Author Topic: Guide to removing larger keys on mechanical keyboards? (Specifically Das)  (Read 70999 times)

Offline euphzji

Hi all,

I tried searching the website, maybe I looked in the wrong area. One post directed me towards the wiki, but there appears to be nothing there at the moment :(
Does anyone have a guide for removing the larger keys on mechanical keyboards? Places such as the Das website make it sound scary as hell with the possibility of breaking the springs on my spacebar and other keys, so maybe a video or something would be absolutely amazing. I seem to remember seeing an instructional video like this for a Ducky keyboard on Youtube, but I haven't been able to find it again.

Thanks in advance for anything you come up with.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
For big keys I use wire puller & dental pick. First, remove surrounding small keys. Pull the key up gently with wire puller until it's off the switch. Then push the key to the left a little while pushing the wire underneath the keycap to the right with the dental pick. Reverse the process to put the keycap back.

For spacebar, just push up on each side with your index fingers.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 August 2012, 00:14:21 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Great guide with pics there.  Thanks mmmty.  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline euphzji

Thank you so much mmmty! Now when I'm changing out my keycaps tomorrow I probably won't freak out as much :)

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Keyboardless

Offline MarkPharaoh

Great guide. If you need further help, someone posted a video on how to do it on Youtube. I found it with a quick search.
Current: HHKB Pro 2, 87u 55g 10AE, FC600C, Model M 1391401

Offline bisl

Anyone got a link for those cap remover tools? I've just been using a shaped paperclip but I feel like I might damage the stems this way.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
Guide to removing larger keys on mechanical keyboards? (Specifically Das)
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 01:59:44 »
leopold keycap remover elitekeyboards.com or the equivalent in wasd keyboards
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline euphzji

Anyone got a link for those cap remover tools? I've just been using a shaped paperclip but I feel like I might damage the stems this way.

Like cactux mentioned, the Leopold key puller from elitekeyboards is really nice. That's what I've been using to pull the normal keys to clean my keyboard.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I agree that the Leopold keycap remover is very nice. The thinness of the wire is great for tightly spaced keys.

I never understood why people like the plastic ones, they are just too fat.

But for free, and to have it in your hand 2 minutes from now, try this:
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.