Author Topic: Portable Keyboard recs for a Cherry Blue user?  (Read 967 times)

Offline djones

Portable Keyboard recs for a Cherry Blue user?
« on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 00:35:34 »
I've been typing on cherry blue's (various, but my favorite is my filco tenkeyless) for ~7-8 years now. However, I'll be traveling a bit for work b/c of a new job and would like something that's a bit smaller more portable (thinner, mostly), hopefully with a hard-shell case or similar available.

Background: I got carpel tunnel ~10 years ago and went on a keyboard binge shortly after (see my forum registration date  :cool:), and settled on cherry browns and blues. I haven't really paid attention to the keyboard scene for ~5 years, mostly since I'm happy with blues, but also because they are much more readily available now (Rosewill has decent/acceptable cherry boards these days, not to mention the gamer-targeted boards). I tried and do not like the topres (hhkb, full sized topre's, etc), heavier keys like buckling springs or alps whites, or linear key switches like the Cherry blacks (though I hear reds are okay).

One thing that hasn't changed is that i can't type on a laptop for long (unless it's an old-school thinkpad-like scissor keyboards. chicklets, especially those with large spacing between the keys, instantly hurt my hand).

My ideal keyboard would be either a very small cherry blue switch board, or a close approximate. Cherry browns would be okay. Being quieter and/or wireless would be a bonus. My budget is on the mid/high-end. If I can find something under $200 I'd be happy, around $100 I'd be ecstatic (esp since I'd buy multiple). "full width", meaning around 11.25" from left to right edge of the main keys is also a high priority. I know I can't have both 4mm key travel and a thin board, but as much key travel would be nice too.

With that said, questions:

• Does my 'ideal' keyboard exist?
  • What are the options for the smaller form factor cherry blues today? Meaning those without a numpad/arrow keys/function keys/etc, but otherwise with full sized key caps and normal cherry blue switch?
  • Are there any that are thinner? All cherry keyboards i've seen are around 1.5 inches at it's tallest point, but as I said I haven't looked at recent keyboards.
  • Are there any alternate switches I should be looking at? Ie, those with similar actuation and 'clickyness' of blues.

EDIT: I just looked through the sticky and found the keychatter website, I will look through that as well...
EDIT 2: I think question #1 and #2 are mostly answered by the keychatter buyer's guide, but I'd like input on 3&4 still.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 March 2018, 00:58:11 by djones »

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
Re: Portable Keyboard recs for a Cherry Blue user?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 05:10:59 »
I'm using a 60% Gateron Browns keyboard for travel. With a cheapo plastic case, basic aluminum plate, and a Satan 60% PCB inside I paid around 100 dollars excluding keycaps. With keycaps you're looking at around 125-175 dollars. Gateron Browns are closer to MX Blues when compared to MX Browns in my opinion (and are less noisy than blues of course).

This would, of course, mean soldering and assembly unless you can find some prebuilt 60% with MX Blues or something you'd like. For wireless, I would recommend checking out Anne Pro from the prebuilt ones. Not sure if good wireless DIY kits exist.

Cherry has announced some low-profile switches so maybe check out those as well. Kailh has some low-profile switches available but getting keycaps for those is a bit difficult as the stem is not MX-style.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline llisandro

Re: Portable Keyboard recs for a Cherry Blue user?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 10:24:55 »
If thin is the priority, perhaps some of those kailh low-profile switches like this? there are a few custom projects with those switches but IIRC they were Orthos?

That 60% Matias would be interesting, when it arrives.