Author Topic: [IC] RAMA M10 "Ultimate Edition Kit" - 8 Degree holder & backplate  (Read 3991 times)

Offline RealLaugh

Hey friends

Just got together the final prototype pieces for an idea that is a few months old and that I have spammed to many a Discord user who made the misake of asking:

On the left is the RAMA M10 Ultimate Edition Holder and on the right is the RAMA M10-A Ultimate Edition Backplate. I would like to offer both parts individually or as a kit together.

Specs

Holder:
8 Degree angle
Available in drop colors (TBC) and color matching not available since using different fab
1mm Padding strips to be provided for the M10 and holder to sit together in harmony

Backplate (Only available on the M10-A):
3mm thick
Stainless steel
Fits within housing of the M10

More pics!

Fine, take a look here: https://imgur.com/a/wSIW6H0

Goal of the IC

Although the "package" seems like a nice idea, the proportions of the holder don't add any aesthetic value (just functional by adding some angle to the keypad) and I don't know how many people will desolder their perfectly working M10-A to install a backplate that isn't essential. The idea was to offer this as a "kit" together, but I could also offer one or the other.

Timeline

Beginning of June 2018: First prototype for the holder and backplate made in 3D print which is good enough to validate that I should move on
Middle of June: Backplate is ordered in 3mm stainless steel, and holder is reworked from 5 degress to 8 degrees, and the tolerances for the middle hole are increased (based on the self-criticism from the 3D printed part)
Today: Holder is received from fab in Space Grey and seems *OK* to start IC for feedback

To Dos

- The holder needs some adhesive padding to the top and possibly the middle where the bottom of the M10 slides in. I am thinking some self-adhesive velvet that's like 1mm thick. I am thinking of providing a small sheet and buyers cut out / install themselves to their liking. The tolerances of the hole into which the M10 sits are higher than needed to accomodate such padding, the goal was never that the M10's slides up against the metal of the holder
- The backplate might as well be 5mm thick to avoid it slipping down off the switches onto the PCB, but I don't know how much this would affect pricing
- Pricing work, based on quantity tiers, anodization options for the holder (looking to offer similar original A and B drop colors)

Happy to hear feedback, criticism, etc.

Special thanks to:

RAMA
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2019, 09:14:26 by RealLaugh »

Offline Peppermint216

Nice idea for both pieces. 5mm plate would be preferable, will add a bit of weight to it.

The base is on the larger side, would prefer it as thin as possible while maintaining the angle.

Offline RealLaugh

Nice idea for both pieces. 5mm plate would be preferable, will add a bit of weight to it.

The base is on the larger side, would prefer it as thin as possible while maintaining the angle.

Backplate agreed, I'll reach out and see the price difference. If it's like a couple of bucks more then I think it would be worth it.

Base also agreed that it's too high now that I'm looking at the photos, there would be some room to cut more off the bottom to reduce the height.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
I would get just the plate but not the holder.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
Re: [IC] RAMA M10 "Ultimate Edition Kit" - 8 Degree holder & backplate
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 07:33:31 »
This is awesome!! Love the setup RealLaugh  :-*
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 16:15:30 »
I would get just the plate but not the holder.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yes a friend just pointed out that the M10-B has the plate built into the top part of the case so I am going to update the OP and make that clearer that the backplate is M10-A only.

This is awesome!! Love the setup RealLaugh  :-*

Thanks mate

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 17:58:22 »
I do not own one of these but I think this is a great idea!

Offline elpepe21

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 10:39:18 »
I was thinking about this the other day! I really like the plate!

I had a defective M10-A that would not flash.
I was considering trying to design a new PCB with RBG leds for each key (like the M6-B).
But then I replaced the Mega32u4 and it started to work.

Offline vonswoopington

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 12:42:18 »
I would be interested in a slimmer holder and a thicker plate.
TGR 910 Polycarb | TGR Alice | TGR Unikorn | Lyn EM-7 | VE.A | Kyuu | E7-V1

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 16:19:54 »
I was thinking about this the other day! I really like the plate!

I had a defective M10-A that would not flash.
I was considering trying to design a new PCB with RBG leds for each key (like the M6-B).
But then I replaced the Mega32u4 and it started to work.

That's good to know, seems there is some interest in the plate at least  ^-^

I do not own one of these but I think this is a great idea!

Thanking you  :D

I would be interested in a slimmer holder and a thicker plate.

Thanks for the feedback, I am thinking about redesigning the holder to make it slimmer/lower and how to achieve that moving away from the current design. It might have to go more in the direction of a "hammock" or "cradle" of sorts rather than the "tray" design that is currently proposed. As for the plate I am thinking about offering a 5mm plate or keeping the 3mm plate and offering a 2mm foam cutout of the plate to supplement, considering that I can find a supplier to cut the foam plate as required.