Author Topic: Making 7x stabilizer (Costar and Cherry) wire  (Read 12416 times)

Offline phoenix1234

Making 7x stabilizer (Costar and Cherry) wire
« on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 23:09:25 »
Costar 7x

When I was waiting for the failed Ali GB, I thought his plate design can support Costar 7x stabilizers so I spend quite sometimes to make the Costar 7x stabilizer wire. Today I would like to share some of my experience so it may save you time and efforts if you attempt to do so.

Material:
16 AWG (1.29mm) stainless steel wire (inox 304)

Tools:
- Combination pliers
- Nose pliers
- Vise
- Heavy side cutter
- 150g hammer and a wooden anvil (to avoid scratching the wire too much)

At first, I think making Costar stabilizer wire is easy. I used the Wire Bender Jig to bend. It doesn't work at all. The 16 AWG inox wire is so hard, it created some damage to the jig bender.

Some people may suggest that we should use the EZ Bender to bend, they even have a clip on youtube :
On the clip, they only support up to 0.047 Music Wire (1.19cm) while I intended to use 1.29cm wire. Plus, when I read the instruction, the manufacturer said "Do not attempt to bend hardened wire (music wire) with this tool." So I'm not sure if EZ Bender is the right choice.

So it turned out in my case, I can only see the steel pliers and vise are really useful.

Design:
This is the design that I made based on the reverse engineering measurement of the original Costar 6.25x:

*it should work, untested on a real plate so it may need to be adjusted a bit.

Steps:
+ Order a roll of 16 AWG (1.29mm) stainless steel wire (inox 304) from the local market
+ Cut into smaller pieces of wire, 200mm each
+ Straighten each piece with the hammer on the wooden anvil

+ Bend the central of the wire to create the trench around the switch
+ Bend the two corner to make it 180 degree

1st prototype on 1mm wire:

2nd prototype on 1.29mm wire:

Implementation problems:
+ 16 AWG Stainless steel 304 is very hard, the Costar manufacturer must have the CNC bending machine to bend it precisely. If we are going to bend the wire manually, the combination pliers, heavy nose pliers, heavy vise should be used carefully and slowly.
+ The precise Z-bend in the middle is the hardest part.
+ Each Costar 7x wire will need at least 190mm material.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 09:10:43 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline phoenix1234

Re: Making 7x stabilizer (Costar and Cherry) wire
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 03:33:02 »
We may know that the stock Cherry 7x stabilizer wire was not made from stainless steel.
Over the time, the corrosion may appear on the wire more or less depending on storage condition.
So I also changed some of my lovely Cherry 7x stabilizer wire to stainless steel.

Material:
14 AWG (1.63mm) stainless steel wire (inox 304)

Tools:
- Combination pliers
- Nose pliers
- Vise
- Heavy side cutter
- 150g hammer and a wooden anvil (to avoid scratching the wire too much)

14 AWG inox wire is much more harder than the Costar one.
At first, I even tried with the 12 AWG (2mm) one but I gave up on that.
It is not easy to bend the 90 degree. However, after several trials and errors, I can do it successfully with some damage left on my steel pliers  :-X.

*14AWG vs 12AWG

*Unfinished wire before cutting the two ends.

*It is hard to do the razer flush cut on the wire-end without the right tool. In my case, I grind it with a Dremel 3000 bit.

In conclusion, although these are not perfect, it is fun to try because eventually we can have a stainless steel wire to put on our lovely keyboard.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 09:35:38 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 08:53:18 »
I've made a couple 7x costar wires for myself with an EZ Bender.  Had to stop at two, since I also bent the 'lips' of the die.  Haven't gotten around to picking up the next larger size die yet for future use.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 09:22:24 »
I've made a couple 7x costar wires for myself with an EZ Bender.  Had to stop at two, since I also bent the 'lips' of the die.  Haven't gotten around to picking up the next larger size die yet for future use.

Thank you for sharing that information.
If you are going to pick up the next large size die, I think you should only use them on soft wire.

EZ Bender has 4 die sizes.
Forming Die #1: .015-.020 (0.38mm-0.51mm)
Forming Die #2: .031-.047 (0.79mm-1.19mm) -> Probably, this is the one that you were using to bend the Costar.

Forming Die #1: .062-.072 (1.45mm-1.82mm) -> This should be suitable for bending 1.63mm Cherry stabilizers wire. Unfortunately, the manufacturer indicated "Note: Do not attempt to bend hardened wire (music wire) with this tool." So I'm afraid it will be broken if we use it to bend 14AWG inox 304 wire.

Forming Die #2: .072-.093 (1.82mm-2.40mm)
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 09:24:26 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 09:22:35 »
double posted because of GH error.
I like linear switches

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 09:57:18 »
Thanks for sharing! I was considering making some 7x wires but after seeing this it seems like it's more formidable of a task than I had initially envisioned.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 03:18:51 »
What is the actual type of wire used in Costar/Cherry stabs? Where is a good place to source the wires for making stabs?

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 03:39:06 »
What is the actual type of wire used in Costar/Cherry stabs? Where is a good place to source the wires for making stabs?

What is the actual type of wire used in Costar/Cherry stabs?

I think it depends on the OEM.
The original stabilizers of Costars is stainless steel, high quality.
Cherry stabilizers on Poker X, Lepold, Ducky is stainless steel, I believe.
Cherry stabilizers on Cherry G80 is soft, easy to have corrosion, iron with tin plated, I think.

Where is a good place to source the wires for making stabs?
I'm not sure where is your location but you can it on any hardware store.
Inox 304 is good enough but if you want to have more corrosion protection and resistance against chemical, you can consider inox 316 (more expensive, indeed).
I like linear switches

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 04:34:20 »
What is the wire used for normally? Why would the hardware store carry it? What length does the wire come in normally? Presumably it's not in a roll. What is the correct gauge? 14 AWG? That's the same as 1.6mm I'm guessing.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 05:56:53 »
OMG!!! you're the man phoenix!!!

I've been wanting to do this forever but really wasn't sure what kind of wire to use...

Thanks
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 07:54:14 »
What is the wire used for normally? Why would the hardware store carry it? What length does the wire come in normally? Presumably it's not in a roll. What is the correct gauge? 14 AWG? That's the same as 1.6mm I'm guessing.

What is the wire used for normally?
The wire used normally for many applications, like making paper clips (from small one to the heavy duty one), making fences, making modules in equipment, etc.

Why would the hardware store carry it?
I think we are talking about the hardware store where we can find nail, bolt, screws, pliers, wire...

What length does the wire come in normally?
Usually, they are sold in roll and measured by weight (lb or kg) or by length (foot or m)

Presumably it's not in a roll. What is the correct gauge? 14 AWG? That's the same as 1.6mm I'm guessing.
If you want to have something already straightened, you can consider stainless steel tig welding wires but I'm not sure which one is suitable. If you plan to make Cherry stabilizers, 14 AWG is just right, 12 awg is too big while 16 awg is too small for making them.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 12:41:01 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 10:46:33 »
Very cool, phoenix! I will need to do this myself at some point, so it's great that you've documented the process.

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 11:11:42 »
If it comes on a roll, then how can it be stiff enough to straighten and use for the stabilizer?

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 12:37:15 »
If it comes on a roll, then how can it be stiff enough to straighten and use for the stabilizer?

For 14awg steel wire, it is quite easy and there many tricks to do so. For example, using a drill as they did for RC airplanes

In my case, I cut ~30cm each, then I used a plastic hammer ~150g and straightened them on a piece of wood.
This is the results.

Very cool, phoenix! I will need to do this myself at some point, so it's great that you've documented the process.
OMG!!! you're the man phoenix!!!
I've been wanting to do this forever but really wasn't sure what kind of wire to use...
Thanks

I'm glad that you like it.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 12:44:31 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 15:10:07 »
That's a neat trick with the drill.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 20:14:24 »
Necro bump : I need to buy a new die for my EZ Bender still...
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 20:27:20 »
The thread is very informative and interesting, thank you for the necro bump.

Offline roooot

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 18:11:24 »
Thank you for sharing this nice project!
Here's a quote and an update:

On the clip, they only support up to 0.047 Music Wire (1.19cm) while I intended to use 1.29cm wire. Plus, when I read the instruction, the manufacturer said "Do not attempt to bend hardened wire (music wire) with this tool." So I'm not sure if EZ Bender is the right choice.

The official website says:
Not to be used with hardened wire above 0.062" such as "music wire". Hardened wire below this size can be used.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 November 2021, 09:04:31 by roooot »

Offline andresteare

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 07:52:24 »
anyone knows how to look for that wire bending plier on aliexpres? I can't find it

Offline roooot

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 09:19:07 »
anyone knows how to look for that wire bending plier on aliexpres? I can't find it
What pliers do you mean?
  • If you mean the Du-Bro E/Z Bender rather than pliers: AliExpress is mostly for products from China, whereas the Du-Bro E/Z Bender is from the US. You can find it on other websites, for example the official one or eBay.
  • If you mean "round nose and concave pliers" and similar: Their leverage is way too weak to bend spring wire comfortably.
  • If you mean normal pliers mentioned in this thread, "combination pliers" and "nose pliers" (see Google image search): they are available in any hardware shop or if you search for "pliers" on AliExpress. AliExpress has a bug, it finds more products when in incognito mode than when I'm logged in.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 November 2021, 09:34:44 by roooot »