Author Topic: HHKB inspired keyboard  (Read 5754 times)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
HHKB inspired keyboard
« on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:36:52 »
Hey everyone,

I have grown to enjoy my hhkb a lot, mainly due to the layout and the switches. My Realforce is even set up hhkb-style, with the control and the backspace changed. As I think about what kind of MX keyboard I would like, I have realized that there aren't that many out there that fit the description I am looking for. So I decided to remove the keys I barely use on the hhkb, and see what I could do. This is what I have come up with so far!

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/b1ff4d682ffb05a44e96

Let me know your thoughts. :)

Update #1:

Newer design, a bit more aesthetically pleasing. Using a short right shift key as FN

Update #2:

Added symmetry
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 January 2016, 00:13:24 by byker »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
Re: HHKB inspired keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:38:11 »
I definitely like the layout!

I personally think the Fn key should be the same area as HHKB just for consistency but overall the added arrow cluster is a huge bonus <3

I'm actually having fun on this site! Thanks for that :P

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:39:47 »
You know I love the idea and totally agree with you but...that right side.  :p  My OCD still can't take it.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:40:37 »
I definitely like the layout!

I personally think the Fn key should be the same area as HHKB just for consistency but overall the added arrow cluster is a huge bonus <3

I'm actually having fun on this site! Thanks for that :P

That is true. I tried to keep most of the key locations consistent with the hhkb to allow easy switching between the two. The FN is the only one I might miss-hit.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:43:22 »
I'd be tempted to use a short right shift instead of the FN and just map it as FN.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:45:48 »
I'd be tempted to use a short right shift instead of the FN and just map it as FN.

That would like nice too actually! Would solve the problem of having FN in the wrong position too.

Using the short right shift key as FN
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:50:04 by byker »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:47:21 »
That is true. I tried to keep most of the key locations consistent with the hhkb to allow easy switching between the two. The FN is the only one I might miss-hit.

Hmm ~ this is a great layout to work with though ~ Things can be moved around a lil' and everything turns out interesting.

Hmmm ~ that ain't a bad idea either (I like it, actually), but doesn't change the fact that Fn will still be in a different location from the HHKB.

I was playing around with 660C layout but it ended up just turning out to standard 65%, and then I would eventually probably just add a function row... ending up as 75% :)) :)) :))

My love for 75% is too obvious ^_^;;

That would like nice too actually! Would solve the problem of having FN in the wrong position too.

Show Image

I prefer this layout over the original. Then, like Sent said, use the right Shift as Fn.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:49:47 »

Show Image

This is something I could really get behind.

Hmmm ~ that ain't a bad idea either (I like it, actually), but doesn't change the fact that Fn will still be in a different location from the HHKB.

I was playing around with 660C layout but it ended up just turning out to standard 65%, and then I would eventually probably just add a function row... ending up as 75% :)) :)) :))

My love for 75% is too obvious ^_^;;

That was my issue, too.  Everything I tried just turned out to be run of the mill 65%. :(  Byker's got a pretty good handle on something I'd like, though.  This layout has all the keys I'd use in the positions I'd use 'em and nothing unnecessary (for me, anyways).

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 07:00:12 »
Awesome Layout, I like it!  :)

Except for the more HHKB like mapping, this reminds me a lot of KHAANNN's Alternative Arrowed 60% Layout .

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:42:55 »
Awesome Layout, I like it!  :)

Except for the more HHKB like mapping, this reminds me a lot of KHAANNN's Alternative Arrowed 60% Layout .

Show Image

Thats pretty funny, it is quite similar! I haven't actually seen that before. It is pretty similar though. Maybe I should copy his idea to make the bottom row symmetrical.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 14:18:19 »
People keep praising the HHKB and the swapping of Ctrl/Caps Lock. Where I usually hear this praise is from programmers, coders, and a lot of other people who deal primarily with computer work.
I don't deal primarily with computers. I do a lot of typing, but mostly creative and professional writing. How would the HHKB layout work for me? I have a 55g Realforce at work and couldn't be happier, but part of me really, really wants to try the HHKB Pro 2, mostly for layout, secondarily for the 45g Topre switches.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 15:01:20 »
romevi, I'll post my impressions of the HHKB 2 Pro I recently acquired in the "HHKB Pro 2" love thread, partly as an answer to you, since it's probably more appropriate than this one.

Regarding the OPs design, I'm not sure I could live without a secondary modifier on the left side of the spacebar!
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 17:40:33 »
People keep praising the HHKB and the swapping of Ctrl/Caps Lock. Where I usually hear this praise is from programmers, coders, and a lot of other people who deal primarily with computer work.
I don't deal primarily with computers. I do a lot of typing, but mostly creative and professional writing. How would the HHKB layout work for me? I have a 55g Realforce at work and couldn't be happier, but part of me really, really wants to try the HHKB Pro 2, mostly for layout, secondarily for the 45g Topre switches.

I don't do that much programming or coding, mainly using my home pc for general entertainment use and typing school or work stuff. I love the hhkb layout for that, so I think you would get along fine with it. What you could do, is try the hhkb layout on your realforce. I have my realforce set up with ctrl on caps lock, and used autohotkey to put backspace on the \| key

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 17:41:19 »
romevi, I'll post my impressions of the HHKB 2 Pro I recently acquired in the "HHKB Pro 2" love thread, partly as an answer to you, since it's probably more appropriate than this one.

Regarding the OPs design, I'm not sure I could live without a secondary modifier on the left side of the spacebar!

That is fair. Personally, I don't use the secondary modifier on the left side, however I will play around with a new design tonight, making it symmetrical by adding a second modifier on the left.  :thumb:

Offline iss

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 19:00:38 »
I'm actually working on a board with a similar layout right now!

More info in a couple weeks :)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 00:13:05 »
I'm actually working on a board with a similar layout right now!

Show Image

More info in a couple weeks :)

Nice one. We have the same board then :p

Latest design due to people wanting symmetry

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 00:17:45 »
Although I am not a part of the HHKB cult, I'm a big fan of those arrow keys.  Closest to HHKB layout I've felt is pok3r. 
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 00:20:35 »
Nice one. We have the same board then :p

Latest design due to people wanting symmetry
Show Image

Boom.  Stick this in a nice case and call it a day.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 09:22:06 »
It's an interesting layout for sure. I personally just never like arrow keys on anything smaller than a 75% though.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 10:24:38 »
It's an interesting layout for sure. I personally just never like arrow keys on anything smaller than a 75% though.

Fair enough. I don't miss them most of the time, but sometimes I have to switch boards for things like Binding of Isaac, so it would be cool to get them on such a small board. :)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 10:40:28 »

Fair enough. I don't miss them most of the time, but sometimes I have to switch boards for things like Binding of Isaac, so it would be cool to get them on such a small board. :)
Oh of course. It's just in my usage, a fn layer is more than enough, but there are plenty of users that would benefit from having them, and this layout is just about perfect in that sense
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 13:37:32 »
Yes, the latest layout works for me. I'd probably remap the right windows key on the left side with the new key addition.

Changed my mind, I'll just post here.

The CTRL/Capslock switch lends itself well to pretty much anyone. With the CTRL key in it's traditional position, I actually activate it bottom (palm side) portion of the knuckle of my pinky finger. The backspace and \ swap is a smooth transition for the most part as well.

I recently got a used HHKB Pro 2 and RF23U combo. I've been using the HHKB solo though, and I find losing the dedicated arrow keys and delete button to be fairly rough, followed by page up/down. This is due to becoming used to modifying data and language quickly in combination with a mouse, and sometimes I'm lazy when browsing.

The lack of function keys has been rough in some games, while being completely irrelevant in others and in general (Windows) OS usage. The Pro JP would probably work better for me overall of the two HHKB layouts.

To me, the 45G Topre switches in the HHKB feel/sound different than the RF23U. On the HHKB, they feel more tactile and the sound is more distinct, probably a result of being case/"pcb" mounted as many have mentioned in the past. On the Realforce, the tactility is more subtle, and the sound subdued. To be honest, if the 87U 45G feels like this, I would call it Topre's "MX Brown" switch. This description has nothing to do with how the switch types compare, it's only used with reference to describing that the tactility is present, but subtle.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 14:34:33 »
Yes, the latest layout works for me. I'd probably remap the right windows key on the left side with the new key addition.

Changed my mind, I'll just post here.

The CTRL/Capslock switch lends itself well to pretty much anyone. With the CTRL key in it's traditional position, I actually activate it bottom (palm side) portion of the knuckle of my pinky finger. The backspace and \ swap is a smooth transition for the most part as well.

I recently got a used HHKB Pro 2 and RF23U combo. I've been using the HHKB solo though, and I find losing the dedicated arrow keys and delete button to be fairly rough, followed by page up/down. This is due to becoming used to modifying data and language quickly in combination with a mouse, and sometimes I'm lazy when browsing.

The lack of function keys has been rough in some games, while being completely irrelevant in others and in general (Windows) OS usage. The Pro JP would probably work better for me overall of the two HHKB layouts.

To me, the 45G Topre switches in the HHKB feel/sound different than the RF23U. On the HHKB, they feel more tactile and the sound is more distinct, probably a result of being case/"pcb" mounted as many have mentioned in the past. On the Realforce, the tactility is more subtle, and the sound subdued. To be honest, if the 87U 45G feels like this, I would call it Topre's "MX Brown" switch. This description has nothing to do with how the switch types compare, it's only used with reference to describing that the tactility is present, but subtle.

Oh, wow! Thanks so much!

Again, I feel like some of this layout is geared primarily to those who work in programming, coding, etc. I do most of my typing in word processors, and I'm very comfortable with the layouts, but sometimes I find myself cluttered with the unnecessary keys in the bottom row, or wondering if using the Backspace closer to Enter would be preferentially suitable.

I have an 87U, so I can swap the Ctrl and Caps Lock and see how that feels. I'm also interested in trying out the HHKB Pro 2 because of the 45g switches in the plastic case. The arrows I use a lot, but I can easily remedy that by getting an external numpad and using those arrows.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 14:51:14 »
I think if you're forced into using a numpad, you lose some of the appeal of the HHKB, unless some/all of the following is relevant:

1) You prefer the numpad on the left side
2) You will use the HHKB to travel, without the numpad, so potability is beneficial - the HHKB is so light and small!
3) You prefer how the switches feel in the HHKB to the RF.

The HHKB + RF23U sitting next to each other is actually longer than my Filco MJ2 TKL, but obviously the overall space taken is less (width). Compared to a 87U, it's probably even more significant.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 19:36:48 »
I'm a fan of this layout, even better if the board were to be programmable ;D

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 19:59:07 »
I'm a fan of this layout, even better if the board were to be programmable ;D

Thanks! Plans are in the making for a pcb - would be customizable of course  :D