Author Topic: [IC] Ergodox Case and PCBs  (Read 12831 times)

Offline kuato

[IC] Ergodox Case and PCBs
« on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 16:38:43 »
Hi all, it's been a while since I've been on geekhack ...

My interest in new mech keyboards has been renewed after meeting other mech keyboard lovers at my new job. We're currently planning to build 3 ErgoDox for ourselves, but sourcing the parts is rather expensive with such a small buy. We have been looking at making a purchase of 25-50 of the following:

- Acrylic Case (If we make a large order we'll probably split 50/50 between wristrests and not)
- PCBs (haven't decided on color yet, most likely red, blue or black)

You will still need the rest of the parts (e.g. switches, keycaps, etc) yourself -- some assembly required.

Obviously pricing changes with quantity, but we're aiming for $35 (we're still shopping around, but we're aiming for that target).

Anyone interested?
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2013, 20:11:42 by reaper »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Ergodox Case and PCBs
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 16:41:50 »
You can get PCB's from mechanicalkeyboards.com

Offline kuato

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 17:05:17 »
We saw that, but we think we can get the PCB + acrylic case for cheaper than that; but we wanted to see if there would be sufficient interest here for it.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 18:00:25 »
$35 for both hand PCBs and case?
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 September 2013, 18:03:07 by MOZ »

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 18:34:19 »
$35 for both hand PCBs and case?

hmmmm im scratching my head too on the price tag.... kinda cheap
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 13:25:44 »
35$ for case and both pcbs? doesnt sound possible. this isnt a single sided pcb, honestly mechanical keyboards price is pretty fair i think.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 03:01:15 »
Why would you need acrylic case? Use my design and get a proper CNC machined case.
Here's the github:
https://github.com/cezaryfalba/ErgoDox-CNC-Case
And that's the thread with prototypes:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47408.0
I'm waiting for aluminium and thick PVC now, but soon you can expect a final product prototypes.
Also for those interested I'll be able to cut those cases myself, but rather in smaller quantities as I only have one basic CNC mill in my shop (and other machines but you can't cut cases on them) and this is just a hobby, so limited time after work.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:36:01 »
I would assume he actually means $35/piece, for just over a hundred for the barebones kit. Another $50-100 for switches & caps and you're competitive with MD's lowest price but with more flexibility.

If it actually happens that way, then yeah sure, I'd be in.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 17:07:37 »
If it was $35 for the thing, then wow, I'm in. Maybe.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 17:33:40 »
Hmm, yeah, I'd be in as well if it was $35 for both, maybe even if it was $35 a piece.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline kuato

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 03:08:01 »
Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm trying to convince the guy handling the sourcing of this stuff to register and join the thread to answer some of these questions in greater detail or I will try to get more details from him once we pin down the sourcing and pricing. From what I understand, this would be a very barebones kit: I believe we are looking mainly only at PCB and acrylic case, I assume this means everything you need minus keycaps, switches and whatnot (I imagine most people here have this stuff on hand already).

If the pricing works out to be low enough, we will most likely go ahead and have everything made and selling what we won't be using for our own builds.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 04:28:59 »
Hi all,

I'm trying to convince the guy handling the sourcing of this stuff to register and join the thread to answer some of these questions in greater detail or I will try to get more details from him once we pin down the sourcing and pricing. From what I understand, this would be a very barebones kit: I believe we are looking mainly only at PCB and acrylic case, I assume this means everything you need minus keycaps, switches and whatnot (I imagine most people here have this stuff on hand already).

If the pricing works out to be low enough, we will most likely go ahead and have everything made and selling what we won't be using for our own builds.

Just to update you (so when you start the GB, you can inform people of what else they'll need to purchase themselves) if you're supplying PCB and Case (and bolts for the acrylic case, or what ever the fastening method is), the required parts would be Switches, Resistors, Controller boards, and keycaps.

And just because I don't think it's been done before, if you're doing layered acrylic, I'd be VERY interested in having the layer that acts as the plate done in Aluminum, I think you could find a lot of buyers, even though that'll raise the price.

Additionally, if you're doing a new PCB, it might be worth looking into getting one that'll take LEDs (I don't know if this was excluded in the current models due to logistics, functionality, or another reason). There are plenty of people that would like lit up Ergos.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 07:28:34 »
Hi all,

Just to update you (so when you start the GB, you can inform people of what else they'll need to purchase themselves) if you're supplying PCB and Case (and bolts for the acrylic case, or what ever the fastening method is), the required parts would be Switches, Resistors, Controller boards, and keycaps.

And just because I don't think it's been done before, if you're doing layered acrylic, I'd be VERY interested in having the layer that acts as the plate done in Aluminum, I think you could find a lot of buyers, even though that'll raise the price.

Additionally, if you're doing a new PCB, it might be worth looking into getting one that'll take LEDs (I don't know if this was excluded in the current models due to logistics, functionality, or another reason). There are plenty of people that would like lit up Ergos.

The alu plate can be done if the OP wants. However for the LEDs, the PCB would have to be redesigned.

Offline acer589

• Gotta get out of college
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 22:07:48 »
Don't they do this on Massdrop?
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 22:09:21 »
Don't they do this on Massdrop?

Sounds like the OP wants to try and get it done cheaper than massdrop

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 23:22:38 »
My interest registered.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline excio

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 00:40:07 »
I'm interested. PM sent.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 12:42:49 »
Use my design and get a proper CNC machined case. [...]
I would suggest that you adapt the design so that it is milled out of a single piece of wood per hand. You can make it a single piece if you omit having a plate.
A plate is structurally unnecessary because the PCB supports PCB-mounted switches, and is more a question of personal taste. You could also make plates from laser-cut 1.5mm acrylic. The plates don't need to be an integral part of the case. (the switches were made for plates 1.5 mm thick, not 4 mm ...)
The bottom of each case would be a single sheet of plywood, plastic or sheet metal. Push/glue metal grommets into holes milled into the bottom of the top case and close with bolts.

Beware that in the current designs posted, from Litster and czarek (who adapted Litster's design), there are errors in the stabiliser mount for the innermost thumb switch. That is something that I think that you should fix before starting manufacturing.
There are also several versions of the PCB, with or without support for PCB-mounted stabilisers. If you don't use PCBWing for manufacture, I suggest that you remove the text "Manufactured by PCBWing" from the PCB file... ;)
There are bugs for the outermost columns - they were supposed to support 1x1 keys, but don't because some soldering holes were placed wrong in the design.
Know also that the keyboard was designed for a smaller case in mind, for which there are screw-holes in the PCB for - and those are unused in Litster's design. If you want to, you could use them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 October 2013, 12:50:20 by Findecanor »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 19:37:38 »
1.5mm acrylic is no good for plate mounting. You need a minimum if 3mm.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 10:58:59 »
Why? If you are not going to use a PCB, then I can see why, but there is a PCB there and the plate's function is to prevent the switches from twisting on the PCB.

Offline gnubag

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 11:26:55 »
Why? If you are not going to use a PCB, then I can see why, but there is a PCB there and the plate's function is to prevent the switches from twisting on the PCB.

1.5mm acrylic is still very fragile

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 09:25:59 »
Do the switches fit in 3mm? I thought that they only fit 1.5mm, and that's why they use metal plates?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 12:46:53 »
They fit, they just don't lock.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 16:55:29 »
You could also mill a thicker plate so that it is only 1.5 mm just where the locks are. There are builders that have done that.
That requires CNC milling though - you can't do that with 2D laser-cutting.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 21:02:02 »
You could also mill a thicker plate so that it is only 1.5 mm just where the locks are. There are builders that have done that.
That requires CNC milling though - you can't do that with 2D laser-cutting.

I think AcidFire mentioned that somewhere.S
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 13:31:37 »
I'm in
2 sets for me!
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline anotherbaal

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 09:03:37 »
Very interested.
Go on....

Offline effnish

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 10:22:21 »
I'm mostly interested in the case, but for the right price I'll take the PCBs too.

Offline Vyres

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 07:37:16 »
I'm interested in one for sure. If the price is right, I'd be in for 2 or 3.

Offline gnusosa

• λかわいいよλ
    • http://log.gnusosa.net
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 12:37:41 »
Also interested.
| - Realforce 87U Tenkeyless | - HHKB Pro 2| - HHKB Lite 2 | All keyboards on Colemak. | Emacs for every task!

Offline pushcx

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 16:33:08 »
I'd be interested in 2-5 sets for gifts, though I'd like to finish my first ergo first (hurry up and ship, Massdrop...).
WTB a set of black-on-black, white-on-white, or gold side-printed cherry mx keycaps for the ErgoDox I'm building, please PM