Author Topic: [IC] DSA Bounty Hunter (NOW AVAILABLE)  (Read 20089 times)

Offline holtenc

[IC] DSA Bounty Hunter (NOW AVAILABLE)
« on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:24:27 »
This set is now available on my site: www.primekb.com

Cheers.

Update 7/15/17

I've received a couple production samples for the green modifiers. One with gray legend and one with maroon. In the render the maroon legend on green cap gets washed out. However, with these caps in hand, the maroon legends look pretty good IMO. I think I'll do a smallish run of 50 sets.

Update 6/24/17

I have ordered a couple production samples: Green with maroon legends, and green with gray legends. They're expensive as #$%^ but I think it's better safe than sorry. I really think the maroon will look good but this should settle it.

Update 6/20/17

I decided the scope of this set was getting too big and lost sight of my original goal. So, sadly, mandalorian alphas and the novelty keys are going away. I'm just going to do a small run and hope I can sell them. Probably 100 or less. The number ordered will largely depned on the results of this poll: https://goo.gl/forms/bJBIB2NWrUoMsoeI2    So, please take just a minute and cast a vote. It's only 1 question.

I'm pretty disappointed about scaling it back. I was getting pretty pumped about it. I just don't have the time and resources to get it done right.

Hi.

I would like to produce another set specifically directed at the smaller non standard boards (40/45%).

Please give your opinions about DSA Bounty Hunter. Thanks!

Potential Novelties:

Grey Modifier Legends:

Yellow Modifier Legends:

Black Modifier Legends:

Inspiration:
More

« Last Edit: Thu, 26 October 2017, 14:06:49 by holtenc »

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
Re: [IC] DSA Bounty Hunter
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:29:35 »
I really like the vibe of this :)

Make 40% the standard kit, but also add other kits so 60%, tkl, full-size and other footprints are supported too.

I'm imagining this set on my m65-a with split spacebar and I like the thought a lot ;)

Sent from my sofa using lazy-stuff...
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:34:05 by rioc »

Offline deeoh

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:34:02 »
I love the colorway! It would be an instant buy for me if you swapped out the alphas for Mandalorian

Edit: sorry for the crappy photo link, click the above link  :(
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:40:00 by deeoh »

Offline holtenc

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:35:40 »
i agree 100% that would be awesome. although, I don't think I can afford to pay for for all those molds! Double shot and all.

Offline rioc

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:35:42 »
I love the colorway! It would be an instant buy for me if you swapped out the alphas for Mandalorian

Show Image

Oooh, I like that idea :)

Either pure or double legend.

Offline rioc

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:37:44 »
i agree 100% that would be awesome. although, I don't think I can afford to pay for for all those molds! Double shot and all.
I'd like to see this as pbt dyesub...

Offline deeoh

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:39:06 »

Dye-sub on PBT! Most, if not all, of those are dark on light, so it should be possible.

Show Image

Oooh, I like that idea :)

Either pure or double legend.

I'm out if it's double legends, it just clutters up the keycap and I'm not looking at the caps for typing anyways  :p

Offline holtenc

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:39:45 »
can colors other than black be dye-subbed?

Offline deeoh

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:41:02 »

Yup! Milestone XDA had multiple color options. Hey, you could go XDA profile on these...

Offline holtenc

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:42:03 »

Yup! Milestone XDA had multiple color options. Hey, you could go XDA profile on these...

oh yeah! totaly forgot about those. come to think of it... the Core had black, red and blue dye-sub.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 14:18:16 »
Straight Mandalorian and I'm 100% in. I'm a sucker for unique alphabet/fonts.

Offline holtenc

X
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 14:41:48 »
XDA and dye-sub are intriguing options. The combination would most certainly be much cheaper than SP double-shot.

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 17:26:48 »

Show Image

Edit: sorry for the crappy photo link, click the above link  :(
I'm in for either. This does look badass though.

Offline online

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 18:05:21 »
This looking good. Like the font and legend design. The color is fresh and minty! love it.

I think some of the legends(i.e. number row) are too close to the edge.

The 2 lines legend is looking kinda odd to me, maybe considering vertically center the or space out like the number row legend?

Just my 2 cents.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 21:07:13 »
This looking good. Like the font and legend design. The color is fresh and minty! love it.

I think some of the legends(i.e. number row) are too close to the edge.

The 2 lines legend is looking kinda odd to me, maybe considering vertically center the or space out like the number row legend?

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. The legends are just what KLE and KLErender spit out. If this ends up being DSA (highly likely) then they will be whatever the DSA double shot legends SP has. I think they only have 1 option.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 21:21:00 »
Loving the Gold legends on the Mods. Keep up the good work!
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 21:35:29 »

Make 40% the standard kit, but also add other kits so 60%, tkl, full-size and other footprints are supported too.

I'm imagining this set on my m65-a with split spacebar and I like the thought a lot ;)

g2439506 date=1497292175]
I agree

[/quote]

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 21:36:41 »
Loving the Gold legends on the Mods. Keep up the good work!

I agree w/ you! I hope this set becomes a reality!

Offline holtenc

Re: [IC] DSA Bounty Hunter (Updated with Novelties)
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 22:02:05 »
added a few novelty ideas.

Offline ns90

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 22:37:22 »
I was going to say Aurebesh looks cooler, and then I saw a better picture of the Mandalorian alphabet.

+1 for Mandalorian

Offline dodgeyhack

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 07:04:10 »
This is really sweet. I have the same inspiration sitting on my desk here =D
Black mods is my preference.

Off topic, but it's crazy how many great keycap sets have been released/announced in the couple of months I've been following the scene. I'm going to have to learn to admire some from afar! I'll be in for this one though as I'd like to try some DSA.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 07:28:58 »
Thanks!

Offline xantiema

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 10:39:42 »
Agreed, Mandolarian would be cool

Offline deeoh

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 10:40:41 »
Novelties look awesome!

Offline holtenc

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 20:13:22 »
I'm leaning more and more towards mandalorian alphas. But I wouldn't do it as the default alphas, instead an addon-kit. I'll get a mock up worked out.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 21:24:56 »
I'm leaning more and more towards mandalorian alphas. But I wouldn't do it as the default alphas, instead an addon-kit. I'll get a mock up worked out.
Awesome, I'm in for this set; SP S DSA or XDA, I'm ready! It's even funnier that I don't know muxh about Star Wars, but have always liked Baba Fett's appearance. He's got a anime/manga look. Again, so happy for this upcoming set!

Offline Cobertt

• Control on Caps
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 20:18:23 »
I need this in my life :]

You can bet I'd be in for a set.
HHKB Pro2 | Mira SE | FJELL | KARA HAZE | CW88 FNF WKL Wine | HHKB Prophet | Tengu | Prototype CW60 HHKB Skunkworxxx | Prototype K80 | Tokyo60 | Gingko65Midway LEKei | Frog TKL | Saturn60

Offline deeoh

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 22:03:18 »
Awesome, count me in!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 11:14:08 »
Has the modifier legend color been decided yet? If not, I'm partial to yellow or gray. The others don't seem to have enough contrast.

Offline Auk

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 12:11:18 »
Looks good  :)

re modifier legends: yellow looks the best, black is the worst

re alpha legends: I'm wondering how this would look with yellow or green, did you try those combinations already?

...Mandalorian

Excellent idea :thumb:

and as per so many other concepts being shown lately, would also love to see the Mandalorian with an icon modifier set!

Offline holtenc

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 14:54:54 »
Has the modifier legend color been decided yet? If not, I'm partial to yellow or gray. The others don't seem to have enough contrast.

Not final but I'm thinking gray. Before I place an order with SP I'm going to create an open poll to see what the majority seems to think, and also to gauge how many sets to order.

Looks good  :)

re modifier legends: yellow looks the best, black is the worst

re alpha legends: I'm wondering how this would look with yellow or green, did you try those combinations already?

...Mandalorian

Excellent idea :thumb:

and as per so many other concepts being shown lately, would also love to see the Mandalorian with an icon modifier set!

icon modifiers as in SPs standard icons, or crazy made up that go with mandalorian?  I'm about halfway done with the mandalorian alpha mock up. Got busy. I'll finish it next week and get it posted. This weekend I get to build the first real prototype/manufacturing sample of the Prime_L. mandalorian has to wait :P

Offline Auk

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 15:58:27 »
icon modifiers as in SPs standard icons, or crazy made up that go with mandalorian?

Some cool Mandalorian theme modifiers would be awesome, but cost may be the deciding factor here. If the set can be dye subbed, DSA or XDA, then you can go nuts. If it's a double shot set then you would need new molds for anything SP don't have. Is it $50 per mold at SP?

Offline holtenc

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 16:08:26 »
$50 per mold indeed.

Offline zslane

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 17:26:54 »
It is now $75 per legend plate.

However, you may want to consider going with XDA. Being a Chinese manufacturer, they will probably have little problem violating the Boba Fett image-likeness copyright Disney owns, whereas SP is likely to reject that novelty keycap.

Offline ns90

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 22:37:06 »
It is now $75 per legend plate.

However, you may want to consider going with XDA. Being a Chinese manufacturer, they will probably have little problem violating the Boba Fett image-likeness copyright Disney owns, whereas SP is likely to reject that novelty keycap.

It'll probably look nicer dye-subbed too.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 21:54:50 »
I vote for maroon on green one, more true to the bounty hunter image IMO. Need lower raise keys for planck tho. Oh and them pale blue spacebarkeys are missing too.

Really love these color :thumb: in fact I have a design close to this but glad somebody gonna make it <3

Offline holtenc

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 09:09:37 »
I vote for maroon on green one, more true to the bounty hunter image IMO. Need lower raise keys for planck tho. Oh and them pale blue spacebarkeys are missing too.

Really love these color :thumb: in fact I have a design close to this but glad somebody gonna make it <3

I just received the color samples from SP today. For a while I was leaning towards gray legends on green mods.. .but after having seen the samples in person I think the maroon on green will work just fine.

I was looking to do a mandalorian alpha set as well as keys that support all the typical standard layouts. It was going to be a pretty big set. And then I remembered my initial goal in making these sets. If someone else wants to tackle creating the set for standard layouts have at it! I'm just going to to do a small-ish run for 40-45% boards. 

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 10:18:11 »

I just received the color samples from SP today. For a while I was leaning towards gray legends on green mods.. .but after having seen the samples in person I think the maroon on green will work just fine.

I was looking to do a mandalorian alpha set as well as keys that support all the typical standard layouts. It was going to be a pretty big set. And then I remembered my initial goal in making these sets. If someone else wants to tackle creating the set for standard layouts have at it! I'm just going to to do a small-ish run for 40-45% boards.

There's always that difference when pairing color on screen and on real life. You got the right move getting those samples as now you can see the real outcome of it. Say, where do you think this will run on? MD? Your web?

Offline deeoh

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 10:49:44 »

What's the status of Mandalorian alphas?

Offline holtenc

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 13:21:16 »

There's always that difference when pairing color on screen and on real life. You got the right move getting those samples as now you can see the real outcome of it. Say, where do you think this will run on? MD? Your web?

I'll do it directly from my site. It's not going to be a group buy however. I don't think I can handle the headache and stress of a group buy . I'm just going to order a small number of sets, depending on the outcome of the poll I crated today.

https://goo.gl/forms/bJBIB2NWrUoMsoeI2

Unfortunately the mandalorian alphas and the novelty keys are out. I really wanted to do them but I just don't think I have time or resources to get it done. Also, someone else here made a good point about IP infringement on the novelties. I don't think Disney would both with it, but you never know.

Now, that being said, if someone else wants to take up the helm and do a huge group buy or approach massdrop on the idea, I have no doubt they would be able to handle the mandalorian stuff.

Offline deeoh

Re: [IC] DSA Bounty Hunter (updated 6/20/17, please have a look at the POLL
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 13:53:45 »

Unfortunately the mandalorian alphas and the novelty keys are out. I really wanted to do them but I just don't think I have time or resources to get it done. Also, someone else here made a good point about IP infringement on the novelties. I don't think Disney would both with it, but you never know.

Now, that being said, if someone else wants to take up the helm and do a huge group buy or approach massdrop on the idea, I have no doubt they would be able to handle the mandalorian stuff.

Understood. Maybe that's the motivation I've been waiting for...

Offline holtenc

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 14:05:52 »

Understood. Maybe that's the motivation I've been waiting for...

NICE. This is as far as I got with mandalorian:

Offline zeltner

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 14:12:58 »
I really like this set, but I can't commit to it without at least coverage for a standard 60% layout.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 14:56:18 »
understandable.

Offline holtenc

Re: [IC] DSA Bounty Hunter (updated 6/24/17)
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 11:20:30 »
Update: I have ordered a couple production samples: Green with maroon legends, and green with gray legends. They're expensive as #$%^ but I think it's better safe than sorry. I really think the maroon will look good but this should settle it.

Offline holtenc

Re: [IC] DSA Bounty Hunter (updated 7/15/17 with production samples)
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 14:15:37 »
Production samples in. Check top of OP, lemme know what yall think.

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 14:24:03 »
The green with maroon legends looks really good. I’d definitely be in for a set of these.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 14:30:32 »
awesome.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 15:38:55 »
Yep, I would buy for sure.  I agree that maroon looks better IRL than the gray.  I can't say that I would ever consider a 40% board though.  (I still don't understand these boards for anything other than gaming and chatting, but to each his own)

I don't want to pay over $100 to fit a 60% board.  Hopefully the price is right.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 18:00:11 »
we'll see. Here pretty quick I'm going to submit to SP for a quote. I'm afraid it won't be cheap due to low quantity. however, I won't be selling them for much of a mark-up, if any at all. So that should help keep the price down.