Author Topic: Newbie Kicad Question  (Read 2147 times)

Offline chungsteroonie

Newbie Kicad Question
« on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 00:37:23 »
Hello,

I'm 100% new to Kicad and the only thing I've done with it so far is to generate Gerber files for a plate. . .which turned out GREAT!  Encouraged by that result, I am now trying without success to open the Kicad files for the plain60 flex edition which I found on Github, and I cannot seem to get it to open properly on my fresh installation of Kicad.  I'm wondering if it is some simple user error as I am unfamiliar with the ecosystem and workflow. 

I found another user's BOM and CSV files which plugged into JLCPCB fine, but I wanted to add the USB C port so I was trying to peek into the Kicad project to extract that information. . . as well as to poke around and learn.  I was wondering if someone else can try to open the project and let me know if there is any trick to it.  I did see in the repository that 3 files reference V2.1 libraries so I'm wondering if getting those loaded properly is the hang-up.

Offline nevin

Re: Newbie Kicad Question
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 04:33:53 »
not extremely familiar with it but that would be my guess.... you're missing some of the dependencies the file is looking for.
make sure you have all the libraries (parts, footprints, etc...) the file needs installed. see if there's a list of dependencies on the git page.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline chungsteroonie

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 September 2021, 23:55:51 »
Oh!!! Figured it out. . . he was using the newest build of Kicad. . not the stable release version.  So I installed the most recent nightly update and everything loaded without issue.

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 05:36:58 »
nice!
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline QuocTrong

• VN
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 08:08:51 »
Hello,

I'm 100% new to Kicad and the only thing I've done with it so far is to generate Gerber files for a plate. . .which turned out GREAT!  Encouraged by that result, I am now trying without success to open the Kicad files for the plain60 flex edition which I found on Github, and I cannot seem to get it to open properly on my fresh installation of Kicad.  I'm wondering if it is some simple user error as I am unfamiliar with the ecosystem and workflow. 

I found another user's BOM and CSV files which plugged into JLCPCB fine, but I wanted to add the USB C port so I was trying to peek into the Kicad project to extract that information. . . as well as to poke around and learn.  I was wondering if someone else can try to open the project and let me know if there is any trick to it.  I did see in the repository that 3 files reference V2.1 libraries so I'm wondering if getting those loaded properly is the hang-up.
with plain60 you need install Kicad Nighty it's at the bottom of the website in the Nightly Dev section and you need to download them to be able to open it.