Author Topic: Continued experiments in homemade key caps...with interesting results.  (Read 71734 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: My first attempt at homemade key caps...with interesting results.
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 17:03:07 »
I use bondo to fill and then resand again. Your imperfections can very easily be removed for a new master.

Yeah, they definitely can be pretty easily fixed.  I just was never super in love with this one to begin with, partially because of the look on the face, partially because I made the ears a little too big.  It was just a fun little goof.  So I may just continue to use it in all its derpy glory because it's fun.

On the other hand, if I messed up my cyclops, I'd definitely go about fixing it correctly. 

I couldn't wait to show it off.  I should get the base cast today, but the top half is done, so I decided to cast a blank really quick.  I definitely need a pressure pot to help get rid of some of the bubbles.   Too bad they're so damn expensive.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 17:05:08 »
nice haha, that guys needs some LED love :P

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 18:31:38 »

I'll either make a translucent version (but it will have bubbles right now) or drill out the eye.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 18:52:31 »

I'll either make a translucent version (but it will have bubbles right now) or drill out the eye.

drill out the eye

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 03:31:43 »

What material would you use for casting if you wanted to make the cap translucent?
;)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 14:52:50 »
Either smooth on crystal clear or polytech clear most likely. I have had very good results with the smooth on with my pressure pot.

edited to provide more info.
Crystal Clear® 202
http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1120_1156/index.html

here is a link to the Poly-Optic 1410 I was trying to think of
http://polytek.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=257
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 December 2013, 20:34:16 by domoaligato »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 19:48:53 »
And here's the kind of difference you can see with a pressure pot:

Still a little darker than I'd like, meaning I probably need some different dyes, but the cast is nice and bubble free.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 23:17:15 »
Ooh, nice! Looks clean as hell Nub!
;)

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 03:52:23 »
These new caps you are making are looking really, really good to be honest, well done!

The only thing i dislike about them are the fingerprints that seem really visible, if there is a way for you to get rid of them the caps will look even better (imho). But anyway good job!
What the hell am I even doing

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 06:52:45 »
Is that ignite or so strong pigments?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 09:14:17 »
These new caps you are making are looking really, really good to be honest, well done!

The only thing i dislike about them are the fingerprints that seem really visible, if there is a way for you to get rid of them the caps will look even better (imho). But anyway good job!

The newest one, the Hard Knock Waz, doesn't have any noticeable fingerprints and the Cycap has minimal ones.  The Derp Cap v2, well, that was a special beast.

Nope, just a mixed Alumilite pigment and backlit by a light table underneath the cap.  It's incredibly dark unless you have some backlighting under it.  I need to get some more translucent friendly pigments since alcohol inks don't really seem to work with the resin.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 11:10:27 »

The newest one, the Hard Knock Waz, doesn't have any noticeable fingerprints and the Cycap has minimal ones.  The Derp Cap v2, well, that was a special beast.

Nope, just a mixed Alumilite pigment and backlit by a light table underneath the cap.  It's incredibly dark unless you have some backlighting under it.  I need to get some more translucent friendly pigments since alcohol inks don't really seem to work with the resin.

It would be cool if you somehow watermarked your caps by putting your finger print on the inside of the cap or something :)
;)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 16:57:16 »
ignite pigments for me tend to work very well.
they lighten up quite a bit compared to when you mix them into the resin pre-cure.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 00:44:53 »
I'll have to check ignite out then.

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 19:27:25 »
any update on topre keycaps? my hhkb cannot wait  ;D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 19:39:35 »
any update on topre keycaps? my hhkb cannot wait  ;D

I don't have any caps yet to use as masters.  I should pick up a couple Esc row caps from EK, but also would really like an Fn cap.

I do have a new cap design that will be out soon.  It's a fun little hooded figure.  A little less playful than my past designs.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 18:34:59 »
Had some more fun today with some different pigments and seeing how they'd behave.  This new set is really hard to get accurate shots of.  The pictures make them appear to almost have a mother of pearl effect to them.  The copper pigmentation is much less noticeable unless it's under direct light.  And even though they look almost solid in color, they still allow a lot of light through.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 18:36:27 »
Those are ****ing awesome! I don't suppose you'd let me buy that trooper? ;) (Is there an official name for them yet?)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 18:37:56 »
I LOVE those!  Excellent color combinations!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 20:40:29 »
astro-derp  :thumb:

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 20:45:20 »
Had some more fun today with some different pigments and seeing how they'd behave.  This new set is really hard to get accurate shots of.  The pictures make them appear to almost have a mother of pearl effect to them.  The copper pigmentation is much less noticeable unless it's under direct light.  And even though they look almost solid in color, they still allow a lot of light through.

Generally curious are the pigments you are experimenting with not the normal sort for urethane coloring?  Alternative materials?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 22:19:48 »
Holy **** that trooper is epic.. Looks like a Galaxy!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 13:13:21 »
Those are ****ing awesome! I don't suppose you'd let me buy that trooper? ;) (Is there an official name for them yet?)

I think I'll go with nebula for the color.  I had some other ideas, but the comments on the galactic look cemented nebula as the name.  So it will be Nebula Trooper, Nebula HKW, and Nebula Derp cap.

And I'm not sure when I'll put them up for sale.  I want to do some more experiments first.

Thanks!

The colours remind me of this : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/Eagle_nebula_pillars.jpg

Amazing.

And you just gave me the name for the colors.

Generally curious are the pigments you are experimenting with not the normal sort for urethane coloring?  Alternative materials?

It's a secret.  ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2014, 13:18:23 by nubbinator »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 16:17:17 »

I think I'll go with nebula for the color.  I had some other ideas, but the comments on the galactic look cemented nebula as the name.  So it will be Nebula Trooper, Nebula HKW, and Nebula Derp cap.

And I'm not sure when I'll put them up for sale.  I want to do some more experiments first.

Thanks!

The colours remind me of this : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/Eagle_nebula_pillars.jpg

Amazing.

And you just gave me the name for the colors.

It's a secret.  ;)

Yeah man Im taking a break from buying caps for awhile but Id love to get that Nebula, its amazing...  :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 00:52:38 »
Yeah man Im taking a break from buying caps for awhile but Id love to get that Nebula, its amazing...  :thumb:

Haha, yeah, I was just having fun, but it seems like it's pretty popular.  I'm playing around with some other "nebula" color combos.  One of the ones I did today turned out great.  The other I'm not so happy with the color since it didn't blend as well.  I'll get more pics of those later.

And the other thing I was working on today:

It was just a quick and dirty cast without the stem and outside the pressure pot to make sure the mold was good, but it should give you an idea of what it will look like.  I'm not sure of what to call it yet, but it should be a fun one to work with.  Thanks to how the master was made, the mold should help me be able to get some good and distinct bicolor "doubleshot" type caps with the face one color and the hood and the rest of the cap a second color. So far, this is really my favorite one I've made aside from Hard Knock Waz.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 00:59:46 »

Haha, yeah, I was just having fun, but it seems like it's pretty popular.  I'm playing around with some other "nebula" color combos.  One of the ones I did today turned out great.  The other I'm not so happy with the color since it didn't blend as well.  I'll get more pics of those later.

And the other thing I was working on today:

Show Image

Show Image

It was just a quick and dirty cast without the stem and outside the pressure pot to make sure the mold was good, but it should give you an idea of what it will look like.  I'm not sure of what to call it yet, but it should be a fun one to work with.  Thanks to how the master was made, the mold should help me be able to get some good and distinct bicolor "doubleshot" type caps with the face one color and the hood and the rest of the cap a second color. So far, this is really my favorite one I've made aside from Hard Knock Waz.

Hell yea that nebula color sure is amazing... never seen anything like it! You and Binge sure are coming up with some amazing colors...  :eek:

Nice man! Hooded Skull man! Kind of like Skeletor :P make it purple, black, and off white ;D

Offline Coreda

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 01:15:38 »
Very cool Nubs! They remind me of stop-motion models. Always a special place in my heart.

Has anyone tried 3D printing keycaps? Vaguely remember some thread. Having a set of video game character heads printed from original models would be pretty epic  ;D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 01:25:07 »
Very cool Nubs! They remind me of stop-motion models. Always a special place in my heart.

Has anyone tried 3D printing keycaps? Vaguely remember some thread. Having a set of video game character heads printed from original models would be pretty epic  ;D

You mean like these?  I can't really take credit for the design since I merely used an existing model for keythulhu and combined existing models for the others.  The Noh Demon and rubber ducky are caps I'd been wanting to make for a while, I just don't have the artistic ability to make something as intricate as the Noh Demon.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 01:37:38 »

You mean like these?  I can't really take credit for the design since I merely used an existing model for keythulhu and combined existing models for the others.  The Noh Demon and rubber ducky are caps I'd been wanting to make for a while, I just don't have the artistic ability to make something as intricate as the Noh Demon.

Show Image

Nice ones  :thumb: The devil's in the detail, eh  ;) There totally needs to be some store for such custom 3D keycaps. Who wouldn't want to occasionally splurge on some awesome, unique caps for their board.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 01:53:18 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That Noh Demon/ Hannya Mask is epic...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Continued experiments in homemade key caps...with interesting results.
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:07:43 »
And here's the stuff I was working on yesterday on my day off and tonight, including the new cap design:

From left to right:  Skeletor, Visitor, and Miami

Nebula series continued.

More nebula series.  I'm not as happy with this one outside of the Trooper cap.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:09:42 »
nubs your caps are crazy!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:10:19 »
 :eek:

They are all great!!!  Especially like all the sparkly caps :)  (Also the miami color combo is my favorite)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 08:07:53 »
The cowled skulls look great -- very nice work on making them two colors like that. Awesome work!
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 23:03:13 »
Three more cowled additions, with the new colors being El Diablo, Pluot, and Sic 'Em.  If you can figure out why the last two have those names, I'll give you dibs on one of the new designs, but you have to get both of them.

and another Cycap and trooper:

Sadly, three of my molds decided to fail tonight, probably because they pre-pressure pot molds not made under pressure, so I can only do Trooper caps and the new cowled figure.  The Derp Cap v2 may be permanently retired.

I'm debating putting them up on Saturday or if I should do a 24 hour notice thing, have a post with all the details, and make it open at a specific time the next day with first come first serve getting it.

:eek:

They are all great!!!  Especially like all the sparkly caps :)  (Also the miami color combo is my favorite)

Thanks.  They're definitely fun to make, though I get a bit impatient sometimes since they can take a few hours to make.

nubs your caps are crazy!

Thanks man!  I'm just having fun making stuff.

The cowled skulls look great -- very nice work on making them two colors like that. Awesome work!

Thanks, though they were more supposed to be some gaunt looking alien than a skull.  They do have a little of the Dia de los Muertes skull look going to them though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 January 2014, 23:19:20 by nubbinator »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 23:18:01 »
the trooper is going to go up for sale?!?!?! :eek: :p :p

Offline illy865

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 00:21:10 »
Three more cowled additions, with the new colors being El Diablo, Pluot, and Sic 'Em.  If you can figure out why the last two have those names, I'll give you dibs on one of the new designs, but you have to get both of them.

Show Image

A pluot is a plum-apricot hybrid, hence the colors (I had some of those somewhat recently)and Sic'em and its colors represent the Sic'em Bears (of Baylor University Football) chant, right?  Is Baylor your alma mater?
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2014, 00:37:32 by illy865 »
AEK - Orange ALPS | Leopold FC700R - Cherry MX Red | CM Storm Quickfire TK - Cherry MX Blue

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 00:31:52 »
And here's the stuff I was working on yesterday on my day off and tonight, including the new cap design:

Show Image

From left to right:  Skeletor, Visitor, and Miami

Show Image

Nebula series continued.

Show Image

More nebula series.  I'm not as happy with this one outside of the Trooper cap.

Love the color names!!! Aliens and Skeletor #winnningggg :ad

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 22:30:34 »
Finally turned my 3D printed DucKey into a cast cap:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 22:31:28 »
Finally turned my 3D printed DucKey into a cast cap:

Show Image

Show Image

Needs to be yellow :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 22:33:03 »
It's definitely planned, just tried it in cyan first.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 22:36:03 »
<-- fully supports the current color choice  ;D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 17:59:10 »
Some new caps on the way to replace my busted molds.  I don't know why, but I kind of like doing runs until the mold self-destructs.

Need some help naming the new designs.  Still not sure how I feel about the close up style Visitor face.

And DucKey and a matching Visitor:

I'm planning some fun translucent hybrids with the DucKey.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 18:03:23 »
The yellow teeth = 'cheese'

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 18:08:07 »
Some new caps on the way to replace my busted molds.  I don't know why, but I kind of like doing runs until the mold self-destructs.

Need some help naming the new designs.  Still not sure how I feel about the close up style Visitor face.

Show Image

Is it a dog?  Is it a Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog?

More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 18:10:59 »
Is it a dog?  Is it a Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog?

Show Image

More
Show Image

It's a thing.  It's kind of bunny-like, kind of I have no clue what the monstrosity is.  The problem with my design is that they're more in the moment.  I have an idea of what I want to make, then almost always end up making something totally different. 

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 19:08:31 »
That cheeky grin and that bunny look fantastic!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 19:14:49 »
Thanks.

I may name the grin 42 or Don't Panic.  The original one I made (and messed up) looked better, but it reminded me some of the smiley face from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy sans tongue.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 22:38:26 »
The DucKey is so cool, what's your method for the different colors?
;)