Author Topic: Just a thought  (Read 1161 times)

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
Just a thought
« on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 02:14:27 »
I have taken an interest in blank keycaps, but have not truly mastered the art of touch typing.
So, I was wondering if there was anything that could help me. Blank keycaps are great but if you have not mastered it, it will be hard to type fast.
Hence I was wondering, what if we had keycaps that could be both blank and lettered.
Did some searching, and remembered there was some UV invisible pen.
What if we had the letters on the keycap printed with that special chemical?
And combined with UV light backlit, we can choose whether we want the letters or not by turning on or off the backlight.

But one problem would be finding someone to print keycaps with those special chemicals.

Just a thought.
  :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Just a thought
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 04:31:52 »
Ducky engraved keycaps (thinking of the yellow ones, which are the only ones I have) are pretty much blank in most light, and you can see the legends with the backlighting on (or if the ambient room light is reflecting on the keycap surface just right).

To a quick glance down, for all intents and purposes they appear blank.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 11:52:15 »
You could also just get some of these caps and effectively have the same thing. The legend on most of these keys aren't even visible until the backlight is turned on it looks like.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.0.ff9FSA&id=38245798613&ns=1#detail

Offline Gamingnow

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 13:50:48 »
It would be quite hard to convince a manufacturer to carry something like that out. It would be a relatively specialized product which means without high production rates, the price would be very high. Cool concept though, just not practical. ;)
Poker II [MX Blues]