Author Topic: Does wrist rest helps?  (Read 12465 times)

Offline klapheus

Does wrist rest helps?
« on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 10:40:58 »
I'm looking for a wrist rest for my pok3r keyboard but does wrist rest really helped on our daily typing?

Any recommendation?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Does wrist rest helps?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 10:44:48 »
I love tall gel wrist rests, but that is only my opinion.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 11:10:39 »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 19:21:55 »
I cannot live without one. Pretty much a requirement.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 04:34:27 »
I will say I am also pretty sure I'll always have one from now on.
I bought a Royal GLAM one and it's been with my keyboard ever since. I love it!

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 22:21:56 »
just in the recent years of using a mech board have I started trying to get my wrists as straight as possible and the keyboard as flat and level as possible. I have kinda stuck with the thick Grifiti wrist pads now on my home and work setups.
-Dana

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 06:45:40 »
I'm looking for a wrist rest for my pok3r keyboard but does wrist rest really helped on our daily typing?

Any recommendation?

You should get one if it helps level your hands when they're otherwise bending.  You can get one for looks or feel if otherwise, and that's your choice, but it probably won't really help that much.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 17:16:43 »

Any recommendation?

For me, I say no. I have 3 wrist rest for 3 different size of kb, 60%, TKL and full size. Never use!

Offline Alline Cliff

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 02:09:51 »
A wrist rest could  relieve pain and numbness in your fingers, hands, and arms. You may choose one depending on how you intend to use it and your own needs.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 20:35:56 »
Just got myself a wrist rest a few weeks ago and I don't know how I lived without it. Makes typing a bit more enjoyable.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 20:41:43 »
Never used one at first, but now it's absolutely necessary.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 20:57:18 »
Never used one at first, but now it's absolutely necessary.

A wrist rest could  relieve pain and numbness in your fingers, hands, and arms. You may choose one depending on how you intend to use it and your own needs.

Just got myself a wrist rest a few weeks ago and I don't know how I lived without it. Makes typing a bit more enjoyable.

Probably it depends on the position between my chair and desk. Will try to use wrist rest again.

Offline paecific.jr

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 16:00:11 »
I think I have to use one. I have a Model F 122 and the front edge on that thing is almost an inch thick! I found one at work for free and coding is so much better now. Sadly I don't actually have one at work with my Das, which has a very sharp edge.
First Mechanical Keyboard: IBM Model F 122

Offline Blanched_Almond

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 21:36:17 »
I probably should get one since my wrist has been aching like crazy these days.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 07:53:02 »
Initially I thought the leather padding helps relax the wrists, for a more natural strain on my forearm and wrists.

However, after a couple of months my wrists began to strain. So then I realized that the wrist wrest is constantly pushing against my carpel tunnel nerves, putting pressure no it.

So I removed the wrist wrest and eventually the strain went away. Now I generally reccomend AGAINST wrist wrests.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:26:05 »
Depends on the board. My current one is tall, so yes. I get wrist pain without one.

I think it is always personal - they are actively bad for some people, causing more strain. You have to take ownership of your own ergonomics and figure out what you need, and the answer also involves your desk, chair, how you sit, how you type, how much RSI damage you've already done, and frequently how stressed out or otherwise unhealthy you are.

Specifically wrt wrist rests, experimenting is really easy. It is just a hunk of mass; what you pay for is aesthetics. Look around your house and dummy something up. If you have access to wood tools, a two by four, sandpaper and nearly any cutting tool it is all you need. If not, find something slightly smaller but approximately the right shape, angle it, and perhaps put some cloth over it or something. Type on it for a while, see what happens. Adjust as needed. Perhaps experiment with something squishy on top; that seems to work for some people.

Good luck!

Offline Heist

• Warchief of the Horde
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:56:00 »
I have a couple that I got recently but I don't really care for them.  Thought they would feel super comfortable but I don't notice much difference at all between using them vs no using them.  Never had wrist pains before so I guess I shouldn't change my config anyways ;)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 14:36:56 »
I bought one because I thought it looked kickass, but never really used it. Then I bought my LZ which is fairly high at the front and I can't use it without the rest now.

I think it really depends on the height of the front of the case and the angle.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 00:25:57 »
Ordered Navigator of the Sea Wrist Rest from Jelly Key. It's about to ship soon.   :cool:

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:57:34 »
You actually want a palm rest. Any  orthopedic surgeon is going to tell you that resting your wrists on anything while typing creates pressure and can hasten or worsen carpel tunnel syndrome.

Something like this is a better option:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FEVWU8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2Z3EMIT03ZZZY&coliid=I2ALOVKHSY2B2L

Offline majstor

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 15:52:43 »
 I use a wooden wrist rest  for 5 years and now can not do without it.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 17:36:25 »
I didn't use one for the longest time until my wrists started to hurt from being bent upwards too much. I've had a wrist rest for a while now and I can't imagine ever having a desk setup without one now. (nylon covered black brick style)  It is just so much better when you have a more natural angle on the keyboard. Plus, it's an obvious place for stuff like resting your elbow/leaning on the desk

I hate the gel kinds.

Offline need

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 17:43:31 »
Wrist rest doesn't help, arm rest does.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 17:30:16 »
No part of your arm, wrist  or hand other than your finger tips should be touching anything. I would guess 90% or more o us violate that practice, me included.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/blog/desk-ergonomics-for-improved-posture-and-typing-speed/

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 02:49:53 »
Linking Das' website as a source? Son, I'm disappoint.

Offline swangful

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 18:27:16 »
Yup I had to get one after I got my TADA68. All my keyboards prior were very low profile. I ended up going with a glourious pc gaming wrist pad, not a fan of the brand's name and what not but the product is really great. It sits just where I want it to be without any strain in my wrists. I still have a slight pinky pain in my left hand..that I should investigate what is causing it :P

You should try out different heights, most come in a standard length of 4 inches. I just stacked books until I found a good height.

Offline chancellorr

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 21:33:32 »
I made myself a wood one and I love it. I only use it at work though. I really should make another one.

Offline H3NT4I

• 気持ちいい
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 09:52:38 »
I bought a TKL and 60% from Glorious when the greys were on sale and while I don't notice a huge difference I do think it helps. It's just better positioning to be typing on, I'd be interested in trying a wooden wrist rest in the future because those seem lower profile while the ones I have seems to taller. I think it's worth trying one out and see if you like it.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 01:10:22 »
Wayyyyy late to this convo but I just got a wrist rest and it feels sooooo good.

Offline Blanched_Almond

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 00:29:23 »
just in the recent years of using a mech board have I started trying to get my wrists as straight as possible and the keyboard as flat and level as possible. I have kinda stuck with the thick Grifiti wrist pads now on my home and work setups.

I already have one ( a softer one). Yes it can help, because it can support our wrists and a softer wrist rest is even more effective because it can lessen the pressure. Furthermore, it could prevent us to  to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome and repetitive stress injuries

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 21:44:43 »

I already have one ( a softer one). Yes it can help, because it can support our wrists and a softer wrist rest is even more effective because it can lessen the pressure. Furthermore, it could prevent us to  to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome and repetitive stress injuries

It cuts off blood flow at the wrists
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Jaymanlp

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:00:07 »
I'd say wrist rests are pretty much a necessity for long term typing. Material is mostly personal preference with what people find comfortable. I've been using a wooden wrist rest for a few months and while it's better than nothing, I feel it causes uncomfortability simply due to the fact that it's wood.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 19:13:23 »

It cuts off blood flow at the wrists

That's why I stopped using them. When I bought my first mechanical, I thought the board was too high, having to hold my wrist in uncomfortable positions.

But after a couple of months this deaf sensation started building up in my wrists. So I remembered I also play the piano and then you have to lift your wrists way higher then with a regular keyboard and that's fine as well (pianists suffer more from back problems than from wrist problems, typically). So I ditched the wrist wrest and voila never experienced any fatigue or weird feelings anymore.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 19:14:22 »
I'd say wrist rests are pretty much a necessity for long term typing. Material is mostly personal preference with what people find comfortable. I've been using a wooden wrist rest for a few months and while it's better than nothing, I feel it causes uncomfortability simply due to the fact that it's wood.

I guess it's very personal because typing styles also very: do you keep your wrist on the table, do you life your wrist, do you try to keep your hands steady or do they move across the board when typing, do you have your elbow tucked in or just loose, do you have your keyboard right below your wrist, like in a 90 degrees fashion, or do you have your keyboard farther away, etc.

Offline Alline Cliff

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 02:39:55 »
I have one but i'd rather have a small pillow under my elbows.

Offline ..//dexx

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 04:28:34 »
It's not really necessary. Like if you are used to keeping your wrist afloat and in the correct position when you type, you don't need one. I just like having one when I'm in a neutral position and not actually typing anything. It's more of a vanity item on my desk. Look at this solid slab of wood and finish.