Author Topic: Best website/software for learning How To Type in Russian?  (Read 6673 times)

Offline leech

• …always on the lookout for higher quality…
Best website/software for learning How To Type in Russian?
« on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 04:25:46 »
Where/how did you learn to use your standard Engrish layout keyboard for typing blindly words in Russian?

I am learning the Russian alphabet (print capital, print small, cursive capital, cursive small), the Russian aviation spelling alphabet, but haven't found the best software (or website) for learning how to type the letters (10-finger system) on a regular keyboard, blindly.

Anyone with experience and top recommendation?

BTW one simple fun motivation for typing in Russian: you see something written in Cyrillic letters (retail box, internet meme, banner jpeg, funny photo, etc) and your realtime phone app fails to capture'n translate for some technical reason, so you're forced to type the Russian letters manually with your US keyboard into the Google Translate webpage (actually you get better translation results with deepl.com !!).
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 January 2022, 06:18:03 by leech »

Offline leech

Re: Best website/software for learning How To Type in Russian?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 15:37:19 »
Here is another motivation for typing in Russian. You see handwritten, i.e. cursive Russian somewhere (e.g. in a youtube) and you can decipher the handwriting (more or less) and want to know the translation. A phone app cannot decipher handwritten Russian. Here is a screenshot collage from two youtube clips:

Handwritten Russian is much more difficult to read for learners than printed letters, for various reasons. I was able to decipher the above words manually (took ages since i haven't learned typing yet, hence this thread!):

But did i decipher correctly? A FREE converter webpage produces a similarly looking "handwritten" text for the printed/typed input "Съешь же ещё этих иягких французских булок, да выпей чаю. мишки лишили шиншилл лилии, шиншиллы лишили мишек шишки. Шиншилла лишишь лишилимтшц.":

Now my typed text is ready for translation processing:

The website i am currently using for learning How To Type In Russian is Sense Lang. I doht like it too much but it got me started.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 January 2022, 18:19:32 by leech »

Offline jennyluce

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 05:53:34 »
the best place to learn Russian is youtube free and reliable place

Offline iri

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 January 2022, 04:57:02 »
The translator above even works with mistyped words, which is nice (иягких should be мягких).

I personally learned touch typing using this:

281113-0

But you might want to use an online typing tutor like this one: https://staminaon.com/ru/#ru

And here's a Russian search engine results page for 'touch typing tutor online': https://yandex.ru/search/?lr=21396&text=%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%87%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%8C+%D0%B2%D1%81%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BF%D1%83%D1%8E+%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%B6%D0%B5%D1%80+%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B9%D0%BD&src=suggest_B ; try these if you don't like the link that I posted.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline leech

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 January 2022, 09:51:51 »
Thanks for your input guys! I have "learned" (not mastered) half of the 33 keys so far, adding 2 keys every other day, so ~3 weeks more to go yay! I need about 03min15sec for Lesson 9 (default 300 chars), making up to 0 mistakes. It's a blind key-by-key typing procedure, since i doht know any of the words (vocabulary from Lesson 9) and the words also doht repeat. Because of the lack of word repetition, my fingers doht build up muscle memory for frequent basic words like, in Engrish, the 3-char word "the". And because of that, i doht like that website vely much:

However, i think it is still very good for memorizing the 33 keys because there are so many lessons. 16 lessons to learn the RU-keyboard suits my slow pace perfectly. I'll keep posting/updating this thread (until i quit the "Russian learning" project) because it may be interesting/entertaining to readers who also do not intend to learn Russian: i doht want to learn the language per se, i just find it a fun game to be able to decipher/decode (and pronounce correctly) Russian names, words, short phrases, and if needed, to get them machine-translated (for which one needs to be able to type blindly Russian letters on an Engrish keyboard).

Best inceptions always start with a game, having a playful motivational fun start with something serious. Maybe it could lead to a growing interest in actually learning some basics, Russian For 236 Beginners 101, or a course ending with a level A1 certificate.

a few bestmarks along the way in chronological order:
Lesson 09: 03:15+0err
Lesson 10: 02:40+3err 02:24+3err 02:33+0err 02:09+3err 02:19+2err
Lesson 11: 02:44+4err 02:20+6err 02:08+3err 02:27+0err 02:10+0err 02:05+1err
Lesson 12: 02:32+0err 02:24+0err 02:13+0err
Lesson 13: 02:27+0err 02:14+1err 02:05+2err 02:09+0err 02:14+0err
Lesson 14: 02:22+0err 02:14+0err 02:00+2err 02:01+0err 01:51+5err 01:55+3err 01:55+0err 02:10+0err 01:56+0err 01:57+4err
Lesson 15: 02:00+0err 01:54+0err 01:56+4err 01:57+2err 01:53+4err
Lesson 16: (scratched), instead 2022-01-31: going straight to typeracer.com, first day races 100-115cpm
So basically in less than 4.0 weeks i've totally learned all 33 letters of the Russian alphabet and how to touch type them. It seems that i caht get really faster than the above numbers because i doht read the words because i doht know the vocabulary, so it's literally a letter-by-letter typing process limited by how fast your focused look and concentration can process the letters, and that's quite exhausting. I'll keep practicing and try to start reading the words in my mind. typeracer is good for that new take because the texts are short and keep repeating.
=======
it's another day. once per day.
Lesson 16 revisited (1558chars): 16:46+112err 14:19+66err 13:16+8err 12:33+6err 13:15+11err 10:33+49err
2022-02-10 Lesson 16: 09:42+13err
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 February 2022, 05:18:07 by leech »

Offline takeeventually

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 05:43:31 »
The Russian language is a hard one because of many forms of time. I think the best variant is to find a teacher and after getting some knowledge, move to this country for at least a few months to practice.  If you don't want to hire a teacher, it's not bad but someone must review your level. I used one resource to find the best review service for my texts, and after each assessment, I learned from my mistakes. It helped me so much to boost my skills in grammar and semantic content. You also may do video chats with Russian people to learn slang words and sentences.

Offline MerleRamsey

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 06:47:44 »
You should go to youtube and check out the videos to how to learn russian language. As a college student, my brother has an inordinate number of assignments to finish. I gave the question, "Where can I get someone to write your argumentative essay?" some thought. I discovered this link on Google: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/what-is-more-convenient-to-write-your-essay-on-a-computer-or-on-paper/. Through this website, you can test out many resources and study papers. The team is made up of highly qualified writers who hold MA and Ph.D. degrees from recognized institutions.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 December 2022, 02:02:50 by MerleRamsey »