is fkn breaking
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 March 2021, 11:21:35 by keebpleeb »

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 02:04:41 »
[spacebar musings]

You don't really need dedicated raise and lower keys. You could have left bar be space on tap and lyr1 on hold, right bar be backspace on tap and lyr2 on hold.

Also the bars are 2.25u long, not 2.75u, but your point about this being a board difficult to kit out still stands.

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 02:07:04 »
decline did mention that this board could improve the layout so it can be easier kitted

OP, any intents to do so? Or is the design set in stone?

Offline keebpleeb

« Reply #181 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 11:26:52 »
[spacebar musings]

You don't really need dedicated raise and lower keys. You could have left bar be space on tap and lyr1 on hold, right bar be backspace on tap and lyr2 on hold.

Definitely - this'll be my first real foray into QMK keymapping, so I haven't yet explored "on hold" yet. I imagine once I go QMK, I'll find VIA very limiting (as I already do).

Also the bars are 2.25u long, not 2.75u, but your point about this being a board difficult to kit out still stands.

Yeah yeah my b - still damn near impossible to find 2x 2.25u spacebars in sets. I have the Kon Momo base already, and that set has a short bars addon that captures 2x 2.25u, but the bars are both different colors (sad), but it does have an extensive Nomad kit to fill in the remainder of the odd-sized mods... decisions decisions...

I'm still devastated that I can't have a full-on bubblegum pink keyboard :(

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #182 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 21:47:08 »

Yeah yeah my b - still damn near impossible to find 2x 2.25u spacebars in sets. I have the Kon Momo base already, and that set has a short bars addon that captures 2x 2.25u, but the bars are both different colors (sad), but it does have an extensive Nomad kit to fill in the remainder of the odd-sized mods... decisions decisions...

I'm still devastated that I can't have a full-on bubblegum pink keyboard :(

I'm feeling the same. I think I'll have to resort to buying a spacebar kit of a different keyset to fill in the missing 2.25u spacebar, and the colors will not match 100% orz

Offline Timception

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 09:57:22 »
So is the gb still coming or done already?

Offline itsazly

• website place
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 13:28:48 »
So is the gb still coming or done already?

I'd suggest joining the Discord for more updates, but prkns is hoping to go forward with the GB in about two weeks.

Here is his website: https://thisisfourteen.co/store/whimsy/

Offline LordHaveMercy

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 20:09:19 »
I'm curious - I don't think I've seen any conversation around the knob... anyone know if there are plans to add anything special? These renders with those customs got me feelin' some type-a way...

But to reply to LordHaveMercy:

I'm sorry in advance for the impending rant, I'm actually really excited to talk about this and hear everyone else' opinions  ;)

I think where you press your spacebar (and therefore your fn/layers) will determine your ease-of-transition into a 40% board. Hear me out....

I've thought alot about this because this will also be my first 40%, and I'm considering both options but heavily leaning towards dual space because of where I press the spacebar, and with what finger.
So if you're going to do a dual spacebar I think it makes sense to recognize what side of the spacebar you press dominantly (for me, that's my left thumb on the left side of the spacebar, for you that's your right index finger in the middle I think) and make that your primary space. Then, you can use the other spacebar as a function button so you can get to all the things you need to get to with a thumb press + (likely alpha) key, while maintaining the integrity of your dominant spacebar position. Or, If you're going single space, you can run the common Up Layer / Down Layer buttons flanking the single 2u space if you vibe with that center spacebar pressin' life, you madlad. That'll give you even more options to trigger with your thumbs, instead of having to do some complex chord to get to a second function layer, and will also maintain your original dominant spacebar positioning. To each his own, but after mimicking the way you'd have to press the spacebar with your right index, I think single space might make the most logical sense for you, and should make your transition less painful.I am not a doctor this is not medical advice

I plan on it being really weird for like 3 weeks, and after that it'll just become second nature.

I traditionally use a 65% layout (sometimes a TKL if I'm feeling saucy) but I decided to bust out my Model M for gits 'n shigs. Being that I primarily work on a Mac, a missing GUI seemed like quite the challenge to overcome. But I simply rebound the CMD key to the caps lock key and... I was surprised just how quickly I took to it, and how wonky it felt to go back to a more standard layout. I imagine you experienced something similar with the HHKB - 'tis a nonstandard layout, after all!

All that to say, I think if you get a 40% board you have to commit to it like... really commit to it, otherwise you're going to get frustrated and bail. It'll take some getting used to I'm sure of it, but when you've got everything sooooooo close together, I think it'll be super enjoyable.

p.s. the only thing I'm bummed about is that I intend to go dual space for this build, but the dual spaces are 2.25u (edited from 2.75u oops) a piece, and that's a really weird keysize and hard to find doubles of in lots of spacebar/40s kits. So keyset kitting for that layout might also be a limiting factor. I'm... still gonna do it, but I'll probably have to "settle" on a keycap set because GMK Peach blossom doesn't have kitting for this board and I just really really want an entirely pink keyboard and my heart is fkn breaking

This is like the best and most helpful response I've ever read to a random couple of thoughts and questions I've had online. Thank you, KeebPleeb!! I'd give you a Platinum award if I could if this were Reddit!

Offline xlSantos

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 02:40:23 »
I have been following this board for a long time and I was set on getting the pink board but that white one is so clean that now I am debating on which one to get. KAM Lil Dragon would look so great on both of them. Can't wait for more updates/gb phase.

Offline Eonday

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 06:04:02 »
Really wanna pair tis with kam lil Dragon. Cant't wait!!

Offline Eonday

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 06:15:51 »
Add kam lil dragon and some roselios *chefs kiss*

Offline keebpleeb

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 10:21:52 »
This is like the best and most helpful response I've ever read to a random couple of thoughts and questions I've had online. Thank you, KeebPleeb!! I'd give you a Platinum award if I could if this were Reddit!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm glad you connected with my musings - that must mean I'm at least kind of on track! Your question allowed me to put into words a lot of the disjointed thoughts I've been having about the switch to a 40%. You'll have to let me know if you end up picking up the board what layout you go with and how difficult it was to transition for you, plus any tips/tricks you pick up along the way!

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #190 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 17:56:06 »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm glad you connected with my musings - that must mean I'm at least kind of on track! Your question allowed me to put into words a lot of the disjointed thoughts I've been having about the switch to a 40%. You'll have to let me know if you end up picking up the board what layout you go with and how difficult it was to transition for you, plus any tips/tricks you pick up along the way!
You should come up with a list of recent GBs that will be compatible with the Whimsy :) I know dededecline's Aesthetic will support with the 40s kit, but that's all I know.

Also loved your comment :hug:

Offline yukiburzm

• zeonic keys
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 20:08:01 »
excited

Offline ktrezzi

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 05:29:29 »
Damn...I have still an AJ40 (loooooong time ago) board laying around, I wrote a paper for uni on that thing with Cherry Greens :D

I am about to pull the trigger on this one, anyone have experience with 40% as a daily driver?

Offline orb

• soft and round
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 17:48:33 »
This is so tempting...

Offline 28.8kbps

« Reply #194 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 11:26:37 »
This is an instant buy if it has ISO.

Offline AJPlus

« Reply #195 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 11:41:56 »
This is awesome, love 40% boards, love screens, love knobs ...  :))

Offline bvckcompton

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 05:04:57 »
Yea, definitely going to be my first 40, loving this one.

Offline Ztox

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 05:08:44 »
In for this!

Offline mihalski

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 09:16:50 »
I love it except for the fact that I've shifted to orthodox.
Is there render that demonstrates the aesthetic failure of an orthodox version?

Seems like it would be fine except for a level of "boringness".

Offline Anorexious

• Designer
    • bento
« Reply #199 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 00:24:19 »
I really excited about this keyboard and would be my first 40% keyboard but I'm afraid, would I have a bad time finding keycaps set that suitable for this keeb?
I just do quick research based on currently running GMK groub buy and it's hard to find 1.25 enter, 1.5 left shift and 2x 2.25u space