Author Topic: Standing desk experiences?  (Read 12107 times)

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
Standing desk experiences?
« on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 23:09:50 »
Just ordered an electric adjustable standing desk, it wont be here for two weeks though.

Anyone have any tips or experiences they want to share using an adjustable standing desk?
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards

Offline regallegion

Re: Standing desk experiences?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 23:54:46 »
I got the opportunity to use a standing desk over the summer at work, pretty interesting experience. Some things I wish I knew going in:

* When adjusting your desk, also look at how your chair is set up. I went two to three weeks with my chair in a very reclined and comfy position, but having the back brought forward and the desk brought a little lower immensely improved my comfort.
* When looking at standing height, take into account that your feet with get tired and you will naturally start to change position. For me this meant having the desk a little lower than I thought it should be, however when I would move my feet around, I found that setup to be the most comfortable.
* Lastly don't be afraid to try a setting that seems a little uncomfortable at first, the discomfort could actually be you just adjusting to not having good posture before getting the desk.

This all being said, dont strain yourself. If you have a presets option, set a good height for standing and a good sitting height and gradually work your way to standing all the time with intervals of standing and sitting. I found the desk I had to be very comfortable and I hope yours is too!

Offline lowmagnet

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 20:59:49 »
I ended up getting a corner-shaped standing desk from varidesk and have been using it for 2 weeks now. I'm up and down as my needs suit me, and I'm finding it natural to stand and think. Does wonders for my wakefulness to move and shift balance to stay awake and energized.

It's not electric, and instead uses latches to lock to some hidden preset heights. Plenty of them and fairly regular intervals though, and it really should work for many heights of worker.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 21:17:12 »
ive always wanted one, but so expensive ;_;
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline MajorMajor

• Coding Supply
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 00:39:38 »
I found one on sale, seems like it will be a pretty good deal.

http://www.wayfair.com/Premium-DIY-Standing-Desk-Kit-A1-A2-A3-VFH1675.html

Looks like it arrives Thursday, I'll need to pick up a desk top for it before then. I hear Ikea has some stuff that can work.

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 13:10:30 »
I have an adjustable desk (manual one) and I used to use it as a permanent standing desk. I didn't like it. Standing all day, every day, was too mush for my legs, especially if had been doing exercise the day before or had a leg injury. The last straw was when I got a hip injury and using a standing desk slowed down recovery a lot. I also used to get swollen ankles from standing too long. I now use it as a sitting desk and have regular pomodoro breaks where I get up and move about for a bit. Having a manually adjustable desk made it too much effort to keep moving it from standing to sitting.

My advice would be to get an electronic one and don't spend too much time standing (or sitting).

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 13:15:15 »
I don't have a standing desk but I have a job that keeps me on my feet about 50% of the time and I can say that the days when I'm up and down are much less fatiguing than those with extended sitting sessions. If I had more of those long sitting days I would definitely consider a standing desk.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 13:28:22 »
I had to use one for about 3 years after a massive injury. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is worth it. Whatever you do, though, don't stand completely still while using; try to constantly adjust your stance, lift legs, ankle raise, etc.

I did an ikea hack with stainless steel bar table legs and a cheapo top. $100.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 13:46:56 »
I eventually want to get a standing desk, but I decided to try out the cheap route first - I ordered a laptop stand, kinda like this ( http://www.amazon.com/Executive-Office-Solutions-Mount-Notebook-Macbook-Light-Sitting-Black/dp/B00RQ3JQMM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1447011807&sr=8-8&keywords=laptop+stand ). I set the height to where it was somewhat comfortable from a standing position and set my mouse and keyboard on it. I also set my monitors on some textbooks to where it's about eye-level.

Somewhat of a pain to set up when I want to switch to standing, but it sorta works!

Offline tbc

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 14:06:56 »
Whatever you do, though, don't stand completely still while using; try to constantly adjust your stance, lift legs, ankle raise, etc.

this

to add on, if you haven't left your desk for 3 hours, you're duingitrong. srsly, washroom break; stop using pee bottles.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 19:06:28 »
Opted for a cheap diy. Im sitted at work anyway so Im ok for this fixed setup at home. But agree with everyone - move around.

116720-0

Offline gabba-gool

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 08:45:16 »
I use a standing desk at work quite often. It's a game changer for sure. Best times to use it are before and after lunch, for me. Helps the digestion. It can get a little uncomfortable to type sometimes but I attribute that to many years of bad posture habits. My grafiti wrist rests help a lot if/when I bring them to work.

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 16:25:25 »
Best times to use it are before and after lunch, for me. Helps the digestion.

Definitely agree with this. Sitting down after lunch always gave me heartburn, but I never got heartburn with a standing desk.

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 16:42:37 »
I haven't used a standing desk but I've read a few suggestions about getting an anti-fatigue mat. Any of y'all standing desk users have one? Does it actually work?
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 20:15:06 »
I haven't used a standing desk but I've read a few suggestions about getting an anti-fatigue mat. Any of y'all standing desk users have one? Does it actually work?

I think most have one. Its either that or a good comfortable shoes. And yes it works based on my experience, helps delay the fatigue. Can't use my desk w/o them ;barefoot-ed most of the time at home.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 08:14:52 »
I had to use one for about 3 years after a massive injury. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is worth it. Whatever you do, though, don't stand completely still while using; try to constantly adjust your stance, lift legs, ankle raise, etc.

I did an ikea hack with stainless steel bar table legs and a cheapo top. $100.

Show Image

What sort of injury was that? Is it better to stand, in your condition?

Offline MajorMajor

• Coding Supply
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 20:01:57 »
Got my desk base today, it's an electric adjustable base.

Picked up a birch wood counter top from Ikea that I'll use as a table top for it. In the process of treating the top with some layers of oil/finisher, the wood looks beautiful. I'll post some pics later once I get it put together.

Offline jeffgran

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 01:11:11 »
My employer just moved to a new office with all new furniture, and we all got motorized stand/sit desks. I like it. I usually start the day standing and most of the time leave it like that all day. Other times I'm just having a lethargic day and sit down for most of it.

I'll echo the recommendation to keep moving around while you stand up.

My tip to do so is that I keep a little bouncy ball on my desk, and when I'm thinking, or when I'm waiting for something to load/run/whatever I pick it up, take a few steps while bouncing it off the ground. It's kinda fun, it's quiet, doesn't disturb anybody, and gets me to move a little every few minutes.

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 15:11:11 »
I use a normal desk with another desk on it (yo dawg). This gives an intermediate level I can rest one of the legs on. Either place a foot there, ending up in stretching the pelvis tendons, or get a pillow and rest the shin on it.

It really helps, I'm able to change position, balance, keep the spine moving, and take the load off one of the legs at a time.

I've got an Ikea adjustable desk, but stopped using it since I couldn't rest legs on it like that.

Friend of mine uses a bar stool with a standing desk. It works pretty well too, thinking about getting one.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 15:05:34 »
At some point i kind of want to set up a second desk with a second computer and my soldering equipment and ill probably make it standing, for my main desk i deffinitly just want a decent chair, but for my work desk i think id much prefer standing. I have a little bit of experience with useing a standing desk and using it for 4 ish hours a day and it was pretty nice.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline Altis

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 17:02:03 »
I have a standing desk right next to my regular desk. It was only $250 Canadian or so from IKEA and is very sturdy and manually adjusts up and down (takes about 90 seconds to get up or down).

I really like the standing desk for most computer work and even some writing tasks. It's nice when you're coming and going a lot (like you would in an office).

I use my other desk for gaming as I don't want to stand while doing that.

I'd say the best part is that my posture is better when I'm at the standing desk, which at first is a bit tiring but gets easier as your posture improves. It's also really nice when you're working on something (like modding a keyboard).

I'm not sure I'd want to spend 8 hours solid standing at a desk though and I'd recommend getting a tall chair that will allow you to rest. Just make sure it can also be lowered for when you lower the desk.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Moratorius

• Kyle Chong
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 18:18:26 »
A standing mat definitely helps, but like others have mentioned, you shouldn't stand still for long periods of time.  I have a Topo standing mat which has nubs and ridges to encourage movement.
HHKB Type-S, Topre Realforce 87UB (55g)

Offline glitchathon

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:44:59 »
I have tried standing and ended up finding the best position to be sitting on a high stool with no back. They call it "perched", sit/stand, or active sitting. I use a Varier Move stool but there are plenty of other alternatives for it. It takes getting used to. Good to do no more than 15 min at a time at first. I can now sit all day on it.

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 20:31:07 »
Moving to a standing desk has been a great change for me. Some advice to those who are thinking of making the switch ... don't go for a desk that allows you to sit or stand. You'll end up sitting. Just put your desk on some bed-risers or blocks.

One thing that no one told me about a standing desk is that, if you work with headphones and music, that you're probably going to dance while you work ... I'm glad that my standing dance is at home because my dancing abilities are stereotypically white.

Another aspect is weightloss -- I've been struggling to lose weight for the past several years because my job requires me to sit at a desk for several hours a day. A week on at a standing desk and I started to lose weight. It makes working far more active. I'm not promising that everyone will have the same results, but I can't imagine another outcome of taking away sitting at a desk for several hours a day and then replacing it with standing for several hours a day.

Offline CoolGrayAJ

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 03:12:01 »
I have an adjustable desk at work, and contrary to what some people have said, I do find a need to switch between standing and sitting pretty often.

I can't ever sit still all the time, so having the option to stand helps. Also, I ALWAYS have music on, and dont give a damn if anyone's watching. Ever.

HHKB         Razer BlackWidow     Steelseries 6gv2         Logitech G710+
                   Evil Geniuses Edition   MX Red & Brown

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 04:57:08 »
I've been using a standing desk of my own creation for about 6 months now at home and still use a regular desk at work.
As I understand it, and my experience matches this, a standing desk works in part because it keeps your hips straight and this in turn aligns the spine. The downside to this is that it loads the spine and the legs more. This means you still need to take regular breaks to walk, sit, lie down or even decompress your spine if you're into that! Something like an anti-fatigue mat or a sit-stand chair can help too. Adding a mat alone improved my stamina at my desk by about 50%. I even game at my standing desk without problems, a concern I see raised sometimes. Take a quick break between rounds (which is a good idea anyway) and you'll be fine.
In writing this, I've had an idea! The pomodoro technique could serve the additional purpose of giving you a break from the static position at a desk (standing or otherwise) as well as from the work. I might experiment with that.
EDIT: The pomodoro was already mentioned! Still, a nice idea and I'll be experimenting with it.
tl;dr A standing desk is great, but it's not a magic pill. Users' mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2016, 05:05:39 by The Mick-a-nator »

Offline pitchshifter

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 00:35:22 »
+1 for Varidesk. After using one for the past few months, I think it's actually better than an electronic one since it's so fast to adjust up and down, which seems conducive to actually changing from sitting to standing during the day and therefore adjusting your position more.

I have the Pro Plus 36 (anyone looking at one, don't get the flat non-Pro versions if you plan on using an external keyboard, pretty much useless as experienced from the other guys' choices at work due to the lack of depth of workspace) plus their dual monitor arms. More expensive than the 50 buck single arm I have at home, but so much better made and easier to adjust.

Kind of off-topic but yes, standing desks are great. Now I need to get one for home....   :rolleyes:

Offline Altis

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:20:00 »
I have to give my praise for my standing/sitting desk that I got last fall.

It's the IKEA SKARSTA desk found here (Note: IKEA Canada website):

[/url]http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S49084965/[/url]

It's only CAD $260 (around $200 USD), solid as a rock, and goes up/down effortlessly in around 60 seconds. The hand crank tucks away nicely and it wasn't difficult to put together.

I can't recommend it enough. If you find you don't like standing, just sit. I like it especially since whenever the better half is using it, she can have it how she likes it.

As far as using a standing desk goes, I really like it. I think it would be even better at work than at home because you get to move around more and it just feels more involved in the environment around you. It's kind of like having a seat at the bar instead of a table at a restaurant -- there's something inviting about it to others and it makes it easy for people to pull up next to you and collaborate.

I also find standing improves the posture a bit but it does get tiring, even still, for me. Then again, I'm on my feet for much of the day so that makes me less likely to use the standing desk when I get home.

I much, much prefer the standing position when working on projects and tinkering. It allows you to move about much easier and get better angles and positions.

For $260, I'm hoping to get another one to replace this other IKEA desk that I have. It's the typical desk you see but I have the extending legs. However, they are only really sturdy when retracted. I find them way too wobbly to be used while standing, and each leg has to be extended individually. At least this newer model of it allows you to twist, extend, then twist again to lock (hopefully at the same height as the others!). The older ones that I have (only a few years old) had to be unscrewed the whole way, and I'm not exaggerating when I estimate that it takes 500-1000 turns to get them to raise (each leg!) -- and then at full height, they had around 1 inch of play so the desk felt like a drunk.

That's my experience with them so far. I'm a big fan for sure, but I do like to be able to sit if it's a computer you'll be at for long periods of time.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline superbia

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 16:01:33 »
never opt for a standing desk if you used a sitting one for your whole life...
Espiceally if you dont have a olympic body (based on strong negative personal experience)
Rather start running/walking in your spare time, and have a walk every 1 hour while you sitting on your pc...
Keebio Iris 2.8 (Alps) X Colemak Mod-DH

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 12:40:20 »
I've got a standing desk at home, and a makeshift standing desk with ikea tables at work, much like davkol in this thread. (OT, but you can turn these tables into makeshift racks)
The standing desk seems worse. I tend to rest against it with my abdomen, which is really bad for my spine in the long run.

The ikea setup forces a distance, so I don't do that.

Also found out that putting my weight on the toes is pretty relaxing, so that the muscles on the legs are slightly tensioned. Otherwise I default to resting my body weight on the heels, and feet start aching pretty quickly.

Anyway. I have some spine problems, and after switching to a standing setup things got much better.

Offline mikew0w

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 13:08:21 »

I have the Imprint CumulusPRO. I cant stand and work with out it but I have a lot of foot and ankle problems
http://amzn.to/1oHIrWq

My standing 'desk' is the ErgoTron Workfit-S dual: http://amzn.to/1mY3nXr
I really like it and switch from sitting to standing several times a day.
Everyone else at work who has a standing desk has the vari-desk line. I didn't like how much real-estate it takes up.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 19:06:01 »
Floor mat is a must. I worked in fast food restaurant before, standing 8 hr a day ;)

Offline venyv

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 07:48:46 »
I have one at work and just ordered one for home. I use it more for adjusting the desk when sitting, I like my desk high since I am taller then most. I do use it for standing but it seems like it is a little short for me standing. A good matt helps when standing for long periods of time.