Author Topic: What you can do with a WASD (or What I think of Phoenix Switches)  (Read 3718 times)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
This was not so much a planned build as just putting together parts that I had lying around.

Extremely disgusting WASD donor I got off eBay for $39. The before shot isn't very good as I took it off an old eBay purchase.

After

245356-1

Bought one of the new silver CNCd aluminum cases off WASD. Put some phoenix stems in durok housings. Caps are GMK Denim with Honeywell Mild Pink accents.

What I like:

It looks kick ass! Very pleased. The case is great.

What I dislike:

Well... the switches. Honestly, I'm disappointed. 

I am someone who likes clicky switches. My first board was a WASD with MX Blues. When I discovered zealiostottes I couldn't wait to put them in my board. However, they wouldn't bounce back unless I put 67g springs in them, too heavy for clickies IMO. So I
      was REALLY looking forward to trying phoenix switches with 62g springs. If this was a successful build, I was planning on transplanting these into my original WASD.

Not gonna happen. In comparison, the zealiostotles feel much tighter, a good solid click. These phoenix stems are rattly, somewhere between MX Blues and the stotles.

On top of this, even with some drawer liner installed, the click is ear piercing, yuck. It could be the combination of the switches inside the alu case but I've got jades and box pinks in metal cases and they sound great, nice and thocky (yes clickies can be thocky
      in the right build). The box switches also feel nice and smooth. These phoenix switches? Poo. Ok, that's harsh. They actually have pretty nice tactility but I'm after perfection here. These are not 'Oooh yeah' satisfying. I really wanted to love these but I think box
      pinks are my favorite MX style clickies. I was planning on getting a black case from WASD but now I'm hesitating (because of the sound, not the quality. I would def recommend the alu case). I don't want to get it only for it to ruin the sound of my zealiostotles.
      Right now they sound pretty nice in the plastic case.

What I hate:

Costar stabs. Damn them to hell.

What's next:

This board looks great. I think the build has potential and the case is great. I don't think clickies suit this build but with the right switches, it could be excellent. I've got tangerines, Hako trues and clears on deck. Any of those could be a good option. We'll see.
      Oo, I've got some blueberries too, that might be a winner.

Offline Rayndalf

Re: What you can do with a WASD (or What I think of Phoenix Switches)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 01:04:12 »
I found pheonix stems sound (markedly) better in the sky lowers (pom) than the (polycarbonate?) ice lowers. Durok housings are PC, right? I'd give pom housing a try, they are much less pingy.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 02:27:14 »
Nice work!
Think a lot of people underestimate how much the aluminum case alters the acoustics of switches, some switches are flat out terrible in such uses. I'm half convinced it's not really a good material for keyboards, but there's not a lot of good alternatives.

You can really improve Costar with a heavy handed application of Super Lube. Fill any slot the wires sit in (hinges and slider), it will feel sluggish for a short time then get much better. If you do a switch swap, get some Cherry stabs and follow the many guides on how to work them over. You could do this now with only removing a few switches.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 06:48:37 »
I found pheonix stems sound (markedly) better in the sky lowers (pom) than the (polycarbonate?) ice lowers. Durok housings are PC, right? I'd give pom housing a try, they are much less pingy.

Interesting. I may try that. I'll have to just experiment with what sounds good in the regular durok housings then. I've got the zealio stems left over as well as some invrs.

Nice work!
Think a lot of people underestimate how much the aluminum case alters the acoustics of switches, some switches are flat out terrible in such uses. I'm half convinced it's not really a good material for keyboards, but there's not a lot of good alternatives.

You can really improve Costar with a heavy handed application of Super Lube. Fill any slot the wires sit in (hinges and slider), it will feel sluggish for a short time then get much better. If you do a switch swap, get some Cherry stabs and follow the many guides on how to work them over. You could do this now with only removing a few switches.

Totally. It's strange because the box switches as well as most linears sound excellent in thick metal cases but other clickies (including blue alps) seem to thrive in plastic cases. Then again, my best sounding model F is the 107 made out of cast zinc! Tis a mystery.

Yeah, I lubed the stabs pretty good. I actually lubed the springs too. My main issue was actually the fit of the inserts. they weren't tight enough so not only was mounting them a constant pain but they basically did nothing to stabilize half the keys  :-X

I will look into that cherry mod. I was wondering if there was a way. I would like to get another alu case from them one day so that would be good. Thanks.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 01:25:25 »
Well this was informative, and perhaps not by your design, I have used this review to make a purchase. Of Kailh Box Pinks.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 08:24:50 »
Well this was informative, and perhaps not by your design, I have used this review to make a purchase. Of Kailh Box Pinks.

Show Image

Nice. I love my pinks

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 11:00:13 »
First of all, it's offending that you can call any mechanical "disgusting"

Second, if you don't like Costar stabs, especially with clicky switches where they shine, you're doing it wrong

People don't seem to notice or bother, but costars don't work with low profile GMK keycaps, you have to grind the inner parts of the keycaps to make room for the wire to move, otherwise it will get locked in there, rub inside

With this modification done, without any other complex modifications, it will just click when it engages, but since clicky switches click too, it will blend in
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 20:29:54 »
First of all, it's offending that you can call any mechanical "disgusting"

Second, if you don't like Costar stabs, especially with clicky switches where they shine, you're doing it wrong

People don't seem to notice or bother, but costars don't work with low profile GMK keycaps, you have to grind the inner parts of the keycaps to make room for the wire to move, otherwise it will get locked in there, rub inside

With this modification done, without any other complex modifications, it will just click when it engages, but since clicky switches click too, it will blend in

If you saw the kind of chow under there you would have no qualms with my word choice. And trust me, there are plenty of disgusting mechs out there anyway. Just because an MK is an MK doesn't mean they are all beyond compare or anything.

As far as the costars, my problems have nothing to so with the switch type. I've certainly never experienced the grinding you are describing. What I don't like about them is they are a pain to get caps on and off of and the inserts are too loose so they end up popping out half of the time. Besides, the stabs don't click or rattle because I lubed them properly. In any case, I would never resort to grinding away at my expensive GMK caps.