Author Topic: Ceramic keycaps anyone ?  (Read 5779 times)

Offline Magic34

Ceramic keycaps anyone ?
« on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 20:52:36 »
Curious about applying new materials to keyboards, I've come up with a repeatable process to manufacture ceramic keycaps.

Not old fashioned brittle ceramic but genuine zirconia, indestructible and stronger than any metal or aluminum out there.

Can be dyed in any color.

I'm wondering if there is an interest for full keycap sets in the community.

I don't have an idea of pricing yet so any indication of the max you've ever paid for a unique 60 or 80 keycap set would be helpful.

Many thanks

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: Ceramic keycaps anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 21:17:28 »
you might need to keep in mind that switches are meant for light plastic caps. i don't know how heavy a zirconium cap would be, but if you've used an aluminium cap on an MX stem before, you'd feel the overbearing weight of the cap on the low force spring, and the increased wobble on the little plastic stem. doesn't give a great typing experience

that being said, exotic materials are always welcome for artisan caps intended to be used individually and sparingly

Offline Magic34

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 21:37:48 »
Interesting!

Depending on zirconia type, we can achieve comparable density to aluminum.

So you're saying aluminium keycaps on high actuation switches still feel wobbly ? Never really felt it but didn't try a full keycap set

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 00:09:37 »
Interesting!

So you're saying aluminium keycaps on high actuation switches still feel wobbly ? Never really felt it but didn't try a full keycap set
Oh man, this is a great idea... Would love some for the ceramic white skog.

Sent from my sofa using lazy-stuff...

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 00:30:49 »
Interesting!

an aluminium cap weighs roughly 2-3x what a standard ABS cap of the same dimensions weighs. i've tried such an aluminum cap and it's not too bad. just makes typing feel feel rougher and wobblier. they bottom out pretty hard on regular springs.

if you stick a couple of small weights onto a regular keycap, you should be able to simulate what i'm talking about

Offline TheOtherDave

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 16:00:40 »
Curious about applying new materials to keyboards, I've come up with a repeatable process to manufacture ceramic keycaps.

Not old fashioned brittle ceramic but genuine zirconia, indestructible and stronger than any metal or aluminum out there.

Can be dyed in any color.
Very cool!

I'm wondering if there is an interest for full keycap sets in the community.
<raises hand>

I don't have an idea of pricing yet so any indication of the max you've ever paid for a unique 60 or 80 keycap set would be helpful.
Normally, when my brain is working logically, I'd say something like $30-$50. But then I see stuff like the Carbon, Godspeed, Penumbra, or Oblivion sets, and logic flees as I start contemplating ways to spend more money than I should...

(which is probably not the most helpful answer... sorry)

Offline Magic34

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 21:14:19 »
$30 to $50 given the material is not realistic but trying to keep it under $150 to remain "reasonably exuberant" compared to ABS sets above $200

Offline TheOtherDave

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 17:02:06 »
$30 to $50 given the material is not realistic but trying to keep it under $150 to remain "reasonably exuberant" compared to ABS sets above $200
Yeah, apparently "the economy of scale" is real... :))

Offline blawb

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 22:29:40 »
I don't think $150 would be too high for an 80 key set, especially considering this is completely new material (for keycaps). If you post actual pictures of even just one keycap you could gauge people's interest much more accurately.
i hate wet socks

Offline blawb

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 22:31:52 »
Also, the fact that you can dye it makes it even more appealing because you could potentially do custom legends.
i hate wet socks

Offline Magic34

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 00:20:45 »
I don't think $150 would be too high for an 80 key set, especially considering this is completely new material (for keycaps). If you post actual pictures of even just one keycap you could gauge people's interest much more accurately.

$150 is more likely for 60 key set. Still polishing the process and finish but I should have some pics to share in the next couple of weeks.

Offline blawb

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 04:18:48 »
Even at $150 for a 60 key set you might have some interest. Either way, I think it's a really cool project. If you make a few individual keys to post as concept, even if the set doesn't work out, I think some people would still be interested in individual keys.
i hate wet socks

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 05:29:30 »
Surely not interested in full sets. I doubt that ceramic can offer a pleasant typing experience.
Artisans would be nice, and they're absolutely indispensable if you intend to gather some interest.
I think that you can save on the stems by dremeling DSA keycaps (if you cut out the external part of the keycap, this leaves you with the stem and the upper, plain, part of the keycap).

Offline Magic34

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 05:45:07 »
I doubt that ceramic can offer a pleasant typing experience.

It's very organic and smooth yet not slippery. Feels certainly more gratifying than plastic but it's clearly not for everyone.

Artisans would be nice, and they're absolutely indispensable if you intend to gather some interest.

That's part of the plan although not sure yet if it will be individual keys or mini sets (eg. WASD...)

I think that you can save on the stems by dremeling DSA keycaps (if you cut out the external part of the keycap, this leaves you with the stem and the upper, plain, part of the keycap).

Interesting thanks! Will check if I can find "naked stems" rather than dremel full keys

Offline Vladimir

• Professional Dream Crusher
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 07:23:22 »

Interesting thanks! Will check if I can find "naked stems" rather than dremel full keys

The problem with "naked stems" (despite the fact that I don't think it exists) would be that you won't have enuff contact surface to glue and secure it in place. That's why the top of the keycap would be useful, almost like a double shot. Also, if it's only for stems, you might be able to find sets for $15 or something, so it won't be expansive.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 June 2017, 07:25:08 by Vladimir »

Matias Mini Quiet Pro              Noppoo Nano 75-S Brown

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 08:01:01 »

The problem with "naked stems" (despite the fact that I don't think it exists) would be that you won't have enuff contact surface to glue and secure it in place. That's why the top of the keycap would be useful, almost like a double shot. Also, if it's only for stems, you might be able to find sets for $15 or something, so it won't be expansive.

Maybe DSA keys aren't the best choice, since they are the tightest ever :-/

Offline Vladimir

• Professional Dream Crusher
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 09:14:23 »
I didn't specify the profile. But I guess DSA was suggested due to the almost flat surface.
Anyway, just choose something cheap, like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/87Key-PBT-Keycaps-Set-DIY-Keyboard-Keycap-Switch-Universal-Blank-No-Print-Replacement-Key-Caps-For/32795941377.html

Matias Mini Quiet Pro              Noppoo Nano 75-S Brown

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 16:09:53 »
I didn't specify the profile. But I guess DSA was suggested due to the almost flat surface.
Anyway, just choose something cheap, like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/87Key-PBT-Keycaps-Set-DIY-Keyboard-Keycap-Switch-Universal-Blank-No-Print-Replacement-Key-Caps-For/32795941377.html

I did say DSA! :-D

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 16:11:15 »
Probably he could try with signature plastic since they offerta single keys?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 17:52:32 »
I tried this once and ****ed it up hard. The molds I made wound up exploding in the kiln and ruining a bunch of art students projects  :))

What I REALLY want to see is a full glass cap set. Done a bunch of research and it seems like more trouble than I'm willing to go through, but would be happy to finance it.

Offline Magic34

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 07:56:09 »

Gluing on a non flat surface and the added thickness on top surface may create some issues but will definitely look into it!