Author Topic: [IC] the Heavy-6: a Norbauer housing for the Leopold FC660C  (Read 80643 times)

Offline forstsiven

Re: [IC] the Heavy-6: a Norbauer housing for the Leopold FC660C
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:04:19 »
I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a 660c for a while now, and this is definitely it.  :thumb:

It's a great time to pick up a 660c.  The new versions are manufactured in Japan, and although I'm not aware of any noticeable differences, that just sounds better than Made In China.  There are also more keycap options now, and the PBT dyesub sets are phenomenal, best caps I've used.  I just picked up an all-black 660c to replace my black and gray 660c.

Hmm, good to know -> I may try and sell my current one, which is lubed, and pick up one of the made in china ones. Do you know how 45g Leopold domes compare to BKE redux lights in terms of sound? I understand that the tactility is way increased, but my 45g domes are loud as is already.

Offline Luna

« Reply #251 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:08:38 »
Just got my fc660c- did a mx slider swap (with silencing rings), and put bke redux domes in it. Now all I need is a norbauer case for it! ;)

I got me a second, black FC660C and did a slider swap with Nova sliders, added Hyperspheres and a Hasu controller. Waiting for my /dev/tty keycaps to put on it. Add to that a photogrpahers grey Norbauer and it will be magnificent I think!
Wouldn’t mind a pic of that photographers grey.

I didn’t like the Redux domes as much as the Topre ones I must sya. Whic reduxes did you take.

I put bke heavy domes in- I had them in my norbatouch and loved them. I still need a hasu controller too!

I think my problem with the Reduxes are that they have more of a tactile feel and feel more like mech switches than Topre domes to me. Just like with switches I prefer heavy but slightly tactile ones.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #252 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 11:44:43 »
Every day the thirst to see what Motorsport Yellow could be grows a little more.

This is how I perceive the Motorsport Yellow combined with Gray keycaps:
Show Image

unfortunately for me, I have the beige/gray caps

The Zambumon/Hotkeys massdrop broke my will, going all in making this combo happen now.
Is it confirmed hasu controller will fit with this case?

Got a bag of heavy & extreme domes but can't bring myself to try them out yet.
HHKB just feels right with 45g and same with the 55g RF.  Maybe I'll open them for this finally.

Offline whytwokay

« Reply #253 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 20:02:55 »
This looks great! I don't own any Topre boards, but it looks like I'll be grabbing an FC660C sooner rather than later ;)  :thumb:

Offline digitalmachinist

« Reply #254 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 21:00:18 »
@forstsiven

Hmm, good to know -> I may try and sell my current one, which is lubed, and pick up one of the made in china ones. Do you know how 45g Leopold domes compare to BKE redux lights in terms of sound? I understand that the tactility is way increased, but my 45g domes are loud as is already.

I've got BKE lights installed in my FC660C. If you're interested in the differences in sound between these and stock, boy do I have a present for you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/8g5uya/modded_leopold_fc660c_typing_tests/

I put this together to track a history of my FC660C mods and what they all sound like. I've also included notes on my impressions of the experience of each mod.

BKE lights are a little louder than stock Topre 45g domes. With silencing rings they're basically the same, because all you hear is the THOCK of the downstroke. If you add in some cabinet liner under your PCB you can make them extremely quiet. The thing I've found is it's a little difficult to find the sweet spot between annoying noise, tactility and pleasurable keyboard sound. Hyperspheres massively reduce annoying upstroke CLACK but also reduce tactility of the dome collapse at the top of the stroke. Cabinet liner reduces both tactility of bottoming out and eliminates the nice THOCK. I expect heavier BKEs can counteract the hyperspheres without making for a loud keystroke. I have some BKE Extremes on the way in the mail right now. Those should be quite an experience. I'll upload sound tests of those once I have the chance to try them out.

« Last Edit: Fri, 08 June 2018, 21:05:42 by digitalmachinist »

Offline Duckunderscore

« Reply #255 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 18:49:35 »
I definitely gotta buy a 660c specifically for this, vvvvvv nice

Offline Hawkfriend

• K E Y B O R T S
« Reply #256 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 20:32:30 »
Just got my fc660c- did a mx slider swap (with silencing rings), and put bke redux domes in it. Now all I need is a norbauer case for it! ;)

I got me a second, black FC660C and did a slider swap with Nova sliders, added Hyperspheres and a Hasu controller. Waiting for my /dev/tty keycaps to put on it. Add to that a photogrpahers grey Norbauer and it will be magnificent I think!
Wouldn’t mind a pic of that photographers grey.

I didn’t like the Redux domes as much as the Topre ones I must sya. Whic reduxes did you take.

I put bke heavy domes in- I had them in my norbatouch and loved them. I still need a hasu controller too!

Which sliders did you use my du?

Offline moitorpsychoo

« Reply #257 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 20:36:38 »
For those who wants to buy a fc660c, don’t.....

BUY TWO!

1 for the heavy-6 at home, 1 on the go :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #258 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 20:46:27 »
I totally get wanting the ability to use mx keysets,  but the stock topre sliders still feel the best
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #259 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 20:57:25 »
I'm just thinking to myself. I was a happy man before Heavy 6 was announced. I've lived a pretty good life, and had a pretty good keyboard, heaviliy modified Realforce 88UB.

But now... first, I gotta get FC660. Then a metal case. Then a 55g Realforce to transplant domes. Then a silent Realforce to transplant purple sliders. Then a colored keyset. Then a braided cable in a same colorway. Then a hasu controller. Then a soldering iron with a precise microtip to solder my USB-C connector on a hasu PCB.

So yeah... looks like I'm about to sell my house.
Man gotta do what man gotta do.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #260 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 23:29:50 »
I'm just thinking to myself. I was a happy man before Heavy 6 was announced. I've lived a pretty good life, and had a pretty good keyboard, heaviliy modified Realforce 88UB.

But now... first, I gotta get FC660. Then a metal case. Then a 55g Realforce to transplant domes. Then a silent Realforce to transplant purple sliders. Then a colored keyset. Then a braided cable in a same colorway. Then a hasu controller. Then a soldering iron with a precise microtip to solder my USB-C connector on a hasu PCB.

I might be wrong but I don't think transplanting a USB C connector on to a Hasu controller would be that simple or even work. I know it was asked about USB-C and it wasn't doable. Which I mean is ok for the most part.

Offline dario

« Reply #261 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 01:26:16 »

I might be wrong but I don't think transplanting a USB C connector on to a Hasu controller would be that simple or even work. I know it was asked about USB-C and it wasn't doable. Which I mean is ok for the most part.

Hmmm... this is actually interesting. Are you sure about this? Because as far as I know, USBC is not a communication protocol, it is mearly a physical connector that can support multitude standards.

In this case, all we need are five pins. At least, that's what I'm expecting.

Offline forstsiven

« Reply #262 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 10:50:35 »
@forstsiven

I've got BKE lights installed in my FC660C. If you're interested in the differences in sound between these and stock, boy do I have a present for you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/8g5uya/modded_leopold_fc660c_typing_tests/

I put this together to track a history of my FC660C mods and what they all sound like. I've also included notes on my impressions of the experience of each mod.

BKE lights are a little louder than stock Topre 45g domes. With silencing rings they're basically the same, because all you hear is the THOCK of the downstroke. If you add in some cabinet liner under your PCB you can make them extremely quiet. The thing I've found is it's a little difficult to find the sweet spot between annoying noise, tactility and pleasurable keyboard sound. Hyperspheres massively reduce annoying upstroke CLACK but also reduce tactility of the dome collapse at the top of the stroke. Cabinet liner reduces both tactility of bottoming out and eliminates the nice THOCK. I expect heavier BKEs can counteract the hyperspheres without making for a loud keystroke. I have some BKE Extremes on the way in the mail right now. Those should be quite an experience. I'll upload sound tests of those once I have the chance to try them out.

Bruh you're the MVP. I have a Realforce 87U w/ BKE extremes which makes me question my sanity a bit because I bought it because reasons even though I have no actual use for it. Most of what I do is gaming at my computer and it's impossible to play fps with BKE extremes.

I was thinking about doing silenced sliders in the bke lights (which I picked up in the limited teal color) and lubing them. The weird thing about the stock domes is that they seem louder than when I first picked up the board.

Offline digitalmachinist

« Reply #263 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 12:20:29 »
@forstsiven

Bruh you're the MVP. I have a Realforce 87U w/ BKE extremes which makes me question my sanity a bit because I bought it because reasons even though I have no actual use for it. Most of what I do is gaming at my computer and it's impossible to play fps with BKE extremes.

I was thinking about doing silenced sliders in the bke lights (which I picked up in the limited teal color) and lubing them. The weird thing about the stock domes is that they seem louder than when I first picked up the board.

Happy to help!

So I just got my own extremes and I'm typing with them as we speak. They're not like I expected, to be honest. The sound they produce is kind of disappointing and while they're probably a little more tactile than heavies I find that they're mostly just really stiff and that makes them more mushy-feeling at the bottom of the keystroke. I'm using them with Hyperspheres and maybe they're a better experience unsilenced, but at the end of the day I think they're just heavier than I'd like. Until trying these I hadn't yet tried a key that was actually too heavy for me, but I've found my limit I guess. I'm actually kind of hoping that I can return them for heavies instead.

I'll post a sound test for them before doing anything but I've got my fingers crossed that Keyclack will accept an exchange.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 June 2018, 12:22:15 by digitalmachinist »

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #264 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 13:19:10 »
@forstsiven

Happy to help!

So I just got my own extremes and I'm typing with them as we speak. They're not like I expected, to be honest. The sound they produce is kind of disappointing and while they're probably a little more tactile than heavies I find that they're mostly just really stiff and that makes them more mushy-feeling at the bottom of the keystroke. I'm using them with Hyperspheres and maybe they're a better experience unsilenced, but at the end of the day I think they're just heavier than I'd like. Until trying these I hadn't yet tried a key that was actually too heavy for me, but I've found my limit I guess. I'm actually kind of hoping that I can return them for heavies instead.

I'll post a sound test for them before doing anything but I've got my fingers crossed that Keyclack will accept an exchange.

I'll buy 'em off if you don't like 'em. = )

But first try lube and give them more of a break-in period. I'm using them with Hi-Pros and hyperspheres on my HHKB and honestly it's my endgame typing experience. Just wonderful. It took a few days of lots of typing before I felt like they were broken in somewhat though.

Offline digitalmachinist

« Reply #265 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 15:16:21 »
@forstsiven

Happy to help!

I'll buy 'em off if you don't like 'em. = )

But first try lube and give them more of a break-in period. I'm using them with Hi-Pros and hyperspheres on my HHKB and honestly it's my endgame typing experience. Just wonderful. It took a few days of lots of typing before I felt like they were broken in somewhat though.

I'm on day 3 or 4 now and I have to admit that I've warmed up to them a bit. At first they really turned me off but after a slight adjustment in my typing style they started to feel a little better.

On day 2 I gave my sliders a fresh bead of lube and that seems like it took care of most of the scratchiness of my MX sliders. The fresh lube could also be responsible for some of the mushiness that I feel when I bottom out. I tried to be conservative with applying it but I know how easy it is to put on a little too much. so that's a possibility.

If you're offering to buy then I guess maybe I'll hold onto them for a little longer and see if I come to like them, but I think probably heavies are right for me. I have a sampler pack of them that I've put on a few keys in the past, but I don't have enough to cover the letters and numbers so I can confirm the "real" typing experience. Currently all my stabilized keys are on heavies and my spacebar is on a light. Escape felt really good as a heavy before. I think they're the right ones for me. It's a shame I've had to go all Goldilocks on these domes before getting the ones that suit me best  :p

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #266 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 19:57:44 »
I'm on day 3 or 4 now and I have to admit that I've warmed up to them a bit. At first they really turned me off but after a slight adjustment in my typing style they started to feel a little better.

On day 2 I gave my sliders a fresh bead of lube and that seems like it took care of most of the scratchiness of my MX sliders. The fresh lube could also be responsible for some of the mushiness that I feel when I bottom out. I tried to be conservative with applying it but I know how easy it is to put on a little too much. so that's a possibility.

If you're offering to buy then I guess maybe I'll hold onto them for a little longer and see if I come to like them, but I think probably heavies are right for me. I have a sampler pack of them that I've put on a few keys in the past, but I don't have enough to cover the letters and numbers so I can confirm the "real" typing experience. Currently all my stabilized keys are on heavies and my spacebar is on a light. Escape felt really good as a heavy before. I think they're the right ones for me. It's a shame I've had to go all Goldilocks on these domes before getting the ones that suit me best  :p

Haha yeah man that's the beauty of keyboard science. = )

Offline forstsiven

« Reply #267 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 14:10:01 »
Any further ideas on possible powdercoat finishes? Will retro refrigerator be an option? There was a copper-bronze finish for the Coolermaster cases that I think would look fantastic with grey keycaps.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #268 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 19:47:25 »
Any further ideas on possible powdercoat finishes? Will retro refrigerator be an option? There was a copper-bronze finish for the Coolermaster cases that I think would look fantastic with grey keycaps.

I think he only offering the one color this time. That is the bright yellow color.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #269 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 19:52:35 »

I think he only offering the one color this time. That is the bright yellow color.
Don't forget Photographer's Gray

Offline forstsiven

« Reply #270 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 15:43:24 »

I hope there are more options. Really, really desperately hoping for so, although if not, I suppose the clear anodized will have to do.

Offline dario

« Reply #271 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 16:43:15 »
Just read the first page. All kinds of custom colors are available.

I'm even thinking Miami Blue or Mexico Blue would look good on my desk. I'm worried about wearing off color through use though, at least in case of powder coating. Anodization is a different thing.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #272 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 17:26:42 »

I'm even thinking Miami Blue or Mexico Blue would look good on my desk. I'm worried about wearing off color through use though, at least in case of powder coating. Anodization is a different thing.
might be mistaken but pretty sure your going to have a ruff time rubbing off powder coating. I mean they use it on industrial applications all the time and they do rims. Heck they even powder coat car chassis. I just don't see you rubbing a powder coat off given perhaps the ones I am mentioning are not the standard powder coat finishes.

Offline forstsiven

« Reply #273 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 17:31:20 »

I'm trying to get a sense of additional finishes rather than one-offs. I already have a custom powder-coating Norbaforce incoming, but I want to see either A. available custom finishes B. final ones open to everyone through the normal GB.

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 07:49:59 »
news on the pvd steel sample?

KMK Labs.

Offline moitorpsychoo

« Reply #275 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 15:14:11 »
Every day the thirst to see what Motorsport Yellow could be grows a little more.

Aluminum protos arrived and look fantastic. Photos soon. Work begins this week on the yellow and steel samples. I’m feeling really great about where things are headed. :)

Any photos coming soon? :)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #276 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 15:16:44 »

Aluminum protos arrived and look fantastic. Photos soon. Work begins this week on the yellow and steel samples. I’m feeling really great about where things are headed. :)

Hehe. Do you guys think I would forget? ;P

The two powder samples and PVD steel are still being completed by their respective vendors. I promise to post pics of all five finishes as soon as I get the remaining parts. :)

Offline moitorpsychoo

« Reply #277 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:57:17 »

The two powder samples and PVD steel are still being completed by their respective vendors. I promise to post pics of all five finishes as soon as I get the remaining parts. :)

That’s great news!
Btw, are you bringing any heavy-6 prototypes to the Keycon this weekend?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #278 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:58:17 »

That’s great news!
Btw, are you bringing any heavy-6 prototypes to the Keycon this weekend?

I'm certainly hoping to be able to! I called the powder shop to harass them on Friday and will do so again in a day or two. :)

Offline Luna

« Reply #279 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 04:11:22 »
Are all the colors confirmed yet?
Are Retro Refrigerator and Galaxy Console among the options for the Heavy-6?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #280 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 10:47:43 »

I'm planning on two powder-coat finishes only for this run.

Offline titanium

« Reply #281 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 03:01:14 »

does this confirm that you will have multiple runs of this case!?!?!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #282 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 09:39:00 »

does this confirm that you will have multiple runs of this case!?!?!

Haha. Goodness no. Maybe let's figure out round 1 goes first and then see how it goes?  :D

Offline titanium

« Reply #283 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 01:50:16 »
do you have a rough estimate on when this gb will launch?

Offline Helcera

« Reply #284 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:07:32 »
So my curiosity finally got me to register. I'd like to know if it would be possible to use this case with just a 66% pcb (like a clueboard pcb for example since it seems to support the same layout), or wouldn't that work for some reason? I'm very much unfamiliar with topre boards so I realize this might be a dumb question.

I'm not averse to topre boards by any means but as an nordic ISO user getting a FC660C isn't really an option for me. I know FC660M has an ISO version available but for me it kind of defeats the point because I'm not interested in the normal cherry switches it comes with, and I would replace the case and keycaps anyway so I'd rather just buy a pcb and some nicer switches separately. I know in the Heavy-6 the USB seems to have a different placement than in the clueboard pcb but could I maybe get around that somehow?

As a huge fan of heavy cases I'm particularly interested in the steel option. Is there a specific reason why it would only come with a black coating? I mean you explained why that would be the only coating option but I'd be more interested in having no coating at all, I don't mind scratches or that kind of thing. The stone-wash finish would be absolutely ideal for me.

Ungh why is there suddenly an influx of heavy cases with thick bezels, I'm looking at you, modern M0110! That would be the more logical option for me due to issues stated above but as soon as you started talking about steel I started to waver... I wish I was just made of money so I wouldn't have to choose and could just get both.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #285 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:01:06 »
So my curiosity finally got me to register. I'd like to know if it would be possible to use this case with just a 66% pcb (like a clueboard pcb for example since it seems to support the same layout), or wouldn't that work for some reason?

I'm afraid that this would only fit the FC660C due to it being engineered to fit the specific contours of that board's (somewhat idiosyncratic) plate.

Offline Luna

« Reply #286 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 13:41:13 »
That probably means it won't work with the Leopold FC660M as well?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #287 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 14:46:11 »

It will not.

Offline Luna

« Reply #288 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 15:40:09 »
Thanks. I love both Topre and Zilent switches, that's why I asked.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #289 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 19:17:33 »

It will not.

Alas.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #290 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 21:39:54 »
My black on black fc660c arrived about a month ago. waiting for the heavy6. lonely.

unleash the heavy6, norb. do it. how far are we from the gb? :D

Offline norbauer

« Reply #291 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 22:01:56 »
My black on black fc660c arrived about a month ago. waiting for the heavy6. lonely.

The steel version shows up on Friday. Slowly inching our way there, but getting close, in short. :)

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #292 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:32:35 »

The steel version shows up on Friday. Slowly inching our way there, but getting close, in short. :)
I heard you got it today tho. Pls post. Anticipation kills. 🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

« Reply #293 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:35:49 »

I heard you got it today tho. Pls post. Anticipation kills. 🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It has been a busy day in keyboards today so haven't had time yet, but I'm happy to report that it looks beautiful. I need to reconfigure my photo studio back to doing pics due to the video I shot today, but with any luck tomorrow or the following few days. :)

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #294 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:37:36 »
It has been a busy day in keyboards today so haven't had time yet, but I'm happy to report that it looks beautiful. I need to reconfigure my photo studio back to doing pics due to the video I shot today, but with any luck tomorrow or the following few days. :)

man.. building that hype and suspense.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #295 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:41:10 »
Can we move this thread and updates to keebtalk?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #296 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:42:37 »
Can we move this thread and updates to keebtalk?

I did already, but the site is getting slammed so much now that it's currently not responding. ;D

Anyway, here's the link.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #297 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 15:07:01 »
I preordered the grey fc660c earlier from mk and they show them as in stock currently but are telling me they don't know when the stock is coming in... boggle

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #298 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 15:10:38 »
Might be they had stock come in but the pre order's wiped it out. The system just automatically show's they have stock until they scan it to be shipped. I know I have read many places the FC660C is a very very popular board.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #299 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 15:15:46 »
Ah that makes sense, well back to waiting