Author Topic: Open Source 60% Alps Plates  (Read 94044 times)

Offline droideggs

Re: Open Source 60% Alps Plates
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 21:21:04 »
I had the Tai-Hao plate made and found one issue: the stab cutouts on the right shift are just a bit too far apart. I ended up having to cut my own stab wire from a spare space bar wire.

had same issue as well. in the meantime for those that want to use the tai hao design plate, don't. the right stab cutouts are too wide part from each other. i suppose the only way to fix this is to make your own stab wire which seems difficult to do.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 14:14:30 »
Anyone worked on plate for Acer stabs before ?

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 00:45:23 »
Anyone wanna make a layout for the Focus FK-5001? I'd just need a user with the board to measure out the dimensions for the BAE key, and someone to help me with custom geometry for the stabs. Let's get some more layouts on the sticky since alps are becoming more popular!

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 09:37:33 »
Is the Tai-Hao plate compatible with the Alps64 PCB? I'd very much like to get into the 60% Alps business.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 18:23:35 »
Is the Tai-Hao plate compatible with the Alps64 PCB? I'd very much like to get into the 60% Alps business.

The pcb supports the layout, but note that some of people reported issue on right shift. They didn't give precise description enough to identify the issue so far unfortunately.
It seems to work with standard Alps stabs got from such AEK or DELL while I guess they used ones come form somehwere else.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82916.msg2641207#msg2641207

Offline joshualuo7

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 01:11:36 »
Does the Dell AT101 plate also support SGI granite caps? Thanks!

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 05:02:46 »
HELLO dear FRIENDS,

I will build a 60% ALP board after summer and I am collecting part atm... so far I got

ALP YELLOW
PCB 60% https://imgur.com/a/uKABxgf
Keycaps I found is for ALPS but space key got cherry stab hole with ALP switch hole in the middle, see pic... https://imgur.com/a/tCodu7R

The problem I am having is I want a CAD file to plate that will support normal ANSI layout of alp style.
The space key seems like to be 6.25u and it is only the spacekey who got the mx stab style while the rest got alp style of stabs.

I am really bad witch coding and 3d modeling anyone who can help me? :)

Offline Sheva000

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 22:10:38 »
I had the Tai-Hao plate made and found one issue: the stab cutouts on the right shift are just a bit too far apart. I ended up having to cut my own stab wire from a spare space bar wire.

had same issue as well. in the meantime for those that want to use the tai hao design plate, don't. the right stab cutouts are too wide part from each other. i suppose the only way to fix this is to make your own stab wire which seems difficult to do.

Can someone help edit the Tai Hao plate
i think just shorten the distance of the right shift stab by 3mm, then all the problem should be solved.

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 17:24:09 »
I have 3D printed several of the Tai-Hao plates and con confirm the right-shift problem, both with Matias and Dell AT101W right shift stab wires. Both clip holes appear to be too far away from the switch hole, not just one.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 03:40:02 »
https://www117.zippyshare.com/v/B7oPE7dD/file.html

Here is a layout I am using. 5140 Alphas, bottom row from a Focus FK-5001, and some odds and ends from an AT101W keyset. Posted the DXF if anyone wants it.

Offline Wojciech

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 07:54:09 »
Does anyone have files for HHKB plate with 7u spacebar and Alps style stabiliser?

Offline ramon0xff

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 02:59:49 »
Hey guys, I have a little problem and it would be grat if you could help me out with it. So I kind of impulsively bought a set of dcs alpine winter and matias switches before putting my research in a plate and stabilizers. My question would now be if somebody knows how to make a ISO plate, that also has a HHKB layout and if there is such a thing(because I didn't find it anywhere) which stabilzers do I have to use with it? The alpine winter set is kind of strange because it has mx mounts for the stabilizers, could I just use Matias stabilizers and put mx inserts in it?

I don't think anyone has made an ISO plate for the Alps64 yet, so I don't know which stabilizers you would use. I guess we just need an ISO AEKII or AT102 plate to look at.

And yes, you can use Matias stabilizers with the MX inserts for Alpine Winter.

I did. For use with AT102W caps. Due to a variety of reasons I have not managed to complete the build, but tested the plate with switches and caps and they work fine. Swills tool will not generate correctly spaced holes for the ISO enter switch position, possibly due to non-standard stem spacing on the cap itself, so I modified the plate manually with the help of some calipers and access to the original AT102W plate for measurement.

Show Image

If you don’t mind sharing those measurements, I can modify the AT101W plate and make a pull request to emdude’s Github to add it to the collection.

Sorry I'm away on vacation until after CNY holidays, will put a reminder in for when I come back

That would be great, thank you.

I think this is the one

Just used the plate for my build. Worked quite right with a Dell AT102W black except for the right shift stabilizer size, which is a bit smaller.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 20 April 2019, 13:05:59 »
Does anyone have a plate file for a AT101 plate with proper stabilizer cutouts & possibly no switch cutout between the ctrl & alt keys? I would be extremely grateful if someone does & could share it with me. I don't trust using KLE raw data since it either shifts the caps lock cutout either to far to the left with the stepped option or to far to the right with the normal caps spacing on swillkb & I'd assume also on ai03. I was gonna use the file provided at the beginning of this thread, but I seen that the r shift stabilizer cutouts are placed too wide & have no ideal how to fix that myself. :(

Offline mounds

• Builder of things and stuff
    • The Mounds Abides
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 16:28:20 »
Heyo fellow ALPS gents, looking to get an HHKB-esque style plate cut for an incoming Ortek MCK-101 set.

The layout was similar enough to the FAE IBM 5140 so I borrowed from that design, and then compared details of the full-sized right shift on the AT101, as well as spacing on the HHKB layout for outer 1u on the bottom row.

Can you guys take a look at the dxf and give some advice? This is a rough draft, as I'm not sure of the space stabilizers at this point. I have a set mounted to an HHKB style housing and plate right now, but I can't say for certain it's the original space bar. Unfortunately I didn't take part in that beauty, just got it on r/mm for a reasonable rate :) I don't have the heart to rip a compliant shift from another kit just to satisfy the core HHKB aesthetic so... it's a compromise for the sake of the Ortek set (and the community).

I'd like to commit it to the repo if the design pans out. These Ortek caps are pretty nice, with rgb mods, and often different pad-printed sub legends (JP and RU variants pop up from time to time).

EDIT: got some more info from another user who mounted similar keycaps. These caps use a quirky double costar stabilizer system for the BAE, and costar for the space. I'm still awaiting the donor board to confirm and adjust the design. Interestingly enough, the board he used was a completely different model yet layout and design were nearly identical, meaning there are likely many design clones out there.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2019, 12:37:43 by mounds »
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)

Offline pmsingchicken

« Reply #164 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 18:09:38 »
Hi guys, I tried making a plate for to Focus FK-2001 using a 6.5 AEK space bar. by mashing together a few other plate files. I have no idea what I'm doing, can someone take a look before I try to get a plate made. Much help appreciated.

I also want to try to make it with a 7u space bar, don't know if it works with alps64. I need to do some more research.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2019, 18:21:28 by pmsingchicken »

Offline babyfeets

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 23:17:58 »
I can contribute slightly:

AT101 plate
Here's some AT101W info about the right shift location on stock plate, stock caps, and TH caps. If this doesn't clear up the mismatch I could do a mockup assembly later and see if it gets wonky on the stock plate.
https://imgur.com/L2cieWS
https://imgur.com/tQ7BmwG
https://imgur.com/wfnGnG9
Plate cutting is shelved because I either need to replace the XD60v3 or the partially stepped caps plate and I haven't decided yet. I have both caps keys from TH nice.

plate for Focus FK-2001
Here's a picture of my FK-2001 stock plate, the spacebar stabs look like ReDsNoTDeAd's above. Just to confirm your work.
https://imgur.com/dBVVZf0

Mind you, my measurements are with a plastic calipers so any fractional millimeters would not be accurate.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 20:23:59 »
babyfeets, thank you for the pics.

I updated emdude's 'Dell AT101' file in the first post and fixed right shift stab cutouts to 37mm width.
Any AT101, AT101W keycap and stab is not available in hand and I can't confirm the fix myself. It would be appreciated if someone can test it.

emdude's right shift stab width is 40.5mm in AT101, AT101W and TAIHAO plates, all of them should be fixed as well probably.

EDIT: This data can causes problem on stab holes of space bar. See this post. (2020-06-27)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82916.msg2924430#msg2924430

And this fix is not needed for stab sourced from SGI AT101(also Dell AT101).(2020-07-04)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82916.msg2928134#msg2928134
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2020, 08:54:58 by hasu »

Offline mounds

• Builder of things and stuff
    • The Mounds Abides
« Reply #167 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 05:29:31 »

I updated emdude's 'Dell AT101' file in the first post and fixed right shift stab cutouts to 37mm width.
Any AT101, AT101W keycap and stab is not available in hand and I can't confirm the fix myself. It would be appreciated if someone can test it.

emdude's right shift stab width is 40.5mm in AT101, AT101W and TAIHAO plates, all of them should be fixed as well probably.

Came back here to confirm this. Gave up on the Ortek stuff after being swindled and cut TaiHao... now have a nice brass plate that doesn't work :rip:
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #168 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 19:28:40 »

Any chance you could do an updated Tai hao plate with the right shift corrected?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 05:17:43 »

Any chance you could do an updated Tai hao plate with the right shift corrected?

If you have keycap and stab and can get plate to test this I will do for you.

Can you share dimensions of your keycap and stab like this post?
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82916.msg2770715#msg2770715

« Reply #170 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 07:05:55 »
Came back to say you can make a working 60% Tai-Hao plate with swill's plate builder.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #171 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 08:01:46 »

If you have keycap and stab and can get plate to test this I will do for you.

Can you share dimensions of your keycap and stab like this post?
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82916.msg2770715#msg2770715

Awesome i really appreciate that. I don't have the caps on hand but will get them on order and update with info (could be a while with the China slowdown)

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #172 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 08:04:53 »
Came back to say you can make a working 60% Tai-Hao plate with swill's plate builder.

Are you using the cherry/costar combo option?

« Reply #173 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 12:13:57 »
For the spacebar, I use a Costar only mount and Alps for the rest (so I can use a Matias stab set) you can alternatively use a Cherry stab for the spacebar.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2020, 12:15:37 by abrahamstechnology »

« Reply #174 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 12:19:30 »
To accomplish a Costar stab for your spacebar, set the rest to Alps and edit the spacebar in the raw data like someone showed me earlier:
Add _s:3 to your spacebar, e.g. {a:7,w:6.25,_s:3}

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #175 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 11:44:33 »
Is their a textless version of the aek plate design? The company I am looking to send it to does not want anything but the cuts and I dont know how to edit. Also I assume the dxf is already to scale?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 16:26:43 »
Which file are you referring to?
And what company are you going to use?

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #177 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 18:50:26 »
Which file are you referring to?
And what company are you going to use?

The aek64 standard plate dxf and sendcutsend

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 18:57:03 »
Can you share the aek64 file? I want to see what the company quote page says.

EDIT: Ah, you mean this file on the post post?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tmk/alps64/Plate_AEK_RevA/alps64_aek_plate.dxf
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2020, 19:01:16 by hasu »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 19:53:22 »
I forgot the file includes the dimension drawings and just found them again. I don't have file without the drawings now.
I'll update the file some later.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tmk/alps64/Plate_AEK_RevA/alps64_aek_plate.dxf
EDIT: Updated.

Instead, you can use this newer design file.  Also check 'Plate' section in the first post of Alps64 PCB thread.
The file seems to work with sendcutsend.com.

https://github.com/tmk/alps64_plate/blob/plate_aek_flip_spacebar/alps64_plate_aek_flip_spacebar.dxf
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69740.0
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 00:27:15 by hasu »

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 07:29:50 »
I forgot the file includes the dimension drawings and just found them again. I don't have file without the drawings now.
I'll update the file some later.
EDIT: Updated.

Instead, you can use this newer design file.  Also check 'Plate' section in the first post of Alps64 PCB thread.
The file seems to work with sendcutsend.com.

https://github.com/tmk/alps64_plate/blob/plate_aek_flip_spacebar/alps64_plate_aek_flip_spacebar.dxf
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69740.0

Thanks so much for the help! I will try it out.

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 08:09:10 »
This seems to be a great resource! It's amazing what people can do when they put their minds to it 🤓

I'm hoping someone can confirm this: the Dell AT101 (7u Space Bar, Stepped Caps Lock) is the layout I should choose in order to support SGI's Granite keyboard, yes?

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 12:10:08 »
Also, does anyone know what I should put for the height, width, and path length for the AT101 on Lasergist?

And 1.2mm is the correct thickness for snug-fitting Alps switches?

Update:

I just discovered LaserBoost, and when I upload the `.dxf` file for the AT101, it outputs 95mm, 285mm, and 4458mm for height, width, and total path, respectively. Does this seem about right to you guys?
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2020, 12:26:13 by toniwonkanobi »

Offline Applet

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 16:09:02 »
I agree, the open source plates is a great asset. All the open source work is one of the things I like about keebs  ;D

- AT101 for 7u bottom row should work with SGI Granite as far as I know.
- 1.2mm is correct.
- Size sounds correct, you can always drop them an email regarding total path.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 18:03:09 »
This seems to be a great resource! It's amazing what people can do when they put their minds to it 🤓

I'm hoping someone can confirm this: the Dell AT101 (7u Space Bar, Stepped Caps Lock) is the layout I should choose in order to support SGI's Granite keyboard, yes?

As fa as I know people have reported that the design file in the first post has problem on right shift key stab.
You will have to skim this thread and check yourself before placing order.

This is file with change on the key by me but it is not confirmed yet.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82916.msg2771385#msg2771385

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #185 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 10:17:05 »
Hey all. I ordered from LaserBoost an aluminum plate for my Alps build with SGI “Granite” keycaps (using the dxf for a Dell AT101, 7U spacebar). I’m a little concerned that without some metal along the bottom edge, there’s nothing to stabilize the stabilizer clips (for the space bar).

Has anyone built a similar board? If so, how are the stabilizer clips for the spacebar?

(I don’t think LaserBoost messed up; there appears to be no metal along the bottom edge in the SVGs either.)

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 10:19:06 »
This seems to be a great resource! It's amazing what people can do when they put their minds to it

As fa as I know people have reported that the design file in the first post has problem on right shift key stab.
You will have to skim this thread and check yourself before placing order.

This is file with change on the key by me but it is not confirmed yet.

Oh man. I just saw this reply. I assume no one updated the first post because it hasn’t been tested yet? Bummer. I hope I didn’t waste $80.

Update: Looks like this is only an issue for the Tai-Hao (6.25u Space Bar, Unstepped Caps Lock) version?
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 June 2020, 11:04:28 by toniwonkanobi »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 07:45:46 »
toniwonkanobi,

It's a shame.

That thin part is just 0.1171mm, it doesn't seems to be enough margin and safe in all situations. I can't remember this was reported by others before. I'll be able to fix it when I get time.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82916.msg2231722#msg2231722

Did you use this data file for the order, or one in the first post? Right shift stabilizers works?

Let us know if you find any other problem.

OP is not active here and on github anymore, we will need new thread(or new github repo/wiki?) to maintain and share infos easily with the community and new comers.

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #188 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 13:02:01 »
toniwonkanobi,

It's a shame.

That thin part is just 0.1171mm, it doesn't seems to be enough margin and safe in all situations. I can't remember this was reported by others before. I'll be able to fix it when I get time.

Did you use this data file for the order, or one in the first post? Right shift stabilizers works?

OP is not active here and on github anymore, we will need new thread(or new github repo/wiki?) to maintain and share infos easily with the community and new comers.

I think the data file in that message you linked is the same file as the AT101 in the first post, because you said you were going to update the first post right?

And I can confirm the RShift stabilizers fit well enough. I only had an AEK mods RShift to test (even though the plate was made for the SGI Granite keycap set):

But yeah, that ~0.11mm that’s supposed to be on the bottom is super janky. Not sure if that’s a LaserBoost mess up or not? I’ll be honest: I’m a little disappointed with their product in general. I know it’s just 1.2mm aluminum, but it’s super bendy, and there’s not an even margin of metal on the top of the plate. The cutouts for the stabilizer clips are not clean, and obviously it’s sad they couldn’t do the ~0.11mm bottom section. It would be interesting to know whether anyone has successful contracted a manufacturer to make a plate with that little metal on the bottom. I also wonder if I should have done 1.3mm for thickness rather than 1.2mm? The switches easily come out when I pull off a keycap. I think the Lunar’s integrated plate is maybe 1.4mm? Those switches are hard to get out. Not sure if that’s the issue. None of my switches I tested and broken tabs or anything. Overall, pretty disappointed. Maybe I can get a refund from LaserBoost and just try with LaserGist instead? I’ll report back.

Update: LaserBoost replied and will refund me (or, with some GH community help, maybe we can figure out the bottom portion)? Would just adding like 1mm to the bottom of the plate (to close those stab clip cutouts prevent them plate from fitting in the “standard” 60% Pok3r-style case? Because even 0.11mm is super crazy thin to begin with. Maybe this was necessary? Not sure. Feedback welcome!
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 June 2020, 16:14:20 by toniwonkanobi »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #189 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 22:09:19 »
toniwonkanobi,

It's a shame.

I think the data file in that message you linked is the same file as the AT101 in the first post, because you said you were going to update the first post right?

No, I meant changed the Right Shift stab cutouts of original file and attached the fixed file in my post. My Engrish could confuse you there probably. And who can update the first post and github repo is only OP(emdude), and those were not updated since 2017. You will have to skim all posts in this thread to get correct info unfortunately at the time.

So, I'm assuming that you used this file to order you plate.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/emdude/Alps-60-Keyboard-Plates/master/AT101.dxf

And I can confirm the RShift stabilizers fit well enough. I only had an AEK mods RShift to test (even though the plate was made for the SGI Granite keycap set):

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I though you were going to use SGI keycaps on the plate.
Yes, AEK right shift stab is wide enough to fit the cutouts. But I thought some people report problem with stab from Dell AT101,  AT101W or something. I guess SGI stabs are equivalent or similar to Dell AT101. If you have a plan to get SGI keycaps later report back when they are available.

What exect model number did you get that keycap and stabilizer from?
That keycap ledgend and stab wire doesn't look usual one, your is German M0115D or other Euro model? https://deskthority.net/wiki/Apple_Extended_Keyboard#M0115D_-_German_Model

Stab wire from US model at least doesn't work that way like pic below. Dimensions of the stab wire must be different. That is interesting.

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #190 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 22:28:26 »
toniwonkanobi,

It's a shame.

No, I meant changed the Right Shift stab cutouts of original file and attached the fixed file in my post. My Engrish could confuse you there probably. And who can update the first post and github repo is only OP(emdude), and those were not updated since 2017. You will have to skim all posts in this thread to get correct info unfortunately at the time.

So, I'm assuming that you used this file to order you plate.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/emdude/Alps-60-Keyboard-Plates/master/AT101.dxf

Oh. Got it. Yes, I used the file in the first post as you noted.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I though you were going to use SGI keycaps on the plate.
Yes, AEK right shift stab is wide enough to fit the cutouts. But I thought some people report problem with stab from Dell AT101,  AT101W or something. I guess SGI stabs are equivalent or similar to Dell AT101. If you have a plan to get SGI keycaps later report back when they are available.

What exect model number did you get that keycap and stabilizer from?
That keycap ledgend and stab wire doesn't look usual one, your is German M0115D or other Euro model? https://deskthority.net/wiki/Apple_Extended_Keyboard#M0115D_-_German_Model

Stab wire from US model at least doesn't work that way like pic below. Dimensions of the stab wire must be different. That is interesting.

Show Image

So the RShift I had on hand was from a French-Canadian AEK (M0115), but I think it’s the same size as the RShift on the SGI Granite? Is that not the case?

Also, did I read it right that you think you’ll be able to upload an AT101 version with the correct RShift stabilizer cutouts, and you can edit the dxf to have more metal on the bottom, so that the laser won’t cut off those space bar stabilizer clip areas (to prevent what happened with LaserBoost on their first try)?
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 June 2020, 23:14:21 by toniwonkanobi »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 05:31:07 »
So the RShift I had on hand was from a French-Canadian AEK (M0115), but I think it’s the same size as the RShift on the SGI Granite? Is that not the case?

I don't know but it doesn't surprise me if they have diffrent stab wire width.

Also, did I read it right that you think you’ll be able to upload an AT101 version with the correct RShift stabilizer cutouts, and you can edit the dxf to have more metal on the bottom, so that the laser won’t cut off those space bar stabilizer clip areas (to prevent what happened with LaserBoost on their first try)?

Yes, if you or someone won't do that, I'll do it and post here some later when I get time.

[EDIT]
What keycaps are you going to use with this plate actually?
I think AEK space bar, capslock and modifiers excepting shift wont' fit.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 June 2020, 05:36:17 by hasu »

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 08:18:09 »
Yes, if you or someone won't do that, I'll do it and post here some later when I get time.

Yes, I would very much appreciate your help! I can’t move forward with this build unless I have a plate which works. Obviously not your fault, nor your responsibility, I know :)

I am frustrated that the OP lost interest in keeping the thread updated :/

Let me know when you have finished editing the file ;)

[EDIT]
What keycaps are you going to use with this plate actually?
I think AEK space bar, capslock and modifiers excepting shift wont' fit.

Apologies for any confusion. I am going to use the SGI Granite keycap set with this plate. The caps should arrive tomorrow, and at that point, I can confirm whether the RShift stab clip cutouts are in the correct location.

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #193 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 22:02:27 »
Show Image

And at least in this picture you included in this message, you should be able to get the stabilizer to work:

1. Try rotating the stabilizer wire clips 180°, so that the end which holds the stabilizer wire is toward the north/top side of the plate
2. Try clipping to the stabilizer clips the "closed" end of the stabilizer wire, instead of the "open" ends as was the case for your picture

If you do both of these things, I think you'll find that the stabilizer wire clears the switch and everything will be as it should.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #194 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 22:43:26 »
Show Image

And at least in this picture you included in this message, you should be able to get the stabilizer to work:

1. Try rotating the stabilizer wire clips 180°, so that the end which holds the stabilizer wire is toward the north/top side of the plate
2. Try clipping to the stabilizer clips the "closed" end of the stabilizer wire, instead of the "open" ends as was the case for your picture

If you do both of these things, I think you'll find that the stabilizer wire clears the switch and everything will be as it should.

Yes, my stab wire works in normal way(I believe) without problem.
I just wanted to say with my pic that US AEK stabilizer wire doesn't work that way as your stab does.

You posted pics which show the French-Canadian M0115 stab is used in "reverse"(from my point of view). It was surprised me somewhat because I never seen Alps stab wire is used that way so far.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82916.msg2925272#msg2925272

The stabilizers were installed "reverse" way originally in the French-Canadian M0115?

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #195 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 23:18:29 »
Show Image

I just wanted to say with my pic that US AEK stabilizer wire doesn't work that way as your stab does.

You posted pics which show the French-Canadian M0115 stab is used in "reverse"(from my point of view). It was surprised me somewhat because I never seen Alps stab wire is used that way so far.

The stabilizers were installed "reverse" way originally in the French-Canadian M0115?

You know, I actually don't have a set of regular ("US") ANSI AEK/AEKII keycaps here to compare with the icon mods version (whose RShift I included in my photos above). But I can't imagine it being different?

Anyways, I played around a bit with Swill's plate builder, but without some AutoCAD program (for Mac OS X), it seems too tedious to try and modify the basic 60% to match up with the AT101 version in the OP. My only edit would be to move those space bar stabilizers up ~0.2mm, so that the total thickness of metal on the south/bottom end would be more than the measly ~0.11mm that it currently is.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 June 2020, 07:37:10 by toniwonkanobi »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 00:00:29 »
Show Image

You know, I actually don't have a set of regular ("US") ANSI AEK/AEKII keycaps here to compare with the icon mods version (whose RShift I included in my photos above). But I can't imagine it being different?

It is obvious that the two stab wires are diffrent, so I guess their keycaps can have diffrence somehow even if they are compatible each other.

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 07:49:14 »
Show Image

It is obvious that the two stab wires are diffrent, so I guess their keycaps can have diffrence somehow even if they are compatible each other.

FWIW, in that series of three pictures of the "icon mods" AEK RShift that I shared a couple days ago, I now realize I probably didn't need to install the stabilizer wire upside down, nor did I need to install the stabilizer wire clips upside down.

Again, once I get the SGI Granite keycap set in (hopefully today), I can take some pictures to definitively figure out if the AT101 in the OP is sufficient, or if your edited one is a better fit, and then maybe you can make a new AT101 file, with just a *tad* bit more metal on the bottom space bar stabilizer clip areas :)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 20:11:30 »
Again, once I get the SGI Granite keycap set in (hopefully today), I can take some pictures to definitively figure out if the AT101 in the OP is sufficient, or if your edited one is a better fit, and then maybe you can make a new AT101 file, with just a *tad* bit more metal on the bottom space bar stabilizer clip areas :)

I'd confirm that your "SGI Granite keycap set" means genuine ones from real SGI keyboard.
Modified or cloned keycaps/stabilizers are not preferable when testing the AT101 plate dimension.

Are you going to get whole of the SGI keyboard?
And can you share dimensions of clip cutouts of Right Shift like pic below?

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #199 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 20:25:36 »

I can report back as soon as I get them. Seller shipped them via NZ Post. No tracking. Sigh.

I'd confirm that your "SGI Granite keycap set" means genuine ones from real SGI keyboard.
Modified or cloned keycaps/stabilizers are not preferable when testing the AT101 plate dimension.

Are you going to get whole of the SGI keyboard?
And can you share dimensions of clip cutouts of Right Shift like pic below?

Yeah, I have no reason to believe what I bought from a guy on Deskthority isn't authentic, but I don't have them in front of me yet. Sigh. I can try to measure and get back to everyone here once I have the caps/stabs in hand.

Also, I found that the LaserBoost custom plate I ordered had just a tad bit of wiggle room in the switch cutouts (top-to-bottom direction). The switches easily pop out of the board when attempting to pull a keycap off of a switch. It was a big difference in switch stability compared my Lunar and AEK64, which are obviously integrated plates, but the clip-in portion of those plates is still just 1.2mm. I'm wondering if that vertical dimension of the switch cutouts should be increased by ~0.05mm or so? Would 0.1mm be too much of an increase?
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 07:42:15 by toniwonkanobi »