Author Topic: Yo, dat bebop  (Read 3965 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Yo, dat bebop
« on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 21:03:35 »
As far as live actions go, it's really not bad...

Questionable casting.. but the acting's pretty gud'

Thoughts ?

278883-0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Yo, dat bebop
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 21:22:49 »
how tf did you watch the entire thing so fast?

Only one episode in, but what stuck me is how OLD everyone is. Jet is the only one who's supposed to be remotely old and he's just in his late 30's.
Everyone on the show looks mid 40s, WHY ARE THEY ALL SO OLD??? Spike has ****in crow's feet...
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 November 2021, 21:26:00 by noisyturtle »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 21:34:43 »
I'm ok with spike being a bit older,  Faye though?  They might as well have hired Man-Faye.

/disappointed

Also you may recognize this is a korg sv1 digital piano. in this timeline that makes it vintage, it also has tube amp inside.
278887-0

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 03:54:01 »
I had a pretty horrible gut reaction to the casting. I will watch and come back here - everything from the trailer looks slow and not as flashy as the comic. Why bother with live action.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 09:08:06 »
I had a pretty horrible gut reaction to the casting. I will watch and come back here - everything from the trailer looks slow and not as flashy as the comic. Why bother with live action.

The cgi is pretty spot on,  and honestly, if the anime didn't exist,  the show isn't that bad.. It's OK,   

But next to the anime, the cast and acting is just off,   Except for Jet,  he's ok.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 12:36:13 »
I've not seen it, but I've read a review that said it looked like Spy Kids.

I'm ok with spike being a bit older,  Faye though?
Faye is 77 y/o in the original anime ...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 14:02:32 »
I've not seen it, but I've read a review that said it looked like Spy Kids.

I'm ok with spike being a bit older,  Faye though?
Faye is 77 y/o in the original anime ...

/makes tortoise noises...

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 November 2021, 09:19:56 »
As far as live actions go, it's really not bad...

Questionable casting.. but the acting's pretty gud'

Thoughts ?

(Attachment Link)

No immediately no especially with ed being annoying as hell

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 November 2021, 11:24:38 »

No immediately no especially with ed being annoying as hell

Agreed, ed is not gud'

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 04:41:58 »
Cowboy Bebop was my favorite many years ago when I actually watched anime.

The live action show was fine, it had enough dialogue/scenes/themes that matched to make it seem nostalgic whilst still changing enough up to make it feel like a new show. 

1. It was never going to be as good as proper Cowboy Bebop. There is no point intensely focusing on comparing it, just sit back and pretend it is a new show.
2. It wouldn't have worked if it was a shot for shot copy of the original (or shortened version).
3. Audiences like character development. The show was designed for a new audience also, not just all those familiar with it. It felt like it developed a little too fast. Would have liked to see more actual bounty hunting episodes. But I liked where they took it.
4. Glad they made it and enjoyed watching it. Concerned that they set it up for a second season though. Hope they don't milk the **** out of it. Was expecting it to only be one season.
5. Vicious...... yeah probably the only thing that I didn't like. Felt like someone gave Sethiroth a lobotomy and dropped him off at the wrong workplace.

Ein was 10/10.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 20:30:15 »

Offline yui

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 November 2021, 01:32:51 »
i always felt like i should watch coboy bebop, but i never found any anime that i could watch more than a few episodes so kinda fear of being let down, what version should i watch when i finally overcome my fear :) ?
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 December 2021, 02:55:51 »
Alright, just wrapped up watching the series. Here's my thoughts:

-Inconsistent sets. Some look very low budget some look amazing really amazing. Kinda throws you off sometimes.
-Everyone seems about 10 years older than they are in the anime. Jet looks like he's pushing 50, in the anime he's the oldest on the Bebop in his late 30's.
-Vicious scenes are insufferable. Vicious is too one-not. He was a really boring villain.
-I don't care for Fay's live action interpretation, in the anime she struck me as more demure. Here she's just brash and rash, cussing up a storm. Not devious enough.
-Jet is perfectly cast. Even his voice is perfect.
-Ed was way too on-point. That personality only works in animated form, an entire season of that seems like actual torture.
-Feels like an older show the way it is written, like something made in the late 2000s for Showtime or something.
-Some episodes are too dark visually. The one that took place on Mars (I think?) started to throw my rods and cones out of whack with all the blue and purple.
-Too much cussing. Why did they force so much god damn cussing into this? Unneeded.
-Great soundtrack. Most was lifted from the anime, but still a banger.
-The Binary episode felt very out of place and forced. Just didn't need to be in there at all, and imo the weakest episode of the series because of it.
-Use of Dutch angles is insane, some scenes actually made me feel slightly queasy. WAY too much, sometimes it would literally change angles each shot so you felt like you were getting seasick. I have never seen such reckless abuse of Dutch angles.
-I feel like they tried too hard to make this like the anime sometimes, when instead the show should have found it's own voice and interpreted the material instead of copying it.
-Written like a comedy for some reason. Why were some scenes straight up written as if it were a sitcom?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 05 December 2021, 09:06:14 »
All the characters in the anime were more reserved, and carried composure. 

The live action, they were overtly comedic and I guess this falls into an area of over-acting, ESPECIALLY fay, she's just plainly not attractive.

Offline kahlilnc

• KNC Keys LLC
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 23:51:14 »
I got super excited to see this pop up on Netflix. I only watched the first few episodes of the Anime... But I mean Harold (hehe) drew me in.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 10:50:14 »
lmao it got cancelled

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 07:37:13 »
I think they should have at least run a 2nd season to see how it would have truly done.  In all I like it for what it is, yes, it is rough around the edges but I'm not trying to compare it to the original since it can't live up to that no matter what they do.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 08:21:52 »
I think they should have at least run a 2nd season to see how it would have truly done.  In all I like it for what it is, yes, it is rough around the edges but I'm not trying to compare it to the original since it can't live up to that no matter what they do.

Kinda feel bad for ed though since it was the actors first role and she was so excited to do more things

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 14:16:28 »

Kinda feel bad for ed though since it was the actors first role and she was so excited to do more things

I notice recently NF goes for actors who have never been in anything ever. I saw some interview with the One Piece cast and one was like, "Yeah this was my 1st casting call ever" 
like wtf, you never acted before and land a 6 figure deal major role for a huge series?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 14:19:02 »
6 Fig, is alot cheaper than 7 Fig.   The more unknown the lower the ramp up. The better the negotiation end for Netflix.

They want to remove the A-list and avoid CREATING an A-list as much as possible.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 25 December 2021, 22:07:06 »

Also when they pickup Ed (in the original) is when, imo, things really take off after it - also the comedic relief is on another level between Ed and Ein

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 11:50:53 »
If they'd just replace faye, I think everything would've fallen into place ok..

The actress they chose for ed,  she needs a good 1000 hours of anime binge before actualizing the character.   As it was, she was not grounded and did not reflect ed's attitude correctly.

Offline Curin Derwin

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 12:31:08 »
The ending relies on character motivation shifts the likes I haven't seen since the Game of Thrones series finale.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 12:38:29 »
I find myself actually not disliking the show one bit, except for Julia's boring song.

We only got to see like two seconds of Ed. Had expected more after there had been so much talk about her ...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 14:39:47 »
I think it would have worked better as a standalone movie