Author Topic: Spilled OJ on my mechanical keyboard  (Read 11010 times)

Offline 0xChase

Spilled OJ on my mechanical keyboard
« on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 16:17:57 »
I spilled some orange juice on my mechanical keyboard (I have a BlackWidow Ultimate by Razer if that helps at all).  Flipped it upside down and shook it, sprayed it with compressed air, then tried it and it stopped working( lights were on but pressing keys didnt do anything). I turned off my comp and unplugged my keyboard, and  I've now removed all the keycaps but I'm not sure what to do now in order to clean it.  Please help!

Offline MyNameIsFinn

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 17:07:37 »
Quote from: 0xChase;555737
I spilled some orange juice on my mechanical keyboard (I have a BlackWidow Ultimate by Razer if that helps at all).  Flipped it upside down and shook it, sprayed it with compressed air, then tried it and it stopped working( lights were on but pressing keys didnt do anything). I turned off my comp and unplugged my keyboard, and  I've now removed all the keycaps but I'm not sure what to do now in order to clean it.  Please help!

Take it apart and let it dry.. I can't say itll work but it is probably your best bet
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Filco TKL MX Brown

Offline captain

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 17:11:49 »
Rinse it with 95% isopropyl alcohol
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline captain

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 17:12:27 »
And order a Filco while you wait!  ;-P
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 17:19:19 »
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Cherry+Corporation+Switch+Wiki#AAACKK+I+spilled+coke+beer+wine+Johnnie+Walker+Or+Worse+On+My+Keyboard+and+its+DEAD

You shouldn't have plugged it in until 24 to 48 hours of time for it to dry. Why do people always do this?
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline Tempy

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 17:19:50 »
main stream mechanical keyboards get spilled on
Proud owner of a Filco TKL with Blues, Noppoo Choc Pro with Blues, Leopold 104 with Browns and a CoolerMaster QF with reds

Sc2 stats

Offline MyNameIsFinn

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 17:25:47 »
Quote from: harrison;555764
actually, i completely disagree.  it'd be far easier to clean while the water in the OJ hasn't evaporated and left a sticky mess inside the switches.  much better to clean it while it's still liquid.

I said I don't know if it would work, I mean if you spill liquid on a mechanical you are pretty much screwed, just suggesting something to try to help.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Filco TKL MX Brown

Offline biszarerabbit

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 17:38:41 »
Quote from: Tempy;555776
main stream mechanical keyboards get spilled on

is it messed up if i was amused

Offline 0xChase

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 18:55:46 »
Ok. I have the keyboard submerged in a tub of isopropyl alcohol. How long should I leave it in for, and what will my next steps be? Thanks for all the help so far.

Offline kriminal

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 18:58:11 »
wasnt there a dude that ****ted on his kb?
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline mrmatt

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 18:58:41 »
Quote from: 0xChase;555837
Ok. I have the keyboard submerged in a tub of isopropyl alcohol. How long should I leave it in for, and what will my next steps be? Thanks for all the help so far.

Now you have time to go look it up in the wiki.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 22:17:59 »
Quote from: harrison;555769
it's funny, i never even noticed that he had a BWU... funny how 90% of the spills you hear about are with a BW board of some kind.

hardcore gamers dont give a damn about liquids in the heat of the moments.

or they are clumsy as hell. (i say this one)
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline captain

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 22:18:32 »
HIGH TEST alcohol. Regular alcohol is half water. It will never be the same again, you realize....  I was serious about the new Filco.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 23:32:25 »
Quote from: demik;555986
hardcore gamers dont give a damn about liquids in the heat of the moments.

or they are clumsy as hell. (i say this one)

Or simply there are more of them? Don't underestimate Razer's [strike]brainwashing[/strike] marketing toward "gamers."

Offline biszarerabbit

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 01:18:18 »
Quote from: laffindude;556029
Or simply there are more of them? Don't underestimate Razer's [strike]brainwashing[/strike] marketing toward "gamers."

Its true. I remember when I used to swear by Razer products. My first hint that Razer wasn't the end all was when I realized their quality control is pretty much nonexistent, me and a friend both got Razer mice at about the same time a while back and they both died or stopped functioning properly in less than a month. My friend ended up RMAing his since his died in like a week, and the next one he got also died in a week. Lol Razer.

Offline irjoe

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 02:35:11 »
Sure it wasn't Mountain dew?

Offline Bry

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 03:18:10 »
Quote from: captain;555767
And order a Filco while you wait!  ;-P

I was drunk and spilled water into my xarmor a while back but I didn't realize it till the next day. Obviously, it got fried because it was plugged in the whole time. i took it apart and desperately tried to revive it. I ordered a Filco during the whole process, and was never able to fix that board.

This man is on to something.

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline dirge

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 07:21:25 »
Get a Filco or Model M and drink out of cycling bottles.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline captain

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 07:50:31 »
LOL. That is one way of preventing most liquid in your keyboard. A Camelback would probably be more secure.  I just have a little table, off to the side and below keyboard level, where I put my coffee.

Offline Deverica Wolf

• Head-Fi
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 00:04:03 »
Quote from: harrison;555788
for water, yes.  anything with sugar content though... totally different situation.

i agree with the recommendation to have it sit in as high a percentage alcohol as you have on hand, and while it's in there, go buy more.  if you can't submerge the switches, flip it around a few times, at least, and add more once you've got it.  cleaning the PCB is irrelevant right now, that can be done afterwards.  you need to be worried about what's left inside the switches once everything dries.

Well it's just not good to plug it back in right away. Hear about that happening too many times.

Wow...all that work. What are the chances of it coming out of this undamaged with the alcohol soaking? Isn't that harsh for a item so sensitive like a keyboard after the spill? How common is it for them to survive from all that wetness?
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 00:14:17 »
Also be sure to list your Black Widow in the classifieds after if you find that you cant resuscitate it. There are plenty of people who would be willing to salvage it for parts if the price is right.

Offline Deverica Wolf

• Head-Fi
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 01:34:20 »
Thanks.

Offline Forsaken

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 23:36:34 »
Late response here, but I have cleaned cherry browns by submerging in pure water (distilled is best), with no ill effects, other than somehow causing a few bad solder joints to become obvious, but that was easily fixed with a soldering iron. Just dropped the PCB under the water, brushed all around the switches and worked them all well, took it back out, shook it a bit, then blew as much water out of the switches as I could with compressed air, finished up rushing the drying process with a hairdrier, then put it all back together. Typing on it now =p

This keyboard wasn't subjected to a beverage spill however, I simply risked the water cleaning because there was so much board-chow around and on the switches, and probably also getting into them, that I couldn't bear the thought of it corroding the insides of them.