Author Topic: [IC] GMK Gladiator : GB starts April 15th! $129 Base kit with 13 new molds  (Read 62424 times)

Offline HYTE-Eddie

• HYTE
Re: [IC] GMK Gladiator : Welcome to the ARENA!
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 16:01:17 »
Bookmarking this set for sure!  Only request would be to have a key with "This is Sparta" on it, like the Delete key or Enter Key  :D

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 17 December 2021, 02:50:37 »
Firstly, I think this is a really cool set that I can tell you have put many hours into and are passionate about.

From what I can tell, it seems like there is a mixture of intentions here of OP wanting to be adventurous/imaginative in kitting choices and the community feedback wanting OP to be much more practical in kitting decisions. Being innovative as a keyset designer is absolutely okay and necessary in my eyes, but not at the cost of real compatibility (something I learned the hard way as well).

Honestly, some sets can get away with being adventurous because the risks taken in weird key inclusion/theming are still functionally practical and don't undermine the exclusion of other keys (40s support, accent ISO, accent arrows in base in this set). From personal experience in designing a set that is trying to do some weird stuff, I understand why OP is protective of his inclusions and also understand the perspective on why the exclusions are not fair/practical.

I think there are two decent compromises here that would appease both sides (in order of which I think is best in the present situation):

1) Switch to PBT - From my perspective, it seems that the kitting decisions you want to take are almost better suited to decisions one would make in the context of a dye-sublimated set. While most of this would be reverse dye-sub, I think this is seriously a viable option here especially with better PBT options opening up in the last year. MilkyWay has good reverse dye-sub even though the alignment of legends is off a bit atm, but the latter can be fixed rather easily. The shift to dye-sub would also allow you to move things around more easily; main example being that you could put 3/4 key 40s support in base and move the roman numeral keys to the novelties or macros kit while keeping everything fairly affordable on all accounts. I also think that a set with this many kitting liberties could really suffer in the current GMK climate as well (not knocking the interest you are receiving or your work at all here, more just speaking on the current state of the market).

2) Stick with GMK - Put 40s into the base kit and move the roman numerals to the novelties or the macros kit. The number one goal should be to get the base kit to MOQ, and I would be worried right now about the pricing of the base kit along with the controversial decisions being made in this current GMK climate. This would dramatically reduce the cost of the base kit and possibly allow for other inclusions like accent ISO or accent arrows in the base kit. The novelties kit currently requires 20 new molds, while the macros kit requires 12 new molds (not including the redundant keys from the molds required for the roman numerals currently in base). To me, the macros kit seems the better option here for a couple reasons. First, you would be condensing all of the interest in the roman numerals into this one kit if they were all in one place. I think this is less risky for the set as a whole, as you would only jeopardize one kit making MOQ rather than the whole base kit itself. Second, you would also be condensing the use of the same molds into one kit and incentivize the macros kit to be made at the same time. This is a minor benefit but still worth noting. I think if you are worried that the roman numerals wouldn't make MOQ organically as a child kit, I'm not sure how you can have confidence that the macros kit, as is, will make MOQ. Especially given that traditional macros kit only make MOQ if the set is extremely hyped or guaranteed buyout, and that your macros kit not only features nontraditional legends that require new molds but also has extra 'novelty'-like keys (objectively). Both of these increase the cost of the kit substantially.

-- side tangent on the red accent arrows: there is a knock-on effect if roman numerals are moved out of the base kit that would favor the inclusion of red arrows in the set. The tan accent arrows can move into the base kit from the spacebars kit, which would then make room for red arrows in the spacebars kit.

I am absolutely not telling you what to do here, just taking a civil approach at trying to help and provide you with options. I hope you consider my feedback and even if you don't, GLWIC/GB.

There's probably a lot I missed, pls forgive.

Hi!! Thanks for the nice and thorough feedback. I really appreciate it!

1. PBT : To be honest, if I wanted to designs epbt/MW or pbt dye sub kit in general, my approach from the start would have been way different. GMK has tedious specifications which were adhered to when designing this. On the other hand dye sub does not. If I wanted to change manu I would probably have to start from scratch to satisfy my ideas.

2. The first and foremost thing is to get an idea what my kiting will cost and if its even producible in a defined cost range. If GMK says this will cost really high, then this kitting is out of question and I will start from the beginning with more traditional choices.
However, I would first like to try out my ideas and see if I can manage to.

Coming to your idea : This is another solution which is possible. In all honesty, just removing the novelties from the base opens up a lot of possibility. You have described quite nicely one of the fallback kitting scenarios which will work in case I need to scrap this. However, as I have already discussed, the point of this kitting is to introduce new molds at the lowest price possible. Having a macros+ child kit with new molds will definitely be more expensive (combined with the base) to buy.

-The Macros kit was designed to use the molds from the base and hence would be more competitively priced. The set was already out in the open for a few weeks before the Geekhack IC. I have collected feedback and discussed the kits with vendors. However, I understand its not possible to know the background info/work from just the IC post.

- 40s inclusion: The optional 3key support will be added if there is a want for it.
- Red arrows : I did not liked how they looked and hence the choice. If enough people want it adding 4 X 1u wont really matter a lot in the final pricing.

In any case, the main points here is that the current kitting makes sure the most user base get a set of additional novelties in the base kit without having to pay the price of a child kit. Its simple and effective. If GMK quotes really high then the idea wont work and I will switch back to a traditional TKL/full base kitting.

I am not good with words. I hope I could explain myself here.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 17 December 2021, 02:52:17 »
Bookmarking this set for sure!  Only request would be to have a key with "This is Sparta" on it, like the Delete key or Enter Key  :D

Thanks for the love!!
Please put your ideas in the IC form. Then its easier for me to evaluate later if we can add some stuff  :thumb:

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 02:55:21 »
This could benefit from an italian language pack, would that be doable?

Specific language packs with GMK is not possible sadly.

Language packs are not a thing because people just don't do them. Not that one should go into this set but I think more packs should be offered if they go along with the theme or kitting. Have a set with hiragana or an anime theme? Why not offer a JIS kit? I wouldn't add it if they were new legends but if there is no up front extra cost to you, I think it can enhance the theme if done right. Personally, I hope we see more of this kind of thing in the future. Some of it is happening though. GMK Teradrive is a really good example of this. When it comes to the current kitting though, you're the designer so do what you want.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 09:09:44 »

Language packs are not a thing because people just don't do them. Not that one should go into this set but I think more packs should be offered if they go along with the theme or kitting. Have a set with hiragana or an anime theme? Why not offer a JIS kit? I wouldn't add it if they were new legends but if there is no up front extra cost to you, I think it can enhance the theme if done right. Personally, I hope we see more of this kind of thing in the future. Some of it is happening though. GMK Teradrive is a really good example of this. When it comes to the current kitting though, you're the designer so do what you want.
you know he's talking about MOQ, right?

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 11:16:25 »

People dont do them because of them not having enough popularity and hitting MOQ.
Not hitting MOQ does not necessarily mean that there is no demand. The current GMK pricing structure is weird. Smaller child kits struggle to hit MOQ because the small groups of people needing those kits dont find it reasonable to spend so much on a small child kit.

From a designers POV, I can make as many kits as I want but vendors would never agree to run them. When a child kit gets cancelled, they have to refund the money and its a logistic hell hole.

From a different manu POV, example epbt, a lot of designers support multiple  child kits because there is no MOQ on them. So even if 5 kits sell during the GB, its fine.

I hope I could explain myself.

Offline apapxd

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 23:15:06 »
yes please

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 25 December 2021, 05:20:55 »

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 08:31:05 »
Love this set and the deskmats, must buy!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 23:20:14 »
Love this set and the deskmats, must buy!

Really appreciate it!!

Happy new year all!

Offline c0d3r

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 13:14:36 »
love this set, when will be a GB?

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 02 January 2022, 11:08:46 »
love this set, when will be a GB?

In a couple of months hopefully!!!

Offline Yuinth

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 11:39:35 »
This set loooks great. Really like the combination of colors and the novelties. Looking forward for the GB.

GLWIC & GB

Offline xmaviik

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 09:42:43 »
Any idea to add ISO-PT support for the international kit @SxM Designs? Thanks
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 January 2022, 10:10:44 by xmaviik »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 10:25:32 »

This set loooks great. Really like the combination of colors and the novelties. Looking forward for the GB.

GLWIC & GB

Thanks for the love!!

Any idea to add ISO-PT support for the international kit @SxM Designs? Thanks

Sadly no plans to extend the international kit. Sorry!

Offline norb

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 11:07:15 »
nice colorway and badass novelties, count me in!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 11:23:55 »
Have you tried traditional cherry legend placement for the Roman numerals? I think that would give it a more cohesive look.

Offline Banned

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 20:36:24 »
Anotha one

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 16 January 2022, 00:55:59 »

nice colorway and badass novelties, count me in!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for the love!!!

Have you tried traditional cherry legend placement for the Roman numerals? I think that would give it a more cohesive look.

We tried that at very initial stages. But in the end, the current iteration is bolder than if we had aligned the legends.

Offline whee74

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 21 January 2022, 14:41:24 »
love the colorways and the deskmats. in addition those renders are really something else!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 24 January 2022, 01:10:42 »
love the colorways and the deskmats. in addition those renders are really something else!

Really happy you liked the set! We worked really hard on the renders :) Great to see the effort getting noticed!

Offline Thon

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 24 January 2022, 23:02:16 »
reserved and creamed

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 06:52:18 »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 03 February 2022, 01:53:09 »
We have a ton of collabs planned including some sick metal ones. More to be shown in the coming days!

Presenting our first collab with KeyRelic!

In the III century BC, Greek warlord Phyrrus almost conquered Rome.
But 'almost' makes a grave difference.
Few centuries later, the only thing left for Greek warriors was to fight in the Roman arena.
The Corinthian - Solid Bronze Keycap from KeyRelic

Offline dvllpxe

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 03 February 2022, 01:59:51 »
We have a ton of collabs planned including some sick metal ones. More to be shown in the coming days!

Show Image

holy dog yep
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 February 2022, 02:02:28 by dvllpxe »

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 03 February 2022, 04:34:40 »

Few centuries later, the only thing left for Greek warriors was to fight in the Roman arena.

Show Image

thanks, this looks cool. how does it look mounted tho? it seems like it might interfere with the surrounding caps.

Offline AshF

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 03 February 2022, 07:42:56 »
Looks amazing!
Almost looks like the Blacksmith in Mandolorian

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 03 February 2022, 13:36:01 »
holy dog yep

You bet :)

Looks amazing!
Almost looks like the Blacksmith in Mandolorian

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

Thanks!!

Show Image

thanks, this looks cool. how does it look mounted tho? it seems like it might interfere with the surrounding caps.

Not really. We have the protos made already. I will try to get some videos from KeyRelic for you all:)

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 03:41:24 »

Here you go!

Offline WarlordGorguts

Re: [IC] GMK Gladiator : Honor & Glory | KeyRelic Artisan Reveal Vid
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 11:27:50 »
KeyRelic artisan, just wow

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
Re: [IC] GMK Gladiator : Color Matching Samples
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 09:02:02 »
Color Matching Steps

To make things easier and faster for GMK to color match, I have been working to get actual color sample in plastic to be produced and sent to GMK. What this will mean is that

A. GMK does not have to match paper color codes to plastic
B. GMKs color matching is really good and getting a close match plastic to plastic would be definitely faster and more efficient.
C. Hopefully without the need for further color matching rounds, the set would be queued up faster.

This is my way of making sure this is done right. I hope you guys like it.

Samples already made for reference ( Please note these are not with me yet and the pics are taken under bad lighting)

The blue green came out absolutely gorgeous and so did the sandy beige. I will ofcourse revalidate the samples when it reaches me before sending to GMK.

Offline stevenT

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 20:01:53 »
Color Matching Steps

To make things easier and faster for GMK to color match, I have been working to get actual color sample in plastic to be produced and sent to GMK. What this will mean is that

B. GMKs color matching is really good and getting a close match plastic to plastic would be definitely faster and more efficient.
C. Hopefully without the need for further color matching rounds, the set would be queued up faster.

Samples already made for reference ( Please note these are not with me yet and the pics are taken under bad lighting)

Show Image
Show Image

The blue green came out absolutely gorgeous and so did the sandy beige. I will ofcourse revalidate the samples when it reaches me before sending to GMK.

How is that possible? I think the steps should be gb -> color matching -> production -> shipping, since there is chance the gb won't meet moq.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 01:08:18 »
Color Matching Steps

Show Image
Show Image

How is that possible? I think the steps should be gb -> color matching -> production -> shipping, since there is chance the gb won't meet moq.

The steps are still as you described.
However, instead of giving GMK a color code if the GB is successful, I will provide them a colored plastic sample which they need to match.

Offline RoyalOak88

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 08:42:54 »
I think this is a really good idea and could improve a lot the GMK queue if other designers did the same.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #134 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 08:20:22 »
I think this is a really good idea and could improve a lot the GMK queue if other designers did the same.
Thanks!! Thats the goal :)

Offline MSA_Vision

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 09:13:12 »
Color Matching Steps

Show Image
Show Image

This is definitely interesting, are the samples you’ve sourced also ABS or do they use another material?

Either way if GMK is accommodating to this request and this works, it could simplify or speed up the colour matching procedure and it’d very beneficial for the community in the long run :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sic Parvis Magna

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #136 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 11:52:15 »
Color Matching Steps

Show Image
Show Image

This is definitely interesting, are the samples you’ve sourced also ABS or do they use another material?

Either way if GMK is accommodating to this request and this works, it could simplify or speed up the colour matching procedure and it’d very beneficial for the community in the long run :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well honestly, I  dont think the exact composition of the material is no way necessary to get a good color match. Also, I dont have the samples at hand and I will update when I get them.
My point heavily stresses on the fact, it is easier to do a color match plastic : plastic instead of paper: plastic.

Offline MaxineCh

« Reply #137 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 06:40:11 »
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/svmchl/ic_gmk_gladiator_update_color_matched_samples/

Color Matching :
This is the longest time taking process in the cycle. Matching from a paper code (in case of RAL) to plastic is really difficult and takes different iterations. Everyone is annoyed with a set taking more than a year.

:thumb:

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #138 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 11:49:22 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 February 2022, 11:52:00 by SxM Designs »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 03:28:25 »
Presenting our cable collab with CableMods!!

Make more collabs to be revealed soon!

Offline dokternik

Re: [IC] GMK Gladiator : CableMod Collab!
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 16:52:45 »
This is art. My oodness... So mesmerizing that I didn't spell goodness right.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #141 on: Sat, 26 February 2022, 07:33:24 »
This is art. My oodness... So mesmerizing that I didn't spell goodness right.

Glad you love the design :) Really appreciate it!!

Offline kkd_20

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 28 February 2022, 06:33:38 »
Any update on GB date??

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 28 February 2022, 09:01:02 »
Any update on GB date??

Just waiting on GMK. Should be very soon!!!

Offline kkd_20

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 28 February 2022, 11:21:30 »

Offline Gorg

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 03:10:24 »
Looks sick would use this hundred perecnt if it came out. Like the historica aspects of it

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 10:53:09 »
Looks sick would use this hundred perecnt if it came out. Like the historica aspects of it

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 08:42:39 »

Presenting the yvk studios X GMK Gladiator spacebar
Material : tropical rosewood & maple (infill resin)
6.25 and 7

Will be available during the GB from the regional vendors.

Offline dvllpxe

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 10:14:38 »

Presenting the yvk studios X GMK Gladiator spacebar
Material : tropical rosewood & maple (infill resin)
6.25 and 7
Show Image

Will be available during the GB from the regional vendors.

(✷‿✷)

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 03:25:08 »