Author Topic: [IC] The 62/60: a full-RGB, hot-swappable 60% [Moved to GB thread]  (Read 44661 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
with programmingz yes? what controller?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious

Typing these responses from board 1!

I would still prefer without sip sockets as soldering the switches are more secured to me.
Hope there will be an option to choose with/without sip sockets.

I may make this an option, although PCB mount switches are very stable and don't experience any wobble unless you press really, really hard.

Yes, that will be great!  ;)
Yea, I know pcb mount switch are quite firm. I think I'm just a little too concern/worry about switch being pull off together with keycaps if the stem is too tight sometimes.

If having the option to solder the switches can be offered, that may help some people to get in, which is good, but I think that departs from the main concept of the design: hot-swappability, after all, there are many other PCBs that are for soldering, but this maybe the only soon to be offered with this feature.

+1 would love to get an option for soldered / nonswappable switches.

I can see the appeal in both, but while basically having a giant switch tester is quite nice, swappable switches seem rather gimmicky to me personally.
Prefer the more permanent solution of straight soldering the switches, which would also be required to support standard 60% cases.

I also don't feel like it takes the main concept of the board away to be honest, cause to me the main features would be arrowed 60% layout and the rgb in a 60% which as far as I can tell hasn't been done before.

Would definitely be interested in getting one, doubly so if there's the possibility of alternative colours and solid, non-transparent, acrylic top and bottom plates (for those of us who don't care about the LEDs)

Also +1 to this!
Love the frosted acrylic, but a more subtle lookin black top (and eventually bottom) would be more suitable for a workspace environment for example.

A black top would probably still allow for clear switches to be illuminated, so rgb light won't be blocked but rather create a different and unique look in this case.

If this becomes an option I would be down for two boards (and one extra pcb) as well! :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
A summary of some of the requests that have been posted.

SUMMARY OF FEATURES AND REQUESTS:

1. Features already included:
1.1. A layout with arrows in a sixty format.
1.2. LEDs.
1.3. Programmability.
1.4. Hot swappability.

2. Requests that may not increase the cost:
2.1. Option for a PCB with no switch sockets soldered. (Is this feasible?)
2.2. Alternative colors for the acrylic plate and bottom.

3. Requests already considered
3.1. ISO Enter compatibility (Confirmed for round 1).
3.2. HHKB right shift option (Not confirmed yet?).

4. Requests that may not be feasible:
4.1. Extra bottom row options.

Something missing?

Offline Liam

Will the aluminum part of the case have more colors than just black?
IBM Model M - Leopold 750r - Custom Numpad

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious

A summary of some of the requests that have been posted.

SUMMARY OF FEATURES AND REQUESTS:

1.2. LEDs.
1.3. Programmability.
1.4. Hot swappability.

2.1. Option for a PCB with no switch sockets soldered. (Is this feasible?)
2.2. Alternative colors for the acrylic plate and bottom.

4.1. Extra bottom row options.

Something missing?

Lookin good ideus, thx for creating a summery!

Non swappable might require a sepperate pcb version, but would be necessary for case compability.

Also another idea that I'm not sure would be feasible or maybe even desirable for most people, but just to throw it out there:

I'm still waiting for the first board to include usb type c, which would make for reversible and in theory more durable connector.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
SUMMARY OF FEATURES AND REQUESTS Pending OP confirmation.
(Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the OP-Designer, I am just another interested person that put this together for the benefit of the followers of this awesome idea, in the hope that it may be of some help)

1.2. LEDs.
1.3. Programmability.
1.4. Hot swappability.

2.1. Alternative colors for the acrylic plate and bottom.

4.1. Extra bottom row options. (May this be moved to the next level?)

5. Request that may be implemented with additional cost / alternate design:
5.1 Option for a PCB with no switch sockets soldered. Alternative PCB with proper pass-through holes for soldering switches. (Pending OP confirmation).

Something missing?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Looks like the layout I was messing around with, but haven't had time to prototype: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78621.0

Looks great, and excited to see how it turns out!

Offline iss

Finally back from a long weekend trip to Boston. Just finished up case v1.1- if it works well, Round 0 lottery signups should be open this entire weekend and will be shipped in the following week or two. By the way, look out for reviews from livingspeedbump, LeandreN, and skiwithpete coming sometime this month.

If I understood well, this layout will be available in round one, correct?

Yep- just confirmed compatability for ISO Enter and Shift in KiCad, so it'll definitely be available.

Would definitely be interested in getting one, doubly so if there's the possibility of alternative colours and solid, non-transparent, acrylic top and bottom plates (for those of us who don't care about the LEDs)

Cases are pretty easy to customize. What colors would people want to see? I might end up just providing all available acrylic colors on the form for Round 1, maybe Round 0- MOQ would be 4 for any color. I do think that getting matte acrylic is optimal for the top and bottom, as it's much more scratch-resistant than regular, but if you're fine with that a lot more colors are avilable.

I don't know if you answered it or not but the LEDs are soldered in the bottom right? So switches like original Cherry have black case can't show the LEDs at all. I'm looking forward for this anyway. :p

Thank you.

Yep, they're surface mount. I actually don't have a set of Cherry switches right now- if someone's got 65 for testing, I'd gladly take a picture to show the effect.

I just popped in a Cherry switch to test it out- there's actually quite a bit of light that comes through the LED holes, and the LED sits right on the edge of the switch, so there's still light on the plate and it's quite nice. By the way- noticed that Cherry plate-mount is a lot more sturdy than Gateron plate-mount or even Gateron PCB-mount- anyone have insight as to why?

Which mcu are you using? Just super interested.

I also assume that that mounting holes are the same as the popular 60% boards? And the user can directly solder the switches rather than using the sip sockets?

Sweet project you got going here, and the price point is attractive. I'll be down to order a set!

ATmega32U4, as is typical. Mounting holes on the Round 0 (v1.0) PCBs are non-standard. I'm still waiting to see if the board will be compatible with currently available 60% cases- if you've got one, please tell me how deep the standoffs are- I'm very curious.

Very interested. I hope you ship to germany and that the shipping cost doesn't kill me.

Round 1 will definitely be shipping international. I'm not sure how popular Round 0 will be internationally since it lacks ISO support, but if someone gets in I'll still ship internationally.

Will the case has other color than black? I'm looking for Turquoise or something green.

See answer to wongie above. I couldn't find any turquoise acrylic in the right thickness, but something green might be available? No guarantees, sadly.

SUMMARY OF FEATURES AND REQUESTS Pending OP confirmation.
(Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the OP-Designer, I am just another interested person that put this together for the benefit of the followers of this awesome idea, in the hope that it may be of some help)

1.2. LEDs.
1.3. Programmability.
1.4. Hot swappability.

2.1. Alternative colors for the acrylic plate and bottom.

4.1. Extra bottom row options. (May this be moved to the next level?)

5. Request that may be implemented with additional cost / alternate design:
5.1 Option for a PCB with no switch sockets soldered. Alternative PCB with proper pass-through holes for soldering switches. (Pending OP confirmation).

Something missing?

Most of this is correct. A few things:

1. HHKB right shift is happening with two caveats: LEDs will be slightly off (they're in the original position) and those two switches will be upside down (which makes pretty much no difference).
2. Alternative colors, as mentioned above, will be available- MOQ of 4 for each, pick colors for top/middle/bottom. (Matte acrylic is recommended for the top and bottom pieces for diffusion and to protect against scratches- probably will be available in clear and black.)

ATmega32U4, programmable with EasyAVR (and QMK if there's enough interest).

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net

ATmega32U4, programmable with EasyAVR (and QMK if there's enough interest).
[/quote]

I would be interested in QMK/TMK compatibility. I'll be glad to pitch in and help if you get me the matrix info.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
I'm still waiting to see if the board will be compatible with currently available 60% cases- if you've got one, please tell me how deep the standoffs are- I'm very curious.

So the question is basically how tall the standoffs are and if there is enough room available for pcb components?

Just measured the standoffs on a pok3r case which are slanted ranging from 2.5mm (front) to 9mm clearance at the back.
I guess this is almost like a worst case scenario tho and expect flat case to provide around 4mm of clearance, would be nice if someone could actually provide exact numbers for a flat case.

I would personally love to see standard 60% mounts even if compatibility with all cases cant be guaranteed.  :thumb:

Offline Liam

Will the case has other color than black? I'm looking for Turquoise or something green.

See answer to wongie above. I couldn't find any turquoise acrylic in the right thickness, but something green might be available? No guarantees, sadly.

My question is about the middle plate of the case. Does it have other colors?

Offline kawasaki161

Any updates on the board or the progress of round 0?

Offline iss

Some other colors will be available, depending on what acrylic I can get at the right thickness. I'll be posting more detail on that closer to Round 1.

Round 0 should be posted sometime next week- I had originally planned to start it today, but the case is still being a bit wonky and needs a little more work.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Some other colors will be available, depending on what acrylic I can get at the right thickness. I'll be posting more detail on that closer to Round 1.

Round 0 should be posted sometime next week- I had originally planned to start it today, but the case is still being a bit wonky and needs a little more work.

I really want one, or maybe two units, of this keyboard, thank you very much for the update. It will be very nice to have the OP fully updated with all the final features and options when you have them confirmed and available. I do not know how the lottery for the round 0 may work, but in my case I should wait until ISO option is included.

Have a great weekend.

Offline wongie

Cases are pretty easy to customize. What colors would people want to see? I might end up just providing all available acrylic colors on the form for Round 1, maybe Round 0- MOQ would be 4 for any color. I do think that getting matte acrylic is optimal for the top and bottom, as it's much more scratch-resistant than regular, but if you're fine with that a lot more colors are avilable.

Personally I'd be happy with plain black or dark grey, just without a transparent top and bottom. I'm sure there are others who would like more vibrant colour options. Now that you mention it it would be even better if all layers were available in matte, as you say it's more scratch resistant, but equally I think a solid matte on all sides looks better than glossy.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Personally I'd be happy with plain black or dark grey, just without a transparent top and bottom. I'm sure there are others who would like more vibrant colour options. Now that you mention it it would be even better if all layers were available in matte, as you say it's more scratch resistant, but equally I think a solid matte on all sides looks better than glossy.

I'd like to see some of this colors and translucent ones for the middle separator, that may allow glow to get trough it and the top and bottom will have a very elegant look.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
This is actually a huge dream come true to me.

Been a big advocate of Khaannn's alternative arrowed 60% layout from the beginning (as some of you might know) and was already planning to risk sacrificing a rather high end pcb to build one.

So naturally an absolute must buy for me! :D

Is there any chance for supporting a 6.25 space and 1.25 mods bottom row?

This would be my absolute dream layout:
Show Image

Also the question still remains if this would fit standard 60% cases if you get a (preferably acrylic) plate cut by yourself?
I image since switches are swappable the pcb is standoff mounted, right?

+1, not bad, it has some advantages over the OP's proposal: it takes only standard modifiers, but the right shift that in any case would be the hard one to get, the standard space bar is also a plus for most of the users, just those boring old farts like me that prefer 7u and 1.5 mods would have to change, in any case, this layout would be the best one for most, even a TaiHao set can fit this, but the right shift, I suggest the OP to consider this at least as an alternative, if not as the base PCB. Ah, and the space bar look better centered, the slight asymmetry makes it even better, with more style.

Offline kawasaki161

Just remembered something mildly important:

Does the kit include stabilizers? If not do we need PCB or plate mount stabilizers?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
so stoked for this  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Khuya

Been a big advocate of Khaannn's alternative arrowed 60% layout from the beginning (as some of you might know) and was already planning to risk sacrificing a rather high end pcb to build one.

Show Image

Also the question still remains if this would fit standard 60% cases if you get a (preferably acrylic) plate cut by yourself?

+1, not bad, it has some advantages over the OP's proposal: it takes only standard modifiers, but the right shift that in any case would be the hard one to get, the standard space bar is also a plus for most of the users, just those boring old farts like me that prefer 7u and 1.5 mods would have to change, in any case, this layout would be the best one for most, even a TaiHao set can fit this, but the right shift, I suggest the OP to consider this at least as an alternative, if not as the base PCB. Ah, and the space bar look better centered, the slight asymmetry makes it even better, with more style.

For someone who uses Windows as a Operating System, I am not sure what's so popular about win key less approach?

Offline JDragon

Beautiful board. Hoping the issues with the case get worked out soon so I can throw my name into the lottery. I'm assuming there's going to be a ton of interest; $120 for this level of functionality and design is incredible.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Show Image

For someone who uses Windows as a Operating System, I am not sure what's so popular about win key less approach?

I know it could be confusing, but WKL refers to the size of the modifiers in 1.5u instead of the current 1.25u, not to the lack of a windows key, my board has a window key in 1u size.

Offline Liam

When will you go for round 0? So excited. My Zealios are ready :p

Offline iss

Round 0 will start this Friday (April 22nd) and run through the weekend! 12 boards will be available; winners will be chosen on Monday. Base price (PCB+case w/ plate) will be set at $125.

Does the kit include stabilizers? If not do we need PCB or plate mount stabilizers?

The board takes PCB mount Cherry stabs- currently working on sourcing them. They'll be $8-10, depending on how things go.

Offline kawasaki161

The board takes PCB mount Cherry stabs- currently working on sourcing them. They'll be $8-10, depending on how things go.

In the unlikely case that I am one of the lucky ones in round 0, how are the chances of you being able to source stabs before the boards are sent out? Also, how would international shipping work out (customs, shipping cost etc.)?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Round 0 will start this Friday (April 22nd) and run through the weekend! 12 boards will be available; winners will be chosen on Monday. Base price (PCB+case w/ plate) will be set at $125.

They will sell as pancakes.

Offline laughatpain

Will there any difference between round 0 and round 1?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Will there any difference between round 0 and round 1?

ISO compatibility and improved fit in standard sixty cases, this however may be limited by the case depth that should allow enough room for the bottom PCB components.

Offline Liam

Will the case have other color choices or just the original one?

Offline JDragon

Hype!

Offline biocalves

Been waiting for this. C'mon Round 0!

Offline iss

Re: [IC] The 62/60: a full-RGB, hot-swappable 60% [Round 0: Open! $125]
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 17:27:51 »
Round 0 is open!

MOD Edit: GB link removed
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 April 2016, 10:07:25 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline JDragon

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 17:33:31 »
Round 0 is open!

http://goo.gl/forms/EHFGjPbZzN

Yay! Submitted my entry, good luck to me ;D

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 17:47:24 »
Aaaand submitted. I highly doubt I'll be drawn tbh. RNGsus was never good with me.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 18:28:18 »
Entered!

Any clue on the pricing for round1 just in case RNGesus is not nice to me this time?

Oh and how do I change my sig to support this IC?

Offline Tre3Cycl3S

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 19:56:06 »
Entered! Hopefully RNG-sus loves me and bless me for this draw!

But I will probably just get it in Round1 if I don't get it in Round0  ;)
QFR           HHKB Pro-2     JD45         VE.A                    XMIT 61-Key       JD40 Mk.II                    Realforce 87U     M65-A                 Custom:Annie      NightFox      Pearl                  E6-V2 R2                          Norbaforce
MX Blue     45g Topre        MX Blue     R5 67g Zealios     50g Hall Effect     Modded Gateron Red     55g Topre           R5 78g Zealios     62g Ergo Grey     Hako True     R9 62g Zilent     Lubed Holy Trash Panda     OG Sony BKE Domes

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 20:20:33 »
What does "partial priority" for round 1 mean?

Offline iss

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 20:27:07 »
What does "partial priority" for round 1 mean?

One-third of the Round 1 boards will be reserved for those who didn't make it in during Round 0. (One-third felt like a good compromise: it significantly boosts the chances of those who enter during Round 0 while still making a good number of boards available for everyone.) I'm not sure how big Round 1 will be at this point.

Entered!

Any clue on the pricing for round1 just in case RNGesus is not nice to me this time?

Oh and how do I change my sig to support this IC?

Round 1 pricing will be the same, assuming everything goes smoothly. I'll get a sig banner up shortly- thanks for reminding me.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 20:32:27 »
The only reason I did not get into this draw for round zero is that I really need ISO support, I just hope I can get in round 1.

Offline GiveCandyy

[IC] The 62/60: a full-RGB, hot-swappable 60% [Round 0: Open! $125]
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 21:38:54 »
Entered looks very promising.

« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2016, 22:55:16 by GiveCandyy »
I wish it wasn't soon

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 05:42:19 »
Love it! The price is very reasonable and the board looks great; best of luck with the production! :)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 10:06:54 »
Group Buys are to be held in the Group Buy subforum.  Please create a new thread and the mod team will review it for approval.

Sorry for the trouble to anyone that has filled out the form. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 10:30:59 »
Keep everything in order is always important, thank you for being watching, it is in the best interest of all.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 11:56:16 »
Sorry for the trouble to anyone that has filled out the form.

I don't quite get that. The same form was also posted on reddit, so why would the form being removed here make any difference for the ones that already filled it out?

Offline iss

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 12:00:56 »
GB thread is up! If you signed up earlier, you do not need to sign up again. Big thanks to ghost for sorting this out quickly.