Author Topic: MOD Linear Switches  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Harms

MOD Linear Switches
« on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 22:16:10 »
I was on Originative's website browsing and saw this. I was surprised and never knew they made a MOD Linear switch. Apparently they are pre-lubed and they use the same code names/color stems as their tactile variants.

https://www.originativeco.com/collections/vendors?q=Originative

The link sends you to the products page where you can still find them. So here is a picture of the page:

http://imgur.com/Nzii9cJ
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2017, 22:20:56 by Harms »

Offline robbles

Re: MOD Linear Switches
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 23:08:42 »
I got some MOD-M tactile to go with my Exent. Had no idea they made linear. I'm on my last leg giving MX tactile switches a try. None have really satisfied me. As I've stated in other threads, gonna try MX linears next. There's been a lot of talk about thick lubed Gateron Blacks but I might try MOD-M linear instead.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 08:13:24 »
I got some MOD-M tactile to go with my Exent. Had no idea they made linear. I'm on my last leg giving MX tactile switches a try. None have really satisfied me. As I've stated in other threads, gonna try MX linears next. There's been a lot of talk about thick lubed Gateron Blacks but I might try MOD-M linear instead.

I'd just go with gateron linears. Stock they're very smooth, and when lubed they make butter feel like sandpaper. You're not going to beat them.
keyboards.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 12:21:58 »
Have you tried zealios yet? I've had a hard time finding anything better.  Building some ergo clears now to see how they stack up

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline robbles

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 12:45:46 »
Have you tried zealios yet? I've had a hard time finding anything better.  Building some ergo clears now to see how they stack up

I had a custom with 67g Zealios and couldn't get over how wobbly they were. Something about the tactile bump was also off putting to me personally. I know it is a beloved switch, and this is just a matter of personal taste. It must be the way that MX achieves tactility that I am not a fan of. It feels very artificial and unnecessary to me. Gonna try the MOD-M's because they've been compared to being the closest thing to 45g Topre, which is my favorite switch.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 13:12:30 »

I'm using some gateron tactile clears and they are less wobbly than r2 zealios. I think the recent zealios drop has made significant improvements to the stability of the stem. I too want to give linears a try. I have some vintage blacks and they are smooth but, a little too heavy for me. Might need to swap some springs.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 13:20:23 »

I had a custom with 67g Zealios and couldn't get over how wobbly they were. Something about the tactile bump was also off putting to me personally. I know it is a beloved switch, and this is just a matter of personal taste. It must be the way that MX achieves tactility that I am not a fan of. It feels very artificial and unnecessary to me. Gonna try the MOD-M's because they've been compared to being the closest thing to 45g Topre, which is my favorite switch.
I hear ya and yea switches are all preference.  Good luck with your search!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 13:31:39 »
New zealios are less wobbly than MODs. MODs are new wobble king. The bump is slightly bigger than zeals, but honestly it's just a fraction further up and doesn't feel like topre much at all. Feels like an MX tactile just like the rest
keyboards.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 15:16:15 »
What's wrong with springswapping MX blacks?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline cribbit

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 16:49:26 »

Personally, I don't like the chance of damage (even if nothing breaks, increased wobble), insane time spend or having to be super careful to not mix up which switches I swapped yet.

It's much easier for me to buy switches that are already the weight etc that I want.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 16:59:36 »

I just made some ergo clears, got three blisters, was it worth saving ~$50? Yes, yes it was.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 17:02:48 »

I just made some ergo clears, got three blisters, was it worth saving ~$50? Yes, yes it was.
After 3 zeal boards Ive been making ergo clears for the past 3 days... let's hope it's worth

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 17:04:41 »

After 3 zeal boards Ive been making ergo clears for the past 3 days... let's hope it's worth

It's tedious but I find it slightly relaxing to do while just watching tv.