Author Topic: [IC] Haven60 - Distinct & Premium 60% | WK, HHKB | Group Buy LIVE Today Feb 10th  (Read 29746 times)

Offline Garner

Haven60 by Garner
Unique & Customizable

Designed to be compatible with standard 60% PCB's with USB-C located at the top left corner. 
Split shift, split space or split backspace? ANSI or ISO? Arrow keys or HHKB? It's all possible.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GB LIVE FROM FEB 10th TO MARCH 11th!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Join us on Discord or Instagram to receive news and dicuss the project.

Supported Layouts

PCB plate will be available in aluminum, brass and polycarbonate.

Revamped Top Mount Concept

This mounting system provides a combination of gasket mount and top mount.
The idea is that the cylindrical rubber gaskets will allow the board's flex to be adjustable.
More details and showcase further below.

Group buy info

This keyboard is sold without PCB and comes with a plate that supports a wide range of layouts for maximum customizability.
Make sure your PCB supports the listed layouts above and have USB-C placed at the top left corner (the GH60/dz60/pok3r standard).
I have compiled a list of compatible PCBs further below, (and I'm sure there are more).

There is also a matching custom wrist rest to be offered as well as a carrying case with cutout for both the keyboard and the wrist rest!

Vendors

US: Mechs & Co. - 95 units

EU: CandyKeys - 50 units

CA: Desk[H]ero - 50 units

ASIA: Zion Studios - 50 units

GB goes live on Thursday February 10th, FCFS.

Pricing

Base kit: $310 USD
Includes full keyboard kit with WK or HHKB top, gaskets, fasteners, aluminum plate and case foam.

Options:
PCB Foam+$25 USD
Brass Plate+$30 USD
PC Plate+$35 USD
Carrying case+$40 USD
Matching Wrist rest   +$80 USD

Extras / Additionals:
Extra Aluminum plate   +$25 USD
Extra Brass plate+$40 USD
Extra PC plate+$45 USD

MOQ
Keyboard: 100 units
Wrist rest: 40 units
Carrying case: 25 units

Technical information

Keyboard Size:60%
Case angle:
Weight:~1.8kg unbuilt (4lbs)
Front Height:~20mm (0.78")
Case Material:Anodized aluminum
PCB Plate Material:Aluminum, brass and polycarbonate
Gasket material:EPDM (high quality closed cell rubber)
Wrist rest material:  Anodized aluminum with clear polished polycarbonate

Timeline

Final dispatch is expected 4-6 months after GB has ended.

Available Finishes
Featured with the optional wrist rest.

The pictures below are only renders, for accurate colors, please see the prototype photos further below.
The single color finishes are the same colors as the bottom of the two-colored versions.

Ocean Blue

Earth Brown

Stone Grey

Marine Blue

Champagne Beige

Night Black

Prototypes

Ocean Blue Full album

Stone Grey Full album

Earth Brown Full album

Typing test from Alexotos: Polycarbonate plate

Typing test from Filledtypes: Brass plate

Sound test (1st Prototype): Polycarbonate plate

Flex configuration

Haven60's flexibility can be configured by simply adjusting the tightening of the plate screws, below are a few examples to show the span of possible flex.
Going for high flex requires you to skip case foam. Album here

What's unique is that this flex is not achieved by relief cuts or bending the plate from fixed points.
Here the entire plate is allowed to move vertically thanks to the synergy between cylindrical rubber gaskets on the screws and the top frame gasket.
Which means there is less stress applied to the PCB as it isn't being bent as much.

Maximum flex ~3mm screw distance (m3 screw as reference) | Polycarbonate plate | PCB foam | No bottom case foam

Low flex ~1.5mm screw distance (half m3 screw as reference) | Polycarbonte Plate | PCB foam | No bottom case foam

No flex Screws fastened just until you start gettting a bit of resistance | Polycarbonate Plate | PCB foam | Bottom case foam

FAQ and other information

Does this keyboard include PCB?
No, this case is designed to fit 60% PCB's sized according to the standard poker / gh60. You can have your own choice of PCB as long as its layout are compatible with my PCB plate.
I have test mounted several 60% PCBs during the prototype stage.

Confirmed fits so far:
DZ60 rev. 3
DZ60 RGB v2 Hot Swap
BM60 RGB Hot swap
XD60
H60 from Hineybush
NOP60 from Checkerboards

Who are you?
I'm based in Sweden and started Garner as I fell in love with this hobby and wanted to bring more unique keyboards to the hobby.
My design philosophy is to stand out from the mass and bring new interesting designs to the table.

Working in CAD is a big part of my daily job. My daily job consists of providing customer tailored solutions (CAD-based drawings), product development, drawings for suppliers, etc.
I have a degree in design and product development and have always been a creative person who have done lots of personal media projects for fun throughout my life.

How can we contact you / receive news about this and future projects?
You can join the Discord channel here.
And follow my Instagram here

Forum signature code below if you'd like to support the project.  :)
Code: [Select]
[URL=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112488][img width=450 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/sKJkeSX.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 February 2022, 12:12:11 by Garner »

Offline frostykoala

• consider Nightlight
    • Check out some Renders :)
Re: Haven60 by Garner | Universal 60% Top/Burger Mounted Keyboard Case
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 15:00:59 »
any options for fr4/PC plates? If so consider me interested

Offline Garner

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 15:08:48 »
any options for fr4/PC plates? If so consider me interested

If the demand is high I will consider PC plate. Will help a lot if you let me know in the IC form.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 16:01:10 »
Do enjoy the colors, any chance for a dark green?

Offline antsinyourpants

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 00:27:33 »
Love it! It looks like something from Star Trek. The colours are amazing too. I'm not a huge fan of the 1st Edition plaque though.

Offline Garner

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 14:04:40 »

Not even 24 hours have passed and I have actually received several suggestions for a green finish. Won't promise anything at the moment but might be open to attempt some green renders later on.  :thumb:

Love it! It looks like something from Star Trek. The colours are amazing too. I'm not a huge fan of the 1st Edition plaque though.

Thank you for the feedback, it would help me a lot if you stated your opinons about the plaque in my IC form if you haven't already!

Offline Garner

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 11:20:43 »
Just a small bump to say that I added a new section to easier follow up on what's happening in the project.
Will post updates here and the progress channel on Discord as things move forward.

What's ongoing right now?

-
-
-

What's planned?

-
-
-
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2021, 14:05:42 by Garner »

Offline Garner

Bump!

Two weeks have passed since the initial IC and lots of changes has been implemented already. I'm looking forward to collecting new feedback and opinions from you guys.

Some of the changes:
- IC has been updated with better looking renders with keycaps.
- The mounting style has been revamped.
- PCB Plate will also be offered in polycarbonate.
- IC Form has been updated.

I also gave the IC thread a facelift with animated renderings and better structure

Offline nathanchere

I know it won't happen but I left my vote in IC for a HHKB top and split spacebar support. Love the design otherwise.

Offline Garner

With feedback comes results and with results comes changes and implementations!

There has been a significant demand for HHKB top and it had me think twice.
As I merged the four previous PCB plates into one, the logistical work decreased by a lot - I therefore decided to also offer a HHKB top frame.

Some other news and changes:
- Cutouts for split spacebar has been added, one 6.25u and one 7u option.
- Prototype has been ordered.
- Added HHKB render for each finish.

IC Form will stay open until the prototype arrives.

Offline Tomn

This looks sick, can't wait for the proto
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 May 2021, 21:17:34 by Tomn »

Offline Arithmetics

+1 for 3/1/3 spacebar. will you have a pcb that supports this or are you just saying the plate supports?

Offline Garner

+1 for 3/1/3 spacebar. will you have a pcb that supports this or are you just saying the plate supports?

My plate will support the layout. I know 3/1/3 is quite rare but hopefully it will be supported in more future PCBs and revisions.

It's also ok for anyone to produce a pcb specifically for this project as well since the point of the case is to fit as many pcbs as possible.

Edit: NOP60 is a PCB that supports 3/1/3 spacebar and is very likely compatible with my keyboard.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 October 2021, 06:38:41 by Garner »

Offline Garner

Re: [IC] Haven60 - Universal 60% Case (WK, HHKB) | PROTOTYPE PICTURES!
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 June 2021, 14:54:53 »
Prototype has arrived! (Link to album)

My thoughts:
Anodizing: Looks great - none of the visible sides has any marks or scratches. Just a small miscolored spot on one of the sides at the bottom.
Fitment: All parts fit together as planned.

Sound tests are currently being recorded and will be uploaded next week.
I also plan to make a quick video demonstrating the building process.

Round two prototypes will be colored and I plan to send them out to be tested by youtube/twitch profiles.

A few Pictures:
More and bigger pictures are in the main post or imgur album!
All images are raw and unedited.

Offline nathanchere

There has been a significant demand for HHKB top and it had me think twice.
As I merged the four previous PCB plates into one, the logistical work decreased by a lot - I therefore decided to also offer a HHKB top frame.

Some other news and changes:
- Cutouts for split spacebar has been added, one 6.25u and one 7u option

Damn... HHKB top AND split space bar?  :eek:
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2021, 06:56:01 by nathanchere »

Offline Garner

Sound tests are now uploaded and published!

My personal perception is that the sound is more crisp IRL compared to how they are perceived in the videos. I'm very pleased with the sound IRL despite me being poor at lubing, except for that damn enter key..   :D

Polycarbonate plate typing test

« Last Edit: Sun, 22 August 2021, 15:27:14 by Garner »

Offline Garner

New Update!

I have now added a new section to the thread where I show the adjustable flex of the keyboard.

R2 prototypes will arrive in early September and will then be sent out to be reviewed by streamers/youtubers from the community.
Here is a fresh picture from production of a HHKB in Earth Brown finish.

Offline nathanchere

Are those lines around the blockers on the HHKB top a prototype thing or going to be there in the final run?

Offline Garner

Are those lines around the blockers on the HHKB top a prototype thing or going to be there in the final run?

Actually not sure yet. I have a "regular" HHKB top right now but I tried this idea for the R2 prototypes.
I really like how these lines goes along with the design language and helps to frame the keycaps in a nice way (see the HHKB renders for different angles), but not sure how I feel when they arrive.

I will post pictures of both styles when the new one arrives and put up a poll to see what people prefer.

Offline Garner

I got my hands on a good microphone and recorded a new quick sound test. Using a proper microphone really captured the crisp sound profile I was trying to describe earlier.
Switches are lubed Lavender linnears from Durock with lubed Durock v2 stabs. Keycaps are ePBT BoW R2 with icon mods.

Offline sabomov

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 04:51:28 »

looks very nice! glwic!

Offline Garner

Another picture of the R2 prototype from production. Scheduled to arrive by the end of next week, can't wait!

« Last Edit: Sun, 07 November 2021, 13:02:59 by Garner »

Offline nathanchere

That gold finish looks damn fine. Seeing those two cases so close side by side makes me wonder, have you considered designing a matching wrist wrest to fit with that front curve and keep with the layered chamfer aesethetic?

Offline Garner

That gold finish looks damn fine. Seeing those two cases so close side by side makes me wonder, have you considered designing a matching wrist wrest to fit with that front curve and keep with the layered chamfer aesethetic?

I actually have a draft of a wristrest I designed to match the design and colors of this board but I never really got any further. Mainly because I'm not sure if an aluminum rest would be comfortable but also because they would be quite costly and I'm not sure if enough people would be willing to buy them to bring the cost down.

Btw, I have now added new photos of the R2 prototypes, check out how the gold/brown finish turned out, I think you'll love it if you like the renders.

Offline chat and team

like for the flex or bounce or whatever you want to call it test can you not be smashing every key. very inaccurate of a test. If I had a sledge hammer to the tofu it would be the most "flexy" keyboard in the hobby.
geekhack mods constantly break tos and refuse to read
Chinese overlords won

Offline Dinodk_89

been following the project for a while, started a bit meh but has turned into a really interesting project. I think the design is brilliant, GL

Offline Garner

like for the flex or bounce or whatever you want to call it test can you not be smashing every key. very inaccurate of a test. If I had a sledge hammer to the tofu it would be the most "flexy" keyboard in the hobby.

Yea I see where you're coming from and understand the issue, but to my knowledge there is no other way to show the 'flexiness' on boards than just pushing. Perhaps using some instrument to measure the force applied.
The point is to just show the that it can be both stiff and soft, not claiming it to be the most stiff / most flexy. (But smashing the keys kinda make sense for the stiff one though just to prove it doesn't move.  ;))

Offline STUDIOBLB

Re: [IC] Haven60 - A Distinct & Premium 60% | WK, HHKB | NEW Prototypes arrived!
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 17:01:15 »
Love the look of the forehead curve!

Offline Garner

Huge update!

- Ocean Blue finish finally revealed!

- Two vendors on board for the GB, Desk[H]ero for CA and CandyKeys for EU!

- New photos of the prototypes!

- Filled types will make a high quality sound test for one of the prototypes. Follow his channel!

- The other prototypes will be built and reviewed on stream. More info TBA!

Offline nathanchere

CandyKeys has been a top vendor to deal with, glad to hear they were chosen for EU.

Offline stidal

• milo#3939
mounting style looks super nice, but it looks like a bed headboard which is definitely a major turnoff
transition tkl // aksara ce // bully // valhalla // voyager // rs60 // adiuvare // ciel60 // jules // prime e // ut47.2 // sequence // bumper // q1 // gaff60

Offline nathanchere

Huge update!

- Ocean Blue finish finally revealed!

- Two vendors on board for the GB, Desk[H]ero for CA and CandyKeys for EU!

- New photos of the prototypes!

- Filled types will make a high quality sound test for one of the prototypes. Follow his channel!

- The other prototypes will be built and reviewed on stream. More info TBA!

Is there any final verdict re: the inset lines vs smooth finish on the HHKB blockers?

Offline Garner

Is there any final verdict re: the inset lines vs smooth finish on the HHKB blockers?

Thanks for the reminder!!

Hi all, let me know which blocker style you enjoy the most! With or without engravement? Put your vote in this poll! Poll closed.

Edit: Removed pictures
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 February 2022, 16:47:05 by Garner »

Offline Garner

Re: [IC] Haven60 - Distinct & Premium 60% | WK, HHKB | NEW Color Options Added!
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 12:50:47 »
Update!

I have added 3 new colorways to choose from: Marine blue, Champagne Beige and Night Black.
The colors are the same as the bottom pieces on the R2 prototypes, so use those pictures as reference. This will not affect the price point.

Also, the poll for the HHKB blocker design is now closed and resulted in 21 votes for NO engravements vs 6 votes FOR engravements.
So I have now removed the engravements from the pictures in this IC thread to not cause confusion, to be clear: The final HHKB version will not have engravements on the blockers.

Ps. Build stream will soon be announced! Stay tuned

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 03:05:37 »
Update!
Also, the poll for the HHKB blocker design is now closed and resulted in 21 votes for NO engravements vs 6 votes FOR engravements.

Fantastic news  ^-^ Where will the build stream be hosted?

Offline Garner

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 04:08:05 »
Fantastic news  ^-^ Where will the build stream be hosted?

Today Monday Dec 20th at 1pm EST (6pm GMT for us Europeans) Alexotos will build and review one of the R2 prototypes. It has a few flaws that has been adressed already but will provide a good picture of how it will feel in your hands :)

Offline nathanchere

I actually have a draft of a wristrest I designed to match the design and colors of this board but I never really got any further. Mainly because I'm not sure if an aluminum rest would be comfortable but also because they would be quite costly and I'm not sure if enough people would be willing to buy them to bring the cost down

By the way even though there are very soft wrist wrests, there are also plenty out there made of wood, resin etc and they're still comfortable. It's mostly about giving you a place to rest your wrists (hence the name :D ) to lift your hands and reduce backwards bending at the wrists rather than being soft. I'd still potentially be on board for a wrist rest matching the board aesthetic.

Offline Garner

New and fresh typing tests from Alexotos and Filledtypes is now added to the thread!

Offline Garner

I'm excited to announce the group buy will go live on Thursday Feb 10th!

- Final pricing and quantities is now listed in the thread.

- Zion Studios will run the group buy for the Asian region.

- Added pictures of carrying case and wrist rest option.

Offline nathanchere

So the wrist rests are happening too? Damn, this is the most I've been impressed with a keyboard group buy in a long time. Jätte bra jobbet

Offline marici22

Def looks different but the design isnt very attractive to me

Offline Nonnegaard

it kind of reminds me of a doormat. i liek.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline nathanchere

it kind of reminds me of a doormat. i liek.

I would be in for a matching door mat.

Offline Sandy

• Formerly cogitoergofemme
  • Sandy - Peach Tray Maker
    • the peach · studio
Can you flip your brown color board so it looks more like bread? The brown and  light brown in opposite places would look cool
🍑C11🍑KWA.6🍑GPK60 47-GR1RE🍑Vast60🍑Rose60🍑EHKB🍑Viktus Sinne🍑Boop65🍑Jelly60 Pro🍑Fuji65🍑Ginkgo 65🍑S7.7🍑Treasure Type-9 II🍑Thermal R2🍑Jelly 60🍑

Offline Garner

Group buy is going live today, thanks for all the feedback! Can't wait to get my hands on a few myself.  :) Topic locked.

Link to GB:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116205