Author Topic: Filco costar stabelizers problems with cherry profile key caps?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Filco costar stabelizers problems with cherry profile key caps?
« on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 16:09:45 »
So i got a Filco majestouch 2 with a tex case with costar stabilizers. Every key fits like a glove but the space gets stuck on the stabilizer wire i assume because it doesn't got all the way down  because the space bar is to thick and makes a horrible rattle noise. I put JTK keycaps on it or do i need a different thinner space bar or mod it to use cherry plate mount stabs? Or do i have to mod the space bar what i rather not do. I didn't have any problem with my older filco so far i remember this is very disappointing to have.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 January 2019, 16:13:50 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
Re: Filco costar stabelizers problems with cherry profile key caps?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 16:18:34 »
Afaik the costar stabilizers can and do have problems with cherry profile keycaps. I've noticed it especially with GMK keycap sets. I've seen some people sand down the inside of their keycaps to fix this issue but that is probably not the best idea tbh, it seems like it takes a LOT of sanding to get it to not happen.

I have the same setup, filco mj2 in tex case, and it is starting to drive me nuts. All the stabilized keys are having big issues with GMK caps (not so much with the enjoypbt cherry profile caps I used before it seemed)

At this point I am just trying to see if I can't find the files for a replacement plate for the filco mj2 such as this:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36907.0

Would be able to swap the board out to cherry stabilizers with that plate and not have to deal with this issue, but I think my chances of finding those files are pretty low.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 12:50:59 »
Afaik the costar stabilizers can and do have problems with cherry profile keycaps. I've noticed it especially with GMK keycap sets. I've seen some people sand down the inside of their keycaps to fix this issue but that is probably not the best idea tbh, it seems like it takes a LOT of sanding to get it to not happen.

I have the same setup, filco mj2 in tex case, and it is starting to drive me nuts. All the stabilized keys are having big issues with GMK caps (not so much with the enjoypbt cherry profile caps I used before it seemed)

At this point I am just trying to see if I can't find the files for a replacement plate for the filco mj2 such as this:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36907.0

Would be able to swap the board out to cherry stabilizers with that plate and not have to deal with this issue, but I think my chances of finding those files are pretty low.

Oof i guess the less destructive way is to find a thin cherry profile space bar.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 13:33:29 »
Yeah it's a known issue where the stabilizer wire grinds the front lip (side closer to you) of the keycaps.

In general cherry stabilizer work a lot better for GMK caps.

All this years I've been hoping that costar can update their stabilizer wire to accommodate that but hasn't happened yet.  :(

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden