Author Topic: [IC] GMK Red Samurai  (Read 141357 times)

Offline RedSuns

Re: [IC] GMK Red Samurai
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 15:08:19 »
Just a little advice, i dont think adding letters into novelties kit is a good choice, because gaijin kit already have all the japanese letters.
Sorry for my bad english.

Not the surrounding area. I think it's still a nice addition or option.

Really like the colorway and the sets.  Watching for a GB status :)

Thanks.

i think a cool idea with the novelties would be to have the head torso and legs, so if you line them up you assemble a whole samurai. Not sure how it would look or where you'd seperate the armor for each key, just a thought.

i think a cool idea with the novelties would be to have the head torso and legs, so if you line them up you assemble a whole samurai. Not sure how it would look or where you'd seperate the armor for each key, just a thought.
That would probably only work around the numpad area if you ask me

Maybe I can do helmet in number 8, entire armor in number 5, and just tabis or getas in number 2. I'll try making it later and see how it looks.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 22:29:12 »
What is the 2u shift key for? Please excuse the question if it has an obvious answer, but I am not aware of a keyboard that requires it, yet.

HHKB Pro JP, XD60 layouts, or for ISO users? I am not sure myself, but I thought someone might need it since some past GMK sets had it.

I can add the Tex Beetle and the GK64 to that list -- they're both 60% with arrows, with a 2U left shift, 1U right shift, and non-standard stagger in that row as a result.  There was a GK64 groub buy on reddit not long ago.

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 02:05:54 »
What is the 2u shift key for? Please excuse the question if it has an obvious answer, but I am not aware of a keyboard that requires it, yet.

HHKB Pro JP, XD60 layouts, or for ISO users? I am not sure myself, but I thought someone might need it since some past GMK sets had it.

I can add the Tex Beetle and the GK64 to that list -- they're both 60% with arrows, with a 2U left shift, 1U right shift, and non-standard stagger in that row as a result.  There was a GK64 groub buy on reddit not long ago.

Thanks, I'll take note of that.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 04:39:19 »
Maybe I can do helmet in number 8, entire armor in number 5, and just tabis or getas in number 2. I'll try making it later and see how it looks.

How are you thinking with regards to the armour - chestplate and leggings all in one key?

I think for this to be viable, you'd have to use a larger area I reckon, but I am looking forward to the mockup  :thumb:

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #154 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 10:59:19 »
I want this set incredibly bad, I haven't seen something I wanted this badly in a while. 

Offline hikasaki

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 11:44:28 »
I'm definitely in! I can see it being an big success! Just wondering what happened to the factions novels...I really prefer those.

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 14:07:06 »

How are you thinking with regards to the armour - chestplate and leggings all in one key?

I think for this to be viable, you'd have to use a larger area I reckon, but I am looking forward to the mockup  :thumb:

Well, you could emphasize the upper body more and include the legs so a separate key for the legs aren't needed. The legs aren't really that important, but the footwear would be nice to add. On the other hand, I could just make the chestplate. I think creating the legs in a separate key would just look funny. :))

I want this set incredibly bad, I haven't seen something I wanted this badly in a while. 

Glad you like it.

I'm definitely in! I can see it being an big success! Just wondering what happened to the factions novels...I really prefer those.

Which factions/clans specifically? The past ideas are listed under the Novelties orange MORE button, but with the smaller lines I don't know if GMK has the tooling to make it. I was trying to avoid the smaller lines with lines 2 to 3 times that size. Eventually, we ended up with these novelties so far. Novelties can change pretty fast though. Once I get more information from GMK on how the Novelties are made, I would probably place the factions/clans in a separate Novelties kit with the appropriate modifications. Then again novelties should be taken lightly until there are signs of it moving to GB stage. In the meantime, I'll be taking suggestions to improve the kits.

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 17:21:43 »
Man, this looks really cool, I hope I can pick this up!

I don't know if it's too late to suggest this, but a novelty based on Samurai Champloo would really go along with this!
From the Desk of His Authority

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 18:49:34 »
so awesome...stoked for this.

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 20:13:19 »

I don't know if it's too late to suggest this, but a novelty based on Samurai Champloo would really go along with this!

It's not too late. There is plenty of time for suggestions. I was going to add two, which was getas on a 1U key and Mugen's typhoon sword on a larger key for better scaling, but wasn't sure.
I think I am going to watch the series again to see what I should add. If you have something more specific in mind, let me know.

so awesome...stoked for this.

:thumb:

Offline stand.geek

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 00:55:19 »
do you have any ETA for this set?
I need this for my MOON keyboard!
I ordered a wine red + champagne gold + brass just to match this set.

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #161 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 01:30:17 »
do you have any ETA for this set?
I need this for my MOON keyboard!
I ordered a wine red + champagne gold + brass just to match this set.

Sorry, there is no timeline for this set yet, but I appreciate the extra early preparation. :))

Would definitely like to see pics of it together if this set happens.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 23:34:11 »
My god this would be perfect on a lacquered filco.
Great design!

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 16:30:31 »
My god this would be perfect on a lacquered filco.
Great design!

Maybe it would...

Offline omegafivethreefive

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 23:25:34 »
interesting

Offline Owl-

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 17:44:09 »
Loving the set.

One request. For the Gaijin and Hiragana kit, please add an additional R1 1u '\|' for hhkb layout users.

175219-0

Offline _cramil

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 22:32:15 »
Love the colorway of this set. It is pretty unique. I'll be keeping an eye out for this to drop!

Offline OCloudNine

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 00:26:29 »
Love the colorway of this set, will look out for the GB, definitely buying! Good job so far  :thumb:

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 03:04:58 »
Loving the set.

One request. For the Gaijin and Hiragana kit, please add an additional R1 1u '\|' for hhkb layout users.

(Attachment Link)

I'll think about it. It does look like it needs it to keep the alphas consistent. Though, I won't be adding new keys to the Hiraganas Alphas Kit until after the Laser gets dropped to see what I should do with the kit. My plan is to keep things efficient with the Hiragana Alphas Kit for GMK and MD. There is no need to mix around alphas and create new molds if it works well with the theme. It's a tough decision on their end because they have to get the price right. My hiragana kit is a little different for the brackets and pipe keys because I prefer them that way, but that could change depending on what GMK and MD wants to do.

On a side note, I am wondering whether I should add a 1U Shift key to base kit with the shift arrow(from Nautilus Ergodox kit) or the word "Shift" to match the HHKB Pro JP, GK64, etc. Might have to wait to see what MiTo will use because I don't think the latter exists and I prefer that one.

Love the colorway of this set. It is pretty unique. I'll be keeping an eye out for this to drop!

Love the colorway of this set, will look out for the GB, definitely buying! Good job so far  :thumb:

Thanks for the support. :)

Offline moecoffee059

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 09:19:31 »
Nice set, but can i know the color code this set use please ?

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 09:23:28 »
Found it this set while on vacation in Rome and couldn't help but vote in the MD poll, do you know how long it will take before seeing it up for sale?

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 15:45:13 »
Nice set, but can i know the color code this set use please ?

No, because the colors are not finalized yet, but it is basically red, brown(can pass off as yellow or gold as others have been saying), and black, if that helps.

Found it this set while on vacation in Rome and couldn't help but vote in the MD poll, do you know how long it will take before seeing it up for sale?

There is a chance that this set will come in 2018(if their 2017 drops goes smoothly) from the recent hints MD have been giving me, but there is no official word from MD for which quarter year. I will update the thread once I have at least the quarter year.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 16:08:13 »
There is a chance that this set will come in 2018(if their 2017 drops goes smoothly) from the recent hints MD have been giving me, but there is no official word from MD for which quarter year. I will update the thread once I have at least the quarter year.

Is there a way to vote on Massdrop that helps encourage set enabling, like vote for all + base + ?

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 17:00:59 »

Is there a way to vote on Massdrop that helps encourage set enabling, like vote for all + base + ?

From the information I've gathered from all MECH KEYS drops recently, they would usually review the poll and choose a relevant product that is available even if it didn't have the highest vote. In this case, this is just one set with options added by the original creator, so I don't know whether or not they add up the votes or not. Just choose the ones you want most to indicate which item you really want. If you want the majority, just choose All kits. I think the polls will only record the first vote though. If you really want hiraganas just choose hiraganas, but its fate depends on whether GMK will produce them for the Laser. Having this set exist should help because those hiraganas molds will be used again. Still there could be a day where I might be too busy for any of these stuff, but I'll try to make sure it could happen if the terms are agreeable.

To answer the person that asked for average GMK votes in the MD discussion, it would currently be around 2635 votes thanks to Zambumon's record vote count, lol. I manually added the votes that were displayed through the polls options. Though votes are not the deciding factor and drops can happen based on other statistics such as IC, Talk comments, web statistics, or other hidden/unknown factors.

Offline moecoffee059

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 18:23:28 »
Hmm I hope this is N9 modifier, I dont know if black is a good color or not :p

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 18:32:37 »
Hmm I hope this is N9 modifier, I dont know if black is a good color or not :p

No, this is not N9. The set is using custom colors, but if you're thinking about case options a darker black would be a good choice imo.

Offline moecoffee059

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 20:04:00 »
oh, if yah, I dont care about case color just this set color invidual, if same as carbon also ok, just hope its not pure black :D

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 20:14:09 »
oh, if yah, I dont care about case color just this set color invidual, if same as carbon also ok, just hope its not pure black :D

I think it's going to be darker than the Carbon, not sure how much darker though. :/

Offline mgh87

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 08:02:59 »
I would be in for this set

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #179 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 01:16:05 »
I thought this set was a neat idea but it wasn't until I saw the TKL render with the black arrow keys that was I was ohh oh no I need this now

Offline RSC

« Reply #180 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 05:18:46 »
Instabuy for me if you add the "Ç" to the Norde Kit.

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 13:04:19 »

It's not too late. There is plenty of time for suggestions. I was going to add two, which was getas on a 1U key and Mugen's typhoon sword on a larger key for better scaling, but wasn't sure.
I think I am going to watch the series again to see what I should add. If you have something more specific in mind, let me know.

About Samurai Champloo, I think a sunflower on a key might be really nice, considering how it's symbolic of many of the character motives in the show. It might be a complicated design, but maybe a sunflower stalk whose root becomes a sword?

Thanks again!
From the Desk of His Authority

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #182 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 18:18:04 »
Instabuy for me if you add the "Ç" to the Norde Kit.

Tough call because I don't think the mold for that key exists for GMK sets, so it could be expensive to add. Norde kit numbers in general aren't quite there yet for 100 MOQ. I'll ask MD about it when that time comes.

About Samurai Champloo, I think a sunflower on a key might be really nice, considering how it's symbolic of many of the character motives in the show. It might be a complicated design, but maybe a sunflower stalk whose root becomes a sword?

Thanks again!

Nice idea, but I have some other things in mind. I'm holding back because of the additional expenses, but I might just add some things later on to check the interest. Though it's not a guarantee it would be added to the set.

Offline moecoffee059

« Reply #183 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 19:51:00 »
Hmm, do u think this can on sale in this year ?

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 12:59:06 »

I would love to know this as well

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 15:13:25 »

Again, I would expect it to be some time in 2018, which is what I got from MD Support. Lots of things will be more clear in a few months.

Offline stand.geek

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 00:50:10 »

Again, I would expect it to be some time in 2018, which is what I got from MD Support. Lots of things will be more clear in a few months.

Please make it Q1 2018, my MOON will be waiting for this  :p

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 02:46:37 »

Have you considered using ZFronier? My experience with them has been way better than massdrop! No delays, good pricing and really fast production/shipping.

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 04:44:12 »
Please make it Q1 2018, my MOON will be waiting for this  :p

I would if I could. :))

Have you considered using ZFronier? My experience with them has been way better than massdrop! No delays, good pricing and really fast production/shipping.

I prefer Massdrop for this set. We all just have to be patient. In the future, if I decide to design more sets I'll consider trying other vendors.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 04:47:32 »
I would much prefer zfrontier specially after what happened with MD and them screwing so many people in china. I already ordered from zfrontier and it went smoothly

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 05:18:01 »
I would much prefer zfrontier specially after what happened with MD and them screwing so many people in china. I already ordered from zfrontier and it went smoothly

I don't know the story behind that, but maybe some of them are actually scammers. Have you seen those videos where people jump in front of cars on purpose? It's quite common.

But whether zFrontier is good or not, I don't plan on changing vendors for this set unless I really have to.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 05:20:17 »
There was a post on Reddit about it. Basically they promised to refund a partial order for 3.9k usd for the SA Godspeed as they don't have enough stock to fulfill all.the orders.

Either one or the other I will get the set, I was just sharing my opinion :-)

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 05:45:29 »
There was a post on Reddit about it. Basically they promised to refund a partial order for 3.9k usd for the SA Godspeed as they don't have enough stock to fulfill all.the orders.

I think I read that post before, but I wouldn't spend that much at once anyway. For me personally, no issues with MD so far.

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #193 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 02:10:43 »

I think I read that post before, but I wouldn't spend that much at once anyway. For me personally, no issues with MD so far.

Massdrop has delays, high shipping costs, slow packaging and shipping, extra taxation for EU (They don't underdeclare), poor customer service.
My experience with zFrontier (3 sets so far) has been perfect. They ship exactly on time and the sets arrive underdeclared and the customer service is also great.

I really think you should at least consider them. You would probably also be able to get this thing on the road way sooner.

Only suggesting this because I really love the design of this set :)

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #194 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 02:17:08 »

It wasn't for one person only, it was 1 order, yes, but it was a proxy for China. That means they screwed up and now dozens of people back there won't get their order. That would infuriate me if I ordered this set and it got delayed just like the godspeed (unlikely, but still).

Massdrop has delays, high shipping costs, slow packaging and shipping, extra taxation for EU (They don't underdeclare), poor customer service.
My experience with zFrontier (3 sets so far) has been perfect. They ship exactly on time and the sets arrive underdeclared and the customer service is also great.

I really think you should at least consider them. You would probably also be able to get this thing on the road way sooner.

Only suggesting this because I really love the design of this set :)

I totaly agree with this; I live in Europe and this has been my experience with zFrontier! Got their pbt vulcan GID keyset and paid exactly 0€ of import fees. With MD, on the other hand, I had to pay around 25-30€ for a KC-21 Numpad which I order from MD for around 30€ shipped! That makes it quite expensive for a plastic numpad.

Offline Auk

« Reply #195 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 06:23:22 »
It's easy to focus on the negatives when you've had a bad experience, and Massdrop is not close to perfect. Their big positive: Massdrop are able push through Colevrak, Norde etc. they usually get enough sale for MOQ on extras like ergo, ortho, Cyrillic, Hiragana etc.

Red Samurai is a strong design and it stands out amongst a lot of 'me too' keysets, I'm sure it would sell very well via any of the bigger GB retailers known amongst the community here and on Reddit, but there are a lot of extra kits and Massdrop is the place where I'd have the highest confidence of getting them all made.

Offline avid

« Reply #196 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 06:44:46 »
massdrop is great. They basically run a keyset once a month and the godspeed is the only problem ive heard about (where they sent out doubles to some people leaving some people without sets). I dont expect that to repeat itself and also GMK is delivered in boxes while SA in bags, so would be much harder to screw up.

If a small vendor screwed up once - would you boycott them forever? Massdrop have screwed up some orders - once - out of what - hundreds of keysets?

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #197 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 06:48:56 »
massdrop is great. They basically run a keyset once a month and the godspeed is the only problem ive heard about (where they sent out doubles to some people leaving some people without sets). I dont expect that to repeat itself and also GMK is delivered in boxes while SA in bags, so would be much harder to screw up.

If a small vendor screwed up once - would you boycott them forever? Massdrop have screwed up some orders - once - out of what - hundreds of keysets?

Totaly not! :D I would still gladly buy from them :) My main "complaint" was about the import fees which were as high as the product. On the basis of 110USD for this set, the import fees would around 40-45€ for me, which is why I spoke about zfrontier.

Actually it's my fault, I jumped in the thread and commented after just reading the last comment of the discussion in which zFrontier was mentionned; I should have read the complete conversation before commenting. My bad :(

Offline xantiema

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 07:38:26 »

Screwed me on 1/1 orders   ^-^

Offline Uhmmmm

« Reply #199 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 19:11:32 »
Look great!
I like set color