Author Topic: [IC] GMK Neon City (Kitting done, more renders!)  (Read 69861 times)

Offline SoraNoTenshi

[IC] GMK Neon City (Kitting done, more renders!)
« on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 15:40:15 »
Hello Geekhack,

and welcome to my Interest Check for my first GMK Design - GMK Neon City

Intro:

I have had a Theme like this a long time in my mind: Something more colourful, but not too bright. Or in other words: a darker Pink + Purple.
As I am a huge fan of what I call them "Neon Cities", I tried my best and making this into a Keycap Theme, and have therefore designed a colourway, I am very happy myself, so to say.

Just imagine, a great night, with a drink or 2 and just starring out to Mega buildings, Skyscrapers - and of course Neon Signs.

Technical Infos:

I have picked Pantone colours, why you ask?
Simple: I don't own a RAL colour sheet and Every attempt I tried on finding a good matching RAL-colour, I ended up disliking it because it always didn't have the "punch" in contrast I wanted it to have.

Kits:

Base Kit with ICON Mods
Katakana Monolegends (is still depending on some factors, if it won't be possible it will include hiragana Monolegends.)
Novelties (This will include Ortho Compatibility, so don't worry on that site.)

Kits:
Base kit:

Katakana Monolegends:

Novelties:

Some Board renders:

More Renders, including the set on boards, etc can be found here.

Vendors:
TBD

Deskmat:

I have made the decision to commission a Designer for a Deskmat design, which i am more than happy to show to you! :)

I will also Release the FULL IMAGE without watermarks or something when the GB is over!

FAQ:

This set looks a lot similar to Laser!
Well, this set is not as blue-heavy as laser, but the theme is similar, that might be the reason why this has been thought.
The mod legends have a too low contrast!
I think, that in reality, the contrast will look alright, but I certainly think about brightening it up a bit.

Roadmap:

• Introduce more Renders
  • Evaluate the Google form
  • Design Novelties
  • Pitch the idea to Vendors
  • GB Process
  • Answer the Feedback of the community :) (Ongoing process, will never finish this, probably :D)

Banner:

If you like my Idea and want to support it, please consider putting this banner in your Signature!

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105381.0][img width=480 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/f1M1oXP.png[/img][/url]

Shoutouts:

I love to give some people a shoutout which supported me with information, help and a lot of other things managing to get this set where it is right now!
  • Emil - Or the reason why I even started.
  • Oblotzky - For taking his time and explaining me a few things, as well as creating the renders (which I have atm.)
  • Apollosdesign (@apollosdesign on IG) - for creating this Amazing!! Artwork for the deskmat
  • Energieschleuder - For helping me, too as well as hopefully being the reason that Katakana Monolegends will be a thing!
  • The whole German Keeb Community, seriously thank you guys for supporting me so much!
  • Special Thanks to the Keycap Designers Discord, great guys, helped me with a lot of things!
  • Bunny - Amazing guy, helped me with the Renders by providing me with a good template, had still a lot of things to do, none the less...

I probably have missed some, but those were the ones I had in my mind for now.
Everyone and I mean EVERYONE who helped me, supported me and what not, thank you so much!
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2020, 15:08:44 by SoraNoTenshi »

Offline SoraNoTenshi

Re: [IC] GMK Technological Dystopia
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 15:40:56 »
Mod Background poll!

Thank you for voting, i try to gather as much information as possible so everyone can vote! :)

UPDATE: Poll decided for keeping it purple. That's going to be it! (It was a close call with 55% / 45%, so I will try my best and find a colour everyone believes is nice!)
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 April 2020, 14:09:55 by SoraNoTenshi »

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 15:44:05 »
Looks great, but it is kinda similar to laser..

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 15:45:09 »

I'm gonna have to agree. In both theme and colors :/

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 15:46:44 »

I'm gonna have to agree. In both theme and colors :/

The theme is similar, that's correct!
But if you compare them like actually side by side, you can see a huge difference.
I have seen many people say that, because they have a picture of Laser in their had - but they're actually pretty different.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 15:47:16 »

Yeah I agree, it's like laser with the alpha and mod colors flipped, but with a lighter purple. That said, I do like it, but a bit too similar to laser.

Offline delrn

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 15:49:11 »
Definitely interested, GL w/ GB!

Offline Scottw

• ScottW's Boards
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 15:52:13 »
Not sure about the keycap colors, but the deskmat is great. I would buy it today.

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 15:52:41 »
A synthwave inspired set I don't have to go to assdrop for? Sign me up.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 15:53:04 »
Mitolet alphas, laser mods? I have both sets right in front of me here. Honestly if you swapped the alpha colors and the mods colors it would at least be a combo that you can't quite get from current Mito sets.

Youre onto something with the colors and design!

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 15:59:48 »
I'd probably change up the mod legend color could possibly run into some contrast issues.

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 16:03:02 »
I'd probably change up the mod legend color could possibly run into some contrast issues.
Good point!
Yes, I have heard this from many people before... but I believe that in reality, this might actually won't be that big of a deal.
But I will certainly consider this, thank you for your feedback!

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 16:06:18 »
There are some of us out there who liked violet tendencies and gmk dark's lack of contrast on the mods. You'd mentioned you'd picked Pantones-did you list them?

Offline mta

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 16:08:04 »
Yo catgirls

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 16:08:38 »
There are some of us out there who liked violet tendencies and gmk dark's lack of contrast on the mods. You'd mentioned you'd picked Pantones-did you list them?

I did not yet because the colours are not 100% fixed yet, I am checking for the interest and asking for feedback, so this could still be a matter of change, but I certainly can include the Pantone colours at some point during the IC.

Offline SirShakes

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 16:09:04 »

im sorry what

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 16:09:59 »
Show Image

im sorry what

ehh yeah, that's my image hoster.
If needed - i can change the url.

~fixed~
Thank you for telling me... whoops!
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 March 2020, 16:15:46 by SoraNoTenshi »

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 16:35:36 »
sweet idea. I think the general colorscheme is cool but not executed particularly well with how you have everything atm. the alphas seem too "loud" compared to the mods, which are super subdued. maybe upping their contrast to mirror the alphas would help.

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 16:38:12 »
sweet idea. I think the general colorscheme is cool but not executed particularly well with how you have everything atm. the alphas seem too "loud" compared to the mods, which are super subdued. maybe upping their contrast to mirror the alphas would help.

Thank you for the feedback.
I will definetly experiment around with the mod colours a little bit. Greatly appreciate it, thanks!

Offline Waterproof_Salad

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 16:44:46 »
Looking forward to this. Good Luck with GB!

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 16:47:18 »
Diggin the colorway here. I like how loud the alphas are.

Probably the least important aspect of this IC...  the proposed name of your set is a mouthful and seems to have little to do with your neon sign sentiments. Perhaps something like GMK Neonpunk or GMK Neon Dystopia or GMK Neon-Noir just to name a few ideas. I honestly expected more of a grayscale with a name like “GMK Technological Dystopia.”

GL with the IC!

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 16:51:41 »

Probably the least important aspect of this IC...  the proposed name of your set is a mouthful and seems to have little to do with your neon sign sentiments. Perhaps something like GMK Neonpunk or GMK Neon Dystopia or GMK Neon-Noir just to name a few ideas. I honestly expected more of a grayscale with a name like “GMK Technological Dystopia.”

GL with the IC!

Interesting aspect:
The idea behind the name is, basically rebuilding a theme like in Blade Runner, a civilization which have developed their technology in a bad way, where it basically led to a sort of Dystopian Future.

The reason why i didn't pick Cyberpunk or something similar is simply because of the fact, that i didn't want to use a name which is popular and therefore block it for a potential more skilled designer than me. Well this is my first ever keycap set i designed and therefore i still have too much to learn to block such a name.

But interesting idea, i will definetly think about changing the name.

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 17:06:10 »

GL with the IC!

Interesting aspect:
The idea behind the name is, basically rebuilding a theme like in Blade Runner, a civilization which have developed their technology in a bad way, where it basically led to a sort of Dystopian Future.

The reason why i didn't pick Cyberpunk or something similar is simply because of the fact, that i didn't want to use a name which is popular and therefore block it for a potential more skilled designer than me. Well this is my first ever keycap set i designed and therefore i still have too much to learn to block such a name.

I totally get the idea behind your theme. That’s why you can buy DSA 2049 on pimykeyboard right now. It is blade runner inspired. And also uses a more grayscale tone to convey that idea. Your colorway and neon sign idea goes beyond something as culturally relevant as Blade Runner though. Anyways, just my hot take on this. But I firmly believe having a catchy and memorable name is important for sets (looking at you pooped in the pool  ;D)

I didn’t suggest “cyberpunk” because it’s rather cliche in my opinion. We can totally let someone else use that  :p

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 19:02:46 »
I like this set!

My only recommendation would be that the pink on the mods is too dark. I think the contrast will be too low when it is made. The contrast from the alphas is high. The two together would not flow.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 19:12:22 »
The year of space, sea and cyberpunk. Haha. Will need to let this one grow on me. The alphas are so flashy compared to the rest. Definitely looks like mitolet and laser had a baby.

Edit: Hah. Commented without reading replies. But hiney said it much better than I did.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 March 2020, 19:15:41 by Zeelobby »

Offline Pach

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 20:18:18 »
I like the theme. It's really like mitolet alphas with laser mods  :p
The name is a bit of a mouthful though, imo

Offline Abec13

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 20:31:07 »
Deskmat says Night Runner purple edition
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline penvellynn

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 20:33:36 »
I'm hyped for this!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 20:38:28 »

I see I wasn't the only one that thought that.  ;D
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 March 2020, 20:40:00 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline antx1701

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 21:39:02 »
GMK Laserwave? Vaporlaser?

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 21:40:34 »

Oof. Night runner hasn’t been shipped yet has it? This set is just different enough in colors, but there are some striking similarities to the deskpad.

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 21:49:17 »
It’s still night interestchecker right now

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 22:09:46 »
These days almost every set that comes out is gonna have similarities to if not 1, but 2 or 3 other sets. This is an interesting colorway and I'd like to see more of it.

Offline amarotea

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 23:02:17 »
Definitely interested in the desk mat

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 01:18:02 »
If keycaps were anime characters, this looks like would be Night Runner's first enemy/ rival/ eventual ally. I love the colors, I hope this GB is successful!

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 02:29:38 »
I like the theme. It's really like mitolet alphas with laser mods  :p
The name is a bit of a mouthful though, imo

GL with the IC!

GL with the IC!

Interesting aspect:

I totally get the idea behind your theme. That’s why you can buy DSA 2049 on pimykeyboard right now. It is blade runner inspired. And also uses a more grayscale tone to convey that idea. Your colorway and neon sign idea goes beyond something as culturally relevant as Blade Runner though. Anyways, just my hot take on this. But I firmly believe having a catchy and memorable name is important for sets (looking at you pooped in the pool  ;D)

I didn’t suggest “cyberpunk” because it’s rather cliche in my opinion. We can totally let someone else use that  :p

GMK Laserwave? Vaporlaser?

As so many of you have pointed out that the name is too "mouthful" i have gotten a different idea for the name.

What is your guys opinion on the name "GMK Neon Cities"
Less mouthful and clearly represents the idea of the Set.
Please let me know what you think, i might also include that in the google form! (You have the ability to change your answers! :)

Offline digid3ar

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 03:05:03 »
i like the theme, and think there is a lot of people that would like this keyset, but i would advice you to get a RAL catalog to look into colors, even if the colors are not final, or dont look like the real thing or render, they give us a good idea of the color and many designers have stated that color differs with every plastic batch.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 March 2020, 03:09:28 by digid3ar »

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 03:22:23 »
i like the theme, and think there is a lot of people that would like this keyset, but i would advice you to get a RAL catalog to look into colors, even if the colors are not final, or dont look like the real thing or render, they give us a good idea of the color and many designers have stated that color differs with every plastic batch.

Thank you!
Yes i know, but a RAL catalogue is pretty expensive, i would actually get my hands on one once i have the money, but i really just wanted to see if it is even valueable to continue working on the set any further, because it could be possible that the community just doesn't like it as this colour contrast / theme goes away from what is usually more on the 'popular' side.

Offline diymkb

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 06:08:52 »
@SoraNoTenshi, this set looks great! The desk mat is also pretty cool. Have you tried having the modifiers with a neon pink font color? But as they are right now, I'd purchase a set.

Offline iaman

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 07:05:02 »
I dig the idea, but agree that you should put in the work to massage the colors and make sure it’s doable. As for the title: maybe something like “Neon Skyline” or “Neon Dusk” would be simpler but still clear?

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 07:31:29 »
I dig the idea, but agree that you should put in the work to massage the colors and make sure it’s doable. As for the title: maybe something like “Neon Skyline” or “Neon Dusk” would be simpler but still clear?

Hmm i like my alternative name "Neon City" / "Neon Cities" more, as they're more representative than your suggestions; none the less i do appreciate it!
Also, yes i will try and play a bit around with the mods, i take the feedback i received very serious and therefore i will try what i can to get it to my liking as well as your liking.

Offline diymkb

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 08:45:37 »
Has Outrun or OuTRON been ever taken by another set? If you go with the latter, revisions or next round releases would be easy to label (ie, OuTRON2.0). Just a suggestion that I’ll add to the list.

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 09:23:13 »

Hmm i like my alternative name "Neon City" / "Neon Cities" more, as they're more representative than your suggestions; none the less i do appreciate it!
Also, yes i will try and play a bit around with the mods, i take the feedback i received very serious and therefore i will try what i can to get it to my liking as well as your liking.

GMK Neon City sounds dope. Go with that.

My last suggestion is to spend a solid week with your colors, come up a few different combos that highlight what you’re after, then share those with us or allow us to vote on them. Getting up close and personal with color codes will help a ton too. Specifically, as previously stated, I think the mods need the most attention to better match the contrast that appears to exist with the alphas. I also think there is too much competing purple/pink right now. Maybe try using the alpha green color as the accent color instead? If you insist on using 4 different colors, make it really count!

I like where you’re headed with this set and am excited to see what you come up with!

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 09:31:24 »

GMK Neon City sounds dope. Go with that.

My last suggestion is to spend a solid week with your colors, come up a few different combos that highlight what you’re after, then share those with us or allow us to vote on them. Getting up close and personal with color codes will help a ton too. Specifically, as previously stated, I think the mods need the most attention to better match the contrast that appears to exist with the alphas. I also think there is too much competing purple/pink right now. Maybe try using the alpha green color as the accent color instead? If you insist on using 4 different colors, make it really count!

I like where you’re headed with this set and am excited to see what you come up with!

Thank you!!

I am not sure with green, as this would go against the initial idea i had in my mind. I am strictly limited to:
- Pink
- Purple
- Turquoise / Teal

That's the initial idea, but i am sure i will get a combination, which complements every other part from the set even better.

For the name... i will be waiting until the poll hits a certain fixed point on votes for the name, whatever is most voted until the threshold has been hit, i will go with it.

Thank you guys, again, so much for your support! It is lovely to see, that so many people are actually interested and helpful in terms of feedback. :)

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 11:13:53 »
UPDATE: I have just ordered a RAL-Block, hopefully, this will arrive soon and thus it might make the colour decisions easier.
I thought since this thread is giving me A LOT of good and helpful feedback, as well as it seems there is a severe interest in it, that I can make good use of this colour-block! :)

Offline norb

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 12:03:03 »
hi, we've already had a few words on discord (norbert) a while ago about this set. about the set itself, yeah, like others said, mods contrast may be an issue, that blue and wine-red don't go that well together imo.
but that deskmat is KILLER, would buy it in a heartbeat! please start a standalone GB for the deskmat right now :p

i'm not sure if i would buy the set in it's current form, but i'm definitely gonna keep my eyes on this.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 12:11:35 »

Oof. Night runner hasn’t been shipped yet has it? This set is just different enough in colors, but there are some striking similarities to the deskpad.

Shouldn't be too long from now actually.

It’s still night interestchecker right now

? You talking about my GB that is nearing deliver or?

If keycaps were anime characters, this looks like would be Night Runner's first enemy/ rival/ eventual ally. I love the colors, I hope this GB is successful!

Great description lol.

Theme is going to look close to NR novelties and deskmat but as long as no copying happens tis all good...we are on our way to not being rivals I guess?

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 14:21:08 »
Aww hell I got it flipped with nightshade (which I’m also looking forward to)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 14:45:42 »
Aww hell I got it flipped with nightshade (which I’m also looking forward to)

Ahh, that makes more sense, I thought I remember you in the NR threads so was confused.

Offline diymkb

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 16:35:08 »
Thank you!!

I am not sure with green, as this would go against the initial idea i had in my mind. I am strictly limited to:
- Pink
- Purple
- Turquoise / Teal

That's the initial idea, but i am sure i will get a combination, which complements every other part from the set even better.

For the name... i will be waiting until the poll hits a certain fixed point on votes for the name, whatever is most voted until the threshold has been hit, i will go with it.

Thank you guys, again, so much for your support! It is lovely to see, that so many people are actually interested and helpful in terms of feedback. :)

Have you tried out the font color (I don't know what it is exactly) used in Akko x Ducky Queen modifiers? It looks close to the font color of the alphas but brighter. EDIT: My bad. I thought it was a lighter turquoise. It's like an electric blue upon closer inspection.

For the ESC and Enter, would a neon pink with the current font color add more contrast with the rest of the keys? Like the Originative modifiers in the Miami colorway.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 March 2020, 17:01:51 by diymkb »