Author Topic: [IC] DSA Windbreaker  (Read 4949 times)

Offline monkeysontoast

• Editor, dork, human - powered by pizza & nostalgia
[IC] DSA Windbreaker
« on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 08:20:25 »

Hey, guys!

If you've been following the Massdrop Keycap Design Contest, you'll know that DSA Windbreaker did not make it to the finals.
However, during the course of the contest, Windbreaker seemed to capture a lot of interest, so I've decided to do a traditional interest check to see if we can get this baby made!  ;D

I took some initial feedback from Geekhack and added an alternate color kit so that you can choose to continue the gradient into the F-row, or choose a solid color for the F-row.

I'm going to work on getting a nice render made soon, but until then, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.
If there's a kit you'd like to see, do let me know, but in general, I'd like to keep this set simple and affordable.

Thanks for looking! - Meg

I am hoping to run DSA Windbreaker through Massdrop. The keycaps will be double-shot ABS, produced by SP, with the following colors:

(I photographed these chips with my phone and color corrected them to get as close as possible to how they look in person.
However, they are difficult to photograph accurately, as the colors vary a bit under different lighting conditions.
In general, the color chips are less bright than the KLE Renders, and the purple is a touch warmer).
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 October 2017, 08:46:46 by monkeysontoast »

Offline monkeysontoast

Re: [IC] DSA Windbreaker
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 08:42:11 »
The original inspiration for this design came from the Nike Flight windbreaker:

Of course, these colors were EVERYWHERE in the 90s!

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 13:10:56 »
I’m in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrambleTheBoar

• Keep it tight!
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 20:38:49 »
I'm all over this.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 21:07:10 »
Key wise, you have two duplicates in the non standard kit (~/‘ & |\). I’d also recommend changing the 3 1u Ctrl/Fn/Alt to Ctrl/Alt/Alt/Ctrl.

Personally not keen on gradient sets, but I think the colors work well together.

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 21:54:15 »
I’m in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome!  :)

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 21:54:33 »

Offline monkeysontoast

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 21:57:11 »
Key wise, you have two duplicates in the non standard kit (~/‘ & |\). I’d also recommend changing the 3 1u Ctrl/Fn/Alt to Ctrl/Alt/Alt/Ctrl.

Personally not keen on gradient sets, but I think the colors work well together.

Thank you, Xondat! You're very right about the duplicates. This is my first keyset, and I'm using the template MD used for their contest. Still figuring things out. Why do you recommend changing out the 1u keys in the non-standard? Again, this is a template provided by MD (aside from the alt colors and mac/win), and those are the keys in their template, which covers a variety of non-standard boards, as far as I know.

Again, thanks very much for the feedback!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 09:22:34 »

Thank you, Xondat! You're very right about the duplicates. This is my first keyset, and I'm using the template MD used for their contest. Still figuring things out. Why do you recommend changing out the 1u keys in the non-standard? Again, this is a template provided by MD (aside from the alt colors and mac/win), and those are the keys in their template, which covers a variety of non-standard boards, as far as I know.

Again, thanks very much for the feedback!

Some 1800 layouts use all 1us on the bottom row, so having 2 of each would cover it.

Offline Levan

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 11:03:59 »
Just like Kobe style

Offline trabbit

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 19:56:12 »
please do it!we will simply buy it!

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 15:30:57 »
Totally in.