Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nook [DELETED]  (Read 6656 times)

Offline troy+abed

[IC] GMK Nook [DELETED]
« on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:26:19 »
[IC] GMK Nook V1 – First Draft

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. We'll work to improve in the future. Thank you for your patience!
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2020, 19:08:19 by troy+abed »

Offline Styley

• I like keycap and fightstick
Re: [IC] GMK Nook V1 – First Draft
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:31:24 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2020, 19:25:15 by Styley »

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:32:10 »
glwic
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline Tennstrong

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:37:12 »
What would someone say to this, that the colors you picked aren't the worst? You put up no renders or board renders, these look like they might've been done through keyboard-layout-editor.

This is the near the epitome of low effort. And no, it doesn't seem to look very good at all.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:38:00 »
To go further with this you should decide on some RAL colors since GMK doesn't do colormatching to HEX codes.

And you should decide on what colors you actually want to use on the kits.
rn the colors of the base kits are both different from the alphas and mods kit.
Usually sets have either a base kit or alphas and mods split but not both at the same time in different colors.

Offline PeenixStarr

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:43:21 »
Troy and Abed IN THE MOOOORNING

Offline Styley

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:44:06 »
What would someone say to this, that the colors you picked aren't the worst? You put up no renders or board renders, these look like they might've been done through keyboard-layout-editor.

This is the near the epitome of low effort. And no, it doesn't seem to look very good at all.

This is an extremely early IC if people do like the general idea we can continue and provide renders and more info and layouts.

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:47:41 »
Oof. I’m guessing we didn’t see PBT Islander yet. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105735.0

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:51:33 »

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:54:26 »
I appreciate the hustle and desire to capitalize on zeitgeist while you can.

That being said, early ICs are simply not the way to go about publishing a set concept. A bad early IC is way worse than a late, fleshed out IC. ICs are all about impressions and the impression this IC leaves upon me is very poor. You're looking for positive reception as confirmation for renders? You're not going to find it with this low quality of an IC.

It's clear that you're fairly new to the community. You made a GH account to post this thread. This is a 104 key base kit. That's something you majorly flesh out before you even have colors in a lot of cases. Your colors are web colors, meaning you're oblivious to the IC process and GMK production as a whole, things you can easily find out more about by visitng the trove of old GB and IC threads, or even uniqey's website. This comes off as a cash grab from an inexperienced community member, which, to be honest, I'm not ragging on, but I'm definitely not about it. Take some time in the hobby to be part of the community. Be a little more active. Find out what works, what's good, why it works, why it's good, and talk with more types of folks to engage in that exchange. That's what it's really about. While the "i see guy make thing, i can make thing too!" mentality certainly has driven a lot of cool stuff, this is not one of those cases.

Renders went from being a nice to have in ICs to nearly a need to have. It shows you have some level of personal commitment to the set that you would even pay for mockups our of your own pocket before anything is official. To not have renders and to just show off a set of KLEs, is definitely not a good look, and the KLEs do a very poor job of showing the colors that you want to show, or maybe they do a really good job, but to me they look like blanks. I'm not trying to bog you down or take shots at an easy target, rarely anything ever deserves that. If you're truly invested in making this set happen beyond a text-post and a barely visible KLE render, you need to make a very good impression, so that vendors who see your IC will want to work with ya.

Many people will not buy into the concept if the IC is not good from the get-go. You can sell any concept to anyone as long as the beginning impressions are good enough.

If you're intent on making this happen (and this would have to be very soon, before more eyes can see this and get their first impressions, which, in their current state would result in the set being written off extremely quickly) then you can:

1. Flesh out those layouts.
2. Get some renders.
3. Pick colors that aren't web colors, it's 2020. We have resources to help design GMK sets. GMK has resources to help design GMK sets. Use google, guy.
4. Goals, MOQs, prior contact to GMK show vendors that you're willing to do work beyond "hur dur look at color now shoulder it all for me," which, even if a vendor wouldn't take you up on, they would like to see.
5. Give more of a ****. Going into a project half-assed (you could be fully on board, but this post does certainly not show that) only makes me believe in the project less. If you don't believe in your project enough to give a detailed, commited sales pitch, why should any vendor, or even why should the community believe in it? Dipping your toes into the pool is simply not an option when everyone else who's making successful sets is hopping in headfirst.

cmon guy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2020, 19:01:27 by Krelbit »

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:54:57 »
You guys really need renders at least. I get that it just an ideal that you are floating & basically an IC for an IC, but the KLE pics do more harm than good here IMHO. The contrast between legend & cap colors is so terrible I honestly thought it was a blank set till I really looked closely. Picking definitive colors & getting at a least a couple renders done is the only way to really convey your vision to everyone else. I think there could be something here, but I need more to go on than just some KLE pics.

Offline Styley

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 19:05:47 »

That being said, early ICs are simply not the way to go about publishing a set concept. A bad early IC is way worse than a late, fleshed out IC. ICs are all about impressions and the impression this IC leaves upon me is very poor. You're looking for positive reception as confirmation for renders? You're not going to find it with this low quality of an IC.

It's clear that you're fairly new to the community. You made a GH account to post this thread. This is a 104 key base kit. That's something you majorly flesh out before you even have colors in a lot of cases. Your colors are web colors, meaning you're oblivious to the IC process and GMK production as a whole, things you can easily find out more about by visitng the trove of old GB and IC threads, or even uniqey's website. This comes off as a cash grab from an inexperienced community member, which, to be honest, I'm not ragging on, but I'm definitely not about it. Take some time in the hobby to be part of the community. Be a little more active. Find out what works, what's good, why it works, why it's good, and talk with more types of folks to engage in that exchange. That's what it's really about. While the "i see guy make thing, i can make thing too!" mentality certainly has driven a lot of cool stuff, this is not one of those cases.

Renders went from being a nice to have in ICs to nearly a need to have. It shows you have some level of personal commitment to the set that you would even pay for mockups our of your own pocket before anything is official. To not have renders and to just show off a set of KLEs, is definitely not a good look, and the KLEs do a very poor job of showing the colors that you want to show, or maybe they do a really good job, but to me they look like blanks. I'm not trying to bog you down or take shots at an easy target, rarely anything ever deserves that. If you're truly invested in making this set happen beyond a text-post and a barely visible KLE render, you need to make a very good impression, so that vendors who see your IC will want to work with ya.

Many people will not buy into the concept if the IC is not good from the get-go. You can sell any concept to anyone as long as the beginning impressions are good enough.

If you're intent on making this happen (and this would have to be very soon, before more eyes can see this and get their first impressions, which, in their current state would result in the set being written off extremely quickly) then you can:

2. Get some renders.
3. Pick colors that aren't web colors, it's 2020. We have resources to help design GMK sets. GMK has resources to help design GMK sets. Use google, guy.
4. Goals, MOQs, prior contact to GMK show vendors that you're willing to do work beyond "hur dur look at color now shoulder it all for me," which, even if a vendor wouldn't take you up on, they would like to see.
5. Give more of a ****. Going into a project half-assed (you could be fully on board, but this post does certainly not show that) only makes me believe in the project less. If you don't believe in your project enough to give a detailed, commited sales pitch, why should any vendor, or even why should the community believe in it? Dipping your toes into the pool is simply not an option when everyone else who's making successful sets is hopping in headfirst.

cmon guy.

Okay, thank you for the feedback.
We will delete this and rework it.

Offline Mr.Nonchalant

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 19:06:37 »
Legends might be too light, but I do like the calmness. GLWIC!

Offline Tyson

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 19:15:39 »

2. Get some renders.

cmon guy.

I'm keeping this for other ICs that come out that are similar to this one. This isn't the first nor will it be the last. Thank you Krelbit for nicely worded advice to aspiring designers out there.