Author Topic: FRANKENMOUSE (Microsoft IntelliMouse Shape w/ WMO internals)  (Read 20738 times)

Offline Inf3rn0_44

FRANKENMOUSE (Microsoft IntelliMouse Shape w/ WMO internals)
« on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 13:06:00 »
So I decided to do a frankenmouse mod. I took the internals of a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1 and placed them into a more comfortable mouse such as the Microsoft IntelliMouse w/IntelliEye 1.0. (the intellimouse sensor is horrendous, it cannot track at all). So the small and light weight pcbs of the WMO work and have great tracking.

I cut out the bottom section and replaced it with the WMO sensor w/ plastic mount.
Then super glued it into the same shape cut out on the bottom of the IMO 1.0
All in all, the intellimouse has a much better shape for the right hand than that of the WMO.
It has loads more palm support and coupled with a good sensor = very nice mouse!
WMO optical sensor has no accel and no prediction.
It has all OMRON switches & Extra Teflon feet
Lowest LOD of any mouse ever.
Literally a tiny movement up when you reposition the mouse is all you need.
Nice quality weight too, just enough not too much.
Basically a dream mouse to me, since I have gone through all the gaming mice in the market.

little rant:
I can make this super comfortable/simple to use mouse, by hand why don't other companies use this shape?
It makes no sense!

Anyway enjoy!

|IMO 1.0 Frankenmouse WMO Internals |
|Access-IS AKC090 Ghetto Reds w/ O-Rings |

Offline zzuper

Re: FRANKENMOUSE (Microsoft IntelliMouse Shape w/ WMO internals)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 00:07:12 »
Put a Deathadder in it instead..       :  ]

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 07:03:21 »
Icky. Why would you use a Razer mouse in a M$ shell?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 08:01:19 »
That's actually not a bad idea, the MS/Razer Habu was actually a good mouse. Although that might be because I liked the materials they used; it's got the same shape as the DeathAdder, but with materials similar to those used in the IME 3.0. It does feel a bit cheap, but it's surprisingly comfortable to use. Unlike the stupid shiny plastic Razer uses. Sensor doesn't work all that well these days though.

Offline Viz

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 03:45:47 »
I've just ripped apart my deathadder, going to try to mod it's sensor into the WMO.

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 15:15:56 »
I chose this sensor as it performs phenomenally for what I use it for. I love the 400dpi its just what I need and the LOD is better than that of ANY mouse. It's literally nothing. :D

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 15:21:37 »
I've just ripped apart my deathadder, going to try to mod it's sensor into the WMO.
The WMO has a decent shape, but not enough palm support. That's what I found and it was annoying to constantly think about grip mid game. I need a mouse to be like a extension of my hand. For a horizontal mouse, it's the best I have felt. And I have used a whole bunch of mice. DA (poor grip), G9x (decent grip but lacking sensor), Naga (good shape too, annoying sensor), Mamba (bad sensor and DA shape), Abyssus (horrible shape and jittery sensor), WMO (amazing sensor, lacking grip), IMO 3.0 (same awesome sensor, lacking grip and side buttons are poor) and more if you want to hear.

Offline NKRO

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 10:48:16 »
Very nice. It's crazy how bad mouse ergonomics seem to have become these days for the sake of looks. I think a lot of the old Microsoft mice designs were a lot better than most of the gaming mice out there today.

I'm very tempted now to pick up a DeathAdder and do a mod of my own. (but not necessarily in the Intellimouse shell) The DeathAdder sensor is better suited to my needs as 400 DPI is not enough and I don't like hacking the OS to get above 125Hz.

Offline orenbeck

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 23:06:51 »
Nicely done.  Sometimes, Good Enough-Is.

Offline link_tree

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 09:22:20 »
actually I can definitely see a reason for such a mod! 2 of my favorite mice join forces to create the ultra-mega-kabuterimon-zord!
I might actually try it one day...

Offline darksakul

• If it is not broken fix it until it is.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 22:22:37 »
Awesome Mod. I should remember this idea for my own projects

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Offline makaseo

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:29:19 »
Very nice mod. Would love to see more people do this with different internal/external combinations!

2 of my favorite mice join forces to create the ultra-mega-kabuterimon-zord!

"Kabuterimon-zord" made my day.

Offline harrison

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:42:20 »
this is a sweet idea for a mod, but you picked the wrong mouse body.  other than the fact that it doesn't have a scroll wheel or forward/back buttons, this has to have been one of my most favourite designs:

[work]ducky tiger dk-9008G2, cherry mx brown|logitech performance mx
[home]corsair k70 LUX RGB, cherry mx brown|logitech G700s

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:43:58 »
I don't have the model numbers here, but to sit next to my Model M, I got an elderly beige MS mouse from eBay and a NIB modern laser version and made a properly-functioning mouse with genuine patina to match the Model M.

Works a charm!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 05:32:51 »
I love my WMO.
On my 2nd one
(First one's usb cable got too fatigued and dont have the tools to rewire the header that plugs into the PCB)
Plus my new one is Black
(Old one was white-ish beige)

Looking for a more modern mouse with a slightly higher dpi though
(Dont NEED anything TOO High)
Havent found one I like yet.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 06:38:13 »
I love my WMO.
On my 2nd one
(First one's usb cable got too fatigued and dont have the tools to rewire the header that plugs into the PCB)
Plus my new one is Black
(Old one was white-ish beige)

Looking for a more modern mouse with a slightly higher dpi though
(Dont NEED anything TOO High)
Havent found one I like yet.
SteelSeries mice have a similar shape to the WMO, I can't think of any mouse that's closer to the WMO shape off the top of my head.

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 06:50:15 »
The only Steel series im liking is the Sensei which is $90-100 (normal or MLG)
Also Im not a huge fan of right side buttons.

was looking at the Mamba (RGB LED)
or a Deathadder (If they made one that is RGB or just Red LED)

(I like Red LED xD)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 07:04:30 »
The only Steel series im liking is the Sensei which is $90-100 (normal or MLG)
Also Im not a huge fan of right side buttons.

was looking at the Mamba (RGB LED)
or a Deathadder (If they made one that is RGB or just Red LED)

(I like Red LED xD)
I have a Sensei, I've been using it for a few weeks now, and the right side buttons have never been an issue when gaming, but you can always disable them if you're worried. It's got a great shape, I think it looks great, the software is pleasant to use. You could also get the RAW edition if you want a more textured rubber coating, less frills and a more pleasant price.

I wouldn't recommend the Mamba, it's pretty much a bad version of the DA that costs about twice as much.
If you really want a DA with red LEDs I would suggest just getting one and replacing the LEDs yourself.

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 07:06:41 »

I have a Sensei, I've been using it for a few weeks now, and the right side buttons have never been an issue when gaming, but you can always disable them if you're worried. It's got a great shape, I think it looks great, the software is pleasant to use. You could also get the RAW edition if you want a more textured rubber coating, less frills and a more pleasant price.

I wouldn't recommend the Mamba, it's pretty much a bad version of the DA that costs about twice as much.
If you really want a DA with red LEDs I would suggest just getting one and replacing the LEDs yourself.

hmm I didnt think of disabling the right side buttons xD
As for the LED swapping in the DA...
Hmmm... Why didnt I think of that? 0.o
Might have to do just that...

Not so sure about the whole synapse thing though...

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 07:14:25 »

hmm I didnt think of disabling the right side buttons xD
As for the LED swapping in the DA...
Hmmm... Why didnt I think of that? 0.o
Might have to do just that...

Not so sure about the whole synapse thing though...
Yeah, the Synapse thing is a bit icky, though you could see if you can get the old DA somewhere if you don't want Synapse. As discussed in the DA 2013 thread; Synapse isn't all that bad if you're only ever going to use one computer, it's not all that bad in practice, but the issue I and many others have is one of principle.

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 07:19:16 »
Not a huge fan on the scroll wheel on the old DA though.
Yes, I know I'm picky...
I wish my WMO had just a little bit more dpi and 2 thumb buttons...

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 07:23:38 »
Not a huge fan on the scroll wheel on the old DA though.
Yes, I know I'm picky...
I wish my WMO had just a little bit more dpi and 2 thumb buttons...
If you're happy with your WMO and just want more dpi and buttons I'd say go for SteelSeries, they still use that shape. The DA uses the newer IME 3.0 shape, if that's what you're after.

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 07:33:08 »

If you're happy with your WMO and just want more dpi and buttons I'd say go for SteelSeries, they still use that shape. The DA uses the newer IME 3.0 shape, if that's what you're after.
Actually I do like the IME 3.0 shape. I would have gotten one to replace my old WMO if I could have found one NIB for a decent price.
But yeah atm my options seem to be a Sensei or a DA/Mamba (I kinda like idea of the extra 2 buttons for the pointer finger)

What the heck are these IME 3.0 Steel Series?
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 February 2013, 07:50:27 by S2000Gan »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 08:10:36 »

Actually I do like the IME 3.0 shape. I would have gotten one to replace my old WMO if I could have found one NIB for a decent price.
But yeah atm my options seem to be a Sensei or a DA/Mamba (I kinda like idea of the extra 2 buttons for the pointer finger)

What the heck are these IME 3.0 Steel Series?
Show Image

Yeah, SS sold IMEs because they were, and still are, popular with gamers. They stopped selling them a while back, though. Nothing special with them apart from the paint and SS logo as far as I know.

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 08:27:15 »
Honestly I do really love my WMO.
And what they say about not needing high DPI is definitely true!
http://www.overclock.net/t/951894/the-truthful-mouse-guide

However I do game at 1920x1080 and I feel like a moue around 800~ dpi would help me make turns faster and easier while maintaining most of the control I have with the 400 dpi.

On a side note I still havent figured out how to overclock my mouse to 1000hz from the 125hz stock. I tried a while back but couldnt figure out how to do it.

EDIT: I also have a desktop of 3840x1080 so I definitely feel like I need more dpi for general computer use
I currently have the Enhance pointer Precision option selected in the mouse options in windows but that effectively just turns on mouse acceleration based on the speed im moving my mouse. It's really nice for general computer use, however mouse acceleration is annoying in games, and i dont bother turning it off every time I play a game, then back on when im done.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 February 2013, 09:06:33 by S2000Gan »