Author Topic: Realforce <-> HHKB delete key emulation  (Read 5063 times)

Offline TopreFan333

Realforce <-> HHKB delete key emulation
« on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 11:54:27 »
I'm finding myself switching from time to time between a Realforce (well, Type Heaven with Realforce key caps) and my HHKB -- I use the Type Heaven when I need the numpad. Anyway, the placement of the Backspace key throws me a lot and I want to make it like the HHKB. I'm swapping the keys using Karabiner, which is cool, but are there Realforce keycaps to label them right, like below?

164660-0

And yeah, I probably should've dusted this before taking the pic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Realforce &lt;-&gt; HHKB delete key emulation
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 11:59:16 »
I don't think the caps you want exist.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Realforce <-> HHKB delete key emulation
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 12:05:49 »
keycaps that you want don't exist. HHKB is split backspace.

You can use autohotkey to get the same effect, though.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 16:53:24 »
Yeah, I've got the keys registering the right way (Karabiner.)

Oh well, I'll just not look down at the keys. Thanks everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 22:27:37 »

If you were looking down at the keys in the first place you would not have become confused :p

If you don't look down at the keys then it doesn't matter what is printed on them, if anything.

Have you thought about getting a couple of blank keys?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 10:20:26 »

If you were looking down at the keys in the first place you would not have become confused :p

If you don't look down at the keys then it doesn't matter what is printed on them, if anything.

Who said anything about being confused? I can touch-type quite well, thanks. Just wanted to kit out my keys the way they're mapped.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 21:54:34 »

Who said anything about being confused? I can touch-type quite well, thanks. Just wanted to kit out my keys the way they're mapped.

Fair enough :thumb:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cutterline

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 01:04:38 »
If you want the numpad, just get topre 23u and get done with it.
If you brave or adventerous enough, buy novatouch, patch the firmware using novatools, and you get a mx compatible programmable topre.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 14:09:55 »
If you brave or adventerous enough, buy novatouch, patch the firmware using novatools, and you get a mx compatible programmable topre.

Sadly, that 23U numpad supposedly isn't Mac compatible. I think I've heard of people managing to make it work, but so far my need is sporadic enough that it makes more sense to pull out my existing board when I need it. I do have that 23U on my wishlist tho :)

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 14:56:44 »
I am with you on the keycaps because I have a HHKB (my current daily driver) and a RF 87U and a laptop.

Early on, I did some key remapping in the registry and made my laptop and RF like the HHKB. That really made it fun when someone would sit down at my computer or borrow my laptop.  :p

In the end, I stopped remapping keys and I just use both layouts. After some time with both layouts, I find that after a few early mistakes with pressing a bunch of \\\\\\\\'s accidentally, I just remind myself to use my ring finger instead of my pinky to reach for the backspace and the problem is solved. (Part of my issue also is that I also work on other people's computers at work, and they all have standard layouts. So I felt learning to switch between HHKB and standard layouts would be helpful.)
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline OkinaDaikon

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 15:41:40 »
I am with you on the keycaps because I have a HHKB (my current daily driver) and a RF 87U and a laptop.

Early on, I did some key remapping in the registry and made my laptop and RF like the HHKB. That really made it fun when someone would sit down at my computer or borrow my laptop.  :p

In the end, I stopped remapping keys and I just use both layouts. After some time with both layouts, I find that after a few early mistakes with pressing a bunch of \\\\\\\\'s accidentally, I just remind myself to use my ring finger instead of my pinky to reach for the backspace and the problem is solved. (Part of my issue also is that I also work on other people's computers at work, and they all have standard layouts. So I felt learning to switch between HHKB and standard layouts would be helpful.)

I'm also in a similar situation, I use an HHKB at work, but people usually get intimidated and make me drive instead  :))

It's the same case when I got and help others though, always press bunch \\\\\\ when I have to backspace  :p I should learn the swtch but muscle memory always kicks in before the brain does.

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 16:04:32 »
I'm also in a similar situation, I use an HHKB at work, but people usually get intimidated and make me drive instead  :))
Yeah, at my work, it is ideal to use my HHKB as I don't want anyone else to drive  :p
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 22:08:22 »

Yeah, at my work, it is ideal to use my HHKB as I don't want anyone else to drive  :p

Just as long as you trust people not to steal your precious.

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 18:09:01 »

Just as long as you trust people not to steal your precious.
Very, very true

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 16:57:59 »

It's not too crazy to use an MX keypad with a Topre switch keyboard. I used this combo with my PC at work for awhile and it worked well enough:

168829-0

It's a Leopold numpad with MX browns. I put it next to the keyboard for the picture, but it usually resides to the right my mouse. I found it rather fun to use, as the difference in sound is so noticable - thock thock thock, clack clack clack, thock thock.....

Offline Bucake

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 14:21:29 »
it pains my soul when the legends do not reflect what the keys actually send. for this reason a hhkb with blank keycaps and hasu's controller is absolutely fantastic for me. :-)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red