Author Topic: [IC] KeyBee Pollen65 Sandwich Mount Kit  (Read 26664 times)

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
[IC] KeyBee Pollen65 Sandwich Mount Kit
« on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 14:20:23 »
Hello everybody!

I hope you are all well. I am back with updates to the Pollen65 kit!

The Pollen65 is a 6° sandwich mount kit that includes the case, plate and custom KeyBee 65% PCB (KB65), all wrapped up in our new custom packaging!

ABOUT THE CASE

With the Pollen65, we want to expand on what we’ve done well and improve in areas that need it. We learned a lot from the Stripe60 as it was our first project. This being said, we will bring everything we learned into the Pollen65.

The official colors for the case top and bottom parts of the case (not plate) will be:

Orange – Tangerine

Blue – Blueberry

Purple – Concord

Pollen65 Concord with GMK Avanguardia

Black – Blackberry

Pollen65 Blackberry with GMK Oblivion

The cases will be 6061 aluminum for the top and bottom pieces with a 6° angle from the back of the case as shown. For the plate materials, we will be offering brushed brass, brushed aluminum, and frosted polycarbonate for those who enjoy a little RGB in their lives.

Official Pantones:

- Tangerine

- Blueberry

- Concord

- Blackberry

ABOUT THE PCB

For this release, we plan to offer a PCB that is made for the case. This will play off of popular compact 65% layouts that utilize 68 keys, so there is a possibility that we will sell the PCB’s separately for those who need one for a separate build.

The PCB will be hotswappable and offer front-facing LEDs. We wanted to make sure that this PCB offered something for everyone. Of course, you may turn off the LEDs if that’s not your thing. We plan to have this be compatible with your favorite software. VIA is currently in our sights, although you may let us know if you think we should go another direction. The PCB will also utilize a USB-C port on the back left side of the case. We plan to work with a local 3rd party cable maker for an option of a color matched cable!

RELEASE AND PRICING

The preorders will run for 8 weeks, starting on 3/15. During this time, I will be doing QC personally and packing the orders as they arrive. Of course, these are tentative, but I feel confident that we can stick closely to the timeline given.

We're looking at $224.94 for the kit as a whole!

LINKS

Preorder is LIVE!

Join our Discord server

« Last Edit: Tue, 16 March 2021, 23:21:19 by jwburrows »

Offline Vireca

Re: [IC] KeyBee Pollen65 Sandwich Mount Kit
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 14:54:16 »
You said to notify in google form about international buyers (I guess outside USA) but there is no section for comments to add that

Edit: would be cool if this keeb have a blocker for arrows, imo they looks better
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 November 2020, 14:56:25 by Vireca »

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 16:57:51 »
Estimated price for different options? Any proto?

I think this IC would be better if you actually said what you wanted to give customers instead of having consumers decide. You are the one that sells the finished product.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 16:59:13 »
You said to notify in google form about international buyers (I guess outside USA) but there is no section for comments to add that

Edit: would be cool if this keeb have a blocker for arrows, imo they looks better

Thanks for catching that, bud! Sorry about that- should be in there now.

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 17:02:47 »

I think this IC would be better if you actually said what you wanted to give customers instead of having consumers decide. You are the one that sells the finished product.

I think you're right, and the time will come when we will have specifics on this. I would say the second Reddit IC (and we'll update here as well) will be much more solidified on the points you mention. For now, we can just give estimations and see what people think!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 17:10:11 »

I think you're right, and the time will come when we will have specifics on this. I would say the second Reddit IC (and we'll update here as well) will be much more solidified on the points you mention. For now, we can just give estimations and see what people think!

Ok, I think you should also consider Number of units in your response. Please know that this is still more of an idea than a finished product that you want to sell. I see a lot of "plans" and "will do this". I'd suggest getting a proto ASAP (you can't really sell something if people don't know what the keyboard looks like in person).

Don't give a date unless you are capping the units at some number, which you should consult with manu to see how long it will take for production, and you to QC.

have a good day my friend Jwburrows and have great success with this keyboard

Oh  also you don't have internal specs of this keyboard either
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 17:17:04 »

Ok, I think you should also consider Number of units in your response. Please know that this is still more of an idea than a finished product that you want to sell. I see a lot of "plans" and "will do this". I'd suggest getting a proto ASAP (you can't really sell something if people don't know what the keyboard looks like in person).

Don't give a date unless you are capping the units at some number, which you should consult with manu to see how long it will take for production, and you to QC.

have a good day my friend Jwburrows and have great success with this keyboard

Oh  also you don't have internal specs of this keyboard either

Hello again!

Yes, I plan to cap the units produced as I did with the last release we did. This will allow to start production sooner and get these released in January as planned. Of course, we'll be looking to get prototypes in hand in the coming week or two, but first needed feedback on colors to narrow down the fruits used in the logo for the back design of the case.

Lastly, although I do think I should provide exterior measurements for this keyboard, I am not so sure the internal measurements would be so important as this is a kit and will come with one of our new 65% PCBs. Of course, I could be wrong on this and if you believe it would provide value that is good to know.

Thank you for the interest and points of note. Have a nice rest of your day!

Offline davisthegreat

• 3DKeebs
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 22:24:10 »
Solder pcb, fr4 plate proto and price - lets do it

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 22:28:27 »
posting an IC that looks like this and then asking me to pay $200+ for your product is insulting
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 22:33:22 »
posting an IC that looks like this and then asking me to pay $200+ for your product is insulting

I don't have to wait to get it in my hands so no fomo for me thanks. Not sure if it will sell but it's a keyboard.

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 23:04:39 »

I don't have to wait to get it in my hands so no fomo for me thanks. Not sure if it will sell but it's a keyboard.

Yep! Our last project did pretty well and shipped out in a fraction of the time of others. This is more of a "pre-IC" I suppose, so expect more refined renders and photos as production begins. If we get the demand we expect, this should sell pretty quickly. Of course, we're still feeling out the mechanical keyboard space but hope to impress!

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 12:46:46 »
Ok so its a bottom of a board, need to see more before I can make a decision on anything.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:48:57 »
Ok so its a bottom of a board, need to see more before I can make a decision on anything.

Of course! We're working on some caps and desk renders for the near future to showcase the rest of the case. Just a teaser at this point!

Offline ZakyChan

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:01:01 »
Wowow this is looking very clean! And budget friendly :)

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 16:53:40 »
Wowow this is looking very clean! And budget friendly :)

That's the idea!! Let me know if you have any questions. Top renders being cooked up as we speak!

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 17:13:34 »
From the renders it looks like the rear "foot" will sit on a sharp edge rather than the flat surface on top......errrr underneath.

Also I think showing the top of this board would be a good idea, as teasing the underside doesn't tease all that much imho.

Either way, glwic :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 November 2020, 17:25:26 by DALExSNAIL »

Offline dibstern

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 19:34:18 »
The back of the keyboard looks great! But I’m so confused, what will the keyboard actually look like?

Offline EndTheFed

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 23:10:30 »
Some people are being super negative here but I appreciate explaining everything and look forward to seeing more renders and details. I've filled out the IC and look forward to seeing more soon.

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 14:38:22 »
Some people are being super negative here but I appreciate explaining everything and look forward to seeing more renders and details. I've filled out the IC and look forward to seeing more soon.

Thanks! Had to take a short break, but I'm back now with much better renders and information for you all- I hope you have a very nice day.

Offline kwerty

• beep boop i'm a robot
Re: [IC] KeyBee Pollen65 Sandwich Mount Kit *NEW RENDERS 12/28*
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 17:40:26 »
Very sleek, I enjoy the shape

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 20:47:10 »
Very sleek, I enjoy the shape

I appreciate the kind words! Definitely going for a sleek look on this one.

Offline nick779

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 13:23:50 »
North facing switches, I'm out. A board that can't really use Cherry profile caps is a dealbreaker for me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 December 2020, 13:25:26 by nick779 »

Offline Allkchi

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 13:42:07 »
There's certainly some things that are a little rough about this IC
-North facing LEDs are a hard no for many in the community since it causes issues with keycaps
-The softer colors are alright, but that purple is clearly pink-light magenta
-Running multiple different ICs instead of putting it all into one doesn't show the progress that has been made and just makes this seem like a project you plan to drop

These things being said, I'll be watching with interest and GLWIC

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 16:10:44 »
There's certainly some things that are a little rough about this IC
-North facing LEDs are a hard no for many in the community since it causes issues with keycaps
-The softer colors are alright, but that purple is clearly pink-light magenta
-Running multiple different ICs instead of putting it all into one doesn't show the progress that has been made and just makes this seem like a project you plan to drop

These things being said, I'll be watching with interest and GLWIC

I appreciate the feedback! These are some very good points you make and I always love hearing different perspectives. As far as the point about the north facing LEDs, I think you bring a very fair point and moving forward I believe south facing will be the way that we go- this being said, for this project things might be too far with PCB manufacturing to change that, although I'll see what we can do. Also, we're not 100% set on Pantones quite yet as anodization pools can change with manufacturers, although I will say that in the renders the colors come out a bit lighter than the Pantones we have currently. Lastly, although you are correct in that we have multiple IC posts on Reddit, there should only be one Pollen65 post here on Geekhack that has been continuously updated throughout the project. Maybe I am a bit confused on what you mean- feel free to elaborate if you meant something else. Again, thanks for the feedback and have a nice day!

Offline Allkchi

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 08:19:11 »
My mistake on the ICs then. I apologize. I look forward to the Prototype pictures since renders often cause issues. Thanks for your clear communication!

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 23:33:16 »
My mistake on the ICs then. I apologize. I look forward to the Prototype pictures since renders often cause issues. Thanks for your clear communication!

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that we've made some changes based on your suggestions! First, we changed to south facing LEDs for the PCB layout. I wasn't sure if we'd be able to, but I decided to delay some things and make sure the product would be solid before releasing it to everyone. Secondly, we updated the colors to better reflect what we're going for. Not only in the renders, but the Pantones themselves! Let me know what you think and if you have any other questions or comments. Thanks!

Offline fredprinz21

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 00:00:58 »
Love the case!

And HARD YES to south-facing LEDs for the PCB, please.

GLWIC and I'm looking forward to more of your updates.

I hope the group buy is not FCFS. =(
For the night is dark and full of terrors.

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 14:42:34 »
Love the case!

And HARD YES to south-facing LEDs for the PCB, please.

GLWIC and I'm looking forward to more of your updates.

I hope the group buy is not FCFS. =(

Hey, Fred! Glad you like that revision to the PCB. This release will actually be a limited preorder style rather than a traditional GB. In that sense, it is first come first serve, but we still have enough units to where I'm confident that those who want one won't have an issue if they purchase during the preorder period. We're actually opening up in just a few days and then production can begin! Let me know if you have any quesitons.

Offline lz2019

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 15:00:49 »
just want to confirm, this WILL be compatible with some popular 65% pcbs in the market, for example kbd67 solder pcb, is that right?

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 20:28:17 »
just want to confirm, this WILL be compatible with some popular 65% pcbs in the market, for example kbd67 solder pcb, is that right?

I am sorry for any confusion regarding the PCB. I suppose you could technically use another compact 65%. Truthfully I haven't tested. For the Pollen65, there will be our new PCB (KB65) included in the kit, so no possibility of compatibility issues in that sense. Let me know if that makes sense. Of course, if you have any other questions, feel free to let me know!

Offline Thomassi

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 05:55:06 »
Renders dont match the plate. Will there be 6 switches to the right of spacebar? or possibility for 5 switches next to spacebar?

Offline MauMau444

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 11:17:56 »
is there a timeline on when these would ship?

Offline some1ab

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 13:45:21 »
nice, I love the design

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 14:16:03 »
Renders dont match the plate. Will there be 6 switches to the right of spacebar? or possibility for 5 switches next to spacebar?

Yes, thank you for pointing that out! That was a simple mistake on the renderer's end. The layout will match the plate & PCB as shown above, so 6x 1u keys to the right of the spacebar! Let me know if that clears things up.

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 14:17:16 »
nice, I love the design

Thank you! When designing, I try to do something that will work with the layouts people enjoy, while also offering something new and striking looks-wise. I think we found a nice balance with this board. Let me know if you have any questions!

Offline bluefacedbeast

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 18:18:33 »
Hello, I like the side profile of this keyboard and the 65% layout without blockers - I know most enthusiasts seem to like blockers but I prefer keyboards without them.

I was wondering what colour the aluminum plate will be? Are all the renders using the brass plate or is that the colour of both metal plates? I would prefer a silvery aluminum plate over the yellow brass colour.

Thanks, your product launch seems to be having a great first week, good luck with the rest of the sale!

Offline Nuap

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 22:02:04 »
Hello, I like the side profile of this keyboard and the 65% layout without blockers - I know most enthusiasts seem to like blockers but I prefer keyboards without them.

I was wondering what colour the aluminum plate will be? Are all the renders using the brass plate or is that the colour of both metal plates? I would prefer a silvery aluminum plate over the yellow brass colour.

Thanks, your product launch seems to be having a great first week, good luck with the rest of the sale!

Plate extras here: https://keybee.shop/products/pollen65-extra-plate?variant=39275665752133

They show the alu plate as silvery

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:50:48 »

Hi! Sorry for any confusion. The renders all use the brass plate, although aluminum and frosted PC are also options for the kit as well. Hope that helps clear that up for you. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!

Offline Alessio

• YT Channel
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 19:40:23 »
are we back in 2017?

Offline Nuap

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 23:32:58 »
are we back in 2017?

I agree that some of the aspects of this IC lack polish, but Jack seems pretty receptive to feedback and is upfront on his Discord. Given that, the only thing actually lacking here is the renders - there should be more, they should be better (in terms of colour accuracy), and they should be updated when the design changes.

Offline jwburrows

• KeyBee
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 23:45:29 »
are we back in 2017?

I agree that some of the aspects of this IC lack polish, but Jack seems pretty receptive to feedback and is upfront on his Discord. Given that, the only thing actually lacking here is the renders - there should be more, they should be better (in terms of colour accuracy), and they should be updated when the design changes.

Changed my mind and am working with my render guy to redo renders to reflect the current plate changes and to fix the 3x 1u issue. Thank for the feedback as always!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 23:46:52 »
are we back in 2017?

this is a normal looking ic
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline eatanygoodbooks

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 17:45:45 »
I can't wait to receive mine!!

Offline jk_pens

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 23:32:24 »
Did the pre-orders close? https://keybee.shop/products/pollen65-mechanical-keyboard-kit says "Sold Out"

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 00:38:12 »
yes it is already sold out.
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 23:53:25 »
I just received a shipment email, and according to the tracking mine is already on its way.  At just under six months from when I placed the order to when it shipped, this may be the fastest group buy of the pandemic for me.