Author Topic: Help me spec a computer!  (Read 11133 times)

Offline typo

Help me spec a computer!
« on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 02:48:28 »
I want to play Fortnite. Would anyone be willing to take the time to tell me everything I need in a computer for max settings @ 4k? Balls to the wall machine. Budget $12,000USD. I would really appreciate it.
Thank you

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Help me spec a computer!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 03:49:09 »
2080TI

4K 120hz monitor,

Intel's new 10core line. since it has a pretty high turbo.

It's not going to get to $12000.

Fortnight doesn't really scale well in SLI either.

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 04:13:29 »
Fortnite is a very easy game to run, pretty much any high end PC with a 2080 or maybe even a 2070 should be able to run it at max settings at 4k, so with such a high budget as long as you do not go toward xeons and epyc cpu (low frequency, bad for games) pretty much anything on the cpu side from a i7 7700k to threadripper should do, if you want to stream go for at least 8 cores but for just playing Fortnite 4 cores should be enough, same for RAM, 8GB should be plenty but given your budget you could go much higher, allowing you for more headroom for having other things in the background.

although for a balls to the wall machine (complete overkill) if you can find them go for:
a Ryzen TR 3990x or Ryzen 9 3950X
for motherboard, although i like Biostar they are not really high end, so aorus or zenith depending on what you can find
memory would be the fastest possible thing you can get your hands on
GPU well SLI being pretty much dead a 2080TI/Super should be plenty although there is still some very rare games that uses 2 GPU so it you really want to you can add a 2nd one and with Nvidia, founders edition have the fastest chips but worse cooling, so if you plan to water cool go for founders
for PSU i had better luck with Rosewill than corsair but i have not much experience with the high end stuff from the power calculator over on pcpartspicker you would need about 1000W for a dual 2080super threadripper build
for storage given your want for balls to the wall everything the Samsung pros SSD seems the way to go as they are more reliable than evo(still evo are very reliable)
i made a fast and dirty list, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6q3c7T , for cooling a custom loop would be better but that is not for everyone and this cooler need a separate piece of hardware to mount on TR4, so you may want to change stuff around depending on your plans, and also i was going with the idea that you had the 4k screen already, if not those are quite expensive so my list would go over-budget by a fair bit, it is not a finished list just some clues, there is no case for example as those are really subjective.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 04:29:54 »
If you're just looking to waste money you can always get a Mac

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 04:47:41 »
2080TI

4K 120hz monitor,

The one time Threadripper is a legitimate option you went the other way :eek:
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:30:34 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:02:17 »
I don't want you guy's to just think I am a jerk. I have money but I try to be nice too. You can read my old posts here to see for instance the crazy super cars I have. So I am just mentioning this because I already have 3 $40,000 displays! Eizo CG3145. I guess I am set there. I actually have a 2x Xeon Platinum Machine but it sucks at gaming go figure. so does the Quadro RTX 8000. I suppose that is no surprise to you.
I wanted an Eypic though. I figure I would be shooting myself in the foot allover again! So I am looking for a 3990X I guess. For the drive I want a 1TB M.2. I am not sure if the pro comes in 1TB or only the 970. I will have to look. I totally forgot about the pro. I think the pro is a bit slower but way higher MTBF. Even I have had 2 970's fail! Now get this. I have had water leaks. My guy building it refuses to use water. I am not overclocking. this machine is fast enough gee whiz. He says water will certainly get you lower temps but custom is the only way never AIO. He said custom can and will leak as has happened to me. so forget that since he will not even do it. Air it is. I am going to use the rest of the stuff(pretty much everything) yui said. thank you! I know SLI is dead. I am just going to get a  single Founders edition. This should honestly be about half my budget? Especially since no water. I also want no LED's and a simple, small case. It does have to be a 1200W Platinum PSU though. OR if my guy says less watts is okay I would be very happy with that due to electric bill. Yes, I just said saving money LOL. The thing though is I do not want it to be over 80 decibels. Which I think is reasonable because that is already louder than a freight train. He only uses Noctua so I think those are good? I hear the AMD is not hard to cool if not OC'd? Thank you all for such quick replies in the middle of the night! Hey, Turtle that is very funny. We used to throw Macs out our car window at 160MPH! That is what we think about them. I garner you think about the same LOL. BTW, I also take it you know who I am? I mean from this part of the land......

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:05:31 »
Reading that while some of us are struggling to pay rent and keep food in the fridge fills me with nothing but disdain honestly.
Learn to read a room, don't brag about how well off you are while others starve in the gutter next to you, you just come off as an *******.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:12:12 »

The one time Threadripper is a legitimate option you wint the other way :eek:

It's a gaming pc,  and Intel's new turbo limits on the 10cores are encouraging. It will still give gaming a slight advantage over Threadripper.

For anything that's not strictly gaming, Threadripper.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:16:07 »
Is this a parody or something?

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:26:20 »
I don't want you guy's to just think I am a jerk. I have money but I try to be nice too. You can read my old posts here to see for instance the crazy super cars I have. So I am just mentioning this because I already have 3 $40,000 displays! Eizo CG3145. I guess I am set there. I actually have a 2x Xeon Platinum Machine but it sucks at gaming go figure. so does the Quadro RTX 8000. I suppose that is no surprise to you.
Well yeah dual cpu systems are not great for gaming and server cpus are optimized for high core count and stability, not for speed, and games do rarely use more than 4 cores but need those cores to be fast, and server ram is also usually slower, and yeah epyc will give you the same experience there than xeon, maybe a tiny bit better as some Epyc have pretty high frequency, but then you need the motherboard, and a way to cool the motherboard vrm
I wanted an Eypic though. I figure I would be shooting myself in the foot allover again! So I am looking for a 3990X I guess. For the drive I want a 1TB M.2. I am not sure if the pro comes in 1TB or only the 970. I will have to look. I totally forgot about the pro. I think the pro is a bit slower but way higher MTBF. Even I have had 2 970's fail! Now get this. I have had water leaks. My guy building it refuses to use water. I am not overclocking. this machine is fast enough gee whiz. He says water will certainly get you lower temps but custom is the only way never AIO. He said custom can and will leak as has happened to me.
Yeah custom watercooling can leak, mine did until i let some air in the reservoir, i guess the pressure was getting too high. and yeah i know of a lot of peoples who do not want to touch watercooling, for you there is the Noctua NHD15, pretty much the best air cooler around, now even comes in black.
so forget that since he will not even do it. Air it is. I am going to use the rest of the stuff(pretty much everything) yui said. thank you! I know SLI is dead. I am just going to get a  single Founders edition.
if you are not going for water the founder edition will never reach its full potential, i would go for one with triple fans, maybe even an overclocked one
This should honestly be about half my budget? Especially since no water. I also want no LED's and a simple, small case. It does have to be a 1200W Platinum PSU though.
That power supply was a bit overkill for 2 gpu with only one yeah you should take something a bit less powerfull, and the price difference for the efficiency does not make them worth it in the long run, i am just a bit of a nerd and i like the tech behind them.
OR if my guy says less watts is okay I would be very happy with that due to electric bill. Yes, I just said saving money LOL. The thing though is I do not want it to be over 80 decibels. Which I think is reasonable because that is already louder than a freight train. He only uses Noctua so I think those are good? I hear the AMD is not hard to cool if not OC'd?
Noctua does make the most silent fans, yes, and the days of amd being hard to cool are gone but the threadripper is the biggest cpu around, on air even with full noctuas i will expect some noise, not 80db mind you, much lower.
Thank you all for such quick replies in the middle of the night! Hey, Turtle that is very funny. We used to throw Macs out our car window at 160MPH! That is what we think about them. I garner you think about the same LOL. BTW, I also take it you know who I am? I mean from this part of the land......
well it is not the middle of the night everywhere, here it is 12 so yeah not hard. as for macs, yeah the hardware is not great, and way overpriced but the G5 powermacs looked good man, i kinda want to build a modern pc in one.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:37:53 »
RTX 2080 Ti is extreme overkill for Fortnight, I wouldn't waste the money on one. Get a 2070 instead, they are affordable and can still out perform a GTX 1080.

Fortnight is not graphics intensive, so regardless of the card you get I'm sure you won't have any issues.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:41:45 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:41:27 »
Reading that while some of us are struggling to pay rent and keep food in the fridge fills me with nothing but disdain honestly.
Learn to read a room, don't brag about how well off you are while others starve in the gutter next to you, you just come off as an *******.

Sadly social skills and wealth rarely go together, most get to the top by standing on others.  Sometimes they're aware and enjoy it, sometimes they're oblivious.  I know I'd be just as bad if I was in typo's position :(
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline typo

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:53:40 »
Thank you very much yui. I will get this built asap. Luckily my guy is working right now. I bet on air with an 750W or so PSU this comes in at about 4 grand or less! I also saw the Noctua is only 45DB! Oh man am I stoked!

noisy turtle. I did not see that coming from you. I did not know you were upon hard times. My true apologies to you. I did not really mean to brag so much as to say "I have that part taken care of". Still I see how it came off. I am terribly sorry. my fault entirely. I should use a bit more tact in what I write in a public forum. I have known you for years. I am exceptionally apologetic that I struck a bad cord with you. I am not sure what else to say. TBH, Those were purchased by my job anyhow. I do not actually "personally" own them. I hope that at least makes you feel better. I would try to sneak my job into paying for this PC but that would be stealing from the hand that feeds me. Not a great idea. Anyways. My sincere apologies noisy Turtle. I surely hope things look up for you. May God bless you.

Please lets try to end this thread on a good note. I got the computer specs so that part is taken care of.  Thank you yui. noisy turtle, once again I am terribly sorry that I upset you. I had no idea that you were struggling to get by. I shall pray for you.

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:57:18 »
Honestly I am oblivious. My social communication skills suck! I have no friends. Very good thing I am not in sales! Always count on me to say the wrong thing. I have a good heart, I really do. I just suck at expressing myself. I mean this honestly. I am being honest with you guys.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 06:01:44 »
Thank you very much yui. I will get this built asap. Luckily my guy is working right now. I bet on air with an 750W or so PSU this comes in at about 4 grand or less! I also saw the Noctua is only 45DB! Oh man am I stoked!

noisy turtle. I did not see that coming from you. I did not know you were upon hard times. My true apologies to you. I did not really mean to brag so much as to say "I have that part taken care of". Still I see how it came off. I am terribly sorry. my fault entirely. I should use a bit more tact in what I write in a public forum. I have known you for years. I am exceptionally apologetic that I struck a bad cord with you. I am not sure what else to say. TBH, Those were purchased by my job anyhow. I do not actually "personally" own them. I hope that at least makes you feel better. I would try to sneak my job into paying for this PC but that would be stealing from the hand that feeds me. Not a great idea. Anyways. My sincere apologies noisy Turtle. I surely hope things look up for you. May God bless you.

Please lets try to end this thread on a good note. I got the computer specs so that part is taken care of.  Thank you yui. noisy turtle, once again I am terribly sorry that I upset you. I had no idea that you were struggling to get by. I shall pray for you.

suresure, no hard feelings dude. It's difficult to be at the bottom and not hold some amount of contempt for those at the top and I'm sure it goes the other way as well for other reasons, but wealth should come with a certain amount of social awareness and responsibility to at least not tout it during times such as these. It's easy for others less fortunate to feel the brunt of what may be out of their control rather easily.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 06:03:21 by noisyturtle »

Offline typo

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 06:10:57 »
I am really sorry noisytrutle. I feel very bad I said all that stuff now. I always say the wrong stuff. Count on me to do that. No excuse though. I consider you my buddy on here. always have. I feel real bad about what I just did. I am glad you are not furious. thank you. I am really sorry man. Peace.

Offline walie

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 09:04:08 »
Is this a parody or something?

Just have to take a look at OP’s post history to get your answer

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 09:34:31 »
This is like buying one of those jet-propelled land speed record cars that reach supersonic speeds to get to and from the grocery store with.

My i7-3770 with 16GB of DDR3 at 2133, and a 1070 are still more than enough for me, in big budget blockbuster titles. Though I'm not playing in 4k. It wasn't until recently that I even upgraded to 16GB.

The hardware you already have sitting around should eat literally anything for breakfast just the way it is.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 09:37:19 by Maledicted »

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 13:14:36 »
2080TI

4K 120hz monitor,

Problem is TR is known to have meh performance in games, but when it comes to rendering and other computational they're beasts. 

I would say a 3900x would be more than enough, as AM4 is crushing it but again I as well want to see how well this 10th gen 14nm refresh performs (even though at 4k the GPU is going to do the grunt work)
Also I would go for the 4k 144hz options why stop at 120hz lol.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline typo

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 20:42:54 »
walie is right. I am really bad at what I say. that being said I did not want to mess with building a computer. A good brand name would do. My "budget" was obscene. I did not realize what they "really" cost.
So, I just ordered this one. Apparently I got the last one too!
https://store.asus.com/us/item/202003AM280000011/A50159-ROG-Strix-GA35-Gaming-Desktop-PC%2C-GeForce-RTX-2080-Ti%2C-Factory-Overclocked-AMD-Ryzen-9-3950X%2C-32GB-DDR4-RAM%2C-1TB-PCIe-SSD-%2B-2TB-HDD%2C-Dual-Hot-Swap-SSD-Bays%2C-Windows-10-Professional%2C-GA35DX-XS99X

By the way, I sincerely apologize to you once again turtle and anyone else I may have offended. I do not mean to habitually do this I am just not very good at all with conversation.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 00:29:34 »
typo you're crazy...hahaha. you should just give me a job referral, these startups aren't paying enough. also, if you're interested in battle royales, call of duty warzone is definitely where it's at right now. SO fun. they throw you in the gulag for a 1v1 match for a chance to respawn after you die the first time, it's a great time. for an ideal gaming setup, definitely get a fast refresh monitor and use a small keyboard so it doesn't get in the way of your mouse movement. wireless gaming mice don't suffer from the problem of cables catching on the corner of the table but a lot of people still swear by wired mice. choice is yours

Offline typo

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 01:13:24 »
I use an awesome JDM trackball. If you have the hang of it, it blows away a rodent. You can snipe per pixel or fly. I do have other games I did not try yet. Looking forward to that. I love GTA. did you know GTA is the most machine intensive game? Unfortunately my new "grail" board is full size but I am so big pointer is close by. from center of board it is 7" away.

You are working 3 startups?

See my story is a bit different. I did my own IPO 34 years ago. As you can imagine, I could not exactly work for a "boss" LOL. I am not very good at talking to people and usually come off as highly offensive. all of our clients are used to it by now. long standing relationships. they just ignore me. I honestly am no different than Trump himself! Count on me to say something offensive. I do not intend to, I just do not know better. I swear that is the truth. You might say how can a guy with two PHD's be that dumb? It is just that. I am a complete nerd. I lack all social skills. I am just like Steve Irckle!

So is that a good machine I got?

Offline walie

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 09:01:27 »
2080TI

4K 120hz monitor,

Problem is TR is known to have meh performance in games, but when it comes to rendering and other computational they're beasts. 

I would say a 3900x would be more than enough, as AM4 is crushing it but again I as well want to see how well this 10th gen 14nm refresh performs (even though at 4k the GPU is going to do the grunt work)
Also I would go for the 4k 144hz options why stop at 120hz lol.

Don't the competitive fortnite players play on those 1080p 240hz+ monitors? I would pick high refresh rate over high res any day for gaming.

Offline typo

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 09:32:25 »
My neck is in bad condition. I bragged about the TOTL EIZO displays, thus upsetting turtle. My company owns those. The joke is I cannot even afford too purchase the 240HZ ones right now. Corona has finished my part of the Business. These do not even refresh at 60HZ! only 59HZ! I might be able to muster one 32" 120HZ 4K B-stock unit. Only $399.00. It was $899.00 so it is a good one. Panasonic. Display, not TV. Thank you guy's
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2020, 10:02:36 by typo »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 20:19:56 »
I love GTA. did you know GTA is the most machine intensive game?

So is that a good machine I got?

GTA is actually really well optimized, it will run on almost anything with an ok dedicated graphics card. I was playing it on max in 1920x1080 when I still had my GTX 760. I have seen videos of people playing it on cards years older than even that, though at reduced settings, of course.

Doom 2016 is another good one in that regard. I took a single CPU Mac Pro 4.1 that I upgraded to the 5.1 firmware, slapped in a modest CPU upgrade (which Xeon I put in it, I forget), put in a GTX 670, and that was playing Doom 2016 on max too.

That machine is good, probably still overkill for most games. Not sure about the price, haven't looked up every single component. I'm not a big fan of Asus, and I especially hate OEM gaming systems myself. They love to find ways to penny pinch any way they can. They can't do that on the important spec-related components, so they usually seem to do it with the power supply, etc. I would hope Asus wouldn't do that though. Also, water cooling. I agree with whoever was going to build the other system on it. Showy, and risky, with only a marginal difference in temperatures. To each their own though.

At least Dell's water coolers in the 600 and 700 series meant plenty of awesome chassis for people to build new systems in when they leak all over the motherboard, etc.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 20:33:02 »
GTA is actually really well optimized, it will run on almost anything with an ok dedicated graphics card.
GTA is CPU dependent not GPU dependent.

On release pretty much nothing could play GTA4 and San Andreas (not sure about 5) at full detail. It was one of the first to really make use use of multi-core processors, which it still does.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 21:14:43 »
GTA is actually really well optimized, it will run on almost anything with an ok dedicated graphics card.

On release pretty much nothing could play GTA4 and San Andreas (not sure about 5) at full detail. It was one of the first to really make use use of multi-core processors, which it still does.

Yes, I do believe that's still the case with GTA V. I'm aware of San Andreas and 4's horrible PC optimization. That's part of the reason I have yet to have even bothered to try either game on PC, although I imagine my system can just power through it now. 5 is another beast in that regard, and so is RDR2. It seems to me that Rockstar is finally taking PC gaming seriously, even if it takes them a year to finally release their games on the platform.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 22:48:15 »
Yes, I do believe that's still the case with GTA V. I'm aware of San Andreas and 4's horrible PC optimization. That's part of the reason I have yet to have even bothered to try either game on PC, although I imagine my system can just power through it now. 5 is another beast in that regard, and so is RDR2. It seems to me that Rockstar is finally taking PC gaming seriously, even if it takes them a year to finally release their games on the platform.
San Andreas is 15 years old, it shouldn't be a problem on anything even remotely recent. LOL
Personally, I think it's the best one.

I disagree, Rockstar isn't taking PC play any more serious than they have in the past.
I have the distinct impression they actually hate PC players, I think most game companies who do consoles do.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 23:00:31 »
I have the distinct impression they actually hate PC players, I think most game companies who do consoles do.

But especially Rockstar... and From unfortunately BLOODBORNE PC WHEN FROM???

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 23:29:45 »
walie is right. I am really bad at what I say. that being said I did not want to mess with building a computer. A good brand name would do. My "budget" was obscene. I did not realize what they "really" cost.
So, I just ordered this one. Apparently I got the last one too!
https://store.asus.com/us/item/202003AM280000011/A50159-ROG-Strix-GA35-Gaming-Desktop-PC%2C-GeForce-RTX-2080-Ti%2C-Factory-Overclocked-AMD-Ryzen-9-3950X%2C-32GB-DDR4-RAM%2C-1TB-PCIe-SSD-%2B-2TB-HDD%2C-Dual-Hot-Swap-SSD-Bays%2C-Windows-10-Professional%2C-GA35DX-XS99X

By the way, I sincerely apologize to you once again turtle and anyone else I may have offended. I do not mean to habitually do this I am just not very good at all with conversation.

Wait, you got this for FORTNITE?

Offline typo

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 04:21:39 »
Yeah. Plus GTA. The latest GTA scales to whatever you can throw at it. Not Fortnite. Fortnite is just cool. I do not think Asus would skimp on this. It is not HP we are talking about here. Nothing is proprietary. It has their best ROG board in it. The PSU is Platinum plus. I think AIO is okay but stupid. Custom water will leak on you.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 06:03:40 »
Custom water will leak on you.

As someone who ran it for many years - yes and no.  Messing around with hard drives inside the case after a couple of beers killed a graphics card and the only other leak I had was when I plugged in the CPU power cable last when doing a rebuild and knocked the hose on the CPU block, which again was my own stupidity.  Had I used ugly-but-recommended jubilee clips on everything neither would have happened.  A robot cannot connect a hose to a connector any safer than a human so I don't recommend doing either of the above with an AIO either :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 12:36:22 »
San Andreas is 15 years old, it shouldn't be a problem on anything even remotely recent. LOL
Personally, I think it's the best one.

Yup, the concern was always more with GTA IV, and that was mostly back when I was still using a FrankenDell with mostly free and dirt cheap secondhand parts.

I like Vice City for the story, and the money making associated with businesses. San Andreas was great, for the time, for the open world playground sort of features/options. I wasn't a fan of the story. I liked 4 for its physics/gameplay (even with fewer options than SA) and fantastic graphics (at the time).

I think V strikes a good balance between them all. The driving, and certain other physics, are a little more arcadey (unfortunately), but still relatively realistic compared to everything but IV, it has businesses to profit from (though not done as well as Vice City besides in online) and the story is the best I have played since Vice City.

I disagree, Rockstar isn't taking PC play any more serious than they have in the past.

I think we still agree on all of this other than a shift in focus. I agree that Rockstar, or Take-Two, or both, hate PC and/or PC players and/or have felt that PC games weren't worth the hassle. I think they're taking it seriously now because they've made a lot of money on the platform with V.

It could be much worse, like Japanese devs who either never bother to port the game at all, or do so with bizarre key mappings and/or don't even allow in-game adjustments to those mappings, and horrendous optimization to boot.

Yeah. Plus GTA. The latest GTA scales to whatever you can throw at it. Not Fortnite. Fortnite is just cool. I do not think Asus would skimp on this. It is not HP we are talking about here. Nothing is proprietary. It has their best ROG board in it. The PSU is Platinum plus. I think AIO is okay but stupid. Custom water will leak on you.

I actually love HP. I have had HPs from the mid 90s that got rained on on the side of the road that still worked perfectly when I brought them home. I have owned many (10+, of various models and years), new and used. None that I have owned have failed on me. Our school district's labs and classrooms have been full of the things, some running almost 24/7 for 10+ years straight. We had Elitebook "cows" (laptop carts) full of the things that were at least as old and the kids only managed to take those tanks down by smashing the screens. I literally never saw one fail another way. I do not like their proprietary motherboard/power supply interfaces, and ironically used to see that more in Dell than HP. I haven't ever seen it n HP outside of business class, but maybe that's changed.

Conversely, our first Dell desktops that came in to replace them (due to age/speed) had faulty power supplies left and right. Our Lenovo student laptops had hinges failing by the dozen, when Lenovo's replacement model came out, the boards and batteries were prematurely dying. The power buttons were even snapping off of the PCBs because some genius designer felt it was a great idea to solder the button parallel to the PCB with tiny solder pads, so that they were literally the only holding the button in place when pressed. The next revision, I kid you not, added some sort of adhesive or epoxy to the solder points to try to reinforce them ... they still failed from time to time.

Same crap now with Dell Chromebooks. Our first ones had failing hinges left and right, various cables that would come loose constantly because they were poorly secured from the factory. Dell even slapped these plastic, adhesive-backed, cards over the wireless antenna connectors to try to keep them from just falling off of the wireless cards. It didn't work. I had never seen such a thing before. The next revision was better structurally, but brought a slew of battery and motherboard problems ... and many connectors, while designed better, didn't even have the backing for the adhesive peeled off to help hold them in place before they were assembled at the factory, so we've got loose video and trackpad ribbon cables on them constantly.

I like Asus' BIOS options, and interfaces. I don't like how many of them I have seen with bad motherboards, although that was always second-hand, and they were usually "gaming" motherboards, so maybe the previous owners did some stupid things to them as far as overclocking, etc. I also don't like how much they cost in relation to alternative brands that I know are rock solid. It is good that that system has an 80 plus platinum PSU. I still don't like Asus, but my opinion can be swayed.

Offline typo

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 03:26:20 »
Oh don't get me wrong! It depends on the HP! Elite" ","Z.." or "Omen" are things to die for. Will be here long after we all are gone. even old machines hold their own today. you can get a great $600 machine for usage right now! I honestly see nothing wrong with 2x Xeons if they were robust enough.

As to why water leaks and why I am such a jerk are one of the same. It as was mentioned by someone above. a lot of beer and narcotics. Yes, I have a problem but I am 73 years old. What should I do now? Nothing.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 11:07:03 »
r/buildapcforme could help you

But heres a build i found

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($722.41 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($179.99 @ Best Buy)

Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($329.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($353.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Best Buy)

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Best Buy)

Storage: Seagate IronWolf 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($173.92 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming Advanced Video Card ($1299.99 @ B&H)

Case: NZXT H710i ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99 @ NZXT)

Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($258.98 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.99 @ Other World Computing)

Total: $3989.23

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Credit to u/xyvec

Oh and add" WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe SSD with Heatsink" for good measure

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 11:07:44 »
These do not even refresh at 60HZ! only 59HZ!

Pain

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 22:02:49 »
r/buildapcforme could help you

But heres a build i found
Don't bother,
He did what people constantly do, ask for recommendations then ran out and bought a prebuilt anyway. Seems a decent prebuilt, but it's still a prebuilt (or in this case a mas produced "custom"). Can't tell you how many customers do this to me, then turn around and want my opinion on what they bought when I come to install it.

People, you can actually have a local shop build what YOU want, trust me, they don't mind!
You don't have to build it, they can even guide you if you need help or you can walk in with a list of what you want. In the end, unless you're buying from a company like Puget systems or they short change you on the PSU (specify you want name brand) you will almost always end up with something better and longer loved than a pre-built or mass manufacturered "custom" like the Asus above. And you have a local person who knows the system and can fix it when there's an issue instead of dealing with Asus, HP, Dell, etc.. help line and sending it back and forth for repair when something simple fails.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2020, 22:05:24 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 22:26:39 »
Pretty sure the local guy can fix a dell/hp,  buhhh you know, these are are car-mechanics of the PC world.  Tp4 sure wouldn't trust them. hahahaha.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 00:01:29 »
Pretty sure the local guy can fix a dell/hp,  buhhh you know, these are are car-mechanics of the PC world.  Tp4 sure wouldn't trust them. hahahaha.
Of course they can but if you buy a PC there it comes with a warranty there, if you buy a Dell the warranty comes from Dell.

They can fix your Dell but it  wouldn't be covered under warranty unless they're an authorized dealer. Even then it can still take a few days waiting on Dell parts. If a shop builds it it's all common off the shelf stuff they can get from their distributor, possibly that same day. If it's a well equipped place like Microcenter they can just grab another part off the shelf while you wait. I once had a shop replace 90% of a system under warranty overnight after the PSU blew up.

Meanwhile your HP or Asus is being shipped off to who knows where to be repaired by who knows. Don't even get me started on warranty repair clearing houses that insurers like to use, I've seen some horror shows come out of those places.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline typo

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 07:11:05 »
It is all stock Asus stuff! microcenter has it all in stock. If you "build" it at micro center it is about $450 more! Yes, you could get more for the money but you have warranties from all over the place. the local computer store here that custom builds only gives a 90 day warranty. He charges $400 more for a 2 year warranty. That is why I personally was stuck. I can build one. I mean I could have, 40 years ago.....

I think I will though trade the video card with him for a radeon VII 16GB. He of course is jumping at the chance. I bet you all think that is stupid as well. See, if you flash the bios OC it is considerably faster than a 2080TI can OC! Not that I need it anyhow but what the heck. At my age this is my last machine. To be safe, you do not even need to flash it. I can just OC it in Wattman for now.

I think it is a "reasonably" robust machine regardless of the cost. Okay, lets be honest. It is overkill. I certainly did not "need more for my money" at the expense of not having a 2 year warranty from Asus completely serviceable through microcenter. In fact I bought the extended 5 year warranty for a whopping $79. To me, that meant more honestly. Different things matter to different people. I am not your folks age. Most people my age cannot even turn on a computer without help. I certainly cannot repair one.  I know how to but my eyes and hands will not cooperate.

Anyhow, I am happy with my purchase. Quite frankly it was much more machine than I required. If I will trade the video card I am not entirely sure yet. On the one hand, mine is much more money. Which is obviously why he whishes to do the trade. It should arrive here by 3PM central time today. I will not install Asus' bloatware image but fresh from Microsoft. I will just use the Pro product key that comes with it on the fresh image from the USB stick. Of course I will need to go get all the drivers then but no big deal. Actually I never install mainboard, nic drivers ETC. I just use the Microsoft ones work fine and do not fill up the drive. I might get 1% more performance with the system optimized but would rather the drive space. Unfortunately I need to use an x1 card that is missing it's bracket. It is an expensive specialized card so I cannot replace it.

That is the end of the story pretty much :) You folks did in fact help me. Please don't think that you did not. I wanted to know what specs to look for and they were provided. Thank you all.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:14:14 »
It is all stock Asus stuff! microcenter has it all in stock. If you "build" it at micro center it is about $450 more! Yes, you could get more for the money but you have warranties from all over the place. the local computer store here that custom builds only gives a 90 day warranty. He charges $400 more for a 2 year warranty. That is why I personally was stuck. I can build one. I mean I could have, 40 years ago.....

I think I will though trade the video card with him for a radeon VII 16GB. He of course is jumping at the chance. I bet you all think that is stupid as well. See, if you flash the bios OC it is considerably faster than a 2080TI can OC! Not that I need it anyhow but what the heck. At my age this is my last machine. To be safe, you do not even need to flash it. I can just OC it in Wattman for now.

I think it is a "reasonably" robust machine regardless of the cost. Okay, lets be honest. It is overkill. I certainly did not "need more for my money" at the expense of not having a 2 year warranty from Asus completely serviceable through microcenter. In fact I bought the extended 5 year warranty for a whopping $79. To me, that meant more honestly. Different things matter to different people. I am not your folks age. Most people my age cannot even turn on a computer without help. I certainly cannot repair one.  I know how to but my eyes and hands will not cooperate.

Anyhow, I am happy with my purchase. Quite frankly it was much more machine than I required. If I will trade the video card I am not entirely sure yet. On the one hand, mine is much more money. Which is obviously why he whishes to do the trade. It should arrive here by 3PM central time today. I will not install Asus' bloatware image but fresh from Microsoft. I will just use the Pro product key that comes with it on the fresh image from the USB stick. Of course I will need to go get all the drivers then but no big deal. Actually I never install mainboard, nic drivers ETC. I just use the Microsoft ones work fine and do not fill up the drive. I might get 1% more performance with the system optimized but would rather the drive space. Unfortunately I need to use an x1 card that is missing it's bracket. It is an expensive specialized card so I cannot replace it.

That is the end of the story pretty much :) You folks did in fact help me. Please don't think that you did not. I wanted to know what specs to look for and they were provided. Thank you all.

The parts themselves will usually have good warranties if you were to build, if you order from good companies. I believe PNY graphics cards, if not other products from them as well, may still have lifetime warranties. It is rare that I ever have much other than hard drives that fail within however long the average warranty would last anyway though, without overclocking and other shenanigans. Those EVGA 1070s that were burning traces, if you heard about them, were ... an anomaly.

Differences in stock benchmarks between the 2080TI and Radeon VII are considerable. I can't imagine that overclocking abilities of either card would significantly narrow the gap.

A 5 year warranty is nice. My dad was like that, though I had him at least web browsing in Linux for a time.

As far as fill up the drive, do you mean extraneous driver software? I wouldn't be worried about that on drives with modern capacities, but what really bothers me is their unnecessary overhead. Have you heard of the DriverPacks project? They maintain up-to-date archives of the basic OEM drivers for basically every piece of hardware still supported by a modern operating system. I use Snappy Driver Installer Origin, it can (but does not have to) download DriverPack updates and store them locally, which I do so that I don't even need to worry about Windows automatically getting networking drivers working, although Windows 10's automatic driver detection is very good.

If you're doing gaming, you're going to want the latest OEM drivers. Game optimizations come in fast and often.

For cards without brackets, for years, I have just used zip or twist ties to secure the card to the empty rear IO slot myself. I did this even with graphics cards that I stripped the shrouds off of for old BTX Dells in which they would not normally fit, because they were dual slot cards.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2020, 08:35:14 by Maledicted »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 21:52:58 »
A Radeon VII overclocked to hell and back is not going to game better than a 2080 TI.
If you were using Linux (Linux likes Radeons), or doing certain other specialized software, absolutely, but for gaming in general the 2080 Ti is king. Maybe AMD handles Fortnight better )I honestly don't know), but even so, never build a gaming system around a single game unless you do it for a living.

As for "all being Asus", have you heard of OEM? Let's see how they saved that $400.
Keep in mind, I'm not saying Asus did all of this, but they certainly did some, it's how they save money in ways a shop can't. It doesn't mean you got ripped off, I'm only that it's not a straight apples to apples comparison the way people think.

Motherboard - it may be an off the shelf but a stripped version, less rear I/O, lower spec wifi, no ps2 port, less power delivery. You probably don't need all of that, but it saves them a few bucks. The specs aren't a selling point on a retail box so they can skimp. Chances are you aren't going to overclock it like a madman or you would have built it yourself.

SSD - Not the fastest, I would also bet the I/O numbers aren't great. It's not kneepcapped but it's not going to win any races.

Ram, lower speed. Same as above, nothing to write home about and not going to overclock as well (ram chips are binned like CPUs).

Spinner - 2Tb, it may be 7200 rpm, but how much cache does it have? How about access times and transfer speeds, I've seen 5400 drives perform faster than 7200. Drives used in OEMs are often cut rate and slower than retail models. External usb drives are even more cut down.

Power supply - it's pretty rare for a prebuilt to have a truly good psu. Like the motherboard they will cut some corners because they can. They can use fewer connectors, shorter cables, not include the unused cables if modular, use a cheaper, not as nice looking fan. Again nothing is a deal breaker, but they shaved a few things to save a penny. Should you ever move this to another system the cables may not be long enough. Same with a mobo change if the connectors are in a different spot.

GPU - This is a BIG one where OEMS save lots of money, notice it doesn't say Asus or ROG 2080 but instead a"Nvidia".  Louder fans, lower clock speeds, binned chips with little to no OC overhead, cut rate heat sinks. It's a 2080 Ti, so it's fast and meets 2080 Ti specs, but it's a low spec binned chip that no retail model could use due to low clock speeds. In a retail card it would have likely been binned as a 2080 or maybe even a 2070 due to the low OC overhead.

CPUs - binned like memory and GPUs. Do OEMs get lower binned chips compared to retail, I'm actually not sure, but if they have the data anyhow, why would they not. A CPU in a Dell not overclocking isn't going to effect Intel or AMD, but a retail model that does overclock can helps sales.

Warranty - since you brought it up.
That was 3 months for the shop labor not the parts themselves. My SSD has a 5 year, my PSU has a 7 year warranty, ram has a lifetime warranty. My GPU is only 3 years, but not only can I transfer that warranty, I can (still) buy an extended for up to 10 years that is transferable. Spinners are usually 3 year, but there are some 5 year models (my WD blacks were 5 year). More importantly though, solid state electronics either work or they don't it's very rare something fails at the 4 month mark or even the 2 year mark. The most likely failure in any modern system is going to be the spinner drive (age, defects), everything else will just keep working barring outside influence.

The shop wanted $400 more, that's because the shop isn't using OEM grade parts, they used retail enthusiast parts, they had to pay for all that retail packaging and pay someone who is actually skilled to assemble it (not someone on a factory line). It may not seem like much and it may only add up to a 3-4% difference, but it also means the parts are built to actually last longer.

Again, non of this means you got ripped off, only that there is a difference many don't appreciate or take into consideration.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline typo

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 00:35:55 »
I fully agree with both of you! Both of you are 100% correct! However in my case, not overclocking it I just figured the 5 year warranty all in one place was what was most to my liking. Even though I could have gotten more computer for the money. I hope you understand my standpoint. I actually have had the 3 previous name brand machines completely fail beyond repair! Why, who knows? I will just keep the 1080 TI. Even if is sub-spec is a $1300.00 card Vs. a $599.00 one. I am sure stock, which is how I honestly plan to leave it, it is faster. Thank you guy's.

Offline arock0627

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 01:15:03 »
What in the world is even going on in here?

Recommending threadripper for an over bloated vanity rig?

Go spec out something at Falcon Northwest, they'll even do a custom paint job and you dont have to come in here and brag about a computer that probably will never exist because this smells 100% like trolling.

Offline typo

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 02:10:28 »
Why? I got it today. I am using it right now. It was a good off the shelf machine. Why does someone always have to be a jerk? I plan to sometimes play fortnite and often play the various GTA titles. Other than that it will do general duty. It is my only computer. I do have it plugged into an old APC Smartups with a newer battery. That is about it. Other than my keyboard and trackball of course. My job supplied me with 3x high end displays.  I still work. I have too, I am broke. You have 4 posts. Who are you to say.... Oh well I do have one other indulgence. The Xbox Elite controller II. That is kind of a given without a wheel in GTA. I got a deal on it used though. I wish people would stop being jerks. Even walie has lightened up lately. Maybe he understood I have issues. I don't know. I really bought the computer. It is no ones business but to be honest I financed it. See, you could not do that with a custom one either. 4 grand does not grow on trees.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 04:33:07 »
I hope you enjoy your prebuilt. I understand why people do it. Just make sure you treat it right as a whole, as like others have said, you have a whole machine to send back rather than parts with individual warranties.

Fortnite I wouldn't ever worry about. How is it running GTA? CPU intensive game from what I hear.

I also wouldn't make that GPU trade.

Have fun!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 09:02:45 »
Oh well I do have one other indulgence. The Xbox Elite controller II. That is kind of a given without a wheel in GTA.

I play GTA V entirely with a mouse and keyboard, same with Red Dead 2. The default controls aren't half bad. Flying is weird at first, but becomes pretty intuitive.

Fortnite I wouldn't ever worry about. How is it running GTA? CPU intensive game from what I hear.

That system will eat GTA V for breakfast. I had no difficulty running it on max in 1920x1080 with an i5-3570k (at stock clocks), 8gb of DDR3-2133, and a GTX 760, although there were noticeable frame drops from time to time with that setup. I think that mostly fell on the GPU.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 21:24:10 »
How is it running GTA? CPU intensive game from what I hear.

That system will eat GTA V for breakfast. I had no difficulty running it on max in 1920x1080 with an i5-3570k (at stock clocks), 8gb of DDR3-2133, and a GTX 760, although there were noticeable frame drops from time to time with that setup. I think that mostly fell on the GPU.

Absolutely.
My system is comparable to Typos other than the GPU (8700k, 32Gb ram, faster ssd, 1070 SC), playing it on Linux (through Steam) my system runs max detail@1440p and system load is probably only around 30% and that's with a music stream and 30 browser tabs open on the second monitor.

This thing pretty much just laughs at anything you throw at it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline typo

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 17:15:15 »
GTA V does not even touch this thing. It is a 970 EVO plus. I am not sure that is slow? Right. I am keeping the GPU! That guy was waiting for a sucker.  Do not need to send back machine. Microcenter is authorized to work on it. I am happy with the machine. sure there is always better.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 20:46:40 »
It is a 970 EVO plus. I am not sure that is slow? Right.

Asus page you linked
1TB HyperDrive PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (up to 3200MB/s)

That is slower than a 970 Evo Plus which is what I was basing the information on.
Stop making/taking everything so personal, it's a technical spec not a personal slam against you.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More