Author Topic: [IC] PBT Somber: Kit Updates 6/9/21  (Read 10483 times)

Offline ertisan

[IC] PBT Somber: Kit Updates 6/9/21
« on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 20:55:25 »

Updates
6/9/21
- Updated with initial feedback. Some common problems that have been addressed were the alpha legends did not contrast enough and more kit options. Now 443C is the new legend color and new inclusion of Novelty, Spacebar, and 40s / Ortho Kits. From the previous google form it would seem the majority of people want the numpad included in the base kit. Please fill out the new google form if you would like to give more feedback on the set.

5/26/21
- IC Started. Please fill out the google form if interested! More to come soon!

Group Buy
Dates
TBD

Vendors
All regions - TBD

Pricing
TBD

About PBT Somber
Som·ber
/ˈsämbər/ adj.
- dark or dull in color or tone; gloomy.
- oppressively solemn or sober in mood; grave.

PBT Somber is a simple dark set with colors to evoke a feeling of gloom and dreariness. Its for the days where you wake up feeling lethargic and there are grey clouds in the skies overhead.
The set will hopefully be ePBT. However, the kitting for the set will be slightly different from most ePBT offerings. Typically, the numpad is removed from the base and there is a separate novelty kit. I'm hoping, if possible, to try for a larger base kit with a single novelty at a lower cost. Of course, this will depend on a multitude of factors and is subject to change. If that is something you would like to give input on, please fill out the google form!

As is typical, there are plans for a deskmats and possible collaborations. Things might change based on the level of interest. Changes will be updated in the "Updates" section.

Kits
Base

Novelty

Spacebar

40s / Ortho

Deskmats
TBD

Keyboards

Iron180

F1-8X

Pantone

Collaborations
TBD

Social
If you're interested in following this or other projects in the future by me, follow my instagram at @ertisan.studios

Signature
If you'd like to support the set and get the word out, please put this banner in your signature:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106045.0][img width=250 height=125]https://i.ibb.co/L6hWq8t/somber-Geekhack-Title.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 June 2021, 23:37:06 by ertisan »

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
Re: [IC] PBT Somber
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 21:07:26 »
not the biggest fan of all the dark legends on dark colors but glwic
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2021, 13:39:48 by FishyKeebs »

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 21:13:02 »
also, why forced accent space

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 21:34:37 »
looks a bit like gmk Boulder

In what universe does this look like GMK boulder.

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 21:35:59 »

to me its a tiny bit similar
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 June 2021, 13:40:13 by FishyKeebs »

Offline dandruff

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 21:39:34 »

looks like a darker boulder

Is there a meme I'm missing, or are you serious

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 21:40:24 »

I’m on phone so maybe the colors are distorted, I’ll look on pc

Offline dandruff

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 21:42:08 »

I hope this helps...

Offline tsoiab10

• Howdy :^]
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 22:00:01 »
Uh is it just me or is the pic broken

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 22:13:54 »
This could use more work.
In regards to kitting, I like the numpad included, but there are lots of things you can cut to make it cheaper.
The reason for lacks of novs is in my mind at least, is to lower cost and not force customers to buy a cool looking key that they would otherwise not want to buy.

You can also split of uk iso support along with other stuff like accents and keys in general to other kits as Epbt's moq system allows for much more kits, keep the numpad though, I love numpad in base

Things you could do imo, remove double 0, num =, iso uk support, alternate tsangan keys and remove the r4 capslock.

It'll still give you a base that is pretty big and good for most people, but not having too much keys to increase cost

Offline ertisan

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 22:18:06 »

I'm considering putting the alpha colored space in base kit unless there is a separate space bar kit. Mainly have the forced accent space because that's how I envisioned it. There will definitely be some solution that allows people to get none off-colored space bars whether thats just to include it in the base or in another kit.

In regards to kitting, I like the numpad included, but there are lots of things you can cut to make it cheaper.
The reason for lacks of novs is in my mind at least, is to lower cost and not force customers to buy a cool looking key that they would otherwise not want to buy.

You can also split of uk iso support along with other stuff like accents and keys in general to other kits as Epbt's moq system allows for much more kits, keep the numpad though, I love numpad in base

Things you could do imo, remove double 0, num =, iso uk support, alternate tsangan keys and remove the r4 capslock.

It'll still give you a base that is pretty big and good for most people, but not having too much keys to increase cost

As for the kitting, I'm trying to see what is the most amount of keys I can fit in the base and my goal currently is to work directly with the manufacturer and see what costs would look like. Unless there is an overwhelming request for kits such as NorDe or 40's, I want to try to keep it as close to one large base kit at hopefully a cheaper cost.

Which pic is broken for you? I can try taking a look. It seems like others are able to see all the images.

Offline dandruff

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 22:24:13 »

I'm considering putting the alpha colored space in base kit unless there is a separate space bar kit. Mainly have the forced accent space because that's how I envisioned it. There will definitely be some solution that allows people to get none off-colored space bars whether thats just to include it in the base or in another kit.

As for the kitting, I'm trying to see what is the most amount of keys I can fit in the base and my goal currently is to work directly with the manufacturer and see what costs would look like. Unless there is an overwhelming request for kits such as NorDe or 40's, I want to try to keep it as close to one large base kit at hopefully a cheaper cost.

Which pic is broken for you? I can try taking a look. It seems like others are able to see all the images.

I'm in the same boat, base kit is not showing up correctly for me, not sure why

Offline ertisan

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 22:32:30 »
I'm in the same boat, base kit is not showing up correctly for me, not sure why

Re-uploaded the image and set a new link for the base kit. hopefully that'll fix it up.

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
    • MY Keycap set - Transmutation
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 23:26:26 »
OOOOH lookin out for all the gloomy people! Thank you for making this, it looks really cool! Definitely interested.

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 03:59:43 »
ePBT strongly incentivizes breaking out kits since they are cheap and only the base kit needs to hit moq. I would advise you follow in the footsteps of previous sets so that you can maximize compatibility and still keep the base kit affordable.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 04:07:58 »

get better prescriptions, i have no idea how u can perceive this to be as close to gmk boulder tbh.

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 08:06:07 »

i never thought someone could be unironically wrong when comparing sets
speaking of comparing sets, stop doing it. you got a rule created already.

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 08:17:43 »

you can’t be wrong when it’s just opinion... I found the colors similar, so I said it they were similar.  I didn’t say cancel the entire set and it’s trash, it’s a decent set and I though I came across fine.  I’m not going to stop comparing sets if they look similar to me, there is nothing wrong with comparing sets.  If you read the rule, it doesn’t say you can’t compare sets.

Offline Flazion

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 11:41:04 »
I enjoy this!  As others have noted, I would possibly look into splitting out the kitting

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 12:37:20 »
Hi, I like your concept and theme! I have a few concerns.

At first I was going to comment mainly on the legibility of the alphas, but I was curious and pulled out my coated pantone book. Now, there are going to be slight differences due to monitor differences, but from what I see, 443C is completely different from your hex color, and both 2216C and 4165U are significantly darker and more saturated than what I'm seeing on my monitor. 443C is so far away to my eyes that it's beyond monitor differences imo. I am also concerned about you using both coated and uncoated with PBT plastic. I think this will lead to issues with colormatching with samples later down the road. While ePBT will work with coated pantones (I believe) uncoated pantone is highly recommended for PBT plastic. As a sidenote, this looks nothing like Boulder, idk what fishy is talking about.

There are kitting issues that others have pointed out, and you have a ways to go before you're ready for GB. However, I like your theme and colors (at least in the renders) and I think this set has a lot of potential. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or want some help. GLWIC!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 13:07:08 »
Oh god... I read that as "Sober" instead, and wanted nothing to with this.. GMK AA can go to hell!

Look pretty cool though, I like it.

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 15:35:51 »

you are capping right?
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline Ram

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 15:42:31 »

you can’t be wrong when it’s just opinion... I found the colors similar, so I said it they were similar.  I didn’t say cancel the entire set and it’s trash, it’s a decent set and I though I came across fine.  I’m not going to stop comparing sets if they look similar to me, there is nothing wrong with comparing sets.  If you read the rule, it doesn’t say you can’t compare sets.

There's a difference between comparing sets that could or do look similar and comparing a TURQUOISE-BLUE set to a BEIGE-BROWN one, there is 0 similarities and I'm honestly astounded you found any, the only thing even remotely similar are the accents because they're shades of white, and then again ones are beige toned white and the other a blue toned white.

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 15:45:11 »

you are capping right?

There's a difference between comparing sets that could or do look similar and comparing a TURQUOISE-BLUE set to a BEIGE-BROWN one, there is 0 similarities and I'm honestly astounded you found any, the only thing even remotely similar are the accents because they're shades of white, and then again ones are beige toned white and the other a blue toned white.

you have your opinion i have mine
nothing i say will make you see it how i see it clearly
it looks similar to me, thats all i said.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 17:49:51 »

I see similarities between this and boulder too. both are dark, muted sets, and both are grayish. Just an opinion home slice.. and it's not like it matters either way.

Offline illusixn

• Formerly illusixn
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 18:32:32 »

crack cocaine

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 18:33:53 »

crack cocaine
it’s ok you can drop it now bud, it’s an *****opinion*****

Offline Oggi

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 18:39:56 »
I agree

Offline dustox

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 06:54:34 »

I agree! So many sets these days copying GMK Boulder. By the way, can anyone help me identify some sort of number in this picture?? My whole class got it right but i'm beginning to think it's some sort of inside joke  :mad:

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 09:37:04 »
okay i feel obligated to give feedback now because of how much of a "circus" (- ireris) this thread is

Currently the base kit has a lot of unnecessary keys, like 1u Code, an extra 1u Fn, extra 1u Ctrl, and is also missing keys, like good spacebars. Personally I would learn about which boards have which layouts and then visit sets from the same manufacturer to kit for those layouts. At minimum, this needs revising to include a spacebars kit (or god forbid a mega add-on kit).

Offline Ireris

• p a i n
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 09:46:15 »
okay i feel obligated to give feedback now because of how much of a "circus" (- ireris) this thread is

Currently the base kit has a lot of unnecessary keys, like 1u Code, an extra 1u Fn, extra 1u Ctrl, and is also missing keys, like good spacebars. Personally I would learn about which boards have which layouts and then visit sets from the same manufacturer to kit for those layouts. At minimum, this needs revising to include a spacebars kit (or god forbid a mega add-on kit).

I'm ireris and I approve of this message.

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 20:49:40 »

I agree! So many sets these days copying GMK Boulder. By the way, can anyone help me identify some sort of number in this picture?? My whole class got it right but i'm beginning to think it's some sort of inside joke  :mad:

Show Image

so funny bro im dying rn

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 21:29:58 »

Show Image

so funny bro im dying rn
ikr?

Offline ertisan

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 04:50:49 »
OOOOH lookin out for all the gloomy people! Thank you for making this, it looks really cool! Definitely interested.

Ah! Thank you! On a completely different topic, I love the symbol alphas you're doing for Transmutation! The set looks so unique!

ePBT strongly incentivizes breaking out kits since they are cheap and only the base kit needs to hit moq. I would advise you follow in the footsteps of previous sets so that you can maximize compatibility and still keep the base kit affordable.

I enjoy this!  As others have noted, I would possibly look into splitting out the kitting

Oh god... I read that as "Sober" instead, and wanted nothing to with this.. GMK AA can go to hell!

Look pretty cool though, I like it.

First, I want to thank everybody for the feedback on the kitting. Its always a huge help to hear everyone's thoughts and gather from the community's experience. Now on to the kits. The main reason why this currently doesn't have any other kitting besides the base kit (with my previously designed set, I had the whole separate kitting to accommodate a wide variety of keyboards) is because with this set, I'm looking to move towards just having a base kit. The reasoning behind this is because with this set, I want to try to offer a set that is quickly delivered (or in an ideal case, readily available) and targeting a cheaper price while hopefully not sacrificing quality. To my knowledge (I could be wrong) traditionally GB's have the advantage of having a known quantity determined before they place their order with the manufacturer and the smaller side kits (spacebar, novelties, 40's, and other such kits) are usually ordered with not many extras. This avoids the problem of having the small side kits just sitting around not being sold as the base kit is usually what most people are after. While I know I can't accommodate everybody's board preference, I want to try to determine a reasonably sized base kit that covers the majority of what the average user will use. This way, it could be a one kit fits most. "most" would be whatever are the most common layouts among not just enthusiasts but also general users or people looking to get into the hobby.

I'm currently listening to the feedback from here and the google forms and determining if there's merit in trying this potentially faster method of getting the set into the hands of people who buy it. Of course, other ideas are always welcome and if the overwhelming majority wants to break things out into separate kits and go through the GB model, I'm more than happy to go that route.

Hi, I like your concept and theme! I have a few concerns.

At first I was going to comment mainly on the legibility of the alphas, but I was curious and pulled out my coated pantone book. Now, there are going to be slight differences due to monitor differences, but from what I see, 443C is completely different from your hex color, and both 2216C and 4165U are significantly darker and more saturated than what I'm seeing on my monitor. 443C is so far away to my eyes that it's beyond monitor differences imo. I am also concerned about you using both coated and uncoated with PBT plastic. I think this will lead to issues with colormatching with samples later down the road. While ePBT will work with coated pantones (I believe) uncoated pantone is highly recommended for PBT plastic. As a sidenote, this looks nothing like Boulder, idk what fishy is talking about.

There are kitting issues that others have pointed out, and you have a ways to go before you're ready for GB. However, I like your theme and colors (at least in the renders) and I think this set has a lot of potential. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or want some help. GLWIC!

Thank you for the interest! It means a lot. The hex codes I used for the renders are directly from pantones site for each of the pantone colors. There will definitely be differences in color based on having the actual pantone chip  (I have the gray chip in person) compared to what you see on screen. e.g. The hexcode used for all the grays is straight from https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/443-C which happens to be #919D9D. As for the alphas. that has been brought up a few times and I am currently testing a version with 443-C as the alpha to make it stand out more. Ideally, I will have a physical prototype in hand once I've settled on the coordination of the colors. This will hopefully help even further to show people what the final results on the keycaps will look like since I know renders can be misleading.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 09:41:57 »
The hex codes on pantone's site are not accurate. You will have to play around with them to get them closer to what you're seeing on the pantone swatch.

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 11:16:08 »
I don't think the one base kit is going to meet the goals you are wanting it to. It will be more expensive for people who don't need much compatibility, will make compat worse for the people who do need it, and won't be meaningfully faster to produce.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 22:04:39 »

all this, besides looking like gmk boulder  ;D

also, maybe have space bars match alphas? and any chance of adding top row “=“ to num pad? only asking bc i’m interested (otherwise i’d ignore). glwic  :thumb:

Offline ertisan

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 20:44:29 »
I don't think the one base kit is going to meet the goals you are wanting it to. It will be more expensive for people who don't need much compatibility, will make compat worse for the people who do need it, and won't be meaningfully faster to produce.

Fair enough. It also seems like people want the other kit options so I have updated the base kit and added new kits to accomodate.

all this, besides looking like gmk boulder  ;D

also, maybe have space bars match alphas? and any chance of adding top row “=“ to num pad? only asking bc i’m interested (otherwise i’d ignore). glwic  :thumb:

Yup! I've changed the spacebars in the base kit to match the alphas and introduced a spacebar kit with the off-color spacebars instead. I believe there is an "=" sign in the top row of the numpad. It's located in the lower part of the kit, below the numpad. If I misunderstood, please let me know!

The hex codes on pantone's site are not accurate. You will have to play around with them to get them closer to what you're seeing on the pantone swatch.

Once the kits have been finalized, I will be requesting the manufacturer for samples. Hopefully with a picture of that, everyone will know exactly what the resulting color will be from the manufacturer.

Offline matthewdias

Re: [IC] PBT Somber: Kit Updates 6/9/21
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 22:55:33 »

Quote from: ertisan
Fair enough. It also seems like people want the other kit options so I have updated the base kit and added new kits to accomodate.

Looks great as far as 40s are concerned. Only think I would suggest is 1 more 1u Ctrl to fill out the ortho bottom row without using arrow keys. (Assuming all the ones in base currently stay.)