Author Topic: CST L-Trac laser trackball  (Read 143378 times)

Offline duhokay

CST L-Trac laser trackball
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 13:01:08 »
Just got off the phone with MsKeyboard at Fentek and heard that there will be a new l-trac released at the end of the month (cst2545xw-rc). It will include 2 extra buttons and an additional 3200dpi adjustment. Interested to see what it will look like. Have an order in for one.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 13:10:09 »
Quote from: duhokay;182007
Just got off the phone with MsKeyboard at Fentek and heard that there will be a new l-trac released at the end of the month (cst2545xw-rc). It will include 2 extra buttons and an additional 3200dpi adjustment. Interested to see what it will look like. Have an order in for one.

hmmm.  Maybe I'll hold off on the extra button mod then.  :)

Offline duhokay

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 17:14:33 »
I just hope that the buttons are placed well, doubt I will end up using the 3200dpi.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 07:30:55 »
I've been using the CST purchased from Buy.com on the left side of my keyboard with my left hand and it's like buttah.   Smooth, accurate and a lot of fun.   I've never had an issue with Windows 7 64 Bit or XP Pro.  

I don't use the CST all of the time, and I have the Logitech G9 on the right side of my keyboard.  

If/when the new version comes out, I'll definitely pick one up.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 07:41:18 »
Mhmm, I saw a poll on their site asking whether or not people wanted a 3200DPI model. Will be interested to see how they handle the extra button on it.

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 08:24:44 »
I want one. Can it be bought in Europe? :-)
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline yamaha200

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 11:24:28 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;182278

Ya. on the website they have a reseller in Europe called Computerware.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 11:43:38 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;182278

Check the CST site, they have a few places around Europe

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 15:26:26 »
Hey all,
Here is the scoop on the new L-Trac-X.  It will be adjustable on the fly from 800 to 3200 cpi, but basically the same case, inputs and switching as now.  CST will also be releasing some new add-ons, such as a wrist rest that is to some extent adjustable and some external buttons that can be attached either through the use of velcro or double stick tape.
We have always been proud to carry CST products, since as you can see they are great at listening to their customers and offering products to accommodate their needs or concerns.
Let me know if you have any other questions.  Should have all the specs online soon............Later
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 May 2010, 16:56:40 by MsKeyboard »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 16:04:56 »
Is this wrist rest external to the trackball?

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 16:50:21 »
From what we have been told, the wrist rest will attach to the front of the trackball in a manner that allows adjustment in angle and placement.
Also, Robert Rolling is still with CST, but we have been dealing with Ross Myers.  Great group of people.............Later

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 18:19:05 »
YAY, I can't wait for the new CST L-Trac-X.  Given the two additional buttons, I should be able to demote the Death Adder.  The only bad is there's nothing actually wrong with my D.A. and the CST will probably cost 5 times as much.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 May 2010, 18:21:58 by washuai »
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 19:13:25 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;182426
From what we have been told, the wrist rest will attach to the front of the trackball in a manner that allows adjustment in angle and placement.

I'm liking the sound of this. The wrist rest is one of the things I missed when I went from my KEM to the CST.

Offline duhokay

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 20:32:00 »
That is great to hear, my l-trac is not uncomfortable though a rest would be much nicer.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 12:42:12 »
Upgrading linux distros is actually quite simple. Ideally, you have /home on its own partition.
It takes me about 20 minutes to do an install, maybe a reboot or two and I am done.

The last windows I installed was XP and it was incredibly tedious. Maybe its better with windows 7?
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 13:07:17 »
Quote from: bigpook;182647
The last windows I installed was XP and it was incredibly tedious. Maybe its better with windows 7?

This is entirely subjective.

As an example, this "tedious" procedure, as you've called it, is something I prefer immensely over the methods used elsewhere. I think I'm in the minority when I say I like the Windows install process, but different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Related concept would be software installation and upgrading on each platform. I can't stand package managers or the concept of them; I prefer to keep a library of installers somewhere (external HDD in my case) and reference that collection after a new Windows install. This way, if I've found a version I like better than the newest, it's substantially simpler to obtain the older version (and that tends to be the case; Fireworks 8, Winamp 5.35, couple-versions-old Nero...)

And re: ripster, for that sort of thing with me, I also keep a backed up copy of my application data folders (there are indeed a couple scattered about) and for the programs which store their preferences in their installation folder, a copy of that folder itself.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 13:30:58 »
Quote from: kishy;182652
I think I'm in the minority when I say I like the Windows install process

I like the old DOS way of installing things:

*** Copy files to hard disk. ***

Job done. Simple. Effective. Easy to fix if something goes wrong. Easy to transfer to another machine / partition.

Then Microsoft had to make everything dependent on a central registry. In the name of reliability and tidyness??? Somehow "ROFL" doesn't quite cut it.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 13:31:04 »
I still think a windows install is tedious but haven't done Vista or Win7 yet. Maybe its improved.
 All I remember is the multiple reboots, failure to detect the hardware on the motherboard (and this from a "plug and play" OS no less ), then the endless round of application installs and then finding drivers....and more reboots.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'll take apt-get over whatever passes for package management on a windows machine.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 16:10:24 »
Quote from: bigpook;182657
I still think a windows install is tedious but haven't done Vista or Win7 yet. Maybe its improved.
 All I remember is the multiple reboots, failure to detect the hardware on the motherboard (and this from a "plug and play" OS no less ), then the endless round of application installs and then finding drivers....and more reboots.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'll take apt-get over whatever passes for package management on a windows machine.

Windows 7 has one of the most painless install procedures... With the exception of my ASUS sound card, all hardware on my desktop and laptop work right out of the box. Ubuntu is probably the best for idiot proof install, but hardware support is nowhere near as good.

That, and the OS itself is pretty crap.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 May 2010, 16:15:29 by ch_123 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 14:09:46 »
Do they require you to send the old unit back to them?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 15:47:03 »
Interesting, I might send an email across.

Offline iMav

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 17:41:43 »
I've noticed on my trackball that I have a "dead spot" on the scroll wheel.  If I rotate to that section, scrolling is not detected...I have to roll past that small section for scrolling to continue.  

Has anyone else encountered this??

EDIT:  Took it apart again and put it back together and the problem has disappeared.. perhaps it was simply not seated properly...regardless, the problem is gone.  :)

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #172 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 17:51:57 »
Sounds like a blockage on the toothed wheel. Should be an easy fix. Unless a tooth has broken off.

Offline iMav

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 10:21:42 »
I've been using mine regularly and have to say that I miss the slimblade.  The main problem for me is I like to use my finger tips to manipulate the ball.  This means that whenever I need to hit the middle button or us the scroll wheel, I have to significantly shift my hand forward.

How does everyone else use the trackball?  I can't imagine being very accurate with the palm of my hand (plus, that would mean a lot of arm movement).

Offline iMav

« Reply #174 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 12:10:13 »
Just like the slimblade, I will use it for a month straight and see how I adjust.  I hated the slimblade when I first tried it...so I'm sure I will adjust.  :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 12:45:20 »
Quote from: iMav;188468
I've been using mine regularly and have to say that I miss the slimblade.  The main problem for me is I like to use my finger tips to manipulate the ball.  This means that whenever I need to hit the middle button or us the scroll wheel, I have to significantly shift my hand forward.

How does everyone else use the trackball?  I can't imagine being very accurate with the palm of my hand (plus, that would mean a lot of arm movement).

I have the same problem. In fact, when I use it, I find myself reliving my glory Windows 95 days and drag-clicking the slider on the side of the window...

Tried using my KEM again for a while, but it feels like pushing a rusty wheelbarrow after using the CST with its metal rollers. It's a shame because the scroll wheel is a really great idea.

Offline iMav

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 14:42:17 »
I'm already getting more accustomed to it.  :)

(it's the only trackball I have that will fit next to my Model F on my keyboard tray...so there is motivation)

Offline iMav

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 31 May 2010, 14:54:47 »
Quote from: ripster;188511
That spacebar and layout - ow!  Nice switches though.
I've always been hard on my space bars, so the one on the Model F is perfect.  And now that I have closely replicated the HHKB layout, I'm quite happy with it for now.

Offline JBert

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 15:32:00 »
You see, there's a model F for everyone!
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 05:53:07 »
Yeah, got the same email here.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 12:57:03 »
Haha, love it. Actually it's nice to know there are companies out there who credit their customers with enough intelligence to do minor upgrades/repairs.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 14:07:49 »
They did offer to pay for it to be shipped to them and back to have the work done, but I opted to do it myself.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 16 June 2010, 16:13:10 »
Actually, you're right - I would have had to ship it to the US. At that price, I would have been better flogging it off and buying a new TrackX model when it comes out.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #183 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 12:18:43 »
How does the laser track pool balls?  I'm curious because I have a couple of Kensington Orbits with unevenly textured balls and their optical sensor doesn't track the blank spots at all.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 12:26:49 »
Uses laser tracking, but the ball is mounted on metal rollers.

Offline noctua

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 10:14:28 »
The model CST2145W is the white one with a black ball and the CST2545W is complete black,
anybody knows if there are more differences like different PCB or something else?
I ask because i intend to invest in such one..
Selfmade Keyboard I (done)
DT225 CH Trackball

Selfmade Keyboard II (95% completed)
L-Trac CST2545W-RC Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline noctua

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 10:39:12 »
Robert says the 3200cpI model will only be available in black with two jacks and a scrolling wheel.
No customizing of colors or features will be available for the L-TracX.
DT225 CH Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline noctua

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 11:38:52 »
Ok confirmed by Rob, there is no difference between the CST2145W and CST2545W
except the colors.. (ball, cable and case)

This sounds to me as then all Laser/USB "units" are based on an common PCB
and perhaps with the same firmware..
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 June 2010, 11:43:54 by noctua »
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #188 on: Mon, 28 June 2010, 06:46:08 »
Just got the replacement PCB... it's the part on which the laser is mounted. Haven't tested it with my main PC yet, but it appears to be operating.

Offline noctua

« Reply #189 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 15:23:26 »
ripster: can you confirm the "scroll-lock" feature on your CST, if you hold
the middle button pressed (this should activate the scroll-lock) and you can
now scroll the contend with the ball? Apart from the fact the CST has an
dedicated scroll cylinder..
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline noctua

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 15:33:33 »
Thanks for testing, have you the impression of "comfort" then you scrolling in this way?
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline FourOhFour

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 07 September 2010, 21:03:03 »
Quote from: ripster;219777
Well, I never liked it in that mode even with a mouse so I never use it.  I have middle button mapped to CTRL-W (close Firefox tab).  Use the scroll wheel for scrolling.

I use the middle button to open links in a new tab far too often to do that. Middle clicking on the tab already closes it, which is quick enough for me. (Sometimes a little too quick... ctrl-shift-t to the rescue!)

Offline noctua

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 07:46:44 »
I received my CST2545W-RC today, it looks very nice - like an tank -
huh.. what an move to reach the scroll cylinder.. :ballchain:

DT225 CH Trackball

Offline cloud_171

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 00:59:42 »
I just got the LTracX today and love the CPI upgrade from my Microsoft Trackball Explorer. It also rolls a lot smoother but the lack of back/forward button is making it tough to adjust.

My biggest complaint is that using it after an hour, wrist discomforts start to develop. Probably give it another shot but this comfort issue is quite the deal breaker, wish CST would release this wrist rest of theirs.

Offline noctua

« Reply #194 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 03:18:32 »
on ripster's image above (post  #272) you can see where you can insert the two
missing switches, he also describe this "modding" in his own thread..

i plan this too, the for- and back-switch are quite practically..
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline timofonic

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 24 February 2011, 15:28:45 »
I'm hating mices, the only one I'm able to use without angry it's my old Logitech M-S35.

Where to buy the CST L-TrakX from Europe?

Offline noctua

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 25 February 2011, 01:49:14 »
I've got my from ComputerWare, because they answer quicker on emails and
it was the cheapest option compared to Fentek, i don't know then they
receive their next charge of L-TrakX, because i ordered an L-Trak..
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline timofonic

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 25 February 2011, 03:31:06 »
Do you mean Computerware UK? The Computerware history is very... intriguing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computerware

It seems to be Computerware UK, here is the bad guy I want

http://www.computerware.co.uk/lasertrac5X.html

Am I correct? :)

Offline noctua

« Reply #198 on: Fri, 25 February 2011, 05:00:37 »
correct, i mean computerware.co.uk - thanks for the update that they have
now the L-TrakX.. - they deliver quickly - within five days via british air-mail..
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #199 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 15:57:12 »
Just pulled the trigger on a CST2545W. Looking forward to the experience and adding extra switches.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 March 2011, 16:00:59 by kidchunks »
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com