geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

model m key comparison - '87 ssk (1391472) + '91 (1391401)

(1/3) > >>

dem0critus:
I just picked up an '87 SSK model m, and I noticed that the keys are very different compared to the standard model m.
I thought I would post some detailed pics, mainly because I haven't seen this up-close comparison anywhere else.

I was actually pretty surprised at how easy it is to tell the difference just by looking at the keys with the naked eye.

The first thing I noticed is that the SSK keys are all one piece (except the j and f keys) , unlike the standard model m capped keys.
Also, I noticed that the letters on the keys from the '87 board have much better definition than those on the '91 board.
All of the pics below are taken with the '91 model m keys sitting on top of the '87 ssk board:

As you can see, there's a lot more bleeding in the standard m keys, which give the 87 keys much more definition.
I'm not sure if this is because the keys are older, or because they're from a space saver, but either way the difference is obvious.
Another thing I noticed is that it seems like there is more blue coloring in the newer keys, which is very difficult to notice with the naked eye alone.

So, for anyone out there wondering what the difference is in these keyboards, now you know!

DaemonRaccoon:
Intresting that yours are one piece keys, my '91 SSK has two piece keys. The reason the '87 has sharper legends is they were probably printed with newer transfer sheets on a less wornout machine.

dem0critus:
Yeah, I thought it was really strange that they are one piece too.  I don't have a TON of experience on model m's, but it's the first time i've seen one piece keys on em.  

I figured that it might have to do with the fact that the machines were less "worn out", but I didn't expect the difference to be as noticeable as it is.

Anyone else out there have one piece keys on an older m?

weenis:

--- Quote from: dem0critus;476931 ---Anyone else out there have one piece keys on an older m?
--- End quote ---
I just purchased a 1987 SSK with 1 piece keys. It also has "F" and "J" as 2 piece.

KillerBee:
My history and contact with older Model M

1386304 June 1985 (one piece)
 1386304 September 1985 (two piece)
1386304 November 1985 (one piece)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version