Author Topic: [IC] MMKB: an HHKB-style 40% Case  (Read 7505 times)

Offline MMKB

[IC] MMKB: an HHKB-style 40% Case
« on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 14:50:50 »
Hi folks,

I'm excited to share with you the concept of a new 40% case. It grows from my own desire for a truly perfect 40% HHKB-style keyboard and my gripes about my 45% and 40% keyboards. All in all, it's still an early concept and sadly I won't be able to push it over the edge due to other commitment. But it would be fun to have an open discussion here.

The Case, Rendered by Xondat

184023-0

The Layout

183716-1

The Mapping -- not essential to this topic but just an example in terms of usability.

184433-2

Design

• Minimaluminiumalism: M0110/HHKB-style, symmetric, aluminum, and 40%. Similiar to X60 but seamless, i.e. the bottom piece is hidden.
  • Compatibility: Support JD40, Daisy, Golbat, AMJ or similar 40% PCBs. (TBD: different port positions?) Compatible with most keysets.
  • Top: Angular, angled, thin and seamless. High-profile. Blocked corners. Adequate (5 mm) and even bezel.
  • Plate: Layout will be as it is. Support switch top opening -- 40% should be mod-friendly. Acrylic or aluminum. Top case mounted.
  • Bottom: A hidden bottom piece with rubber feet.
  • Portability: Meant to be lightweight so most likely without brass weight.
  • Acoustic: Typing should sound deep, solid and fun. I'll explore different plate materials to optimize the sound.
  • Name: Mumu is the name of my (somewhat small in size) cat.

Summary

• The good: Minimal, sharp, small and easy to carry around. Easy to modify because of fewer keys. Beautiful, long spacebar. Compatibility.
  • The bad: The layout will probably be final since I couldn't perfect it anymore. It has only 38 keys so usability is quite a personal thing. Probably no brass weight needed.
  • The ugly: I'll not be able to commit to it anytime soon.

Please let me know what you think. Any suggestion would be appreciated! You can find the keyboard-layout-editor link here: https://goo.gl/RGdKUy. Thank you!
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 January 2018, 18:50:21 by Khylnn »

Offline Vigrith

Re: Mumu: an HHKB-style 40% Case
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 15:15:51 »
issa yes

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 15:17:53 »
I'm not sure I understand the bottom piece but otherwise I like the concept and should be fairly easy to figure everything out with time :thumb:

Offline MMKB

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 17:42:34 »
I'm not sure I understand the bottom piece but otherwise I like the concept and should be fairly easy to figure everything out with time :thumb:

Glad you like it too, Xondat. How about making that the X40?  ;)

What I meant is that the bottom piece is a flat plate screwed into the case from below. Similar to the old Mac mini, the case seems unibody because the bottom is hidden from sight.

Like the Daisy, the order from top to bottom: one-body case, plate, PCB, acrylic bottom piece, and screws.

183731-1
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 December 2017, 17:46:46 by Khylnn »

Offline mastercheif116

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 07:46:38 »
Might be a stupid idea but what about a "WKL" version? It looks like you have 1.5u on either side of the bottom row for those blockers, an option for that 1.5u blocker to be in WKLish position would be awesome. I dunno why I love it so much, but WKL versions of small boards look hilarious and fantastic to me.
Searching for the OG shine

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 09:02:39 »

Glad you like it too, Xondat. How about making that the X40?  ;)

What I meant is that the bottom piece is a flat plate screwed into the case from below. Similar to the old Mac mini, the case seems unibody because the bottom is hidden from sight.

(Attachment Link)

Like the Daisy, the order from top to bottom: one-body case, plate, PCB, acrylic bottom piece, and screws.

(Attachment Link)

Oh I see what you mean now.

Like this?

More

I haven't seen a lot about the Daisy, but would it just be something like that but with blockers?
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 December 2017, 09:06:19 by xondat »

Offline MMKB

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 14:35:28 »

Oh I see what you mean now.

Like this?

More
Show Image

I haven't seen a lot about the Daisy, but would it just be something like that but with blockers?

@Xondat, you just drew the keyboard of my dream. I want to thank you for that!

Would you mind me adding the mockup to the original IC post with your name on it?

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 14:53:42 »
That's so funny, moomoo is my cats name xD

Offline MMKB

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 17:50:29 »
Might be a stupid idea but what about a "WKL" version? It looks like you have 1.5u on either side of the bottom row for those blockers, an option for that 1.5u blocker to be in WKLish position would be awesome. I dunno why I love it so much, but WKL versions of small boards look hilarious and fantastic to me.

Totally fine. I tried it too and although the space is a little cramped, you can still do WKL. Looks funny, right?

183845-0

Offline MMKB

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 17:52:54 »
That's so funny, moomoo is my cats name xD

Not Pearl? Haha.

Now we have two Moomoo/Mumu.

Offline azharkh

Re: [IC] MMKB: an HHKB-style 40% Case
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 17:06:07 »
I've been holding off on getting a blocked JD45 because I wasn't too keen on the case. I've also been kicking myself for not getting an X60.

This is exactly what I need.

Offline MMKB

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 18:53:29 »
I've been holding off on getting a blocked JD45 because I wasn't too keen on the case. I've also been kicking myself for not getting an X60.

Thank you! The blocked JD45 case is indeed a huge miss. That's why we have the Pearl! That said, Xondat just revealed on Intagram that he will do a small run of X60 with V2 internals.  ^-^

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 19:14:51 »
Are you saying this is an IC for a board that will not be made?
keyboards.

Offline azharkh

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 20:00:49 »

Thank you! The blocked JD45 case is indeed a huge miss. That's why we have the Pearl! That said, Xondat just revealed on Intagram that he will do a small run of X60 with V2 internals.  ^-^
welp, time to sell my klippe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk