Author Topic: Milwaukee, WI Meetup - June 3rd at Milwaukee Art Museum  (Read 17737 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Milwaukee, WI Meetup - June 3rd at Milwaukee Art Museum
« on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 09:09:19 »
Date and venue have been selected!  Please fill out the RSVP Form if you haven't done so.  :)

Date: Sunday, June 3rd
Time: 12:00-4:00pm
Location: Milwaukee Art Museum, 700 N Art Museum Dr, Milwaukee, WI 53202
Room: We will be in the Quadracci Suite, which is a meeting room to the right (south) as you enter the front doors, on the second level (stairs or elevator to access)
Parking: The museum offers parking in the underground garage for $8, otherwise there will be somewhat nearby street parking if you prefer
Food: We are not allowed to bring in outside catered food (snacks and water bottles allowed of course), but there is a cafe downstairs that can serve some food on an individual basis if desired

Cost: The meetup will not have a cover fee or other required payment, but I did book the venue out of pocket, so any help funding the event would be greatly appreciated!  (Edit: Please send whatever you feel comfortable contributing to my PayPal - the venue cost me $400, so any little bit to help would be appreciated, thanks :)If any vendors would like to help sponsor the meetup, please let me know!

Update 5/31:

Getting excited for this!!   ;D

• Updated Discord link (shouldn't expire) - come say hi!  https://discord.gg/vx8hXVH
  • Running list of keyboards at the meetup (view only, please message me to add to the list)  Link
  • There will be a giveaway during the event!!  Thank you so much to switchsmith.co for donating some cables/sleeves (more info to come once the package arrives) and to /u/Tchrspest for donating some artisan caps for the giveaway!
As was mentioned a few posts ago, we're right around 40 RSVPs, which should be a great turnout.  :) 

I have received some donations so far (thank you to all who have contributed! :-* ), and anything else that people are willing to contribute would be very much appreciated.  I won't be able to cover the cost of all of these meetups going forward, so will have to lean on you guys for the next one or we'll need to think about other venues (tough to find cool/interesting venues for affordable rates (or even uncool venues, for that matter), this was the best one I managed to find).  So do please let me know what you think of the venue - I think this is a really nice place and worth the cost, but I'd like to hear everyone's opinions as we move forward.

Other housekeeping items:
I will have hand sanitizer at the tables
There will be name tags and note cards for labeling people and keyboards
Anything else you'd like to see at the event??

Sneak peak at the space:

192170-0
192172-1

Old info:
More
Anyone in the SE WI (and Chicago) area interested in a meetup in Milwaukee?  I'd like to put something together for sometime this spring/summer.

I don't see a lot of active people from the area on here, so if you are speak up!  ^-^

Edit: Please fill out the google form here if interested in the meetup :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 May 2018, 13:31:53 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline graefeln

Re: Milwaukee, WI Meetup IC
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 11:00:01 »
I'd be interested - could probably even drag a friend along.

Offline DJSwayde

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 13:14:03 »
I would be interested. We also have a Chicago meetup on 4/14.
Mains: Bakers CL64 (silver)   |   CannonKeys Bakeneko60 (black)   |   Carolina Mech Palmetto (black)   |   LSJ Ares (silver)   |   LZ CLS h (silver)   |   Monokei Kei R1 (standard red, HHKB)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 1 (PD-KB300BN)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (PD-KB400B)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (PD-KB400WS)   |   SINGAKBD x TGR Unikorn R1 (black)   |   Weaston GSKT-00 R1 (gray [re-anodized silver, HHKB])   |   Weaston GSKT-00-Z (silver, AEK HHKB)

Alps: Apple Extended Keyboard II (M3501, Taiwanese)   |   Apple Standard Keyboard (M0116, US)   |   Dell AT101 (GYI3PVAT101, US)    |   IBM Multistation 5556-001 (Chinese)   |   IBM P70 (ANSI-US, 06-89)   |   MET Micro Officer 6000 (R315-00)   |   SGI AT-101 "Beige"   |   Zenith Data Systems TurbosPORT 386
Cherry: G80-3000LPCXY-2 #1   |   G80-3000LPCXY-2 #2   |   G80-3485LWNUS #1 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G80-3485LWNUS #2 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G81-1281SAW (Zenith Data Systems)   |   G81-3000SAT   |   G81-3090SAQ (Schneider)   |   G81-3100SEBUS
Topre: PFU Limited HHKB Blank (charcoal [PD-KB300BN])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (charcoal [PD-KB400B])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (gray [PD-KB400WS])   |   Realforce 91UDK-G (NG02B0)   |   Realforce 103UB (SE42B0)   |   Realforce Taiwanese kit (dark gray)   |   Sony BKE-9400A   |   Sony MKS-8050

Collection

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 13:54:42 »

Thanks for the interest!  :)  I added a google form to the OP if you two wouldn't mind filling it out.  :thumb: 

And sadly I will be at the Midwest Gaming Classic up in Milwaukee on the day of that Chicago meetup, DJSwayde.  :|

Offline DJSwayde

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 13:57:17 »

Thanks for the interest!  :)  I added a google form to the OP if you two wouldn't mind filling it out.  :thumb: 

And sadly I will be at the Midwest Gaming Classic up in Milwaukee on the day of that Chicago meetup, DJSwayde.  :|
Aw nuts, it was originally supposed to be on 4/21, but there were issues booking the venue for that date. :(

Oh well, Milwaukee is only about an hour or so away, I wouldn't mind making a quick trip up there for a meetup.
Mains: Bakers CL64 (silver)   |   CannonKeys Bakeneko60 (black)   |   Carolina Mech Palmetto (black)   |   LSJ Ares (silver)   |   LZ CLS h (silver)   |   Monokei Kei R1 (standard red, HHKB)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 1 (PD-KB300BN)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (PD-KB400B)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (PD-KB400WS)   |   SINGAKBD x TGR Unikorn R1 (black)   |   Weaston GSKT-00 R1 (gray [re-anodized silver, HHKB])   |   Weaston GSKT-00-Z (silver, AEK HHKB)

Alps: Apple Extended Keyboard II (M3501, Taiwanese)   |   Apple Standard Keyboard (M0116, US)   |   Dell AT101 (GYI3PVAT101, US)    |   IBM Multistation 5556-001 (Chinese)   |   IBM P70 (ANSI-US, 06-89)   |   MET Micro Officer 6000 (R315-00)   |   SGI AT-101 "Beige"   |   Zenith Data Systems TurbosPORT 386
Cherry: G80-3000LPCXY-2 #1   |   G80-3000LPCXY-2 #2   |   G80-3485LWNUS #1 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G80-3485LWNUS #2 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G81-1281SAW (Zenith Data Systems)   |   G81-3000SAT   |   G81-3090SAQ (Schneider)   |   G81-3100SEBUS
Topre: PFU Limited HHKB Blank (charcoal [PD-KB300BN])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (charcoal [PD-KB400B])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (gray [PD-KB400WS])   |   Realforce 91UDK-G (NG02B0)   |   Realforce 103UB (SE42B0)   |   Realforce Taiwanese kit (dark gray)   |   Sony BKE-9400A   |   Sony MKS-8050

Collection

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 13:59:58 »
Aw nuts, it was originally supposed to be on 4/21, but there were issues booking the venue for that date. :(

Oh well, Milwaukee is only about an hour or so away, I wouldn't mind making a quick trip up there for a meetup.

Ah dang, that date totally would have worked for me too.  Hopefully there will be another one soon enough.  :) 

And yeah, thankfully we're close enough for that.  I was worried about potential overlap with the two cities, but I figure it's worth a shot either way to see what comes of it.  :D 

Offline graefeln

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 14:06:23 »
Filled out the form.

Hoping to make it to the Chicago meet as well, but either way, Milwaukee is closer...

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 February 2018, 16:28:24 »
For sure in for a Milwaukee meetup pretty much anytime
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 11:52:53 »
I'd be down for a MKE meetup later this year. I plan on going to the CHI meetup in April.
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 16:03:15 »
Loving seeing this new meetup forum (man, I've been so out of the loop!).  I'm interested in both the Chicago and MKE events, but couldn't find a thread about the Chicago one and can't fill out the form above for some reason.

And DJSwayde, if a venue for Chicago is still an issue (couldn't find the meetup thread), my apartment complex has a resident lounge that is almost empty all the time.  I'm sure it might get used more on a spring weekend as it's right by the pool.  It is also reserveable for private parties, but that's $75 I believe.

It has a nice big glass table that would be really nice with a bunch of keyboards on it.  There's also 3 other seating areas so probably could hold 40+ people and at least 30 full-size keyboards.

HoffmanMyster, Midwest Gaming sounds like a blast!  I can't believe it's going to be in what was once my back yard.  Too bad it's on a weekend that I might be out of town or I'd probably drive down to check it out.

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 11:27:18 »
I'd be down. I'd like to go to the Chicago meet up as well but unfortunately I'll be out of country then.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
Re: Milwaukee, WI Meetup (Date/Venue Selected)
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 11:28:28 »
OP is updated with relevant information!  Come join us Sunday, June 3rd for a meetup at the Milwaukee Art Museum!  :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
Re: Milwaukee, WI Meetup - June 3rd at Milwaukee Art Museum
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 12:50:25 »
Sorry for the quick bump, but I just added an RSVP form for any attendees to fill out.  :thumb:

Edit: Also added an edit with a paypal.me link to contribute if you're interested - thanks in advance to anyone that helps out!  :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 09:51:58 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 07:24:54 »
Was just in MKE over the weekend.  That's going to be one AWESOME meetup.  Will the television be available as shown in the picture?  If so, maybe someone wants to bring along a slideshow of a previous KeyCon presentation or pictures.

Usually my wife's plans on Sunday trump any of mine, but if I can come I'll see if I can't bring a couple of Model Ms and a few old laptops for people to try them out on.  Also, will there be Internet access?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 16:38:05 »
Was just in MKE over the weekend.  That's going to be one AWESOME meetup.  Will the television be available as shown in the picture?  If so, maybe someone wants to bring along a slideshow of a previous KeyCon presentation or pictures.

Usually my wife's plans on Sunday trump any of mine, but if I can come I'll see if I can't bring a couple of Model Ms and a few old laptops for people to try them out on.  Also, will there be Internet access?

I sure hope you'll be able to make it!  Would be nice to meet you finally.  :) 

I believe the TV will cost $40 to rent, according to the document they sent me.  IMO maybe not worth it, but if someone wants to display some images then we can consider it.  I'd almost just as soon bring my own 32" TV though.  :))  There is free public internet access; we can also pay more for some better quality internet (if we want to stream the event, for example), but again I've opted to pass on that for now.  If/as these meetups gain popularity I may reconsider.  :thumb:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 20:31:33 »

I sure hope you'll be able to make it!  Would be nice to meet you finally.  :) 

I believe the TV will cost $40 to rent, according to the document they sent me.  IMO maybe not worth it, but if someone wants to display some images then we can consider it.  I'd almost just as soon bring my own 32" TV though.  :))  There is free public internet access; we can also pay more for some better quality internet (if we want to stream the event, for example), but again I've opted to pass on that for now.  If/as these meetups gain popularity I may reconsider.  :thumb:
I know!  :thumb:

After reading the cost of the TV, I was thinking the same thing about bringing something of our own.  If I could get over to MKE early that day, I definitely wouldn't mind helping you lug your TV there.  But if we have Internet and someone can bring a laptop with a big enough screen, that may be good enough to set up a slideshow.  My laptops are tiny and very old (xp machines), so they probably would suck at the job.

That's awesome that we have Internet, even if not too fast.  I should be able to hook up my Ducky green, Unicomp M, and Model M, and people can try them out.  I still haven't been able to compare the greens to the Model Ms directly so this would be nice even for me.

If these meetups become popular in MKE (I sure hope they do), I'm sure we can find some super cool places for the meets that might be cheaper as well.  If I was still in our apartment by the lake, I so would have reserved the resident lounge and patio for us.  Our new place in Chicago (only 50min from MKE) has an even nicer one, so I'm down to host a Chicago meet as well.  :thumb:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 08:52:36 »
Only a little over a month away!  Yay!

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 00:32:03 »
Yes! Will be there!

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 09:10:16 »
The Chicago meetup had a discord server where people planned ahead what keyboards to bring and travel/parking etc.
Might be a good idea for this event as well.
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 09:41:32 »
The Chicago meetup had a discord server where people planned ahead what keyboards to bring and travel/parking etc.

When and where was the Chicago meetup?  I looked for information about it, but never found it. :(

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 10:07:38 »

When and where was the Chicago meetup?  I looked for information about it, but never found it. :(

I had no idea it was happening until a week before.
It was two Saturdays ago, I think.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 10:15:56 »

I had no idea it was happening until a week before.
It was two Saturdays ago, I think.
Bummer.  I would have really loved to attend it since that was right in my back yard. :(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 11:11:26 »

Good point.  I've created one (link), please join as desired!  :) 

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 22:27:07 »
Just 2 weeks away!!!   ;D :D :cool: :thumb:

I'll be coming from Deerfield, IL and if my cousin is off work, he'll probably come too.

I used to live right down the street from the venue, so if anyone wants to tag along headed down to the meetup, just name a spot!  (Iron Skillet near Kenosha is always a good one).  When coming into downtown I'm not sure what the exit is anymore because they were under construction, but you basically follow signs for 'lakefront'.  Lincoln Memorial Drive is what you want to get to as the Art Museum is pretty much where that street starts/ends.

Really looking forward to a fun day of keyboard fun. :D  I plan to bring the following as of now:
Older Razer with cherry blues
Ducky with cherry greens
Das with cherry blues
IBM Model M blue label?

Fun fact:  Did you know this venue has been in several movies, probably at least one of which you've seen?  Check out the list:
https://onmilwaukee.com/movies/articles/wisconsin-in-the-movies.html

(My personal memory has a recollection of a helicopter landing in Iron Man 2, but I find no reference to that online.  :confused:)

Offline soupymeatballs

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 10:11:13 »
Hope we have a good turn out!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 10:19:35 »
Weather should be great and the venue is super high-class for such a meet (thank you HoffmanMyster!!).  Be sure to send him a few bucks to offset the hefty cost of such a venue.  I plan to bring some cash in person. ;)

Wife has informed me that this falls on the same day as our friend's little adorable one's birthday---NOOOOO!!  I know they will schedule the birthday party later in the day/evening, so I'm going to wake up early and leave for the meet before she can stop me, hehe.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 10:19:44 »
Hope we have a good turn out!

On discord, he mentioned 30-40:
Quote from: HoffmanMyster
We’ve got upwards of 30-40 rsvped, so close to capacity actually! Pleasantly surprised, and hoping we don’t run into any issues with that haha.

Doesn't sound too bad.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 10:24:45 »
That's awesome!  Lots of keyboards and cool people--can't wait!  :cool:

Offline soupymeatballs

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 10:26:51 »
The discord invite further up in the thread is dead. Can someone make a new one?

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 10:36:32 »
Keyboard Collection:

More

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 13:27:26 »
EDIT: Disregard post
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 May 2018, 22:53:15 by packman86 »
Keyboard Collection:

More

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 22:50:01 »
Well, looks like I won't be as early for this as I wanted--wife has us spending the weekend in MN so I'll be driving down from there early Sunday morning hopefully still reaching by 11am.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 13:16:25 »
Getting excited for this!!   ;D

• Updated Discord link (shouldn't expire) - come say hi!  https://discord.gg/vx8hXVH
  • Running list of keyboards at the meetup (view only, please message me to add to the list)  Link
  • There will be a giveaway during the event!!  Thank you so much to switchsmith.co for donating some cables/sleeves (more info to come once the package arrives) and to /u/Tchrspest for donating some artisan caps for the giveaway!
As was mentioned a few posts ago, we're right around 40 RSVPs, which should be a great turnout.  :) 

I have received some donations so far (thank you to all who have contributed! :-* ), and anything else that people are willing to contribute would be very much appreciated.  I won't be able to cover the cost of all of these meetups going forward, so will have to lean on you guys for the next one or we'll need to think about other venues (tough to find cool/interesting venues for affordable rates (or even uncool venues, for that matter), this was the best one I managed to find).  So do please let me know what you think of the venue - I think this is a really nice place and worth the cost, but I'd like to hear everyone's opinions as we move forward.

Other housekeeping items:
I will have hand sanitizer at the tables
There will be name tags and note cards for labeling people and keyboards
Anything else you'd like to see at the event??
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 May 2018, 13:34:45 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:31:08 »
BIG THANK YOU to the Hoff for making this happen!  I so stoked as well.

PMing you with my list of keyboards I'm bringing--I can't wait to try some of the others being brought!  :cool:

Someone bring a nice camera and I'll be happy to shoot the event--I won't have any of my cameras with me unfortunately.

How much space will each person get for their setup? 

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:45:29 »
One thing I think we should have a physical sign up sheet so the contact info for everyone that attended can be used to send out invites for the next one.  Columns on the sign up sheet I would think would be--Name (req), street address, communities frequented, community name(s), email (req), cell number, # boards brought today, how found out about meet.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 13:40:44 »
Meetup is in full swing!!

196996-0

196998-1

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 19:02:53 »
Some ****ty photos I took.

https://imgur.com/a/JMFCNgf

Keyboard Collection:

More

Offline graefeln

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 12:56:55 »
Meetup is in full swing!!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Sweet!  Me and my setup made pics!  ;D

Hope everyone that tried out the real-time typing comparison test enjoyed it.  I didn't have a single 6-10 port usb hub to chaining all those together with multiple ps2 adapters was a bit of a challenge.

It was really great to meet and talk to everyone!  Loved learning about fountain pens, watches, talking about cars, learning about and feeling new un-named switches, feeling box royals and box navys, finally putting my fingers on an HHKB and the realforce sculpted caps (they feel like little hammocks for each of your fingers!), trying all sorts of custom layouts including some column based layouts, and of course, meeting the HoffmanMyster himself in person.  :thumb:

So much cool stuff there and lovely switches and boards!  Many of which now make me want to delve into the genre of tactile switches...so much for cherry greens being my endgame, lol.  I know, I know--there is no endgame.  :))

And the venue--breathtaking and so appropriate at the same time--our keyboard art in a museum that oozes art in the parking lot and elevator up to our room.  BIG thanks to HoffmanMyster for footing the bill for this up front--and such a nice venue is only about $10 per person so be sure to donate so he can recoup the costs.  :cool:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 12:58:34 »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 13:01:26 »
I, too, took ****ty photos.
Some of my favs from your set:

You also captured some great boards that I didn't even have a chance to see--so many were there!

Offline sexzual

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 00:04:45 »
any of you guys from around the fox cities?

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 12:07:39 »
any of you guys from around the fox cities?

Yup.  Green Bay. Work in Appleton.
Keyboard Collection:

More

Offline sexzual

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 14:34:36 »
nice, i'll send you a pm

Offline floatingskull

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:21:41 »
Are there photos of this meetup posted somewhere? I'm super interested in seeing the turnout and peoples various setups.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:35:31 »
Are there photos of this meetup posted somewhere? I'm super interested in seeing the turnout and peoples various setups.

Take a look a few posts up - packman86 and I each posted a link to some.