Author Topic: So how is everyone feeling about Romer-G these days?  (Read 8126 times)

Offline Mkilbride

So how is everyone feeling about Romer-G these days?
« on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 14:11:57 »
Just curious. I love Logitech, but after switching to Mechanical years ago, I never could go them. Never owned a Logi keyboard, just their mice, and their G19's back in the day appealed to the eyes, but the price was waay too much. Now I'm older. Can afford better.

I have a CM Storm XT Cherry MX Red. had it since the tail end of 2013. Recently my ALT Key has been funny. Sometimes not registering. Sometimes opening up random menus for some reason. I'm not adept enough at soldering or the like to do a switch replacement and it's out of Warranty. It's overall been a great keyboard. I read it even used like DasKeyboard OEMS at the time of production. Cost me 80$ on sale.

I went Reds, because I primarily game and I've enjoyed them with over 100WPM. That's been fine, but I do tend to bottom out quite a lot over the years and started looking at browns. Same actuation force, but tactile, which might help me not bottom out, you know? Reduce finger fatigue. Plus tactile is always more satisfying. Then I looked at what Logitech has. Saw the G610 line, actual CherryMX in Red or Brown. only 69.99$ @ Amazo n or Best Buy. Full size too. RGB doesn't matter a bit to me. I'll never use it.  But I do love their Macro software.  So I looked at the G910 Spark / Spectrum and yes, it's gaudy as hell, but I've seen some refurbs go on sale for as low as 60$...but it uses Romer-G's. I've heard they're likes stiffer browns, and perhaps a tad mushy.  It has quite a bit of Macro keys, and barring the awful design looks to be solidly built. Aethetics don't matter much to me. 

Corsair interested me as well; but something is happening with their prices. The K70 was around 70$~ A few months ago for CherryMX red or brown. It was decently priced at that and it definitely had me thinking. However everywhere I look now it's 130-150$+, and I'm not gonna pay that for ****ing CORSAIR, whom I don't particularly like after some PSU bull****.

Full-sized keyboard matters to me to. I use my numpad.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: So how is everyone feeling about Romer-G these days?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 21:02:55 »
I have a G410.  Its a good keyboard, and what I primarily use for gaming.  The keycaps are by far the worst part about the keyboard.  They are your typical thin abs with matte like coating on top.  If they would use a higher quality keycap, the board would be so much better.  You can typically find them for pretty cheap used, I think there is one in the classifieds right now for $50 actually.  If you are looking for a keyboard beyond just gaming, I would look at other options.

Offline Mkilbride

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 21:34:53 »
Keycaps don't matter much to me. Just the switches.  I can find G410's for like 20-30$. G610's for like 50-60$. So yeah price isn't big.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 21:47:17 »
Keycaps don't matter much to me. Just the switches.  I can find G410's for like 20-30$. G610's for like 50-60$. So yeah price isn't big.

Damn, I didn't realize they were that cheap. Seems like something worth trying.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 21:59:56 »
on par with MX brown. so not very well. but hey they go cheap and are pretty quiet so whatever

Offline Mkilbride

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 22:14:17 »
You're saying they're equal to MX Brown, as if that is a bad thing? I haven't used Browns, but they're literally one of the most recommended and overall most popular Cherry flavor. I can't speak for them myself as I said, but I've heard they're like reds, except tactile, which doesn't sound too bad.  But I've heard mixed reports on Romer-G. 

I mean I saw the gaudy and horrific G910 Spark going for 60$ Refurbished. Almost went for it despite the terrible look, the only thing holding me back was not knowing about Romer-G. For the longest time I looked at the G900 / G903 and laughed at it's "Space Ship / Gamer look", then I used and it feels incredible in my hands. So I'm trying to open my mind more and get away from the "Gamer look = instant bad" mentality so many of us PC Peripheral Elitists cling to.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 22:39:35 »
You're saying they're equal to MX Brown, as if that is a bad thing? I haven't used Browns, but they're literally one of the most recommended and overall most popular Cherry flavor.

And French's "classic yellow" mustard is the most popular mustard (at least here in the US...), but that doesn't mean that **** is good.

I would personally rate browns as complete rubbish, but then a lot of people using them probably don't have anything besides cheap rubber dome boards to compare them to and I guess they probably seem OK if that's the competition.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 22:54:56 »
I am not  fan but they are not the worst I have tried. the caps just kill it for me.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 00:41:40 »
You're saying they're equal to MX Brown, as if that is a bad thing? I haven't used Browns, but they're literally one of the most recommended and overall most popular Cherry flavor.

And French's "classic yellow" mustard is the most popular mustard (at least here in the US...), but that doesn't mean that **** is good.

I would personally rate browns as complete rubbish, but then a lot of people using them probably don't have anything besides cheap rubber dome boards to compare them to and I guess they probably seem OK if that's the competition.

Spot on. Before I started this hobby I researched a ton and assumed browns were the best. Oh boy I’m glad I got blacks. After trying a plethora of stuff over the last six years, I still think browns are the saddest switch. Like a piece of sand in an mx red.

Offline Mkilbride

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 01:20:16 »
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/mechanical_switches.php

I had just been going by this and other reviews on google. The "overall" score shows Browns as the most preferred by MK Enthusiasts.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 02:47:23 »
i thought this was a joke tbh
I love Elzy

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 02:49:34 »
Are you 100% sure its the board causing the issue not the computer or some type of software? I ask cause the fact you said "Sometimes opening up random menus for some reason" There nothing other then a windows key that should be causing random windows to pop up even thats a stretch of the imagination. I would double check the board is indeed the issue perhaps using it on another computer. I would check out another keyboard on that PC. Though trying another board on the PC might not rule out software based issue. Since software can be tailored for a given keyboard... Hope this helps

Offline Kavik

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 03:35:47 »
My only experience with Romer-G was playing with a keyboard at Best Buy for a minute or two, but I did not like it. The travel distance seemed way too short and barely tactile. In fact, I'd suggest going to Best Buy and seeing if there are any keyboards on display that you can touch.

I've never used MX Browns in a full keyboard, only a switch tester, but I agree with others' sentiments that they are lackluster despite their popularity. MX Clears or Zealios would be a better choice for tactility; WASD Keyboards offer both of these as options if you want an off-the-shelf keyboard with them. I have used Zealios for gaming and rather like them in that function.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 05:27:36 »

Of course you'd justify your opinion that way.

I think broken in browns are some of the best switches out there...

I can definitely see why some people dislike them..especially if you're not a fast typist, they feel overly scratchy until they're broken in...

But this all comes back to it is just one persons opinion...

Back to Romer-Gs...technology is good...I don't really like the feel of the switch itself but it is decent enough.  I think the biggest issue is the keycaps that tend to come with them are junk...Find some good solid PBT keycaps and these might feel a lot better...

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 05:59:08 »
browns are definitely reds with sand in them that's pretty spot on
I love Elzy

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 06:27:09 »
browns are definitely reds with sand in them that's pretty spot on

POCKET SAND *throws MX Browns*

Offline duckboi

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 08:10:51 »
I've felt Romer-G and it was really scratchy, kinda on-par with my pre-retool reds that are the physical embodiment of sand in switch. I would say that if you can go for a better switch, that's a good idea. The lights are pretty though!  :D
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..