Author Topic: Another 'help me choose a keyboard" thread - please help  (Read 2251 times)

Offline #1singed

Another 'help me choose a keyboard" thread - please help
« on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:03:10 »
I have about 80 dollars to spend on a mechanical keyboard.
I'm looking at a few keyboards, CM Storm Quickfire TK and Rapid, and Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition
At first I wanted to get the blackwidow, but i heard a lot of people saying razer products are really bad.
So its mostly quickfire rapid vs tk, help me decide between them.
I dig the sound of those cherry mx blues, i love making lots of noise when i type, makes me feel more productive. :p
I like to play osu, are cherry mx blues good for that?
Oh, and I use an imac, so are the cm storms compatible with them?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
Re: Another 'help me choose a keyboard" thread - please help
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:26:43 »
If you've got the desk space, go for the TK. As for compatibility, it shouldn't be an issue.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:27:06 »
If this is your first keyboard I'd probably suggest QuickFire Rapid.  It's more standard layout easier to get used to also later on if you want to change keycap it's easier.

As for iMac, I'm not too sure on that but I think TK has NKRO over USB and usually Mac will have issues with that.

I think QuickFire Rapid is a safer bet.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:27:50 »
As for iMac, I'm not too sure on that but I think QuickFire TK has NKRO over USB and usually Mac will have issues with that.

You can change it to 6KRO.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:43:03 »
If you've got the desk space, go for the TK. As for compatibility, it shouldn't be an issue.

Desk space? The TK isn't any bigger than QFR is it?

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:51:11 »

Desk space? The TK isn't any bigger than QFR is it?

Slightly wider.

Unless you NEED the tenkey, I would say go for the QuickFire Rapid, especially since it goes for $55 at times.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Tony

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 21:14:14 »
QF Rapid. You can always buy a numpad later.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 22:46:16 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

QFR - standard layout (which will make selecting your first set of custom keycaps so much easier), and it works fine with a Mac.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Emospence

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 01:24:38 »
+1 Rapid
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 05:12:50 »
I prefer the TK, because you can still rather easily feel the arrow keys and it has backlighting so you can see your fingers. Of course, I touch type, but it's useful to see what keys your fingers are actually on. Its price is a slight bit higher, but I think that you'll like it. The Rapid is still a great option and cheap ($57 with blues!), but I feel like having a backlit keyboard is nice, along with the numpad functionality if necessary.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 05:29:00 »
At first I wanted to get the blackwidow, but i heard a lot of people saying razer products are really bad.

I had the Blackwidow Elite for the best part of 2 years and never had a problem, when people say that Razer products are bad they make be referring to cheap keyboards, headsets etc, not specifically the Blackwidow line. I personally think that the line of Blackwidow products are very well made.

So its mostly quickfire rapid vs tk, help me decide between them.

I'd personally go for the Quickfire Rapid, I think it looks better, it's tenkeyless and I think it comes with MX Cherry Reds if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, and I use an imac, so are the cm storms compatible with them?

It's compatible yes, all keyboards are compatible with all operating systems  but  it's just a matter of having the hotkeys work and what not, like I'm pretty sure the hotkeys provided will not work on the mac and obviously the windows key will be replaced by the Mac equivalent.
你搞砸了

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 05:41:41 »
You are going to have more fun with the Rapid!
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 05:59:31 »
Oh yeah - QFR you can get replacement (black) case tops, and then customise them for the ongoing GH birthday competition thing.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ