Author Topic: [GB] PBT Amalfi  (Read 16090 times)

Offline NathanAlphaMan

[GB] PBT Amalfi
« on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 16:43:11 »

Welcome to PBT Amalfi
Running from August 14th to the 28th. Shipping in Feburary 2021

A collaboration between myself and Stef, inspired by his Italian roots

For those of you who follow me on social, you know this set has been months in the making, and it is finally here: bring a taste of Southern Italy to your desk with Amalfi. Inspired by food, pottery, and the sunshine, Amalfi invokes the spirit of vintage Italian travel.

I kit

Roma, all roads lead to the base kit

Isole, visit the islands off the coast to complete your board

Antipasti, excite your palette with some novelties

Prezzi, Pricing

KitMOQTKC (USD)ProtoTypist (GPB)zFrontier (CNY)zFrontier (USD)SwitchKeys (AUD)DeskHero (CAD)
Ursa Roma (Base)100$95.00£73.00¥ TBD$ TBD$140.00$130.00
Ursa Isole (Extension)100$45.00£35.00¥ TBD$ TBD$65.00$63.00
Amalfi Antipasti (Novelties)100$25.00£20.00¥ TBD$ TBD$37.00$36.00

Tastiere, keyboard renders

Evolv

J-02

Austin

RAMA Koyu, kindly done by KingK22

Tappetino Per Mouse, Deskmats

Venditori, Vendors

North America - The Key Company
Canada - Deskhero
Oceania- SwitchKeys
Europe - Prototypist
Asia - ZFrontier

Collaborazioni, Collaborations

RAMA | R1

SpaceCables

More To Come

Ringraziamenti, Acknowledgements

• Stef, for being an amazing partner in all of this
• OCM, for his work and help on all of the novelties and deskmats
• Mintlodica, for the fantastic Limone Mat
• The entire TKC team, for all the love and support
• Fropsie, for making render enviornments

Code for signature if you want to support the set!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106530.0][img width=250 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/kwPrEkS.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 August 2020, 04:39:00 by NathanAlphaMan »

Offline Pylon

Re: [GB] PBT Amalfi
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 19:42:33 »
As with other Infinikey PBT sets that use the Cherry font for the renders - is this actually using the Cherry font and Cherry arrow-key arrow positions, or is it going to use Helvetica Rounded Bold with top-aligned arrows like Infinikey BoW?

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 19:46:31 »
As with other Infinikey PBT sets that use the Cherry font for the renders - is this actually using the Cherry font and Cherry arrow-key arrow positions, or is it going to use Helvetica Rounded Bold with top-aligned arrows like Infinikey BoW?

This set is rendered with Helvetica Rounded Bold, not the Cherry font. If you want to quickly compare, go see the renders I made for GMK Fundamentals which uses traced Cherry legends on the keycap models. Amalfi will indeed use Cherry (top-left) icon positions as rendered.

BTW, the dead giveaway that this is Helvetica Rounded Bold and not the Cherry font are the tails on the lower case "t"s
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:14:28 by NathanAlphaMan »

Offline Pylon

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 19:54:48 »
That's the Cherry capital G and *, not Helvetica's in the renders though.

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2020, 19:56:25 by Pylon »

Offline Pylon

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 19:59:01 »
Compare Infinikey's renders for BoW and what I actually received. They're mostly pretty minor differences except for arrow key alignment, which was a pretty major difference between renders and final product.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:01:21 »
That's the Cherry capital G and *, not Helvetica's in the renders though.

(Attachment Link)

I was about to reply that my keys do indeed have that G, but somehow the 1.5u Alt Gr does indeed have a Cherry legend on it! (The other two are all good, strange how it's just the one), will update the render now!
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2020, 21:17:38 by NathanAlphaMan »

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:02:18 »
Compare Infinikey's renders for BoW and what I actually received. They're mostly pretty minor differences except for arrow key alignment, which was a pretty major difference between renders and final product.

Show Image

Show Image

Those aren't my renders, I can't speak to them. I take great pride in making my work as accurate to the real product as can be.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:11:41 »
Those still look like the Cherry G in the alphas of most of your renders though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2020, 21:36:07 by Pylon »

Offline Pylon

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:17:13 »
I wasn't happy with the differences between renders and reality in a previous Infinikey GB (which showed mid-aligned left and right arrows and not top aligned as delivered), and wanted to make sure that the same thing won't happen here.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2020, 21:25:52 by Pylon »

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:23:08 »
I wasn't happy with the differences between renders and reality in a previous Infinikey GB (which showed mid-aligned left and right arrows and not top aligned as delivered), and wanted to make sure that the same thing won't happen here.

Nope, what you see is what you get here. I've verified that the print files for Amalfi have top-left aligned legends.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2020, 21:47:27 by NathanAlphaMan »

Offline Pylon

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:33:59 »
The most obvious differences between Cherry and Helvetica Rounded Bold are ^, *, G, and t. The t's in your renders all look correct, but I'm still seeing the Cherry versions for ^, *, and G. This is what I got from Linotype's website.

My previous Infinikey caps used those exact legends (on top of an OG Cherry WoB set for comparison; sorry for the HDR):

Note the wide ^, tail-less G, and six-pointed * on the Cherry caps, compared with the narrow ^, G with a bottom tail, and five-pointed * on Infinikey.

The characters in your renders definitely look like the Cherry ones.

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2020, 22:04:05 by Pylon »

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:48:33 »
The most obvious differences between Cherry and Helvetica Rounded Bold are ^, *, G, and t. The t's in your renders all look correct, but I'm still seeing the Cherry versions for ^, *, and G. This is what I got from Linotype's website.
(Attachment Link)

My previous Infinikey caps used those exact legends (on top of an OG Cherry WoB set for comparison; sorry for the HDR):
Show Image

Note the wide ^, tail-less G, and six-pointed * on the Cherry caps, compared with the narrow ^, G with a bottom tail, and five-pointed * on Infinikey.

The characters in your renders definitely look like the Cherry ones.
(Attachment Link)

Now that is strange, I'll have to investigate why these caps have those legends. My best guess is that these are the caps from Hiney's repo, and somehow snuck in among the caps I remodeled by hand.

If we compare these PBT legends (above) to my GMK ones (below, from inventory IC)

You can pretty clearly see that they are not the same. So somehow I have PBT legends that are neither here nor there (same with the alpha G).

Thank you for pointing that out! I care immensely about delivering high quality products to my customers, and I'm not one about cutting corners. With Infinikey BoW and WoB, I assume there was simply a miscommunication at the time between MetallicCharles, who has a collection of GMK legends, and TKC, who were using a new font on their caps.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2020, 22:10:13 by NathanAlphaMan »

Offline DJ Clicks

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 21:22:05 »
The spacebars in the extension kit in the renders are blue, but the other websites are showing white spacebars?

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 21:28:38 »
The spacebars in the extension kit in the renders are blue, but the other websites are showing white spacebars?

The website has an out of date render, spacebars will be blue as rendered in the thread :thumb:

After all, alpha colored bars > mod colored bars.

Offline recursive

• `:(){ :|:& };:`
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 22:28:22 »
been waiting for this one!

Offline maharuto

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 02:01:33 »
finally it's here!

Offline iSamurai

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 03:29:25 »
Is the limone deskmat still work in progress? Because there isn't a single colour that matches the set in this preview and the style doesn't really fit with the rest, compared to the other deskmat it seems like a kid played a little in paint until something that could pass for "good" has been created.

Inviato dal mio H8314 utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline nbesa

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 13:41:09 »
Any info on when will this be avaiable on Zfrontier?

Offline SirTimmyTimbit

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 00:18:22 »

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 17:36:43 »

Should be available now!

https://en.zfrontier.com/collections/keysets/products/pbt-amalfi?variant=32552476868686

Thanks for everyone who's supported so far - The set is doing really well!  :)

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 19:47:48 »

More
<-- progress
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2020, 14:44:12 by dvorcol »

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 14:43:44 »

More
<-- progress
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2020, 16:05:50 by dvorcol »

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 14:56:07 »
Show Image

Show Image

Thank you as always to Dvorcol and his beautiful graphs.

Offline Winster

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 08:09:43 »
Is the Rama brass or Alu please.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 16:03:14 »
Final

More
<-- without extras

Offline nbesa

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 15:12:47 »
Any news on when the proxies will ship this set? Saw TKC's units were trapped in LA Port, but what about the rest?

Online mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 17:25:07 »
Being Italian myself I HAD to snag the RAMA cap from switchkeys during extra sale, I love it!

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 03:41:29 »
Any news on when the proxies will ship this set? Saw TKC's units were trapped in LA Port, but what about the rest?

ProtoTypist shipped all non-UK orders.

Offline XUR

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 17:59:27 »
Anyone else who received these key caps think the blue is way more blue than turquoise like in the renders?

Offline Liub

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 10:38:03 »
Pretty sure nathanalphanman said these came out quite different to tenders. welcome to Infinikey/TKC I guess.

Offline XUR

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 13:52:09 »
So what exactly happens in cases like this? Because I feel like the color difference is enough to make this key cap set a completely other thing than what was expected... Green/Blue to just straight Blue.

Do we just say oh well and this is what it is??

Offline Liub

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 22:41:50 »
So what exactly happens in cases like this? Because I feel like the color difference is enough to make this key cap set a completely other thing than what was expected... Green/Blue to just straight Blue.

Do we just say oh well and this is what it is??

You can try contacting your vendor, but overall I doubt TKC will do anything about it. They have previously offered refunds prior to orders shipping out for other IFK sets I believe, not sure about Amalfi.

This is the last outstanding item I have that involves TKC in any form, I am just voting with my wallet and never buying anything from them *again.

Offline XUR

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 00:30:24 »
What exactly was the statement or verdict by NathanAlphaMan, the GB starter, on the actual product? He mentioned repeatedly, in this very thread even, about what you see is what you get/delivering a high quality product.

I tried/am trying the refund route with TKC but doubt that will get me anywhere. Surely, the GB starter would have more pull or at least a followup.

Offline Liub

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 04:48:09 »
What exactly was the statement or verdict by NathanAlphaMan, the GB starter, on the actual product? He mentioned repeatedly, in this very thread even, about what you see is what you get/delivering a high quality product.

I tried/am trying the refund route with TKC but doubt that will get me anywhere. Surely, the GB starter would have more pull or at least a followup.

Can't remember, might have been in IG or Discord. Sorry, but if you search around you may be able to find it. Something along the lines of the product isn't the same as render but he is still happy with it.

Offline nbesa

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 10:53:52 »
Silent GB runners are definitely the worst part of this...

Makes it hard to consider other GBs by them

Offline XUR

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 12:03:40 »
I take great pride in making my work as accurate to the real product as can be.

Something along the lines of the product isn't the same as render but he is still happy with it.

Yeah, sounds like a direct contradiction.

If you bought the Space Cables Amalfi cable, you'd be doubly pissed because the Turquoise on the cables won't match the Blue on the keycaps.