Author Topic: [IC] Affordable DIY PCB Kits for 4x4, Numpad, 4x12, and 5x12 Ortholinear Layouts  (Read 8984 times)

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
Since September last year we're working on Pro Micro PCB Kits with switch and bottom plates that support everything you'd need in a PCB, are stable even though it's a PCB made switch plate, and sleek enough to keep on your desk at all times.

We reached Revision 3 of the original idea with the prototype of Rev 3 on it's way and the first two tested successfully. We rather test and make sure everything is solid and working before trying to sell untested PCB designs. That said, we think they're ready for a IC and GB.

More

It started with the Baguette, a 4x12 Ortholinear - then in November we moved on to make the same possible without losing stability on a 5x12 Ortholinear and called it the Croissant. Last month we added a neat Numpad nicknamed the Bagel.

And today we added the Cookie as some people requested it here and via PM, it's a 4x4 MacroPad!

All four models PCBs and switch plates support MX and Alps switches, WS2812 RGB underglow per switch LEDs SMD and through hole components, and have a reset switch.

The Croissant, due to pin limits on the Pro Micro, has a tiny micro switch to switch between either LED or RGB underglow.

The bottom plates have aligment circles for 8mm 3M rubber feet (probably included) as well as M4 holes for the commonly sold alu feet (not included).

FAQ:

Which PCB color is this made of?
Currently we plan to use a clean and shiny Black because it looks really sleek no matter your age, switches or caps are used but in the IC form is a question about it in case you don't agree.

What's included?
Switch plate, PCB, and bottom plate made from PCB material and _all components_ needed to build it!

How much does this all cost?
Each kits will be under 30 USD (not 30 Euro) including all components (Pro Micro, Screws, Standoffs, etc.) - at least that's the plan and so far it looks good. All we want to do is finance our prototyping cost and maybe a few bucks to support the next GB.

Do I need to solder this all by myself?
Yes, you are responsible for the quality of the finished product! ;)

Will you also sell switches and keycaps?
Nope, not planned but there are awesome shops all over the place selling them for almost no shipping cost. If you want to know where to buy some, we'll include some links later on.

Where do you ship from?
Europe, depending on the amount of orders from the US also from a warehouse in Jacksonville, Florida via USPS.

When will the GB deliver?
Depends really on the part delivery. From what we know from the prototypes it should all happen within 4 weeks after the GB closes. GB Should be 2-4 weeks and we will start ordering before the GB closes. This IC will run for a week, GB will follow a week after the IC. So 10 weeks from now you should have it, if all works out - which is end of March.

Wait, so does this come with a case?
Nope, but it comes with a switch plate and a bottom plate made from the same PCB material which are sandwiched together with standoffs/spacers and screws.

P.S.: I will update this in a bit with photos of our prototypes! Meanwhile here are videos and pics of the first revision in planned color (but with M2.5 screw holes - was changed to M2):
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc4yZImjld1/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcZiZtgBYjo/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcZmxqPhkQ7/

Edit: The Donut was renamed to The Bagel because Donut Cables claims "DonutPad", apparently it was in the making and I guess since it's an IC we can be friendly about this. So the new PCBs will have BAGEL on it, same symbol.

Edit: We added the Cookie, a 4x4 macro board!
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2018, 16:45:53 by homerowco »

Offline FailureToLoad

Oh my god finally, 4x4 pads. Every family friend and acquaintance I've built a board for has asked for a numpad and its always a trial and a half finding custom parts that don't run crazy high. Its been my sole motivation in learning to handwire.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
How many of the LEDs are available to use as indicators separate from the backlight on the bagel?

Would be great if the top four could do this to show what layer it's on, I'm thinking of it doubling up as a macro/shortcut pad with layers for different programs.

Edit: a whole weekend with no reply to a simple question?  Not looking good for progress updates should this get to GB...
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 January 2018, 04:13:30 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ZayaCaps

• Instagram
A 4x4 kits for under $30? Sign me up  :)

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
A 4x4 kits for under $30? Sign me up  :)

Might actually be less for the 4x4 - we shall see how pricing pans out once we have GB numbers :)

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
How many of the LEDs are available to use as indicators separate from the backlight on the bagel?

Would be great if the top four could do this to show what layer it's on, I'm thinking of it doubling up as a macro/shortcut pad with layers for different programs.

Edit: a whole weekend with no reply to a simple question?  Not looking good for progress updates should this get to GB...

Hey! Sorry, we're busy trying to get production from China to EU soil :)

Turns out to be a bit more extreme to do then we thought... anyway, I didn't do the PCBs so I don't know for sure, Maarten designed them all. BUT, the switch LEDs are obviously all triggered at the same time (on/off/dim) as with any other keyboard PCB that isn't per switch RGB LED - the RGB LEDs _under_ the PCB can be controlled however you want. It's a Pro Micro so you can use any Atmega compatible firmware. :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator

Turns out to be a bit more extreme to do then we thought... anyway, I didn't do the PCBs so I don't know for sure, Maarten designed them all. BUT, the switch LEDs are obviously all triggered at the same time (on/off/dim) as with any other keyboard PCB that isn't per switch RGB LED - the RGB LEDs _under_ the PCB can be controlled however you want. It's a Pro Micro so you can use any Atmega compatible firmware. :)
Sounds like some trace cutting will be required then :))

Very surprised there isn't at least one switch LED wired up to act as a num lock though, that's quite an important feature when using a number pad with a board that lacks one.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline azachhh

;D ;D ;D sign me up

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co

Sounds like some trace cutting will be required then :))

Very surprised there isn't at least one switch LED wired up to act as a num lock though, that's quite an important feature when using a number pad with a board that lacks one.

Good point, I mean we could still change it... the Numpad for sure doesnt use all pins :)

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
GL with all of these Keebs. Unbeatable price for all the function you get and great designs overall!
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 February 2018, 20:09:54 by Koobaczech »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator

Good point, I mean we could still change it... the Numpad for sure doesnt use all pins :)

Are you using the PWM pins for the LEDs or doing brightness in software?

If software it would be great if the top 4 (on the Bagel) and the traditional number lock key's LEDs were on a pin each, the firmware could default to all on as that's how it's advertised but the option is there.

If you're using pins adding indicators would mean losing full backlighting (R G B and switches use all 4 pins) so it won't be an option...
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 February 2018, 03:37:26 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co

Are you using the PWM pins for the LEDs or doing brightness in software?

If software it would be great if the top 4 (on the Bagel) and the traditional number lock key's LEDs were on a pin each, the firmware could default to all on as that's how it's advertised but the option is there.

If you're using pins adding indicators would mean losing full backlighting (R G B and switches use all 4 pins) so it won't be an option...

On the Baguette its not possible to do while keeping all other functions, on the Croissant we have a switch to go back and forth in between the modes RGB and switch LED pins because we have not enough pins already, which you technically could also bridge with solder. On the numpad and the macropad we would have enough pins available. Maarten said the numlock will be changed in the way you want it cause it makes sense ;)

Offline punkpc

Super excited for these! I plan to pick up all 4.

Will you be offer a combined shipping option?

Also saw on your Instagram that you might be making a switch ruler.

188934-0

Will that be an option to add as well?

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
Super excited for these! I plan to pick up all 4.
Will you be offer a combined shipping option?

Yep! It's gonna be cheap too - the GB is taking a bit longer because I'm researching into fulfillment here because I also need that for my actual company. Shipping prices are incredible cheap if they are what they told me so far.

Also saw on your Instagram that you might be making a switch ruler.
Will that be an option to add as well?

If we can add it without any additional cost, as it looks right now, it would be free with the order :)

It's not a big deal, those things cost like $0.5 to produce... and add zero cost on top of the whole board. ;)

Offline Visionaire

Looking forward to these!

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
This IC makes me hungry.

Offline Visionaire

This IC makes me hungry.

I do not suggest eating these PCBs.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
Can't wait for the GB to open. Would also love a switch ruler for the novely as well...

Offline azulyf

Any update on this? Still waiting for the Cookies.

Offline azulyf

Found the prototype on instagram and they look great. Any update on GB timeline?

Offline rockydbull

Found the prototype on instagram and they look great. Any update on GB timeline?

SOON (TM) has been the word for months now...

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
This has been months yes - sorry for no recent updates - there were some issues that we didn't like with the PCB, we solved that, we got new prototypes, and it's all much nicer now. Also business issues with selling PCBs under my existing company... Europe is a strange place... in the US I would just sell it, here it's a bit more complex or just not possible at all.

Anyway, Maarten already took some pics of the test builds a while ago and I'm about to build each part and film it and then have nice pictures taken for the GB.

Little teaser in potato quality with the wrong screws:

Offline punkpc

Any update on these?