Author Topic: Wireless keyboard suggestions please...  (Read 3548 times)

Offline bug2k23

Wireless keyboard suggestions please...
« on: Fri, 24 March 2023, 15:20:18 »
I'm looking for a wireless TKL UK ISO layout with backlighting. Wireless has to be 2.4GHz with the usual usb dongle, bluetooth is just pants when there's interference and for doing anything in a pre boot environment.

I've got a Filco Convertible 2 Tenkeyless with mx blue switches which works 'ok' but is bluetooth and has no backlighting. Also have an Asus Rog Strix Scope RX TKL keyboard which ticks almost all the boxes but the switches are those smooth linear switches which I really dislike, I much prefer something with a positive click to it.

Does something like this exist?

Offline PlayBox

Re: Wireless keyboard suggestions please...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 March 2023, 16:14:41 »
I'm looking for a wireless TKL UK ISO layout with backlighting. Wireless has to be 2.4GHz with the usual usb dongle, bluetooth is just pants when there's interference and for doing anything in a pre boot environment.

I've got a Filco Convertible 2 Tenkeyless with mx blue switches which works 'ok' but is bluetooth and has no backlighting. Also have an Asus Rog Strix Scope RX TKL keyboard which ticks almost all the boxes but the switches are those smooth linear switches which I really dislike, I much prefer something with a positive click to it.

Does something like this exist?
well the closest you can get to what you want is an akko keyboard and change the switches. the problem is their keyboards are very budget and not really good quality. i would honestly get a bluetooth keyboard like keychron k pro and q pro series (k series exists too but its worse) or get a wired keyboard
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline bug2k23

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 March 2023, 16:42:27 »
Thanks for the suggestion, yes I did see the keychron but I do not want just bluetooth wireless, I have to unlock the encryption of the boot volume at startup and bluetooth does not work for this. I have also found it's range and signal quality poor in my environment which isn't an issue I have with the normal 2.4GHz wireless dongles.

This is why I picked up the Asus, it has both a 2.4GHz wireless, bluetooth and cabled connections, but I just don't like the linear switches, I much prefer a really positive click.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 March 2023, 20:42:54 »
Logitech G715. They have some impressive wireless technology. They also sell a clicky version.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline bug2k23

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 March 2023, 05:22:31 »
Thanks, the logitech G715 does tick the boxes but it's white! White only it seems, perhaps I should have added to the requirements, no all white keyboards!  :)
I see there are a couple of green or pink overlays for the case, I could maybe go for a gray keyboard where the keycaps are changable, this one looks like a kiddies toy keyboard.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 March 2023, 05:27:37 by bug2k23 »

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 March 2023, 22:14:52 »
Thanks, the logitech G715 does tick the boxes but it's white! White only it seems, perhaps I should have added to the requirements, no all white keyboards!  :)
I see there are a couple of green or pink overlays for the case, I could maybe go for a gray keyboard where the keycaps are changable, this one looks like a kiddies toy keyboard.

You also have the G915. There are probably more keyboards that logitech offers with lightspeed technology. You could also do some research on keyboards that make use of 2.4ghz connection.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline bug2k23

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 March 2023, 03:10:40 »
Thanks for that. I've picked up a Logitech G915 with the clicky keys. A couple of comments, it's 'ok', feels very cheap considering what they cost, rattles a lot. Typing is ok on it, better than with those linear keys, but still feels poor quality. Not a big fan of the low profile design.
The Asus I have is built like a tank, no rattles, feels solid, has a nice feel, but those linear switches I just can't get on with. They do make one with more clicky switches apparently but after a couple of months of trying to find anyone that had them in stock gave up and got this version. There is also the issue that f5-f12 default to being media keys until manually switched with a hot key combination. Not that I'm too fussy on the software to program the keyboard, but whoever Asus got to write their software is an insane lunatic, how hard could it be to be able to assign colours to individual key and then write that to the keyboard? It's only possible to assign a single static colour to the entire keyboard. In comparison the Logitech software is not much better, it's like they gave the insane person who wrote the Asus software different medication and let them at it.

If someone made a keyboard like the Filco but had a wireless usb dongle for connectivity and some backlighting that would be near perfect.
Thanks for your help.