Author Topic: Why no MX sliders?  (Read 61900 times)

Offline bcredbottle

Why no MX sliders?
« on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 15:53:10 »
I never understood why Matias switches didn't come with MX sliders. The top peg from the MX slider could easily fit through the same hole in the housing found on ALPS switches. It would also increase the demand for Matias switches and boards that use them. So why don't Matias switches have MX-compatible sliders?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Why no MX sliders?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 15:59:53 »
The switch stem fits, the cap stem doesn't, at least not comfortably and without the chance of catching.  It's just too tight of a fit.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 15:38:50 »
Because the popular option isn't always the best one.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 17:55:27 »
Because the popular option isn't always the best one.

If you could make a slider with an MX-compatible stem, what would be the problem with that? How is it better to have the square stem? It doesn't affect the function of the switch in any way, just what keycaps would fit on it. You haven't given any reason why, if doable, it would be a bad option.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 20:22:37 »
Again, it doesn't fit.  Crappy shot of Alps housing and MX cap:

The cap stem won't fit through the housing.  If you replaced the Alps stem that grips the cap with an MX cruciform, the switch wouldn't be able to activate since it wouldn't be able to be depressed.  The only way to do it is to redesign the slider and housing or to make an awkwardly tall slider.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 June 2015, 20:24:37 by nubbinator »

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 20:44:10 »
Again, it doesn't fit.  Crappy shot of Alps housing and MX cap:

Show Image

The cap stem won't fit through the housing.  If you replaced the Alps stem that grips the cap with an MX cruciform, the switch wouldn't be able to activate since it wouldn't be able to be depressed.  The only way to do it is to redesign the slider and housing or to make an awkwardly tall slider.

Yes, but I wasn't responding to the impossibility. I was responding to the genius who said "the popular option isn't always the best one," which is irrelevant at best.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 05:13:53 »
If you could make a slider with an MX-compatible stem, what would be the problem with that? How is it better to have the square stem? It doesn't affect the function of the switch in any way, just what keycaps would fit on it. You haven't given any reason why, if doable, it would be a bad option.

http://imgur.com/a/2cD0H#pEOaeqS

Usually happens to Clears and sometimes Browns, but the album above shows Blues. The only mounting that is pull-proof is Topre, but good luck implementing that on an Alps-style switch.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS