geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

HELP me find the type of keycaps here...

(1/1)

macgeekie:
New here... love the key caps! I have a MacBook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz and my keys are standard and worn (shiny). I'd like to update it with a new set (without replacing the entire keyboard). I know it can be done but where to find them and find the correct rev. I know plenty are sold on eBay and they are china crap (sorry peeps) and not the same scissors or plastic key cap.

dorkvader:
Hi, I work at an apple-authorized service provider. Your Macbook pro unibody is interesting, as to replace the keyboard, one has to disassemble it completely, and put all the parts in a new top case. The non-unibody macbook pros, you can actually just swap out the keyboards (though this isn't recommended by Apple: they only sell the full top case).

The biggest issue is making sure the keys fit. We had one customer who provided some keycaps to swap out on his, but one was the wrong size. Ofcourse, all the alphanumeric keys should be the same size (no guarantees though, try to get ones from the same model mackbook pro). The biggest issue is normally for the function keys at the top.

And, if you want a 100% new set, from apple, they will sell a new top case for something like $200. My work would also charge you $100 in labor to install it.

dorkvader:
All the 13" MBP's are unibody, so it'd have to be from 2009 or later (the '08 models were only 15" and 17") A quick wikipedia search says that 2.26 gHz was only offered on the 13" model in the "mid 2009" release. The apple-model number should be "MacBookPro5,5"

Solanin:
That's why I'll never buy a macbook @@

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version