Author Topic: [IC] Faraday60 - A QMK-compatible Topre HHKB Pro replacement PCB  (Read 72829 times)

Offline realxmlforce

Re: [IC] Faraday60 - A QMK-compatible Topre HHKB Pro replacement PCB
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 09:37:51 »
Wow this is some serious electronic engineering! You're my mvp today! Hoping for a realforce 88u version sometime in the future :)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 10:02:26 »
Wow!!! This project definitely gets my attention!

A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 10:03:30 »
Custom topre time gamers 👀👀

Wow, this looks great! Custom Topre 2020 ;D

The idea here is to get the know-how and means to do a Topre reliable PCB. Custom Topres are surely the final objective.
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 10:05:21 »
Wow this is some serious electronic engineering! You're my mvp today! Hoping for a realforce 88u version sometime in the future :)

I will probably make some replacements for big Topre boards in the future! However I need to have one in hand to design the board. But it's definitely on the horizon!

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 10:17:51 »
This QMK compatible PCB will give me a reason to use my HHKB Pro 2 again. I’ve been meaning to get a HASU controller but this solves everything by staying USB mini and having the USB hub. I’m excited for it!

Offline tehfrawg

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:47:24 »
Any chance you could partner with Niz to make QMK compatible PCBs for their boards?

The Atom68 and Micro82 would be great ones to start with since they use widely available keycap sizes.

As a recent backer of the Atom68 Alu, I would LOVE to see a QMK PCB to take it to the top level. Then we could finally have a capacitive keyboard with an aluminum case and brass plate with a QMK-enabled PCB and MX compatible sliders.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2020, 15:58:10 by tehfrawg »

Offline thatguyx

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 15:00:32 »
LONG time lurker, but found out about this through Man of Interest.  Having just gotten my first topre board HHKB Pro2, I've already ordered a Yang BLE Mod.  But I'd still be VERY interested in this.

I purchased the Yang BLE Mod for its Bluetooth capabilities, remapping, and battery life (over the Hasu).

However, I would pick up the Faraday60 in a heartbeat, if it could address these issues, at least for me:
- Hasu/Yang Bluetooth multidevice support is limited by Adafruit Bluetooth module (no real Bluetooth profiles for switching between more than 2 devices)
- USB 3.0 Support all the way through (would settle for 2.0 -- but at this day in age, why settle?)
- Full re-programmability (check)
- under $100 (flexible with the assumption of full Bluetooth multi-device support and USB 3.0)
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2020, 15:04:32 by thatguyx »

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 15:33:33 »
Absolutely 100% interested in this. I love my HHKB!

Offline Automata-killa

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 15:42:29 »
Now this sounds intriguing, even possible to go the extra mile and use Niz switches and BKE domes, sourcing springs would be a bit more challenging :eek:

Offline oulongwen

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 16:00:19 »
This is genuinely amazing news! Although I don't use Topre, there is no doubt that QMK support for Topre boards is more than welcome by the community!

Offline Eviscerae

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 17:13:02 »
I've been looking for this ever since I first bought my HHKB pro 2!

I'm in!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 17:23:25 »
Custom topre time gamers 👀👀

I will only rest when I can headshot someone in CSGO using a custom Topre HHKB PCB

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 17:27:58 »
This QMK compatible PCB will give me a reason to use my HHKB Pro 2 again. I’ve been meaning to get a HASU controller but this solves everything by staying USB mini and having the USB hub. I’m excited for it!

Let's do this! Might take a while, but we are definitely onto something here. I think that this will allow us to make replacement and programmable boards to lots of EC keyboards out there!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 17:33:53 »
Any chance you could partner with Niz to make QMK compatible PCBs for their boards?

The Atom68 and Micro82 would be great ones to start with since they use widely available keycap sizes.

As a recent backer of the Atom68 Alu, I would LOVE to see a QMK PCB to take it to the top level. Then we could finally have a capacitive keyboard with an aluminum case and brass plate with a QMK-enabled PCB and MX compatible sliders.

Of course! I will have to make contact with NiZ and I think he will be open to some collaboration. I have received immensely good feedback from everyone and I think this will be a blast!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 17:44:22 »
LONG time lurker, but found out about this through Man of Interest.  Having just gotten my first topre board HHKB Pro2, I've already ordered a Yang BLE Mod.  But I'd still be VERY interested in this.

I purchased the Yang BLE Mod for its Bluetooth capabilities, remapping, and battery life (over the Hasu).

However, I would pick up the Faraday60 in a heartbeat, if it could address these issues, at least for me:
- Hasu/Yang Bluetooth multidevice support is limited by Adafruit Bluetooth module (no real Bluetooth profiles for switching between more than 2 devices)
- USB 3.0 Support all the way through (would settle for 2.0 -- but at this day in age, why settle?)
- Full re-programmability (check)
- under $100 (flexible with the assumption of full Bluetooth multi-device support and USB 3.0)

Man Huey did give this project a cool visibility. I'll be forever in debt to the man.

Unfortunately there is nothing much I can do about the Adafruit Bluetooth. It's what QMK supports, and it's not for lack of good reasons, mainly licensing as I have explained on a comment above:

I would like at least a 2.0 hub as I usually keep an HHKB and wireless mouse together. Bluetooth would be awesome as it would allow me to make my HTPC setup wireless, but isn't exactly necessary. I would prioritize a hub over nothing at all though. Definitely interested and probably in for 2 depending on price.

To be quite fair the main barrier for a good bluetooth implementation is QMK. Now I'm not bashing QMK, let me explain.

Bluetooth is historically a sketchy technology and feature because the Bluetooth SIG (who manages licensing of BT products) has some harsh requirements for implementation, among them hefty licensing fees.

Now, QMK was able to implement BT with the Adafruit BL feather and that is amazing, but it has the issue that it is an older protocol and is not BLE; hence it dries out batteries quite fast. Why won't they support a newer protocol, you ask? Well, there is a very problematic issue between the QMK licensing and Bluetooth licensing terms, for instance the Nordic's (famous BT chip manufacturer) licensing terms.

Second, the BT protocol driver in QMK is limited to AVR chips, and honestly I'd rather wait until someone ports it out to ARM because I'm not a fan of going with an ATMEGA here. I don't know the platform ok, and I am proficient im ARM.

So I think that for now BT is out of the question, but if time comes we can make a BT version no issues.

Now for the USB3 I think that is a good achievement. We will probably stick with the basics for now -- USB2.0, cabled --- just to have a working concept available, but the intent here is obviously making a PCB with LOTS of features.

As for the price, I think that this first more basic PCB will be quite affordable, but the "ultimate" version might have a pretty hefty price. Time will tell, but I will surely make everything available here.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 17:45:34 »
Absolutely 100% interested in this. I love my HHKB!

HHKB is a nice keyboard, but imagine reprogramability!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 17:46:27 »
Now this sounds intriguing, even possible to go the extra mile and use Niz switches and BKE domes, sourcing springs would be a bit more challenging :eek:

The nice thing about Faraday is that it adds that little push we needed for customized Topre stuff. So go wild! I think that electrocapacitive stuff is waaay overdue and we need it.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 17:49:09 »
This is genuinely amazing news! Although I don't use Topre, there is no doubt that QMK support for Topre boards is more than welcome by the community!

Maybe this is the incentive you need to try Topre? Believe me, they are amazing!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 17:50:44 »
I've been looking for this ever since I first bought my HHKB pro 2!

I'm in!

Nice! Let's do this!

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 17:53:40 »
I'd buy a new HHKB Pro 2 just for this. Very exciting stuff. Topre forever.

Would also love FC660C support as well as as Plum 84.

One very distant step closer to my fantasy: Topre Southpaw 65.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 17:57:18 »
I'd buy a new HHKB Pro 2 just for this. Very exciting stuff. Topre forever.

Would also love FC660C support as well as as Plum 84.

One very distant step closer to my fantasy: Topre Southpaw 65.

RGB Topre 65 Southpaw Gasket Mount Leaf Sprint Plate

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 18:02:42 »
Unfortunately there is nothing much I can do about the Adafruit Bluetooth. It's what QMK supports, and it's not for lack of good reasons, mainly licensing as I have explained on a comment above:

Look into the SiLabs BT121 module. It's super easy to get working with QMK; I have a rudimentary implementation here. It communicates over UART and supports multiple BT protocols (both classic and BLE), but much like the other supported modules, it's currently limited to AVR chips.

Edit: I misspoke about it supporting multiple host devices. It doesn't. If that's a deal breaker for you, then this module is a no-go. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2020, 18:15:27 by constexpr »

Offline tehfrawg

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 19:59:52 »

Of course! I will have to make contact with NiZ and I think he will be open to some collaboration. I have received immensely good feedback from everyone and I think this will be a blast!

That would be amazing! Between their new cases and components and your PCBs we would be well on the way to custom capacitive keyboards.

Niz boards are also priced much more competitively than Topre, which would help achieve your stated price goal.

Offline bakuretsu

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 20:46:22 »

That would be amazing! Between their new cases and components and your PCBs we would be well on the way to custom capacitive keyboards.

Niz boards are also priced much more competitively than Topre, which would help achieve your stated price goal.

I just joined the Atom 68 Alu GB, too. Custom PCBs for the Atom 68 and the Micro 82 would be amazing!

Offline xv

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 20:47:43 »
absolutely interested in this. If bluetooth were an option would the battery be user's choice or come with the board?

QFR MX Blue      QFRI MX Red

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 23:44:52 »
So down for a project like this. Its going to open up a lot of topre customization that was sorely needed, for all the thockers in GH. I think having a basic version just to make sure everything is working is the best way to go about this.

1. I'm pretty sure every die hard hhkb owner would love a chance to be able to reprogram them, including myself.
2. The hub isn't really a big concern, but it sounds like you are pretty sure you will be able to include that.
3.Having bluetooth is also something secondary, but would love to see it in a later edition.
4. Also USB-C would be nice for future custom projects using this pcb, but shouldn't be something that makes into consideration for the first run of this board at all.

Hope this project gets rolling asap will be sure to pop my head back in another time to peek for updates.

Offline tehfrawg

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 01:22:17 »

I just joined the Atom 68 Alu GB, too. Custom PCBs for the Atom 68 and the Micro 82 would be amazing!

I emailed Niz to ask about the possibility of a collaboration. The good news is that they had already been in contact with the OP yesterday, but the bad news is that it sounds like it this will not come to fruition at this time. They said they are going to keep talking though, so hopefully we will see more collaboration on custom Electrostatic Capacitive keyboards between these two parties in the future! I would love to support it.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 02:36:49 »

I emailed Niz to ask about the possibility of a collaboration. The good news is that they had already been in contact with the OP yesterday, but the bad news is that it sounds like it this will not come to fruition at this time. They said they are going to keep talking though, so hopefully we will see more collaboration on custom Electrostatic Capacitive keyboards between these two parties in the future! I would love to support it.

NiZ did contact me and I'm super duper happy we can collab; unfortunately the Faraday60 has not been tested yet so we need time to make sure it works.

But yes, expect collaborations in the future.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 06:53:08 »
Thanks to Manofinterest for bringing me here. As a rubber dome peasant myself I will gladly support this. Have plan to buy a HHKB BT for work and travel but this PCB will change it haha.

- My personal preference is USB-C for everything, it is the way. But fully understand if it is not available in the round 1 due to cost and fitment etc.
- Don't care about USB hub really, bluetooth is a must for me

And my pipe-dream is an Alice-layout custom Topre board. Dream on  :p :p :p

Offline noorejji

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 07:06:56 »
I’ll be waiting warmly for your work on Realforce R1 and FC660C.

Offline AdrianMan

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 09:04:36 »
This is great and looking forward to all things you will do in the topre world :)

1. HHKB Pro 2 is a great choice
2. Bluetooth + USB 3.1 sounds great
3. Willing to pay 60-70-80$ on the final product

At the moment for HHKB's and FC660c/980c we have hasu and yang controllers that satisfy the programmable needs.

After the HHKB Pro 2, realforce tkl's would be a great option, even a limited novatouch run, as those are loved by the community but don't get any programmable options ATM.

For multipurpose I use a hasu-usb to usb , but the need for programmable topre TKL's is very much out there.

The big improvement here I find it to be the custom designing of topre pcb's, that enables a new era, where custom topre keyboards can be made.

Ex: Custom CNC alu funky case (let's say alice style) + topre pcs with BT&VIA + Niz 2019 sliders + well tuned Costar stabs = love

Offline tehfrawg

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 09:29:10 »

Ex: Custom CNC alu funky case (let's say alice style) + topre pcs with BT&VIA + Niz 2019 sliders + well tuned Costar stabs = love

Niz is using custom designed Cherry stabs for the Atom68 Alu, so hopefully those will be available for future projects like this as well!

Offline Applet

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 09:31:59 »
If it is of any help, you are welcome to use the work from my usb3 controller, this is not very cheap but so far it is working great. You may be able to do a more cost effective solution using different chips and connectors.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93970.0

A bluetooth and USB 3.1 controller would be fantastic and collaborations with NIZ sounds promising :D

joric has done work with the nRF52 and HHKB for a more battery efficient bluetooth solution, but there is still some issues

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 11:49:24 »
Personally I don't see a need for this when I already have Hasu's BT controller in my non-BT boards but if I didn't already have those I would be very much interested in this.

Offline monteyalps

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 16:12:58 »
Well...I literally just bought an hhkb Type-S on yahoo.jp and was about to pull the trigger on the hasu's controller. Think I may wait now...

1. I love the usb controller and would like it. If it's not available I won't cry though (ok maybe I will, I really love the controller...) .

2. QMK YES PLEASE

3. How much?

4. USB-C is cool but at this point it's my least used connector for customs.

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 March 2020, 16:17:48 by monteyalps »

Offline Cobertt

• Control on Caps
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 23:03:16 »
Love the keeping the functionality of the USB controller. That's a nice touch.

Yes please to QMK/VIA

USB-C would definitely be nice.
HHKB Pro2 | Mira SE | FJELL | KARA HAZE | CW88 FNF WKL Wine | HHKB Prophet | Tengu | Prototype CW60 HHKB Skunkworxxx | Prototype K80 | Tokyo60 | Gingko65Midway LEKei | Frog TKL | Saturn60

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 00:04:18 »
Thanks to Manofinterest for bringing me here. As a rubber dome peasant myself I will gladly support this. Have plan to buy a HHKB BT for work and travel but this PCB will change it haha.

- My personal preference is USB-C for everything, it is the way. But fully understand if it is not available in the round 1 due to cost and fitment etc.
- Don't care about USB hub really, bluetooth is a must for me

And my pipe-dream is an Alice-layout custom Topre board. Dream on  :p :p :p

I think that USBC, for now, is dispensable because the main feature is the capacitance sensing and activation. We are going for the "stock"  HHKB features. In the future we are surely going to add more features and the USBC!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 00:04:40 »
I’ll be waiting warmly for your work on Realforce R1 and FC660C.

660C is the next on the line.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 00:07:57 »
If it is of any help, you are welcome to use the work from my usb3 controller, this is not very cheap but so far it is working great. You may be able to do a more cost effective solution using different chips and connectors.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93970.0

A bluetooth and USB 3.1 controller would be fantastic and collaborations with NIZ sounds promising :D

joric has done work with the nRF52 and HHKB for a more battery efficient bluetooth solution, but there is still some issues

I didn't know you had this designed. I opened the files here and it looks amazing!

I'm developing everything on KiCad and will open-source futurely. I think that I am using the same chips though, both TUSB8042 and the port monitors, so I think it shouldn't be much different!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 00:16:23 »
Personally I don't see a need for this when I already have Hasu's BT controller in my non-BT boards but if I didn't already have those I would be very much interested in this.

The Hasu Controller was definitely a game changer. Thank you for the support!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 00:23:05 »
Well...I literally just bought an hhkb Type-S on yahoo.jp and was about to pull the trigger on the hasu's controller. Think I may wait now...

1. I love the usb controller and would like it. If it's not available I won't cry though (ok maybe I will, I really love the controller...) .

2. QMK YES PLEASE

3. How much?

The USB hub and AMK are a given. For now I think we are going to implement USB 2.0 and mini-B connector, but in the future we do have plans for USB3.1 .

As for the price, really difficult to tell, but my rough estimate is 60 USD for the first version.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 00:23:38 »

Yes please to QMK/VIA

I feel bad for leaving the USB controller unpopulated on the HHKB, it's a very useful feature.

Nice! Thank you for your feedback!

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 00:40:41 »

Yes please to QMK/VIA

I feel bad for leaving the USB controller unpopulated on the HHKB, it's a very useful feature.

Nice! Thank you for your feedback!
Agree with having the USB ports included. Mostly don’t want 2 open holes in the case but the functionality is a nice bonus.

Offline monteyalps

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 07:33:18 »

2. QMK YES PLEASE

3. How much?

The USB hub and AMK are a given. For now I think we are going to implement USB 2.0 and mini-B connector, but in the future we do have plans for USB3.1 .

As for the price, really difficult to tell, but my rough estimate is 60 USD for the first version.
Awesome! Very excited about this!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Solotov

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 08:13:29 »
Interested  :thumb:
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline mewa

• Thock.co
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 12:20:57 »
Ah, this is great! I wish such a thorough documentation was available when I first started with Conundrum (which btw has evolved to a 40% planck with our lovely switch). It took me months to get everything tested and get QMK to play together, it would've been just soo much easier haha.

Feel free to hit me up if you'd like to talk - I'll be polishing everything QMK-wise as soon as I get pre-GB round of PCBs+cases (that I'm in the process of ordering) but I've already had success on bare PCB prototype.

thock thock thock

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 21:10:48 »
So down for a project like this. Its going to open up a lot of topre customization that was sorely needed, for all the thockers in GH. I think having a basic version just to make sure everything is working is the best way to go about this.

1. I'm pretty sure every die hard hhkb owner would love a chance to be able to reprogram them, including myself.
2. The hub isn't really a big concern, but it sounds like you are pretty sure you will be able to include that.
3.Having bluetooth is also something secondary, but would love to see it in a later edition.
4. Also USB-C would be nice for future custom projects using this pcb, but shouldn't be something that makes into consideration for the first run of this board at all.

Hope this project gets rolling asap will be sure to pop my head back in another time to peek for updates.

Yeah, the first idea here really is make sure that the switch activation mechanic works before diving into fancy stuff. I think going with mini-B and 2.0 USB hub is a nice start, specially because those are the HHKB's stock features. Once we prove this concept works we will go wild.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 21:14:02 »
Ah, this is great! I wish such a thorough documentation was available when I first started with Conundrum (which btw has evolved to a 40% planck with our lovely switch). It took me months to get everything tested and get QMK to play together, it would've been just soo much easier haha.

Feel free to hit me up if you'd like to talk - I'll be polishing everything QMK-wise as soon as I get pre-GB round of PCBs+cases (that I'm in the process of ordering) but I've already had success on bare PCB prototype.

thock thock thock

Nice! Maybe we can exchange some information. The QMK implementation might be different as the activation circuit I'm using is unique, but it would be awesome if we could overlap our efforts!

Offline TopreMoon

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 11:25:05 »
100% interested! 50-60 definitely sounds reasonable for the simple/base version.

In order of importance of features for me:

USB 3.1
USB Hub
Bluetooth

Good luck!

Offline yarlah

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 21:13:45 »
Will the pcb have RGB underglow? That would be awesome!