Author Topic: [IC] Laser Engraving and Cutting  (Read 2289 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
[IC] Laser Engraving and Cutting
« on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 15:30:41 »
I have a membership based "hackerspace" near me that has several laser engravers.  Hackerspace is in quotes because it's less of an informal thing and more of a business.  The machines they have can engrave or cut acrylic, wood, and glass, but unfortunately not metal yet.  In conjunction with the case I might be doing if the interest is high enough, I was thinking it might be nice to offer laser engraving or cutting at a pretty cheap rate.  If more people were interested, the cost would be much lower.

Their basic one month membership cost is $140.  So the cost of membership would be split between however many people were interested in getting something engraved.  If 20 people are interested, the basic cost of engraving would be $7 each.  You'd have to either send me what you'd want engraved or cut or provide the money for me to purchase it locally.  A sample piece would also be nice so that I can test it and make sure the settings are dialed in before engraving or cutting the final piece.  In addition, I would have a small piece fee just as some basic compensation for my time, gas to get there, etc.  The simpler the job, the lower the fee, the more complex the job, the higher it would be.  I can't see it being more than a couple of dollars a piece.

If this sounds like something you might be interested in, go ahead and drop a comment in here and let me know what kinds of things you might be interested in getting cut or engraved.  If you want to prototype some acrylic cases, this is a perfect opportunity to try them out.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: [IC] Laser Engraving and Cutting
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 11:13:04 »
Interested. Lasers are cool.

I'm lame and uncreative right now (curse you school!), so I can't think of what I would want engraved.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 17:20:06 »
No real interest on this?  I can also do cutting and engraving at the place for $30 an hour or $55 for 2 hours.  I'm thinking of testing it out and cutting a 60% and TKL case idea I'm working on and engraving some cases/wrests some people have asked me about.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:28:24 »
Hey nub where is this place? I live in San Diego and wonder if I can go there myself and see the place.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 19:41:02 »
It's in Fountain Valley.